Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Melion wrote: »
    So you think Hodgson wasn't doing what he thought was best?

Not for the club. For him & his "reputation". Blame everyone else, the players, the fans, previous manager etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mr Alan wrote: »
    LOL :D

Whatever your thoughts on Kenny, he was doing what he felt was best for the club, it's fans & the team on the pitch. Maybe he was wrong. But his heart was in the right place.

Roy was just....ugh....even remembering him makes me sad. What a stain he is on the clubs managerial history :(

Just to ask, when you came home that faithful day and caught Kenny in bed with your missus, did you wait a few days or did you blame Roy straight away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Whatever your thoughts on Kenny, he was doing what he felt was best for the club, it's fans & the team on the pitch. Maybe he was wrong. But his heart was in the right place.

Roy was just....ugh....even remembering him makes me sad. What a stain he is on the clubs managerial history :(

TBF King Kenny left a far bigger stain on your club than Roy ever could.

His antics were appalling at times and he didn't even have the dignity to step down in the end, he had to be forced out.

You give KK an easy time just because he was a legend for ye as a player but the reality is he was embarrassing the club off and on field.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

His antics were appalling at times and he didn't even have the dignity to step down in the end, he had to be forced out.

You give KK an easy time just because he was a legend for ye as a player but the reality is he was embarrassing the club off and on field.

I think you should give careful thought to that

noodler wrote: »
    Just to ask, when you came home that faithful day and caught Kenny in bed with your missus, did you wait a few days or did you blame Roy straight away?

What the fook has that got to do with anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Back in your box william.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

amiable wrote: »
    What the fook has that got to do with anything?

Like Lloyd, blind loyalty to Kenny I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he didn't even have the dignity to step down in the end, he had to be forced out.

yet he had the dignity to forego his compensation package of £9m and tell the bosses to spend it on players.

it doesn't add up does it? think about it.

and Kenny could never be a "stain" on the club. he worked for the club with dignity, always putting the club first whether he was right or wrong.

that is a ridiculous, pathetic jibe.

El-Hadji Diouf was a stain on the club.

Kenny...um, not quite.

seriously, shut up, you have no clue what you are on about.

Like Lloyd, blind loyalty to Kenny I'd imagine.

What's wrong with loyalty to someone who has earned it?

What's wrong with loyalty to someone who has earned it?

No problem with loyalty to someone, its blind loyalty and not being able to realise when that person does something wrong is my issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Friendly reminder, I'm watching you all. ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUazXNUAtOwkvXyAi55u-0tq404zNbemuA83ecAEh3D0L0qCJzhQ

No problem with loyalty to someone, its blind loyalty and not being able to realise when that person does something wrong is my issue.

I don't see that as blind loyalty

I don't see that as blind loyalty

His heart was in the right place? Cry me a fúcking river

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Funny how certain people can call Hodgon's character into question in such a disgraceful manner for a couple of silly comments overhyping performances yet cry at the sacking of a manager who pretty much made a fool of himself defending someone adjudged to have made racist remarks and really bringing the club's reputation into question.

Poor Roy, if only he had realised being a Liverpool legend allows you spout whatever crap you want.

The problem is that isn't everyone's view of what happened. The bolded is a perception or opinion, and very far from a hard fact.

His heart was in the right place? Cry me a fúcking river

What the fcuk are you on about now? Cry you a river?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What??? Kenny went away with Alan's wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/sheep, and that Hodgson fella gave Kenny a lift over?

Right toerag that Roy chap.

What the fcuk are you on about now? Cry you a river?

It's embarrassing IMO to see Alan and Lloyd pining over Dalglish because of what he did in the 80s. Nothing he did last season justifies the man crush they both have.

Not for the club. For him & his "reputation". Blame everyone else, the players, the fans, previous manager etc etc.

I really dislike it when you say something that I cannot disagree with. :D

Uruguay kicking off soon against UAE on bbc2. Expecting a few goals for Luis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

injury free will do me .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

SlickRic wrote: »
    yet he had the dignity to forego his compensation package of £9m and tell the bosses to spend it on players.

and Kenny could never be a "stain" on the club. he worked for the club with dignity, always putting the club first whether he was right or wrong.

Kenny...um, not quite.

Do you have a source for that please?

Sounds like romantic nonsense to me.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Friendly reminder, I'm watching you all. ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUazXNUAtOwkvXyAi55u-0tq404zNbemuA83ecAEh3D0L0qCJzhQ

Come on Corkonian, make the switch to red. :p You already have it in your username.

You are one of us. Funny accent, team in red, real capital etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Leiva wrote: »
    injury free will do me .
    & Controversy free

It's embarrassing IMO to see Alan and Lloyd pining over Dalglish because of what he did in the 80s. Nothing he did last season justifies the man crush they both have.

And you couldn't just write that the first time?

It might have something to do with the fact he was the best player to ever play for Liverpool.
    It might be to do with the fact that he was the first manager to achieve a league and cup double with Liverpool.
    Or that he won the league with Blackburn and denied United a league victory.
    Or the fact he breathes Liverpool.
    Or that he went to as many funerals as possible and ensured there was a Liverpool presence at every Hillsborough funeral.
    Also that he had the best team in the country playing for him when it all became too much for him and had to walk away the first time?
    Or that he wanted everyone at the club to stick together unlike facking Woy Hodgson who had a go at fans and players alike.

No doubt Kenny made mistakes but I think blind loyalty is when someone won't admit they made a mistake. Mr Alan and Lloyd have both said he made mistakes.

SlickRic wrote: »

Kenny...um, not quite.

Nowt more than an internet rumour I'm afraid.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/05/19/blood-red-ex-liverpool-fc-boss-kenny-dalglish-didn-t-give-up-his-pay-off-100252-31001322/

True if Kenny was only judged on last season and his entire history with the club was ignored.

But Kenny's actual history with the club from 1977 to last May does warrant a hell of a lot of respect and I can see how it would easily spawn man crushes.

Last season was not a good one for Kenny, but his legacy at Liverpool, both on and off the pitch is secure, and there is no way last season tarnishes that imho.

And you couldn't just write that the first time?

It might have something to do with the fact he was the best player to ever play for Liverpool.
    It might be to do with the fact that he was the first manager to achieve a league and cup double with Liverpool.
    Or that he won the league with Blackburn and denied United a league victory.
    Or the fact he breathes Liverpool.
    Or that he went to as many funerals as possible and ensured there was a Liverpool presence at every Hillsborough funeral.
    Also that he had the best team in the country playing for him when it all became too much for him and had to walk away the first time?
    Or that he wanted everyone at the club to stick together unlike facking Woy Hodgson who had a go at fans and players alike.

No doubt Kenny made mistakes but I think blind loyalty is when someone won't admit they made a mistake. Mr Alan and Lloyd have both said he made mistakes.

I don't care what he did as a player.
    I dont care what he did as a manager in the 80's.
    I don't care what he did as blackburn manager with Walkers money.
    I DON'T CARE WHAT HE DID IN THE 80'S.

The fact is he was not far off relegation form in the 2nd half of last season.
    We played 5 matches to get to the fa cup final, United were the only game we did well to win and very nearly threw that away. We were lucky to beat Everton and were then schooled by Chelsea bar the final 15 minutes.
    Penalties to beat Cardiff in the league cup says it all, especially when you remember that we didn't even deserve extra time.

It's time people took off the rose tinted glasses and realise that Kenny just was not able to be so involved in the game at such a high level anymore. SAF has evolved from 1986, Kenny has not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Fupp that, hope they play crap and go out at the group stage so we can have Suarez back earlier.

We played 5 matches to get to the fa cup final, United were the only game we did well to win and very nearly threw that away. We were lucky to beat Everton and were then schooled by Chelsea bar the final 15 minutes.
    Penalties to beat Cardiff in the league cup says it all, especially when you remember that we didn't even deserve extra time.

It's time people took off the rose tinted glasses and realise that Kenny just was not able to be so involved in the game at such a high level anymore. SAF has evolved from 1986, Kenny has not.

Cry me a fcukin river

• Advertisement

Cry me a fcukin river

At least use it in the right context :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

I think Henry's comments re Kenny are fine really. Kenny was a short term manager and while they had intended to find a replacement before asking him to step aside, the league results for the second half of the season meant that he had to go at the end of the season regardless.

He has not set the same target for Rodgers this season:
    "We don't want to put any pressure on Brendan by saying you have got to make the Champions League this year," said Henry, who has met up with the Liverpool squad at the start of their pre-season tour of the United States. "Of course he wants to make the Champions League, we all do and so does every team in the Premier League. from here

This also seems like a reasonable approach to me, given how poor we were last season and how poorly the new signings worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Suarez getting booed at Old Trafford even in the Olympics :eek:

Simple fact is that Kenny is going to get respect despite last season, and he is going to be loved in Liverpool long after he dies.

Maybe he is not able for the game at the highest level anymore, but he is no longer manager of the club and as such he is in a position again where he can be gushed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

delw wrote: »

hilarious:D

Kess73 wrote: »
    Simple fact is that Kenny is going to get respect despite last season, and he is going to be loved in Liverpool long after he dies.

Maybe he is not able for the game at the highest level anymore, but he is no longer manager of the club and as such he is in a position again where he can be gushed over.

Gush away by all means but for people to say someone like BR replacing him is disgraceful is just not right. His one year in the premier league was better than anything Kenny managed since winning the title in 1995

• Advertisement

delw wrote: »

Some dedication by all those United fans. Driving up from London to boo Suarez takes commitment.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

So you are forgetting how he re united a fan-base in Civil war for that I will be forever grateful . Plus he has done more for this club then nearly anybody in its history so yeah I can overlook the last 6 months of his managerial career . I actually remember sitting in my local and a few of us had a feeling the FA cup final would be his last shot at a trophy and the mood was horrible . Every Liverpool fan I knew was behind him and always will be he still a legend and always will be .
    What killed him is the fact he was out of the game too long but that didn't matter in our hour of need he came knowing he could fairly destroy his reputation and for that alone he deserves respect .

So you are forgetting how he re united a fan-base in Civil war for that I will be forever grateful . Plus he has done more for this club then nearly anybody in its history so yeah I can overlook the last 6 months of his managerial career . I actually remember sitting in my local and a few of us had a feeling the FA cup final would be his last shot at a trophy and the mood was horrible . Every Liverpool fan I knew was behind him and always will be he still a legend and always will be .

Well done on completely missing the point

Well done on completely missing the point

What part of Clare are you from?

Gush away by all means but for people to say someone like BR replacing him is disgraceful is just not right. His one year in the premier league was better than anything Kenny managed since winning the title in 1995

Don't agree with some of the comments about Rodgers as we cannot judge him yet, but I do see where people are coming from as many expected/hoped for an obvious upgrade on Kenny once Kenny was sacked.

Rodgers may indeed turn out to be that upgrade, but his one season in the EPL does not make him an obvious one.

• Advertisement

Ahh don't be starting a Limerick-Clare war. Clare folk are much finer neighbours than that Tipperary shower ;)

Shannon, why?

Shannon, why?

Exactly

Don't agree with some of the comments about Rodgers as we cannot judge him yet, but I do see where people are coming from as many expected/hoped for an obvious upgrade on Kenny once Kenny was sacked.

Rodgers may indeed turn out to be that upgrade, but his one season in the EPL does not make him an obvious one.

That's my point. Judging them both on last season, rodgers is a big upgrade.

Exactly

Good one, I think???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Well i think Rodgers getting the job can also be the fact he has a system and with the likes of John Henry being big into systems and figures he probably saw Rogders as the man he wanted running LFC or maybe they took a good hard look at how Swansea played and wanted their team to play like that too.

Well i think Rodgers getting the job can also be the fact he has a system and with the likes of John Henry being big into systems and figures he probably saw Rogders as the man he wanted running LFC or maybe they took a good hard look at how Swansea played and wanted their team to play like that too.

I can see the logic of hiring Rodgers, and I defo think the guy has it in him to be a good manager.

I'm just saying that I can also see where people are coming from when they say they are not overjoyed at his appointment.

Shannon, why?

Ah feck, I might have to give the Limerick -Clare war my blessing afterall. :p

I can see the logic of hiring Rodgers, and I defo think the guy has it in him to be a good manager.

I'm just saying that I can also see where people are coming from when they say they are not overjoyed at his appointment.

People calling for Pep and Mourinho were being dillusional. We are not the big name we used to be, and I'm sure a lot of big managers looked at how Rafa was treated by a lot of "fans", why would they get involved in a situation like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I don't blame Roy for any underperformance of any other manager? :confused:

Funny though, that's what Roy does though.

Kenny is responsible for Kenny's failings. Roy is responsible for Roys. I know who's are graver.

Kenny is cooler than the fonz. Hodgson is a cretin - that kinda sums it all up tbh.

How embarrasing for you :P:pac:

The fact is the first half we were CL contenders form.

The 6 months before that we were top 4/title challenging form.

Is it only the most recent period which is relevant for you? Are you a goldfish by any chance? :confused:

Here's an interesting point, ready?

Since returning to the PL Kenny Dalglish has without question shown more to believe he could get Liverpool into the top 4 than Rodgers has in the same time period. This includes Kenny having his team playing at least equally as attractive football & displaying more tactical astuteness. That's not even up for debate tbh. The only exception to that is the last few months of Kenny's reign where we were regularly poor (but often decent too), but as stated above, I refuse to believe you are a goldfish.
    Melion wrote:

Actually, it appeared he was perfectly capable for about 13 months of his 18 month stint in charge. He had a really bad spell at the end, no doubt. Again, though, the majority of the time at the club again, he had the team performing well.

Where Ferguson & Utd have differed is that they've not cut Ferguson loose after every bad spell he has had claiming that he was a dinosaur etc etc Who'd have thought stability was good for a club?! :confused::P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement