Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Downing is already cover.

I don't think he will be here come September either. There will be quite a few clubs willing to take him off our hands I'd imagine

On loan or on a permanent basis?
    Possibly another player Liverpool need to cut their losses on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

amiable wrote: »

Permanently, I'd hope.

Forgetting the obscene price we paid for him last summer - I'd be happy to get anything for him. The main thing is to get his wages off our books, and any price we get after that is a bonus. We will certainly be looking at an even bigger % loss than we will on Carroll.

Permanently, I'd hope.

Forgetting the obscene price we paid for him last summer - I'd be happy to get anything for him. The main thing is to get his wages off our books, and any price we get after that is a bonus. We will certainly be looking at an even bigger % loss than we will on Carroll.

If I were to guess it would be a fee of around £8 million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Possibly?!

amiable he has been by far the worst purchase of the past 18months.

It's frustrating that Carroll is getting all the slack and spot light, as Downing has been absolutely terrible.

The fella is as yellow as they come and it amazes me how he manages to stay below the radar.

Leiva wrote: »
    Possibly?!

It's frustrating that Carroll is getting all the slack and spot light, as Downing has been absolutely terrible.

The fella is as yellow as they come and it amazes me how he manages to stay below the radar.

True, he's actually barely been mentioned this summer.

Looking forward to tonight's match, will be a good test. It will be interesting to see what Rodgers does with Gerrard. The chase of Allen suggests Gerrard will not be first choice in the midfield "2" which would be welcome news.

Would not be surprised to see him start wide left cutting inside. It's certainly where I'd play him.

Possibly?!

Badly worded by me. :)
    I meant he'll either stay because we couldn't find a buyer or if we do it will be at a massive loss.
    It's his own fault IMHO as I don't think he put in the required effort.

True, he's actually barely been mentioned this summer.

Looking forward to tonight's match, will be a good test. It will be interesting to see what Rodgers does with Gerrard. The chase of Allen suggests Gerrard will not be first choice in the midfield "2" which would be welcome news.

Would not be surprised to see him start wide left cutting inside. It's certainly where I'd play him.
    Like during games. Anonymous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Carroll would be an absolute beast for West Ham.

I will be putting a few bob on him for top goal scorer if he goes there.

djPSB wrote: »
    Carroll would be an absolute beast for West Ham.

I will be putting a few bob on him for top goal scorer if he goes there.

If your talking about top league goal scorer then I will take that bet off you if you want .

If your talking about top league goal scorer then I will take that bet off you if you want .

We'll see if he goes to West Ham.

He's 25/1. Wouldn't touch him while he's with us because he probably won't be in the team all the time.

But if he's with West Ham in a team that's built around him, and playing every game, I'd fancy him to do well.

Worthy of a small each way bet I think.

I actually thought Kenny should have tried to play more direct to Carroll's strengths when we were struggling last season. Players like Downing and Adam would also have benefited.

• Advertisement

Your right he will do better at WHU if they put the players around him rather than if he stayed at Liverpool.

But when I say better I'm talking probably only breaking double figures.

The guy at PL level has done nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Like during games. Anonymous

I`ve heard people say if we had better strikers that could convert the chances he creates he`d look better but I`m not having that.

He`s afraid to take an opponent on and he just keeps firing in crosses without ever looking up.

Fire it into the box...hope someone gets on the end of it....not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

@Irishkop1892: Reports of a £16.3 million bid submitted by Liverpool has been accepted by Bologna for Gaston Ramirez #Reports #LFC #Ramirez

Would Downing become cover then ? ... Not a bad bench option .

Lucas
    ---Gerrard
    Allen----
    Suarez
    Ramirez
    Borini

Subs:
    Spearing
    ----Hendo
    Shelvey--
    Sterling
    Downing-
    Carroll

Also: Suso, Pacheco

Sell: Aquilani, Cole, Adam & Bellamy (if he's crocked). Kuyt & Maxi gone.

Not bad setup. 4-3-3 probably suits the players at Rodgers disposal better than 4-2-3-1 at the moment. Possibly lack strength in depth.

Your right he will do better at WHU if they put the players around him rather than if he stayed at Liverpool.

But when I say better I'm taking probably only breaking double figures.

The guy at PL level has done nothing.

I've defended him from the start. There are alot of people to blame in the Andy Carroll fiasco, but he is least at fault.

For the first half of last season he was poor, he was in and out of the team and couldn't get going.

For the second half of the season, he was very good IMO. Perhaps he didn't score enough goals but nobody did. The whole system was banjaxed.

I remember him putting in a man of the match performance against the Mancs in the FA cup, getting the winner against Everton in the league, getting the winner against Everton in the Cup, him single handedly bringing us back from the dead in an FA Cup final, getting the winner against Blackburn in the league.

To be honest, if all our players put in the heart and effort that Carroll put in for the second half of last season, we wouldn't have nose dived so badly and Kenny may still have a job.

He scored 11 goals in his first season in the Premier League.

I think if he goes to somewhere like West Ham that play to his strengths and play him consistently, he will become a very good striker.

But unfortunately, he hasn't been given the platform at Liverpool to fulfill his potential as of yet anyway.

Seamu$ wrote: »

Lucas
    ---Gerrard
    Allen----
    Suarez
    Ramirez
    Borini

Subs:
    Spearing
    ----Hendo
    Shelvey--
    Sterling
    Downing-
    Carroll

Not bad setup. 4-3-3 probably suits the players at Rodgers disposal better than 4-2-3-1 at the moment. Possibly lack strength in depth.

Spearing shouldn't be making our second team if we have any aspirations of progressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Seamu$ wrote: »

Lucas
    ---Gerrard
    Allen----
    Suarez
    Ramirez
    Borini

Subs:
    Spearing
    ----Hendo
    Shelvey--
    Sterling
    Downing-
    Carroll

Would be surprised if Ramirez was bought as a winger or wide forward.

He is an attacking midfielder who can play in an advanced wide role rather than being an actual winger or wide player. He drifts out to the wide spots during games at club level but he does not get put there as his main position.

He is more suited to the advanced midfield role of a midfield trio in a 4-3-3 (which is how he is normally used) or the AM role in a 4-2-3-1 than he is to be used as a full time wide player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Take Lucas and Gerrard out of that team and its a very ordinary midfield. As Lloyd mentioned earlier Gerrard should be viewed as a bonus when he's fit not basing your team around him. And an injury or suspension to Lucas and we are back with the same problems as last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting stuff and a riposte to those who thought FSG were just grabbing at the first (or second!) vaguely plausible young manager they could attract.

Love to be able to see inside it.

mav79 wrote: »
    Take Lucas and Gerrard out of that team and its a very ordinary midfield. As Lloyd mentioned earlier Gerrard should be viewed as a bonus when he's fit not basing your team around him. And an injury or suspension to Lucas and we are back with the same problems as last year.

Allen played the Lucas role the other night for GB and looked very solid imo.

He is no Lucas in that position, but I think he can do a very good job there, he is a good passer and will never be afraid to receive the ball from the centre-backs, and he is tigerish in defense.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Interesting stuff and a riposte to those who thought FSG were just grabbing at the first (or second!) vaguely plausible young manager they could attract.

Love to be able to see inside it.

Now we know why Rodgers hasn't made many signings.

He's been working on his thesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

£20m-rated Liverpool target Ramirez 'in talks with Premier League club'

Uruguayan Olympian Gaston Ramirez is moving closer to a move to Liverpool after his agent admitted he was in talks with a Premier League club.
    New Anfield boss Brendan Rodgers is keen to bolster his attacking options and the 21-year-old - who scored a sublime free-kick as Uruguay beat the United Arab Emirates 2-1 on Thursday - fits the bill perfectly.

Ramirez, who is rated at £20million by his club Bologna, has enjoyed two successful seasons in Serie A after leaving Penarol in his homeland in 2010.
    The playmaker has no shortage of admirers - with Barcelona, Milan, Inter, Tottenham and both Manchester clubs all monitoring his situation - but Liverpool are thought to be in pole position.
    ‘Gaston is ready to leave Italy - so much so I am in England for talks with a Premier League club,’ agent Pablo Betancourt told Mercato.

Highly-rated: Ramirez is valued by his club at £20m
    ‘He is one of the most important players in Uruguray, so there are no shortage of offers.’
    Ramirez - capable of playing on either flank or behind the main striker - is Liverpool's No 1 target after they cooled their interest in Fulham's Clint Dempsey.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2179693/Gaston-Ramirez-talks-Premier-League-club.html#ixzz21uR5Xmhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

180 pages!!!! ****ing hell. I am starting to get a really bad feeling about this season already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bowlardo wrote: »
    180 pages!!!! ****ing hell. I am starting to get a really bad feeling about this season already

Why would an in-depth thesis on management get you worried? Surely it's a positive sign, no?

I can think of a few managers that take a similar approach to the game and who have built up records of their tactics, theories etc.

As long as it is not 180 pages of crayola scrawls, I would see it as being a good indicator as to the type of manager Rodgers aspires to become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Surely it`s a sign of a man who takes his job very seriously?

What`s wrong with that?

• Advertisement

Of all the things to criticise Rodgers for I don't think this is one tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Kess73 wrote: »
    I can think of a few managers that take a similar approach to the game and who have built up records of their tactics, theories etc.

As long as it is not 180 pages of crayola scrawls, I would see it as being a good indicator as to the type of manager Rodgers aspires to become.

You're thinking of Harry's dossier there Kess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

donald-plays-soccer.gif

Page 1
    Striking the ball

Page 2

Ball control

1287507497_horse-plazying-with-big-ball.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Page 2

Ball control

Andy looking like his old self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

That horse never gets old :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Page 2

Why we must sell Andy Carroll

FYP :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

I'd be very surprised if Rodgers was the only manager who has something like this 180 page dossier. As long as its not another dodgy dossier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Marca carrying quotes from Amorebieta's agent confirming Liverpool's interest:

http://www.marca.com/2012/07/27/en/football/spanish_football/1343408429.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

We're supposedly preparing an £18m deal for Benficas Gaitan according to some Portuguese paper, smashing player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Liverpool: Jones, Enrique, Flanagan, Skrtel, Carragher, Spearing, Shelvey, Adam, Downing, Cole, Morgan.

Subs: Gulacsi, Wisdom, Henderson, Eccleston, Sterling, Sama, Wilson, Robinson, Gerrard, Lucas, Borini, Carroll.

Did Smith get time against Roma?

Hoki wrote: »
    We're supposedly preparing an £18m deal for Benficas Gaitan according to some Portuguese paper, smashing player

Source/Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

G.K. wrote: »
    Liverpool: Jones, Enrique, Flanagan, Skrtel, Carragher, Spearing, Shelvey, Adam, Downing, Cole, Morgan.

Subs: Gulacsi, Wisdom, Henderson, Eccleston, Sterling, Sama, Wilson, Robinson, Gerrard, Lucas, Borini, Carroll.

No Pacheco, Suso or Aquilani :(

Opr

G.K. wrote: »

I feel a bit sick every time I see Cole,Adam,Downing and spearing in a team line up :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

opr wrote: »

Opr

all been transfer listed apparently

pacheco is going on a free to celtic

a deal to loan suso to granada for the season, he is homesick

and aquilani is also available on a free, panathanikos and fenerhbace trying to agree deals to sign him, wages a problem

There is a very definite pattern to the type of player we are being linked to for the AM/CAM slot. Really makes me think that Henderson, Spearing, Adam, and Shelvey are miles off the pace in terms of the technical abilities that Rodgers is looking for both the CM role alongside Lucas and for the AM role at the tip of the midfield triangle.

Looking at the names being mentioned or that have slipped by....

Sigurdsson
    Ramirez
    Dembele
    Gaitan

All are quite similar in terms of their best position (AM/CAM) and all are high quality in terms of technical ability, workrate, and reading of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

That'd be the guts of the transfer budget gone though wouldn't it? He is a cracking little player though from what I've seen.

You'd have to imagine Rogers intends on persisting with Cole judging by how many starts he's getting in the friendlies, I mean if he was using it to decide on whether to keep him or not you'd have your mind made up at this stage surely.

opr wrote: »

Opr

which is a shame as I would love to see Borini in the same XI as at least two of the above at the same time

cson wrote: »
    That'd be the guts of the transfer budget gone though wouldn't it? He is a cracking little player though from what I've seen.

You'd have to imagine Rogers intends on persisting with Cole judging by how many starts he's getting in the friendlies, I mean if he was using it to decide on whether to keep him or not you'd have your mind made up at this stage surely.

Think back to last summer. Aquilani and Cole got plenty of time in the preseason games.

There is a very definite pattern to the type of player we are being linked to for the AM/CAM slot. Really makes me think that Henderson, Spearing, Adam, and Shelvey are miles off the pace in terms of the technical abilities that Rodgers is looking for both the CM role alongside Lucas and for the AM role at the tip of the midfield triangle.

Looking at the names being mentioned or that have slipped by....

Sigurdsson
    Ramirez
    Dembele
    Gaitan

All are quite similar in terms of their best position (AM/CAM) and all are high quality in terms of technical ability, workrate, and reading of the game.

Didnt hear us once being linked with Dembele. :confused:

joe123 wrote: »
    Didnt hear us once being linked with Dembele. :confused:

He was mentioned once or twice in the reports about Dempsey.

He also refused to sign a contract extension last month and in now in the final year of his contract.

If we loose Suso it would be a disaster imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Is Agger injured? When is Reina due back?
    donfers wrote: »

and aquilani is also available on a free, panathanikos and fenerhbace trying to agree deals to sign him, wages a problem

Really? :(

• Advertisement

donfers wrote: »

I really wish people would throw up a link or a source when they post up transfer rumours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement