Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Dont think he's world class in fairness. If he was he would play more and also be starter for England.
    He shows glimpses but not enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

gafferino wrote: »
    This is just still simmering away isnt it....should be two interesting games this season.

John Terry's judgement has brought the whole thing up again. Should Terry be handed out an FA ban, I can see him going to every court in the land, appealing whatever is handed down, because of that previous judgement. Should they not hand out anything, Suarez could be seen as a victim of FA prejudice.

The FA have made their bed and must sleep in it. The Suarez incident won't go away until the Terry incident does

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Over an hour waiting, but got tickets sorted for utd and Arsenal games. Roll on the start of the season please (although I'll be on holiday at the time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

thank Christ we're not getting Mark Davies so.

that gave my heart a jump a month or so back when that rumour was making its way round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Anyone think having Borini around will help Aquilani finally settle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Melion wrote: »

Could be an interesting season for both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

It can't hurt. The Spanish and South Americans have always blended well thanks to language (even Lucas). They do have Roma in common, although not at the same time.

flanzer wrote: »
    John Terry's judgement has brought the whole thing up again. Should Terry be handed out an FA ban, I can see him going to every court in the land, appealing whatever is handed down, because of that previous judgement. Should they not hand out anything, Suarez could be seen as a victim of FA prejudice.

The FA have made their bed and must sleep in it. The Suarez incident won't go away until the Terry incident does

Yeah but do the FA have the balls to stand up to Terry? Would be shocking if he doesnt get a ban.

Ugh, valencia signed Gago and Canales for €9m. Sickening that quality players move for so little and we are never sniffing around.

I really dont understand why people think we could do better with £10m

He's 23.
    He's a regular England International.
    He has shown on many occasions that he could be world class.

The lad has the potential, it could be the best £10m we ever spend
    And lets face it 10m is noting these days.

I tend to agree. I know he can be frustrating, but he can make a fool of defenders on his day - look at the way he went through the defence for the Welbeck goal against Sweden, and his goal as well. He is not an average player by any means - he is hugely talented and occasionaly frustrating, but so are a lot of wingers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

5starpool wrote: »
    Over an hour waiting, but got tickets sorted for utd and Arsenal games. Roll on the start of the season please (although I'll be on holiday at the time).

Got tickets to Man City, Arsenal and Wigan (bought yesterday) games myself. Queue system online seems good to me although hassle getting two together. Site was saying Kop tickets available but when i'd click in none would show as available, only Kop i got was Wigan game, rest Main Stand.

Ugh, valencia signed Gago and Canales for €9m. Sickening that quality players move for so little and we are never sniffing around.

How do you know what other teams were or weren't interested? Or that either player would want to play in England, or for us?

Guilty in an absence of any evidence...

Dickerty wrote: »
    How do you know what other teams were or weren't interested? Or that either player would want to play in England, or for us?

Guilty in an absence of any evidence...

I'd like to have seen any kind of rumour linking us with them. Not giving out about the club at all so calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Look away now Lloyd...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/07/20/exclusive-liverpool-fc-owner-john-w-henry-says-new-boss-brendan-rodgers-is-inspirational-100252-31434099/

LIVERPOOL FC principal owner John W Henry believes the “inspirational” qualities of new manager Brendan Rodgers will help bring long-term stability and success to Anfield.

In an exclusive interview with the ECHO in Boston, Henry delivered a ringing endorsement of the man who was appointed as Kenny Dalglish's successor last month.

And the Fenway Sports Group chief vowed that Rodgers won't be burdened by setting him the target of Champions League qualification for the coming season as he puts his plans into practice.

“Brendan has a very structured approach and he plays the kind of football that we think Liverpool fans will love to see,” said Henry, after watching the Northern Irishman put the squad through their paces at Harvard University.

“You can see why he was appointed. He's an inspirational figure.

“He's very charismatic, he's smart, he knows what he wants to accomplish and he's determined to accomplish it.

“Everything I have heard so far in the way of feedback about him has been very positive.

“We don't want to put any pressure on Brendan by saying you have got to make the Champions League this year.

“Of course he wants to make the Champions League, we all do and so does every team in the Premier League.

“I thought it was realistic last season but we were so far off that pace. At this point we're just trying to get things stabilised - that should be one of our goals

Rodgers is the club's third manager since Fenway Sports Group bought Liverpool FC in October 2010.

Henry believes the owners are now in a much better position to know exactly what's required to take the club forward.

“We know more now than we did when we bought the club,” Henry added.

“We didn't know a lot at the start. We have had something like 20 months to study and learn and this is really the direction we want to go in. We are working on a long term programme and we are fully committed to this programme. It will be the kind of football we want to play.”

Liverpool's current tour of North America is their first visit to the continent since 2004.

It has brought together Henry's two sports clubs with the Liverpool squad last night attending Boston Red Sox's baseball game against Chicago White Sox at Fenway Park.

Henry said: “It's heartening to have Liverpool here. I know Liverpool fans worry about the Red Sox and I know Red Sox fans worry about Liverpool but these are two very important clubs.

“We need to be in the US and we know this area well. (Chairman) Tom Werner is a Harvard grad and we knew this would be a great place for the team to train.

“Liverpool is such a global club. Last year we were in Asia, this year we're in North America. We have to try to get out and see the fans.

“This year what we're really concentrating on is to make sure we're ready for the first league game. That's our number one goal. We have a lot of work to do to instil a new system.”

Liverpool fly from Boston to Canada today as they prepare for tomorrow's first friendly against Toronto FC at the Rogers Centre.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Got tickets to Man City, Arsenal and Wigan (bought yesterday) games myself. Queue system online seems good to me although hassle getting two together. Site was saying Kop tickets available but when i'd click in none would show as available, only Kop i got was Wigan game, rest Main Stand.

Probably due to tickets being in peoples baskets but not actually purchased I guess. I only needed one for each of my games today, but Stoke yesterday I had the same problem getting two together although I managed it in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Look away now Lloyd...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/07/20/exclusive-liverpool-fc-owner-john-w-henry-says-new-boss-brendan-rodgers-is-inspirational-100252-31434099/

LIVERPOOL FC principal owner John W Henry believes the “inspirational” qualities of new manager Brendan Rodgers will help bring long-term stability and success to Anfield.

In an exclusive interview with the ECHO in Boston, Henry delivered a ringing endorsement of the man who was appointed as Kenny Dalglish's successor last month.

And the Fenway Sports Group chief vowed that Rodgers won't be burdened by setting him the target of Champions League qualification for the coming season as he puts his plans into practice.

Why wasnt kenny afforded the same luxury of time and no pressure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Vicxas wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that if Brendan buys £100M of sh1te this summer , doesn't seem to have any plan in place other than "go out and play lads" and handles a major club controversy in the worst possible way he'll be on his way at the end of the season as well.

He was given 100m to spend. CL football was expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One position there has been little or no chat about in the press is DM if/when Lucas gets injured, need someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

5starpool wrote: »
    Probably due to tickets being in peoples baskets but not actually purchased I guess. I only needed one for each of my games today, but Stoke yesterday I had the same problem getting two together although I managed it in the end.

Got tickets for Newcastle (Restricted View) & Villa game, find the queuing system bit of nightmare though, reached the time twice and then it reset. Happy out though, hopefully two good games to see.

Roll on tomorrow night, football withdrawal was getting bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

This is something that I've been thinking. You see a lot of ethnic groups hanging around and being good friends with each other, which is understandable. Having another compatriot there, albeit a much younger lad, could just be what he needs. Aquilani is at least making positive sounds so I'm hopeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Looking forward to the pre-season matches starting tomorrow. Hopefully we can get those signings in place by next week.
    Can't wait for the new season to start. Its like waiting for christmas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Back up the truck of salt .

I have heard so much bullshít and waffle over the last 20 months from Ayre and the owners (to a lesser extent) that I am not going to take any sound bites seriously until I see something tangible on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Joe Allen is signed then Aquilani will surely be deemed to expensive/good to spend quite a lot of time on the bench - can't see Allen being a back up at the money being talked about. The only other possibility is er resting Gerrard quite a bit (can see that even less! though the captain will surely get injured at some point again)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

What time is the match on tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Leiva wrote: »
    Back up the truck of salt .

I have heard so much bullshít and waffle over the last 20 months from Ayre and the owners (to a lesser extent) that I am not going to take any sound bites seriously until I see something tangible on the pitch.

You wonder about this stuff. Henry doesn't have to say anything, so why say it? We all know he'll toss Rodgers / whoever under the bus if things go poorly. He's ruthless and this type of statement doesn't aid Rodgers now or later no matter what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

What time is the match on tomorrow?

9PM on ESPN.

mike65 wrote: »
    If Joe Allen is signed then Aquilani will surely be deemed to expensive/good to spend quite a lot of time on the bench - can't see Allen being a back up at the money being talked about. The only other possibility is er resting Gerrard quite a bit (can see that even less! though the captain will surely get injured at some point again)

I'd be surprised if Gerrard manages 25+ Premiership starts ever again to be honest. He now has a 35 - 40 appearances a year ceiling I think. The intermittent injuries have become a trend rather than isolated events - which was always going to be the case given the volume he has put in at the top level and his playing style while doing it.

PFL wrote: »
    9PM on ESPN.

Cheers :)

mike65 wrote: »
    One position there has been little or no chat about in the press is DM if/when Lucas gets injured, need someone.

Gago for €4m :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

If in 18 months we're firmly mid-table, out of contention for the CL places and failing to beat lower-table sides at Anfield at every other home match, then Rodgers' job will be under threat, make no mistake. Especially if he has brought in 6-7 first-team players who for the most part don't seem to be up to it.

I was fairly torn on Dalglish to be honest. I'd have been happy to see him stay for various reasons, but thought that there was also more than enough reason to justify replacing him. I was underwhelmed when Rodgers was confirmed, but I am looking forward to seeing what we can do with him at the helm.

Could have been because after he picked from Roy, he was doing quite well with the squad.

Maybe they expected more :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You wonder about this stuff. Henry doesn't have to say anything, so why say it? We all know he'll toss Rodgers / whoever under the bus if things go poorly. He's ruthless and this type of statement doesn't aid Rodgers now or later no matter what happens.

He seems to me to be a very reactive person, as if he feels he needs to say something .
    Sometimes saying nothing is better, especially in his case, as you said he ain't gonna watch us go down the swannee, so if the day comes for more change he is gonna look silly (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

9PM on ESPN.

Sky sports is free this weekend and they give Espn free with skysports

So even if you dont subscribe to sky ,you might be lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'd be surprised if Gerrard manages 25+ Premiership starts ever again to be honest. He now has a 35 - 40 appearances a year ceiling I think. The intermittent injuries have become a trend rather than isolated events - which was always going to be the case given the volume he has put in at the top level and his playing style while doing it.

I wonder does he even have that high a ceiling anymore. Last season he managed 25 games in all comps, and the season before that he managed 24 in all comps. You have to go back three seasons to find him in the 40 - 50 games a season bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

9PM on ESPN.

Or if you dont have ESPN 9pm on Sunday on LFC TV

Is skysports free on UPC this weekend too? or is it just if you have actual Sky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Gago for €4m :(
    Gago is hardly going to come to us to sit on the bench.

Sky Sports understands Liverpool are closing in on the signing of Swansea City midfielder Joe Allen.

Reds boss Brendan Rodgers confirmed his interest in Allen earlier this week as he looks to rebuild the squad at Anfield.

As revealed by Sky Sports earlier this week, Liverpool were preparing a bid for Allen and both clubs are thought to be in advanced talks as they look to thrash out a deal

Allen, who is away with Team GB at the Olympics, is thought to be keen on a move to Liverpool to be reunited with Rodgers.

Swansea are reluctant to lose the midfield schemer, but know they will not be able to resist a big-money offer for Allen.

Allen is thought to have a release clause in his contract and Liverpool are believed to be ready to match the £15million fee to land the Wales international.

Swansea are already looking at possible replacements for Allen with Spanish midfielder Michu poised to make the switch to the Liberty Stadium.

Rodgers is keen to get a move for Allen wrapped up as soon as possible as he looks to add the midfielder to the signing of Fabio Borini.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7919283/Reds-close-on-Allen-deal

Sky Sports understands Liverpool are closing in on the signing of Swansea City midfielder Joe Allen.

Reds boss Brendan Rodgers confirmed his interest in Allen earlier this week as he looks to rebuild the squad at Anfield.

As revealed by Sky Sports earlier this week, Liverpool were preparing a bid for Allen and both clubs are thought to be in advanced talks as they look to thrash out a deal

Allen, who is away with Team GB at the Olympics, is thought to be keen on a move to Liverpool to be reunited with Rodgers.

Swansea are reluctant to lose the midfield schemer, but know they will not be able to resist a big-money offer for Allen.

Allen is thought to have a release clause in his contract and Liverpool are believed to be ready to match the £15million fee to land the Wales international.

Swansea are already looking at possible replacements for Allen with Spanish midfielder Michu poised to make the switch to the Liberty Stadium.

Rodgers is keen to get a move for Allen wrapped up as soon as possible as he looks to add the midfielder to the signing of Fabio Borini.

• Advertisement

If he does have a Release Clause, do we really think it would be at the level of £15M?
    That seems very high...

£15M does seem very high. I know he is rated but, I'm just a bit wary we are getting stung for the Young, British & Premiership Proven Tax. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Is the game not live on the lfc website for paid subscribers?

The Allen thing is odd, why fork out on a position that we've plenty of players who can play there? If he does sign that certainly means some lads are getting the chop or shipped out on loan.

Would rather the dempsey deal sealed first tbh, would be very happy with that now. Wonder who the possible 4th signing might be...

well i suppose the difference here is that the manager knows the player very very well...and not just looking at stats as may have been the case with some of our other british signings!

Is the game not live on the lfc website for paid subscribers?

The Allen thing is odd, why fork out on a position that we've plenty of players who can play there? If he does sign that certainly means some lads are getting the chop or shipped out on loan.

Would rather the dempsey deal sealed first tbh, would be very happy with that now. Wonder who the possible 4th signing might be...

and who is the 'exciting' one!!.....or do we have him already ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

there was also word yesterday that Swansea are likely to use our valuation of Jordan Henderson last year as some sort of barometer for any transfer.

seems fair tbh.

damn last season's overspending.

If Swansea start dictating then they should be told to hang on to the player. ****ing Joe Allen for £15m+

AWESOME

SlickRic wrote: »
    there was also word yesterday that Swansea are likely to use our valuation of Jordan Henderson last year as some sort of barometer for any transfer.

seems fair tbh.

damn last season's overspending.

That's nonsense, IMO. You can compare it to any number of transfers, or to none. It comes down to how badly the other club needs that player, and how badly their club needs to sell. It comes down to what it would cost to replace that position, and what the balance would be used for. If they get a bid of (for example) £12M, and that can buy Davies and two other targets, they won't turn it down and risk losing 3 targets to argue over a million or two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Gerrard, Lucas, Adam, Henderson, Shelvey, Aquilani, Spearing and Allen?

Hmm, way too many players for 3 positions. I imagine the thinking is to get shot of Aquilani and allow Shelvey to go on loan again.

• Advertisement

If Swansea start dictating then they should be told to hang on to the player.

They have every right to dictate, he is their player. We decide whether he is worth what they are asking, or if we can sweeten the deal (Spearing in the deal? Or Wilson, or Flanagan on loan?)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement