Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

amiable wrote: »
    Who is?

Charlie Adam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

djPSB wrote: »
    Charlie Adam.

Type that again but this time with a straight face :D

Type that again but this time with a straight face :D

Youtube videos are deceiving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Walcott for <£10 million .

discuss ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Yes, I'd take Walcott for less than £10m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Kirby wrote: »
    I didn't suggest it. Everyone else does in their arguments. The Kennet twitter post itself was labelled "Why LFC should sign Joe Allen?"

This is getting silly. I'm not even sure what we are arguing about. I certainly don't want to sign players on the back of stats alone but they do add to the overall argument that he's a good player.

His price is probably on the high side but you won't find many young players his age as tactically developed who understand the midfield role in the way Joe Allen does. For instance Shelvey might actually be a more technically gifted footballer but he's miles behind Allen in terms of development. Shelvey looks completely clueless at times when watching him in the middle of the park. Granted he's a couple of years younger but it's more because Allen has been developed through youth teams with the playing style and tactical development at Swansea. Rodgers can't put a price on that kind of thing as he looks to embed a similar ideology into Liverpool. English academies up till now don't seem to produce many tactically aware players especially in the midfield role.

Players who understand the midfield role on the kind of tactical level that Allen seems to show tend to have that trait often overlooked as it was in Lucas for such a long time. It's only something you truly appreciate when you watch the likes of Gerrard struggle playing in that area because he was never coached properly as a kid yet he is one of the most technically gifted footballers ever.

He's overpriced but also it looks underrated by many. Rodgers has spent 15 years coaching youth football so you would like to think having worked with the lad he's probably best placed to judge. He clearly seems to rate the lad very highly.

Opr

Mr Alan wrote: »

He can be so frustrating to watch sometimes but I suppose if you asked RVP he would say otherwise with the amount of final passes he received from him to score last season .

Suarez - Borini - Walcott

would scare any back line and would have all the pace to also defend and close down from the front in (wait for it .............) the new system .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Really looking forward to Saturday, Rogers has said all the right things so far now to see the way he implements them. On the transfer front the main feeling i have is underwhelmed, the players we are linked with might do a job and improve the team but there is no one that really excites me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Leiva wrote: »

discuss ..

<£10m and <£60,000 a week wages, then yes I could get on board on that. I wouldn't be massively excited by it but it'd be an improvement in a position we need at an affordable price and he would add some much needed pace.

I still think there's probably other options in other leagues (don't ask me who) that could be got for cheaper and lower wages. Who was the guy from Olympiakos people were talking about? He could be a better option..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mr Alan wrote: »

As someone posted sometime last week, we are in no position to be turning our nose up at Walcott.

However, considering he's already on 60k a week and is looking for 100k, I'd have my reservations.

Last year I thought he improved quite a bit at Arsenal, and after RVP I doubt anyone was involved directly in as many goals as he was. At 23 he could still improve, yet sometimes I'm not sure if the intelligence is there.

That said, his pace alone is something we are sadly lacking and would allow us to stretch teams and be a threat from the counter once again.

Morzadec wrote: »
    <£10m and <£60,000 a week wages, then yes I could get on board on that. I wouldn't be massively excited by it but it'd be an improvement in a position we need at an affordable price and he would add some much needed pace.

I still think there's probably other options in other leagues (don't ask me who) that could be got for cheaper and lower wages. Who was the guy from Olympiakos people were talking about? He could be a better option..

Mirallas

Mirallas

I wouldn't put him at Walcott's quality atm tbh.

I'd prefer if the Mertens rumours were true all things considered. Looks like he could be a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

mike65 wrote: »
    Fair play to her, she could just swan about the house dressed in little more than satin knickers but instead she's out and about getting to know the lads.

Yea Mighty Red is awesome

Knex. wrote: »
    I wouldn't put him at Walcott's quality atm tbh.

I'd prefer if the Mertens rumours were true all things considered. Looks like he could be a great player.

I think the fee mentioned for Mertens was around 15 million where as Mirallas has a release fee of 6.4 million I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Ape X wrote: »
    But I don't want to see a magic trick!

Im watching tdk while reading the thread tonight & that scene was on 2 mins before reading that :eek: nearly spat my beer out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Why on earth would Walcott turn down another Arsenal contract and come to us?

But yes, theoretically, after the season he just had, I'd take him.

James Pearce:
    Liverpool won't pay £10M for Dempsey. The player has made it clear he wants the move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

If we can get Dempsey for less than 10million I'll be pretty pleased with that.

Dr Galen wrote: »
    If we can get Dempsey for less than 10million I'll be pretty pleased with that.

I would say the club are hoping to do a deal at around 7 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Why are there 220 posts since 4pm, has anything happened or is just because the new thread is new and shiny?

• Advertisement

I think the word 'system' has been over used a little lately.

I suggest we use the word 'orchestra' from now on.

Will the wheelbarrow fit the orchestra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why are there 220 posts since 4pm, has anything happened or is just because the new thread is new and shiny?

People who should know better have been arguing about things beyond their control which are now a matter of history!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Lads where will dempsey in a 433 for ye? centre mid/ attacking mid?

Seems a bit old for ye to be buying really, who have thought ye'd be more focused on gettin a few quality youngsters in and developing them. Mind you his proven quality would mean it wasnt dickin around in the transfer market like has happened a good bit over the last few years.

I'd say liverpool would be better tryin to get a young core that would finish in or around 6/7th atm and look to develop them for a challenge in a few years. It is too pricey to bring a weak squad to the top in a short space of time without oil money or having angeldust like newcastles scouts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Hoilett off to qpr looking likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lads where will dempsey in a 433 for ye? centre mid/ attacking mid?

Attacking left ahead of Joe Allen, below is what I think Rodgers is looking to achieve for the next season.

Johnson-Skrtle-Agger-Enrique
    Lucas
    ---Gerrard
    Allen
    Suarez----Borini---Dempsey (floating)
    Seems a bit old for ye to be buying really, who have thought ye'd be more focused on gettin a few quality youngsters in and developing them. Mind you his proven quality would mean it wasnt dickin around in the transfer market like has happened a good bit over the last few years.

I'd say liverpool would be better tryin to get a young core that would finish in or around 6/7th atm and look to develop them for a challenge in a few years. It is too pricey to bring a weak squad to the top in a short space of time without oil money or having angeldust like newcastles scouts

Now is the time for Liverpools existing youngster players to step up - Suso, Sterling, Teixeira, Robinson, Eccelstone over the next season in cups and off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Attacking left ahead of Joe Allen, below is what I think Rodgers is looking to achieve for the next season.

Lucas
    ---Gerrard
    Allen

Now is the time for Liverpools existing youngster players to step up - Suso, Sterling, Teixeira, Robinson, Eccelstone over the next season in cups and off the bench.

Plus the likes of Borini and Allen (if signed) are young players who can improve the squad but will probably be peaking a couple of years from now.

Some training footage.

LFC reserves won 4-2 yesterday in a behind closed doors friendly against USA U20s. Looks like we signed a new striker - Hodzic.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

In these times of constant bickering and slandering we need to remember what's really important.

Lulz at the drinking kool aid tag at the bottom of this page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Rodgers said he was looking to add 3 to 4 players, so if we have/get Borini, Dempsey and Allen, who's our 4th?
    Would like to see the rest of the team to stay, even Cole. Gives us a much stronger squad on the bench who can come on and change the game if it isn't going our way

Rodgers said he was looking to add 3 to 4 players, so if we have/get Borini, Dempsey and Allen, who's our 4th?
    Would like to see the rest of the team to stay, even Cole. Gives us a much stronger squad on the bench who can come on and change the game if it isn't going our way

This might work if we play Joe Cole and put Suarez on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Lucas
    ---Gerrard
    Allen

Ah i thought dempsey was older than he is, seems to have been around for a good while. Ya, he'd be well able for a wide role at his age. Not a bad lineup there, if gerrard buys into rodgers philosophy could defo work. Few players in your squad who dont fit into that formation at all, most of those ones aren't gonna be good enough though anyway i'd say. Cole might be decent in that team, would like to see how he got on.

Armin Hodzic seems to be the new striker in the youth team. Crazy scoring record in the youth sides he has played. Lovely chipped finish over the keeper in that video.

Thread on him here - http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/armin-hodzic-thread.1815119/

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

opr wrote: »
    Some training footage.

LFC reserves won 4-2 yesterday in a behind closed doors friendly against USA U20s. Looks like we signed a new striker - Hodzic.

Opr

Starting from around 3:05 in the training video. I think sterling has the ball and a few are trying to win it back. Adam tries to push him off the ball twice, Lucas makes a neat little step over and takes it. Nice to see he stills got the skillz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Some training footage.

Opr

3rd and 4th goals in that reserve games where beauts!

jebidiah wrote: »
    Starting from around 3:05 in the training video. I think sterling has the ball and a few are trying to win it back. Adam tries to push him off the ball twice, Lucas makes a neat little step over and takes it. Nice to see he stills got the skillz

He looks tiny trying to run through the land of giants :P

Obviously can't tell that much from the video but Eccleston looked sharp with some nice finishes. A few people have mentioned he has looked good in the training sessions. Strange one because the club had supposedly released him but obviously Brendan wanted to have a look at him.
    3rd and 4th goals in that reserve games where beauts!

Second stunner Silva has scored in the last few days.

Opr

That Hodzic goal was like watching a young Torres. Looking forward to seeing more of him this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Is Texeira on tour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

G.K. wrote: »
    Is Texeira on tour?

He was in the u20 vid

G.K. wrote: »
    Is Texeira on tour?

I thought it was strange he wasn't on the tour but I think he's still recovering from the back injury. I'd say that maybe was why he was pulled from the Portugal national squad. It's some sort of injury related to growth spurts. Gerrard had something similar when he was younger and it tends to be a less than straight forward injury.

In the last youth match he came on as a sub but had to be taken off before the end of the game. He appears in the highlights above of the reserves match but not sure how long he got.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I thought it was strange he wasn't on the tour but I think he's still recovering from the back injury. I'd say that maybe was why he was pulled from the Portugal national squad. It's some sort of injury related to growth spurts. Gerrard had something similar when he was younger and it tends to be a less than straight forward injury.

In the last youth match he came on as a sub but had to be taken off before the end of the game. He appears in the highlights above of the reserves match but not sure how long he got.

Opr

I think Martin Kelly had similar back problems. Kept him out of action for 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Must be a full moon or time of the month around here, on a permanent basis.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Get rid of Carroll for 15mil and get in Santa Cruz in on loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Luap wrote: »

If we're looking at past it players let's just sign up Inzaghi.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Didn`t know Roy Hodgson was on Boards....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

jebidiah wrote: »

Saw that - Sterling takes it off Ibe, goes past a few players, but Lucas has the measure of him. At one stage, Spearing nearly dives in on Lucas and I was thinking "Keep the midget away from him!" - disaster waiting to happen!

Nice overhead by Eccleston, he doesn't look out of place. I wonder if we can develop him into a true striker more, as opposed to a general attacker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Leiva wrote: »

discuss ..

It depends how far south of £10m we're talking. For £10m we could do better, surely.

As pointed out though it's fairly unlikely Walcott would leave Arsenal for Liverpool right now, especially if you believe his delay in signing a new deal is down to footballing reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

so Uefa Cup draw today....hopefully we dont have to go too far a field!

In other news Fergie made an interesting comment on the Suarez/Evra affair

"It wasn't Evra's contribution, it wasn't Suarez's contribution. What killed Suarez was the guy who explained the cultural differences."

This is just still simmering away isnt it....should be two interesting games this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Sappy404 wrote: »
    It depends how far south of £10m we're talking. For £10m we could do better, surely.

As pointed out though it's fairly unlikely Walcott would leave Arsenal for Liverpool right now, especially if you believe his delay in signing a new deal is down to footballing reasons.

I really dont understand why people think we could do better with £10m

He's 23.
    He's a regular England International.
    He has shown on many occasions that he could be world class.

The lad has the potential, it could be the best £10m we ever spend
    And lets face it 10m is noting these days.

Swansea reportedly opened talks with Bolton for Mark Davies .
    If true expect news on Allen but please don't be anywhere near the £15mil mark.

If Allen arrives surely it's curtains for Charlie or Jay ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement