Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

rarnes1 wrote: »
    el dude wrote: »
    Sterling and Shelvey have done their chances no harm of being more involved this season you'd hope.

I'd like to see less of Spearing, Carra, Adam and Cole. It depresses me to see them play.

I'd say Sterling will play hardly any part. In fact he should be loaned out.

no way should we trust our best young player to other coaches. He can play all our EL, FAC and CC matches and be a bench option for the league. Plus a minimum of 6 next gen matches. Plenty of football for him here.

I don't agree. Loan him to a club where he will get plenty of game time.

Leaving him on the bench for the season with the odd cameo is pointless and counter productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

opr wrote: »
    Fire sale at Malaga!

Sid Lowe ‏@sidlowe
    This is surreal. Reports now that Malaga's owners are negotiating sale ..... of the club

Opr

Arsenal seem to have the best pickings (Cazorla) and they also look set and favorites to land Sahin in loan from Real :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Thought Henderson did well and made a difference when he came on.

If he can step it up a level this year he could become an important player.

Agree on the plaudits for Shelvey. He still looks a little raw to me, but at 20 I think he has tons of potential. While I think he would be a useful option this year I wouldn't be dead against a loan move either. If he could get a regular spot at a PL club I think it'd do wonders for his development.

It's a tough call and it would depend on how we feel we stand on numbers in the midfield area and f there was a suitable club who wanted to take him on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Morzadec wrote: »
    Thought Henderson did well and made a difference when he came on.

+1

He looks so much more comfortable in the middle than on the flanks. If you combined Jonjo's personality/confidence with Henderson's technical ability you would have a potentially dominant midfielder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thought the game was on at 9, looks like i didn't miss much.

Rodgers thanks fans ..
    Rodgers thanks Reds fans

28th Jul 2012
    Brendan Rodgers admits he's been bowled over by the level of support Liverpool have received in North America as they concluded their pre-season tour with a goalless draw with Tottenham Hotspur.

The Reds played out a 0-0 stalemate with Spurs in a match played in stifling heat at the M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore to bring an end to a three-game trip across the pond.
    Rodgers believes the tour has proved highly beneficial in helping him get Liverpool ready for the start of 2012-13 - and the boss was eager to pay homage to the fans who have backed them every step of the way in North America.
    "I have been amazed - there have been people coming from Sydney and all over the world," said the manager. "I'd like to put on record a massive thank you to everyone. The three games have been like home games for us.
    "I was very pleased first and foremost with today's game as all the concentration and condition of the players was fantastic.
    "In that heat, to keep that level of organisation and concentration at 35 degrees plus was fantastic. I have seen a real development in the team from the first game up until now.
    "Both teams put on a spectacle. It's not basketball, it's not going to be high scoring, but when you have two teams who are tactically organised and have top players, they're always going to be tight games. I was particularly pleased with my team because of the chances we created, but what let us down was that final ball."
    He added: "You can sit back and be comfortable or you can be uncomfortable because success hurts, and for me today the players got on comfortably. Hopefully the consequence of that will be positive results.
    "I'm really satisfied with how the players have coped with the work (while on tour). It was a big demand for players to think and then pass and then think and each day that has been proved."
    One of the main highlights of Liverpool's North America tour has been the involvement of the club's promising youngsters in the clashes with Toronto, Roma and Spurs.
    The likes of Raheem Sterling, Jonjo Shelvey, Adam Morgan, Peter Gulacsi, Jack Robinson and Dani Pacheco are amongst a whole clutch of starlets to have caught the eye - and Rodgers has been delighted by the way they have conducted themselves over the last two weeks.
    "I have been really, really pleased with them," he said. "That was one of the key things today - the development of the youngsters and how they've taken on the concept.
    "If you look at Raheem Sterling over the last two weeks, he came as a young boy, 17 years old, and he only knew how to beat a defender - but if you look at today's game, he understood when to press and when to be inside. He was playing against an experienced player in Sebastien Bassong and he actually gave him a hard time.
    "That's brilliant for me because it shows he's taken it on board. He's thinking about the game. If he does that, and you add that to his talent, he's going to be a very, very good player for the future.
    "Jonjo Shelvey as well, there's a lot more to come from him, and I was really pleased with Jordan Henderson. This is a player who got a wee bit of stick playing for Liverpool, but he's a very talented player.
    "If he stays in that corridor of the midfield three, and knows the function, then we'll see a very talented boy.
    "The young players have been excellent - I've seen growth."
    Rodgers opted to use the Spurs contest as a chance to give the returning Steven Gerrard, Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson a run out, while Fabio Borini made his debut as a second-half substitute.
    "You saw with Steven when he came on his impact on the game," continued the gaffer. "He is a genuine world-class player and has been for a number of years. He's only trained this week but you saw his qualities."
    Downing was handed a starting berth in Baltimore - and Rodgers feels the winger will have a big part to play this season.
    "He can play in a couple of different positions," the Northern Irishman said. "I remember seeing him against Chelsea at the end of last season after the Cup final and he was outstanding.
    "He played on the right side and he can go either way. His right foot is good as well. I like my wingers to attack and be offensive, and Stewart is one of those. He can really affect things."
    Liverpool began their journey back to the UK on Saturday night following the game - but they'll soon be on their travels again when they journey to Belarus to take on FC Gomel in the first leg of the Europa League qualifier on Thursday.
    Rodgers, though, is not complaining.
    "We won't be at the optimum level of our fitness, but we've just got to get on with it," he stated. "You can't complain. We've had two weeks of tough training and lots of double sessions, so the players will be at a good level."
    Meanwhile, Rodgers was quizzed about Andy Carroll by journalists at the M&T Bank Stadium.
    Asked if there had been any bids, he said: "Not that I am aware of. Obviously I'll know more when we get back. There has been a lot written about Andy, but you saw today he's happy to be here and he's worked very well since he's been here.
    "The reality is he's still a Liverpool player, he can fit into how I want to play, and he's happy here.
    "I'm certainly not wishing to push him out of the door

I think Henderson is a decent prospect and I'd like to see him given a chance under Rodgers, but how will he fit if we sign Allen?

..... Lucas

Allen... Henderson

Gerrard.... Borini..... Suarez

That work?

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Thought the game was on at 9, looks like i didn't miss much.

Not much tbh.

Stifling heat was never gonna produce a cracker, particularly in pre season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I'm also a fan of Henderson, i think he is a very hard working honest player but has a good touch and a decent finish from anywhere inside 20 yards, when given the chance. Downing had been a real let down but its Adam for me had been a complete donkey. Would compare him to Smicer, gives aways silly frees, gives the ball away and doesn't contribute enough at all in general play. As for the corners, Stevie G is better.

I feel a little for Andy Carroll. Clearly bought by Kenny who wanted to resurrect a Toshack (Carroll) / Keegan (Suarez) partnership. I could never see how he would fit in under the new management though and really had to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Rodgers implying he has shaped Raheem from some naive kid who only ever looked to beat his man into a thinking player over the course of two weeks is loltastic. Raheem has worked with as good a tactical coach as exists at youth level for years to give him his current understanding of the game.

Opr

• Advertisement

I'm also a fan of Henderson, i think he is a very hard working honest player but has a good touch and a decent finish from anywhere inside 20 yards, when given the chance. Downing had been a real let down but its Adam for me had been a complete donkey. Would compare him to Smicer, gives aways silly frees, gives the ball away and doesn't contribute enough at all in general play. As for the corners, Stevie G is better.

I feel a little for Andy Carroll. Clearly bought by Kenny who wanted to resurrect a Toshack (Carroll) / Keegan (Suarez) partnership. I could never see how he would fit in under the new management though and really had to go.

Adam will be backup this season, that's what he was signed as and that's what he is.
    Downing for me was the biggest disappointment of all the signings tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I hope that's just his screwed-up way of saying Sterling has improved in the last 2 weeks.

2 weeks ago he said he might need to be loaned out and wasn't ready- obviously a message for Raheem to listen and work hard. Which he appears to have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If I were Sterling I'd be quite happy to read that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

There`s a rumour flying around Twitterville that Aquilani is joining Fiorentina for £7m.

Don`t shoot the messenger.

There`s a rumour flying around Twitterville that Aquilani is joining Fiorentina for £7m.

The Mirror have it now ..http://mirr.im/PaYq5d

£7mil not bad seen how much we have been bent over the past two seasons with the loan deals, and getting 100k a week of the wages will be another positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

For that sort of fee and assuming we get in Allen (or somebody else) and Ramires (or somebody else) I'd be fairly happy.

Would be absolutely delighted to get £7m for Aquilani. As I said many times, I'd give him away for free to get him off the wage bill

The same article suggests we're looking to bring in Mark Davies to replace him, wonderful.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Leiva wrote: »
    The Mirror have it now ..http://mirr.im/PaYq5d

£7mil not bad seen how much we have been bent over the past two seasons with the loan deals, and getting 100k a week of the wages will be another positive.

Great how he is somehow getting about £35k a week extra thanks to Boards;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Mark Davies would not be a suitable replacement for Aqua. I think he'd be perfectly good as backup for the Allen role, but his ability is not ahead of Henderson's enough (I don't think it is at all) to justify his purchase. Definitely not as good as Allen nor will he ever be. He is definitely not the player for the AM position.

Having said that if Henderson wasn't a Pool player and Davies could be got for the price Adam cost or less, he'd be a good player for that position in a squad capacity. The statistics place him pretty high compared to other midfielders in the relegated teams. Along with Faurlin, Morrison, Dembele, Dempsey and Styllian Petrov he was one of the most useful passing midfielders outside the big teams and Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The same article suggests we're looking to bring in Mark Davies to replace him, wonderful.

Opr

Is it not Swansea who are looking to bring in Mark Davies, so they can sell Allen to us?

Nah, Swansea have signed Jonathan De Guzman, a player of a calibre a level or so higher than Davies, to (presumeably) replace Allen.

G.K. wrote: »
    Nah, Swansea have signed Jonathan De Guzman, a player of a calibre a level or so higher than Davies, to (presumeably) replace Allen.

No the article says that Swansea have Davies in their sights.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Great how he is somehow getting about £35k a week extra thanks to Boards;)

I'd love to know how we couldn't give him away for a couple of crisp packets a few weeks back and now we have someone bidding £7m.

The People with another transfer exclusive that has more fantasy in one article than the complete set of Game of Thrones :p

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

From the article:
    Rodgers hopes he can land Allen for around £9m and find a way round his ‘vow’ of not going back to the Welsh club for players. The Allen move will also be difficult as Swansea want a replacement teed up first.

Bolton’s Mark Davies is in their sights, despite him being labelled ‘not for sale’.

• Advertisement

I realise what the article says, my point is that Swansea have already replaced Allen.

I'd love to know how we couldn't give him away for a couple of crisp packets a few weeks back and now we have someone bidding £7m.

The People with another transfer exclusive that has more fantasy in one article than the complete set of Game of Thrones :p

Opr

Don't knock GOT. You would be surprised how much of it you can incorporate into everyday living. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Do we play Spurs or did I miss it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

0-0 draw , reading spurs could get allen for 10m

The match is over but you missed nothing. The game may as well have been played with no football involved. It was just players running round on a pitch for 90 minutes in blistering heat trying to get some fitness.

I'd say Thursday may give us some indication of who Rodgers wants to keep as he won't want to cup tie anyone he potentially wants to sell.

Opr

• Advertisement

Mark Davies would not be a suitable replacement for Aqua. I think he'd be perfectly good as backup for the Allen role, but his ability is not ahead of Henderson's enough (I don't think it is at all) to justify his purchase. Definitely not as good as Allen nor will he ever be. He is definitely not the player for the AM position.

Having said that if Henderson wasn't a Pool player and Davies could be got for the price Adam cost or less, he'd be a good player for that position in a squad capacity. The statistics place him pretty high compared to other midfielders in the relegated teams. Along with Faurlin, Morrison, Dembele, Dempsey and Styllian Petrov he was one of the most useful passing midfielders outside the big teams and Swansea.

Davies is a decent player and nothing more. Decent technique, decent ability, decent stamina etc etc. But nowhere near the level that a team aspiring to get back into the hunt for a CL spot, be it this coming season or the one after that, needs for a first team player or even for a squad player imho.

Liverpool have enough midfield players that fall between decent and not good enough. Let some of what is there already become the squad filler players, and bring in some first team quality instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Will be interesting to see if Carroll plays any part on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Missed the second half of the game this evening.

Can any tell me how Borini and Carroll did when they came on?

What position did Gerrard and Borini play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

djPSB wrote: »
    Missed the second half of the game this evening.

Can any tell me how Borini and Carroll did when they came on?

it was a workout, nothing more, no one did nothing,
    its was 35 degrees, Probably 50 at pitch level,
    Workout,nothing more,
    No player shun more than the sun

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'm guessing going by the comments it's not worth staying up to watch the ESPN repeat of the game at like 3am? Missed the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

-Ade- wrote: »
    I'm guessing going by the comments it's not worth staying up to watch the ESPN repeat of the game at like 3am? Missed the 2nd half.

You missed nothing,
    Bornin was just that
    Gerrard had a workout
    Carroll got a few mins,

But not worth staying up for, geez no way,

-Ade- wrote: »

You missed nothing,
    Bornin was just that
    Gerrard had a workout
    Carroll got a few mins,

Nice of you to write a Limerick for Ade

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Going to make a bold prediction that Andy Carroll will still be a Liverpool player come the end of the window.

He won't want to go to West Ham and Newcastle won't want to fork out the fee Liverpool want.

Thursday's squad will be interesting as has been mentioned. I'd wager we see Carroll as an unused sub - means Rodgers can hide behind a veneer of not playing his hand, showing that Carroll is still a part of his plans if not a guaranteed starter, while keeping him free from being cup-tied and leaving the potential transfer to Newcastle still on.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

You missed nothing,
    Bornin was just that
    Gerrard had a workout
    Carroll got a few mins,

Cheers. It's on atm apparently, might just leave it on and at worst it'll put me to sleep (something which I need!) :)
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Nice of you to write a Limerick for Ade

:D

djPSB wrote: »

Gerrard was in midfield, fairly deep and on the left side a lot it seemed but maybe he had a freeish role and was dropping back to pick up the ball?

Borini played on the left side of the front 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Milkers wrote: »
    Gerrard was in midfield, fairly deep and on the left side a lot it seemed but maybe he had a freeish role and was dropping back to pick up the ball?

Borini played on the left side of the front 3.

Look to me like he was playing in the middle with Lucas and Henderson either side of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A disconcerting tweet from Suso a minute ago;
    Liverpool..back with the reserves on tuesday....Nothing changes.

edit> he's already thought better of it and removed the last 2 words. Shows how he feels about it though, and tbh I can see where he's coming from. Hope he realizes that for the moment, with almost the whole squad now back, that Rodgers needs to see the newcomers better in a more manageable group to decide their fate. Got to be tough to run the rule over them if there's 30 odd of them there. He did well in the US, he'll get his chance.

Someone's not happy ...
    André Villas-Boas. "I think it is a very nasty challenge from Charlie," the Tottenham manager said. "The player is gone and he comes in from behind on Gareth's ankle. I did not know the previous history between the two. I know now.
    "It is a difficult one, to be fair. You do not want to end up in a game with Liverpool with 10 men. Charlie came to me and said something about the challenge. I can accept but I think he should go to the player to say sorry. Because if the player escapes hospital it is because he is very lucky. The last time he was out for three months and in the end it is the Premiership that suffers without a player of Bale's talent. I can never doubt Charlie's integrity but it is a very, very nasty challenge."

Nah Andre it's just poor oul Charlie can't tackle, full stop.

AVB should dry his beady little eyes. Kiddy game is down the street.

AVB should dry his beady little eyes. Kiddy game is down the street.

I really hope he keeps playing that really high back line like he did at Chelsea and for times yesterday .

That should keep them out if the top 4 next season cause I don't think he has the players (yet) to make it a success unless Vertonghen really hits the ground running .

I really hope he keeps playing that really high back line like he did at Chelsea and for times yesterday .

That should keep them out if the top 4 next season cause I don't think he has the players (yet) to make it a success unless Vertonghen really hits the ground running .

Does Buck do something similar with his 'sweeper keeper'?

Does Buck do something similar with his 'sweeper keeper'?

Yep but not as flat back four that AVB does .
    We seem to move as a unit with two players sitting in the hole just in front, but on numerous occasions last season the Chelsea back line was very high, flat and static and got caught out on numerous occasions.
    Was that a problem with the players rather than the system ? Probably.
    But I seen the AVB system in full flow yesterday and the back line look very similar to what it was at Chelsea.

Early days I know but I will be keeping a keen eye on it .

AVB is in for a long season if he thinks that was a "nasty" tackle. It was the most run-of-the-mill late, lazy clip of an effort (standard for Adam) you are likely to see. Just venting cos it's Bale who was on the receiving end of it presumably but his comments do make him sound like a right tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Someone's not happy ...

Nah Andre it's just poor oul Charlie can't tackle, full stop.

That tackle was in the 20 min or something, didnt Bale play the rest of the half though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

NukaCola wrote: »
    That tackle was in the 20 min or something, didnt Bale play the rest of the half though?

He did indeed and this is the same fella that`s too injured to play in the olympics :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement