Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

mormank wrote: »
    So the deal we have with Swansea is basically we cannot sign any players from Swansea for the next 12 months unless Swansea wanna sell.. :rolleyes:

or Allen forces the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

Really unprofessional from Pardew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

My impression of that is that Swansea know that the players who have played under Rodgers really like him as a manager and probably would move to his new club quiet easily if they could.

Therefore they put this clause in to try to stop him stealing a few players who are probably on quite low wages.

However, the new manager may not be a linked to the old players as Rodgers was. Don't know in this case. But given that Laudrup is already buying a few new players another 10 -15m in his kitty probably sounds good to him, given that he probably doesn't really know Allen.

I'd say if the new manager decides to sell then that contract situation may go out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

ya if this were footy manager skrtel would be at city and Mbiwa would be here but it's just not that easy in the real world...

In the real world where very average players like Jordon Henderson and Andy Carroll can be sold for huge money anything is possible.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Kess73 wrote: »
    In the real world where very average players like Jordon Henderson and Andy Carroll can be sold for huge money anything is possible.:D

Anyone else read this in a movie voice over voice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

SlickRic wrote: »
    or Allen forces the move.

...or Liverpool puts more money on the table, than the player is actually worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Swansea statement on Joe Allen expected shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

amiable wrote: »
    £10 million and Shelvey on loan is a fair price in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

£10 million and Shelvey Adam on loan is a fair price in my opinion.

even better

£10 million and Shelvey on loan is a fair price in my opinion.

Apparently the first offer was 15 mill and Downing on loan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Don't want to lose Shelvey on loan, but would be delighted to have him spend 12 months with Laudrup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

£10 million and Shelvey Adam on loan is a fair price in my opinion.
    Leiva wrote: »
    even better

Even better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Shelvey has promise but realistically he won't get much game time with us this season. If he spent the season at Swansea and got 30 or so games under his belt, we would know whether he'll be a Liverpool player or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

There's no gaurantee that Shelvey would get 30+ games at Swansea though.

Sure, he'd probably be nailed on 4th choice but i'd say Britton/De Guzman/Michu would be the starting midfield 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
    @R1chJ only what the B.B.C and the times have already reported, shelvey offered on loan plus £10m million pound. aquilani will be sold.

Never trusted that Jenkins fellow :pac:

Opr

opr wrote: »
    Never trusted that Jenkins fellow :pac:

Opr

I hope he's gone because he's been a pain in the arse.
    More comments from him about taking a paycut to go back to Roma.
    Its not worked out and just to put an end to the whole situation I'd like him gone sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Apparently the first offer was 15 mill and Downing on loan

Wait, seriously? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Its not worked out and just to put an end to the whole situation I'd like him gone sooner rather than later.

It does probably mean that we'd need yet another midfielder.

We'll have Gerrard, Lucas, Allen, Spearing, Adam and Henderson, in a 3 man midfield.

We'd probably have the numbers but Gerrard is probably going to miss half the season and in terms of filling his role as the more advanced of the 3, only adam really fits the bill. Henderson will probably be rotated in for Lucas and Allen and Spearing should be kept in reserve if we're really stuck.

If nobody gets injured at all then grand. But they will and then our midfield wont be up to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Knex. wrote: »
    Wait, seriously? :confused:

It was 15m plus downing on a free, but they didnt want that either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Well he's back at his former club today so I presume he was probably directly asked the question if he would have liked to return which he's hardly going to answer any other way with it being his hometown club.

Opr

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    It does probably mean that we'd need yet another midfielder.

We'll have Gerrard, Lucas, Allen, Spearing, Adam and Henderson, in a 3 man midfield.

We'd probably have the numbers but Gerrard is probably going to miss half the season and in terms of filling his role as the more advanced of the 3, only adam really fits the bill. Henderson will probably be rotated in for Lucas and Allen and Spearing should be kept in reserve if we're really stuck.

If nobody gets injured at all then grand. But they will and then our midfield wont be up to much.

Allen played that role a fair bit at Swansea, especially in the first half of the season.

Well he's back at his former club today so I presume he was probably directly asked the question if he would have liked to return which he's hardly going to answer any other way with it being his hometown club.

Opr

It's been 2 years of this though. He may have excuse with the latest quotes(I don't agree) but he himself and his agent have been mouthing off more than Dave Whelan the last 2 summers

G.K. wrote: »
    Allen played that role a fair bit at Swansea, especially in the first half of the season.

We'll have the same number of midfielders as we did last season (Shelvey's short loan notwithstanding) but we'll be playing with a 3 rather than 2.

We're still short a midfielder in the squad, unless Pacheco or Cole (shudder) would be considered for the Gerrard spot, and one injury away from being in trouble.

What about Dempsey if he comes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

retalivity wrote: »
    It was 15m plus downing on a free, but they didnt want that either

That cant be true. Even 15m plus Downing on loan sounds like bollox.

Lucas, Allen, Gerrard first choice. Henderson first line of backup. whoever is left of Spearing, Adam, Aquilani, Pacheco, Suso and Shelvey to act as backup. I reckon that's plenty

Some peoples sarcasm detectors are way way off today

Lucas, Allen, Gerrard first choice. Henderson first line of backup. whoever is left of Spearing, Adam, Aquilani, Pacheco, Suso and Shelvey to act as backup. I reckon that's plenty

One injury to Lucas and the remaining options are as lacking in steel as they were last season. Allen is not going to play the Lucas role, and the rest showed last season that none of them can bring anything close to what Lucas can in midfield.

Take Lucas out, and we are left with plenty in terms of quantity but little by way of defensive/play breaking quality.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That cant be true. Even 15m plus Downing on loan sounds like bollox.

Whoooooosh

• Advertisement

One injury to Lucas and the remaining options are as lacking in steel as they were last season. Allen is not going to play the Lucas role, and the rest showed last season that none of them can bring anything close to what Lucas can in midfield.

Take Lucas out, and we are left with plenty in terms of quantity but little by way of defensive/play breaking quality.

I think Allen will play the Lucas role, he looks to have very good defensive attributes to me.

I think Allen will play the Lucas role, he looks to have very good defensive attributes to me.

Would regard him as being better than all of our non Lucas options in that department, not that that's saying much tbh, but don't think he is at a level in defensive terms where he could be the main player for breaking up play or providing the midfield steel for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Are they??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

£10 million and Adam Shelvey on loan is a fair price in my opinion.

Leiva wrote: »
    even better

Welcome to this morning :P

. £10m and Adam or Spearing Shelvey on loan and I would've been over the moon.

Opr
    FYP Opr :D

I think Shelvey will play a part this season. He deserves to be a part in the squad next season. He has all the attributes to be a future captain as well. I agree about some comments of his Hollywood passes but more often than not he does the right thing and never looks phased when on the ball. He can also get stuck in when needs be.

G.K. wrote: »
    What about Dempsey if he comes?

Well then I suppose the question is a bit wider.

Is Gerrard, Allen, Lucas, Henderson, Spearing

and Dempsey Suarez Borini enough to cover 6 positions?

We probably won't sell or loan all of Pacheco, Cole, Downing, Carroll, Adam, Shelvey, Aquilani and Bellamy but they've all (I think) been linked with moves away, and it's not clear as to who we've got lined up to replace them. I don't think anyone in the reserves is quite ready to make the step up on a consistent basis.

Would regard him as being better than all of our non Lucas options in that department, not that that's saying much tbh, but don't think he is at a level in defensive terms where he could be the main player for breaking up play or providing the midfield steel for the team.

Well we were always going to get someone not as good as Lucas but better than everyone else at the DM role. I think that's what Allen is. Most of us also wanted that player to be capable of slotting into our first 11 alongside Lucas and Allen certainly ticks that box.

I don't know many players who would fit that mould much better. Maybe Sissoko, but I can understand Rodgers going for the player he knows will step right into his system and know what to do

15 million is too high though, but if the wages are low enough it would not be crazy-expensive in the medium term

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Stat just popped up on side of the ssn screen. 4 of the top 8 players in completed passes were from swansea. Ashley Williams was in 2nd place with 2212, Modric was first with 2214. Britton, Allen and Rangel were the other 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

£10m plus Shelvey on loan for a year for Joe Allen? Swansea reject and want £15m. Jesus wept, that is absolutely insane from both parties.

Looks like nothing has been learned from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You know that comparing the two deals is like comparing apples and oranges so why the big LOL??? Come on...

Meireles is a better player than Allen. If we keep shifting better players out for poorer players (at a net loss!) we ain't going nowhere baby. The club didn't make a push to keep Meireles, it was 'oh right, seeya'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I knew retalivity was joking but I honestly didn't know with your post as you had just mentioned an announcement was due :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Meireles is a better player than Allen. If we keep shifting better players out for poorer players (at a net loss!) we ain't going nowhere baby. The club didn't make a push to keep Meireles, it was 'oh right, seeya'.

yeah, it was that simple.

he asked to leave/said he wasn't signing a new contract, what's the point in dragging something out.

Maybe he was asked once, in private, if he'd reconsider, told the manager/board member/whoever/his agent there'd be no point in LFC offering him an improved deal, he just wanted out.

Maybe all of this was done behind closed doors, which is where I'd hope most of the clubs dealings are done, and not dragged out over the press like this Allen deal is, and maybe you just never heard about it, because, much as you like everyone to believe, you don't have some super duper inside knowledge of Liverpool Football Club, you are an ordinary old fan, like the rest of us posting here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Melion wrote: »
    Stat just popped up on side of the ssn screen. 4 of the top 8 players in completed passes were from swansea. Ashley Williams was in 2nd place with 2212, Modric was first with 2214. Britton, Allen and Rangel were the other 3.

Joe Allen is tidy on the ball but I would take stats like that with a pinch of salt. Most of Swansea's passes last season were in their own half under zero pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Des wrote: »

he asked to leave/said he wasn't signing a new contract, what's the point in dragging something out.

Maybe he was asked once, in private, if he'd reconsider, told the manager/board member/whoever/his agent there'd be no point in LFC offering him an improved deal, he just wanted out.

Maybe all of this was done behind closed doors, which is where I'd hope most of the clubs dealings are done, and not dragged out over the press like this Allen deal is, and maybe you just never heard about it, because, much as you like everyone to believe, you don't have some super duper inside knowledge of Liverpool Football Club, you are an ordinary old fan, like the rest of us posting here.

Can't agree on Raul, not in the situation we found ourselves.

Should have rejected the late bid.

Can't believe Swansea rejected our bid - kinda hope we leave it at that.

Have a horrible feeling of deja vu from the Carroll deadline day where we just kept bidding and bidding.

Des wrote: »

The bolded is very wtf? :confused: I've never indicated any insider knowledge on the goings on of Liverpool FC (or any other club), and have infact posted against the idea of "inside" knowledge existing on any form of footballing media - traditional or otherwise.

Where do you conjure such a perception from? :rolleyes:

================

As to the rest of the post, we should have rejected the offer and let it play out till Christmas. He was too integral to our rotation to be let go without any sort of fight. If he had to go in January, fair enough, but we would have been in a better position to offer more money and illicit a more appropriate fee.

In any case, my understanding of his deal was that he had been signed on a relatively low number in 2010 and was always someone who we needed to offer an improved deal to keep happy. He certainly earned one anyway during his season here imo.

Well we were always going to get someone not as good as Lucas but better than everyone else at the DM role. I think that's what Allen is. Most of us also wanted that player to be capable of slotting into our first 11 alongside Lucas and Allen certainly ticks that box.

I don't know many players who would fit that mould much better. Maybe Sissoko, but I can understand Rodgers going for the player he knows will step right into his system and know what to do

15 million is too high though, but if the wages are low enough it would not be crazy-expensive in the medium term

Allen for me is the kind of player that many on here were claiming that Henderson is/could be. A playmaker who can play from deep or in a more advanced role, and who can defend by applying pressure. Now I don't think Henderson is actually that kind of player at all and I don't think he is even close to being in the same ball park in terms of quality, but Allen is. What Allen is not, imho of course, is the kind of midfielder who could anchor our midfield without a Lucas type player beside him.

Totally agree about the touted price. Said earlier today that he is about £5m overpriced.

But I disagree on there not being a lot of players around that tick the same boxes that Allen does, and to a similar or better level but who would be cheaper to buy.

Allen for £10m would be a good buy as he is a much better player in a CM role than the likes of Spearing, Adam, and Henderson who are squad level players. Plus given Allen's age, if he settled well on the pitch then Henderson, Adam, and Spearing would not be seeing much game time. So on that basis he would be an upgrade on the options we have to play alongside Lucas in a 4-3-3.

My worry would be Lucas. I don't think a combination of Allen plus other other CM options would be good enough to cope should Lucas get injured again as I think the lack of quality amongst the back ups would see Allen become overworked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

@BenSmithBBC: Swansea confirm #LFC's interest in Joe Allen but also say they are not the only PL club interested in the player. #Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Wolves keeper Dorus De Vries linked to Liverpool for £9 million

only kidding on the fee

The guy is 31. I have never heard of him. £9m from us on a backup keeper?
    Would be pretty nutty.

edit: you gots me.
    If we keep shifting better players out for poorer players (at a net loss!) we ain't going nowhere baby.

132814d1297299557-eamon-dunphys-russian-muppets-eamon-dunphy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

The management have to take responsibility here. If the manager wanted him he wouldn't have been sold. Another big error in judgement

The management have to take responsibility here. If the manager wanted him he wouldn't have been sold. Another big error in judgement

I don't disagree with that - I raged about it on here on the day it happened. We did poxy business last summer, but the club don't appear to be learning from it...

I don't disagree with that - I raged about it on here on the day it happened. We did poxy business last summer, but the club don't appear to be learning from it...

Come 1st September we will have a better idea on that tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

nearly had a heart attack, just finished golf and turned on the car radio to hear liverpool had bid 10million and shelvey for joe allen. The fukcers never mentioned it was shelvey on loan!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement