Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Gbear wrote: »
    Rigobert Song? :pac:

Yeah the very same. Carragher (and Bascombe) wrote about setting out to injure him in one of the chgapters in Carragher's book, and himself gave a fair few inches in the Echo to slagging off Song as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

opr wrote: »
    Disappointed if he heads off but at least it looks like a permanent move. I guess when you have quality like Spearing/Adam in reserve it makes sense to move him on.

Opr

Spearing isn't a direct competitor for his position though.

Gerrard is and is a better option imo
    Shelvey also is and I would be much happer putting faith in him this season than Aquilani to be honest.

No one earning what he was should be playing a bit-part role at the club, and we can't rely on him to be a first XI player.

If this article and the prices mentioned are accurate, then the real cost of keeping Aquilani is £14m (that's two years wages plus the £7m fee foregone)
    That's £14m more into the club coffers for a guy who has contributed little or nothing in 2 years and won't necessarily have to be replaced (because he was never really here)

Shelvey also is and I would be much happer putting faith in him this season than Aquilani to be honest.

No one earning what he was should be playing a bit-part role at the club, and we can't rely on him to be a first XI player.

If this article and the prices mentioned are accurate, then the real cost of keeping Aquilani is £14m (that's two years wages plus the £7m fee foregone)
    That's £14m more into the club coffers for a guy who has contributed little or nothing in 2 years and won't necessarily have to be replaced (because he was never really here)

If Aquilani does not hand in a transfer request, then he will get a payment that will be a % ofthe remaining time on his contract, some call it the "loyalty" bonus. So the club would not be saving two years wages.

Kess73 wrote: »
    If Aquilani does not hand in a transfer request, then he will get a payment that will be a % ofthe remaining time on his contract, some call it the "loyalty" bonus. So the club would not be saving two years wages.

They'd be saving a lot of money though.

I'd find it hard to make any argument, economic or otherwise, for turning this down anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

"Loyalty bonus"? Mother of fuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

He is though. Contrary to what most people think Aqua has spent far more time playing as an orthodox CM than in the advanced position behind the striker. Shelvey has never spent any length of time playing as a CM. Even on loan at Blackpool in a lower league he was moved from CM because Holloway thought he couldn't play the position.

That's the same kind of thinking that got us in so much trouble last year. We cried out for someone like Aquilani last year to provide a bit of cleverness from midfield. To replace the kind of quality Aquilani would add to the squad you're going to need to pay similar wages but also add in a transfer fee of £10m+

I'd have no problem with sending Aquilani packing if I thought the squad was strong enough to afford doing so but it's not. Hopefully Rodgers still has some cards up his sleeve.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Grayditch wrote: »
    Thanks be to Jaysus he's gone. People can stop pretending he wants to play for Liverpool. People can stop putting him into their line ups for this season. Good riddance to his agent, and I wish the player all the best.

He hasn't gone yet. I don't know how many times we've seen this sort of thing about him in the past. And £7m? Not bleedin' likely.

They'd be saving a lot of money though.

I'd find it hard to make any argument, economic or otherwise, for turning this down anyway

Would find it very hard to actually make an arguement against the move tbh if Rodgers only sees the player as a bit part one.

Some of the Twiiter nonsense from earlier today has talk of it being part of a Jovetic to Liverpool deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mirror tonight reporting that Man city had a £13M bid for Agger rejected but Agger wants out of Anfield

19th July
    Total LFC ‏@TheTotalLFC
    Daniel Agger few days ago "i'm very happy at #LFC. if i wasn't i would have left long ago, New contract ? club will decide about it"

I sooner trust Agger own words than the Mirror.

• Advertisement

Mirror tonight reporting that Man city had a £13M bid for Agger rejected but Agger wants out of Anfield

Man City up to they're old tricks,
    Buy best players of teams around them,
    Then throw them in the reserves or loan them abroad

They have spent more money weakening other teams than strengthening their own team in last few seasons,

DM - Lucas, Spearing (cup games), Allen (league games)
    CM - Allen, Henderson, Adam
    AM - Gerrard, Shelvey

I'd be happy with that going into new season to be honest. Spend rest of our money on front 3

Sappy404 wrote: »
    He hasn't gone yet. I don't know how many times we've seen this sort of thing about him in the past. And £7m? Not bleedin' likely.

Replace word Hamburger with Aqulani and you will get how hard it will be to get this deal done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

They have spent more money weakening other teams than strengthening their own team in last few seasons,

No, they haven't. They have no need to weaken Liverpool. You're not giving Agger enough credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think it's more that the Mirror is up to their old tricks.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    No, they haven't. They have no need to weaken Liverpool. You're not giving Agger enough credit.

Adebayor', Wouldn't let it go
    Insisted on getting arsenal weakened
    Then stuck him on bench, Loaned him out
    But it worked, Arsenal out of title race since then,
    Man city win title,

Probably take Van Persie too, Or let Man you do their dirty
    work
    Either way weaken the closest rival is goal,
    I mean how many players do man city need
    80?
    They won't sell Johnson to rival
    Won't play him either,
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

We need to start signing players quickly tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

El Mundo Deportivo running rumours that Barca are interested in Agger...

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20120729/fc-barcelona/barca-agger-liverpool-dinamarca-fichajes-javi-martinez_54330881330.html

If the interest is real it would be very difficult for Agger to turn them down. Hopefully it's bull****.

Losing Agger would be the most devastating transfer blow since Alonso imo. He and Suarez (and maybe Reina) are probably the only players we can truly call World Class. I would suddenly be very pessimistic about our chances if he were to go.

If he does go we should be looking to get minimum £15m. Would be disgusted if less. The article mentions the fee of 13 million euro, which gives me the hope that it's bored Spanish journalists making things up.

Lets all hope we see him lining out on Thursday. I think it would be safe to say he is staying then, as CL teams would be put off

Saw this tweet:

After Aurelio, Kuyt, Maxi and Aquilani leave the club, Liverpool will save about £15.3m (or more) on annual wages.

Something worth baring in mind if we do end up splashing out on Allen, who will probably command relatively low wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I don't know lads I think this article has legs.....I'm sure agger has always dreamed of playing at the emirates for city:confused::confused::D

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/man-city-shock-liverpool-with-13m-1184988

The Danish centre-back is expected to confirm within the next two weeks whether he will opt for the Emirates or Spain but City are ready to up their bid to keep him in the Premier League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Morzadec wrote: »
    El Mundo Deportivo running rumours that Barca are interested in Agger...

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20120729/fc-barcelona/barca-agger-liverpool-dinamarca-fichajes-javi-martinez_54330881330.html

If the interest is real it would be very difficult for Agger to turn them down. Hopefully it's bull****.

Losing Agger would be the most devastating transfer blow since Alonso imo. He and Suarez (and maybe Reina) are probably the only players we can truly call World Class. I would suddenly be very pessimistic about our chances if he were to go.

If he does go we should be looking to get minimum £15m. Would be disgusted if less. The article mentions the fee of 13 million euro, which gives me the hope that it's bored Spanish journalists making things up.

Lets all hope we see him lining out on Thursday. I think it would be safe to say he is staying then, as CL teams would be put off

A minimum £15m?

Id be nearly saying close to double that.

If we have put a £20m price tag on Carroll, then Agger is worth alot more.

Agger is a class act. One of the best defenders in the world IMO.

djPSB wrote: »
    A minimum £15m?

Id be nearly saying close to double that.

If we have put a £20m price tag on Carroll, then Agger is worth alot more.

Agger is a class act. One of the best defenders in the world IMO.

Oh I agree. i wouldn't sell him for £25m.

But if he wants to go then he will probably go. And I'm just saying that, in this case, I hope we don't get ****ed over and get a decent deal, with a bare minimum of £15m, hopefully more like £20m. It would be unrealistic to expect much more.

Some of those articles are quoting figures of 13 million pounds or 13 million euros. Would be disgusted if we sold him for that.

Would just be devastated in general if he left.

If City managed to pair him with Kompany we could be looking at the best defensive partnership the Premiership has ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

DM - Lucas, Spearing (cup games), Allen (league games)
    CM - Allen, Henderson, Adam
    AM - Gerrard, Shelvey

I'd be happy with that going into new season to be honest. Spend rest of our money on front 3

Can't keep relying on Gerrard. He will play 20-25 games and he's not the player he was. We desperately need another AM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If Agger wants to go, and I'm not so sure he does, we would end up getting 15-20m for him max if he forced the move I would imagine.

Would be gutted if he left tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Agger would be a massive loss for us. Would be devastated if he left. Great with the ball at his feet and a world class defender.

• Advertisement

"Aquilani is a Liverpool player," Zavaglia told Radio Sportiva. "He's fine there and will remain in England. We are not going back to the torment of last year. There is no basis for this operation [to Fiorentina].

Oh well that seals it he's off.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

yep. Carragher came out and made his comment about how his own wife does not like the foreign wives speaking in other languages, and within a day or so newspaper man was on about how foreign players and their families should have to speak english at club functions

That is ridiculous!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19043308

Beeb reporting that Aquilani's going to Fiorentina.

Milan got yer man Olive Mountain from Fiorentina so I presume Aquilani is going to replace him.

Happy enough he's going so long as we get another midfielder and Shelvey is the one providing the main cover with Adam in reserve and not the other way around.

Gbear wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19043308

Beeb reporting that Aquilani's going to Fiorentina.

Milan got yer man Olive Mountain from Fiorentina so I presume Aquilani is going to replace him.

Montolivo? Since that they've signed Juan Cuadrado from Udinese and Fernandez from Sporting Lisbon.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭Glico Man

opr wrote: »
    Montolivo? Since that they've signed Juan Cuadrado from Udinese and Fernandez from Sporting Lisbon.

Opr

And Fernandez moved for a ridiculously low fee (€4 million) for such a quality player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If Agger ever leaves Ill weep

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

By offloading Aquilani, along with Dirk Kuyt and Maxi Rodriguez already this summer, Liverpool have reduced their wage-bill by around £3000,000 per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That's 150m :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cianisgood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Any footage of this tackle I keep hearing about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

What? The Adam tackle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Great . Lots of news of our star players leaving and not a crumb of news of any star players joining :(

20 days to kick off .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Word around the campfire is that once the Aqua deal is done we'll move for Ramirez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Vicxas wrote: »
    Word around the campfire is that once the Aqua deal is done we'll move for Ramirez.

Why did I think of this ...

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Vicxas wrote: »

I'd say Joe Allen is more likely that Ramirez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

AVB was giving out stink according to the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭frankled

According to Bale he's a coward. Having not seen the tackle and hearing all this I imagined a leg breaker. Having seen it now I think it's a bit over the top. Yellow card offence really, nothing major.

(Long-time lurker, just started posting a bit more recently, so applied for access. Woooo.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

frankled wrote: »
    According to Bale he's a coward. Having not seen the tackle and hearing all this I imagined a leg breaker. Having seen it now I think it's a bit over the top. Yellow card offence really, nothing major.

(Long-time lurker, just started posting a bit more recently, so applied for access. Woooo.)

But you are not taking into consideration that Bale is recovering from the serious injury that stopped him from competing in the Olympics :rolleyes:

Much a do about nothing again with this tackle.
    Bale's 'entourage' are trying desperately to build a profile for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

NukaCola wrote: »

Thats a "Horror" tackle ? ... So does that mean Nightmare On Elm Street is a "badly timed" movie ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

As i said earlier, he was fouled in the 20 min approx, and finished the half.......that should tell its own story

I personally think it's more cowardly to roll around pretend you are injured when you haven't been touched.
    I seem to remember Bale was also very vocal with the referee last season at White Hart Lane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭frankled

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    But you are not taking into consideration that Bale is recovering from the serious injury that stopped him from competing in the Olympics :rolleyes:

Haha exactly. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Anybody have footage of or remember the other tackle Bale is on about when Adam was at Blackpool?

• Advertisement

frankled wrote: »
    Haha exactly. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Anybody have footage of or remember the other tackle Bale is on about when Adam was at Blackpool?

There is a picture of it in the link Panthro posted earlier

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement