Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I'm going mad Ted.

FECK OFF !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Sterling confirms on twitter that he's part of the squad for Thursday too. Nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

New reports saying we're paying Aquilani €5m to leave the club.

CNN Italia - "Important update Liverpool-Aquilani. #lfc Wed morning will meet the player, tonight in England, and accept to give a €5m golden handshake. Just after Aquilani will fly back to Italy to agree with Fiorentina a €1.8m deal, after being personally convinced to accept the Fiorentina offer from Vincenzo Montella, manager and his former teammate at Roma"

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,507 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

opr wrote: »
    New reports saying we're paying Aquilani €5m to leave the club.

WTF? I really hope we hear the truth about Aquilani after all this is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

CL7 wrote: »

How? Getting it rubbed inside us how happy he is in Florence? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

NEDDURC wrote: »
    I'd expect a pretty strong starting team on Thursday as it can be used as a decent pre-season for the players who have only recently returned and haven't really gotten much game time. Probably a pity for the young lads like Pacheco who have done well.

Jones

Johnson Agger Skrtel Enrique

Spearing Henderson Gerrard

Cole Borini Downing

I lose heart every time I see Spearing named in a starting line up.

As the reports have suggested no way in hell Fiorentina could've afforded his wages. It seems they're only willing to pay him €1.8m a year (Around 35k p/w).
    The report above suggests that we are handing him €5m to cover the short fall in wages he would've got with us over the next two years so he'll accept the deal. Madness!

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Lars1916 wrote: »
    How? Getting it rubbed inside us how happy he is in Florence? :rolleyes:

No I mean a statement from the club on what went on with the Aquilani transfer, why 3 successive managers didn't want him in their squad (if that's the case) and why we are paying to get rid of him rather than receiving a transfer fee for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

No I mean a statement from the club on what went on with the Aquilani transfer, why 3 successive managers didn't want him in their team (if that's the case) and why we are paying to get rid of him rather than receiving a transfer fee for him.

Maybe because they don't think he us up to playing in the Premiership . I mean at this stage 3 managers can't be wrong .

Maybe because they don't think he us up to playing in the Premiership . I mean at this stage 3 managers can't be wrong .

I don't think that's the issue.

I'm sure they would all be glad to have Aquilani as part of the squad, but just don't think he will make a contribution worth £125,000 per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Leiva wrote: »
    FECK OFF !

Shopping your gaff around to some of the lads in the squad.
    Joe is willing to commute.

djPSB wrote: »
    I don't think that's the issue.

I'm sure they would all be glad to have Aquilani as part of the squad, but just don't think he will make a contribution worth £125,000 per week.

He was never worth that level of wages and having a look at his stats show he has been pretty poor the last 2 seasons .

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/13752/alberto-aquilani?cc=5739

Aquilani is not getting close to £125k a week. (Please don't fire that rubbish article that Bascombe wrote as some kind of proof otherwise.)

Opr

He was never worth that level of wages and having a look at his stats show he has been pretty poor the last 2 seasons .

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/13752/alberto-aquilani?cc=5739

Rafa must have been on the sauce when he agreed to pay him £125,000 per week.

• Advertisement

Aquilani is not getting close to £125k a week. (Please don't fire that rubbish article that Bascombe wrote as some kind of proof otherwise.)

Opr

Jul 30 2012 by James Pearce, Liverpool Echo
    ALBERTO AQUILANI is on the brink of leaving Liverpool.
    The Italian midfielder’s hopes of forcing his way into Brendan Rodgers’ plans have been dashed.
    Aquilani wasn’t involved in Saturday’s 0-0 draw with Tottenham in Baltimore and didn’t fly back to the UK with the Reds squad. The 28-year-old instead headed for Rome after being granted permission to hold talks with a number of Serie A clubs about a permanent move. Fiorentina are among those to have expressed an interest in signing him.
    One stumbling block is Aquilani’s lucrative five-year contract, which he signed following his £18million switch from Roma in the summer of 2009. His salary at Anfield is an eye-watering £6.5million per year (£125,000 per week).

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I lose heart every time I see Spearing named in a starting line up.

Throw in Downing and Cole's name, and the serious lack of Doni.. :(

Or the rumours at time where true we where only allowed to buy players off clubs who owed us money . Roma owed us for Riise .

-Ade- wrote: »
    Throw in Downing and Cole's name, and the serious lack of Doni.. :(

Yeah the lack of quality in general is worrying.

But Spearing really irks me, he's Championship standard. Very very poor, in what will be one of the most important positions for us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Rafa never had anything to do with wages.

And it's very doubtful he was actually on 125k. Only source for that is Bascombe, who in the same article said Carra was on 60k, which we pretty much know to be false after his bumper new contract just before FSG bought pool over. Since the Bascombe article, everywhere says 125, but I still really doubt this - and him.

If Aqui's on something around 80k a week, that ties in with the 5 million handshake, which would pay the difference in his wages with fiorentina for 2 years. If he's on 125, the handshake would need to be more like 9 million.

Basically, everything, including common sense, points to Aqui being on around 75/80k per week - still huge, but a damn sight short of the preposterous 125k claim.

• Advertisement

Or the rumours at time where true we where only allowed to buy players off clubs who owed us money . Roma owed us for Riise .

Yeah, but there was no need to offer such high wages. Half it would have done.

Yeah, but there was no need to offer such high wages. Half it would have done.

But if we where over a barrel as bad as that Aqualani and his agent could have had a field day with us and it really looks like they did .

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Rafa never had anything to do with wages.

And it's very doubtful he was actually on 125k. Only source for that is Bascombe, who in the same article said Carra was on 60k, which we pretty much know to be false after his bumper new contract just before FSG bought pool over.

If Aqui on something around 80k a week, that ties in with the 5 million handshake, which would pay the difference in his wages with fiorentina for 2 years. If he's on 125, the handshake would need to be more like 9 million.

Basically, everything, including common sense, points to Aqui being on around 75/80k per week - still huge, but a damn sight short of the preposterous 125k claim.

I have no idea what he earns, nor does anyone here.

Just quoting what I read. But I thought the Liverpool Echo and James Pearce were fairly reputable.

Is Doni gone or what? Is it confirmed or wiki bulll****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I have no idea what he earns, nor does anyone here.

Just quoting what I read. But I thought the Liverpool Echo and James Pearce were fairly reputable.

Since Tony left, I don't find the Echo to be great on 'inside information' anymore.

I agree, noone knows what he earns, which is why i'd favour a common sense approach, rather than believe an insane figure like 125k.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Since Tony left, I don't find the Echo to be great on 'inside information' anymore.

I agree, noone knows what he earns, which is why i'd favour a common sense approach, rather than believe an insane figure like 125k.

But I presume that he didn't just pull it out of the air?

I thought it was a bit excessive as well.

But if he is on £70,000 per week, I don't think all previous managers would have been so quick to get rid of him.

Especially when Kuyt and Maxi were on similar.

I wouldn't surprised if he was on the £125,000 to be honest.

Wouldn't be surprised? Remember this was three years ago when only the real megastars of the game commanded that kind of salary. It would be mind boggling if we handed him a five year deal on that kind of money.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Still amazes me what Cabaye went for and how our French superscout missed that trick

He is an excellent excellent player

On Thursday, there must be some reason he gets played andi expect him to start, no idea why though!

Wouldn't be surprised? Remember this was three years ago when only the real megastars of the game commanded that kind of salary. It would be mind boggling if we handed him a five year deal on that kind of money.

Opr

But why had every previous manager such a vendetta against just Aquilani?

When ye think he was a similar wage to Maxi and Kuyt.

Why didn't Dalglish want to move them on as well? He didn't rate either as first teamers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I assume that 1.8 million net is what we make out of the deal after deducting the payoff?

fine by me if true. I've stated all along that I'd be happy for him to leave for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I assume that 1.8 million net is what we make out of the deal after deducting the payoff?

fine by me if true. I've stated all along that I'd be happy for him to leave for free

ide say that is wishfull thinking!!

But why had every previous manager such a vendetta against just Aquilani?

When ye think he was a similar wage to Maxi and Kuyt.

Why didn't Dalglish want to move them on as well? He didn't rate either as first teamers.

Maxi had huge wages because he was available on a bosman. His actual cost per week when this is taken into account isn't near the huge wages the media love to use to sensationalise articles. Kuyt was on around £4m a year which is around £75k a week.

The whole Aquilani saga has been one of the strangest transfer in the history of football.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The sooner the football starts the better.

All these budding accountants here worried about what is being spent on wages is doing my head in.

Don't worry lads, the club knows how much money they have and how they can make savings etc.

Nope the €1.8m figure is the wages Fiorentina have offered him. We are paying him €5m to make up the shortfall in wages.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Nope the €1.8m figure is the wages Fiorentina have offered him. We are paying him €5m to make up the shortfall in wages.

Opr

But what fee are they paying us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Reported €7m. So basically, we get rid of him for €2m.

Knex. wrote: »
    Reported €7m. So basically, we get rid of him for €2m.

I presuming none? I mean if they are paying us a fee why wouldn't we just let him go for €2m and they pay him the full wages rather than the convoluted, we pay part of the wages, part of it comes from them and they pay us the fee to pay our part of the wages :)

Opr

I presuming none? I mean if they are paying us a fee why wouldn't we just let him go for €2m and they pay him the full wages rather than the convoluted, we pay part of the wages, part of it comes from them and they pay us the fee to pay our part of the wages :)

Opr

Silly but wage structure? Perhaps they feel doing it this way will prevent mutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I would say its now official aqualani has been the worst signing in the history of lfc sure we bought some turkeys who could hardly kick a ball but this prince has cost us a fortune in fees and wages. It's a pity though any game I seen him live at I was impressed with him.

• Advertisement

Silly but wage structure? Perhaps they feel doing it this way will prevent mutiny.

Yeah that could be it alright but no fee has been mentioned in the new reports today. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes
    A day of returns on Merseyside. Pienaar goes back to Everton (for good) and Aquilani flies back to Liverpool (for the time being at least)

Opr

Maxi had huge wages because he was available on a bosman. His actual cost per week when this is taken into account isn't near the huge wages the media love to use to sensationalise articles. Kuyt was on around £4m a year which is around £75k a week.

The whole Aquilani saga has been one of the strangest transfer in the history of football.

Opr

I just thinks it's strange that the previous managers decided that Aquilani was surplus to requirements even when we had lesser players in the squad who were kept.

It looks to me that Aquilani is earning more than both Maxi and Kuyt did.

Like I said, nobody on here knows what he earns per week, it's all guess work.

But I don't see any reason why James Pearce would just pull a random figure out of the air without any research to it. I would expect it from other journalists alright, but he has a bias to Liverpool if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

punisher.jpg

killbill.jpg

kickboxer.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

punisher.jpg

killbill.jpg

kickboxer.jpg
    I know which one of them i'd rather have in my team:(

I just thinks it's strange that the previous managers decided that Aquilani was surplus to requirements even when we had lesser players in the squad who were kept.

It looks to me that Aquilani is earning more than both Maxi and Kuyt did.

Like I said, nobody on here knows what he earns per week, it's all guess work.

But I don't see any reason why James Pearce would just pull a random figure out of the air without any research to it. I would expect it from other journalists alright, but he has a bias to Liverpool if anything.

Comparing Kuyt/Maxi to Aquilani is just silly anyway. They play different positions which managers may have felt we didn't have sufficient depth. At the time of letting Aquilani go last year we had a fit Lucas, Meireles, Gerrard etc in the squad.

James Pearce is just taking the figure from the Bascombe article. It was posted shortly after on the same day. Something very strange is going on between the club and Aquilani. The Bascombe article was clearly wrote with an agenda of making Aquilani look bad in the fans eyes considering the ridiculous comparison with Carra we know is untrue.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I know which one of them i'd rather have in my team:(

Frank Castle. Everytime. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If anything, its Carra who is on the 125k and Aqua the 60k.

There isn't a hope in hell Aquilani is on anymore than 75k.

Comparing Kuyt/Maxi to Aquilani is just silly anyway. They play different positions which managers may have felt we didn't have sufficient depth. At the time of letting Aquilani go last year we had a fit Lucas, Meireles, Gerrard etc in the squad.

James Pearce is just taking the figure from the Bascombe article. It was posted shortly after on the same day. Something very strange is going on between the club and Aquilani. The Bascombe article was clearly wrote with an agenda of making Aquilani look bad in the fans eyes considering the ridiculous comparison with Carra we know is untrue.

Opr

How do we know what Carra earns?

How do we know what Carra earns?

It was widely reported at the time that Purslow gave him a bumper contract extension. It has been widely reported that Aquilani is getting around 70k and this was the figure reported by most places when he signed. The first time this mad figure of £125k has appeared was in that Bascome article. Bascombe is a known **** and friends with Carra.

This is getting extremely tedious can we just leave it alone now. He will most likely be gone in the coming days so who really cares at this stage.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

If Aquilani isn't on an obscene (£100k+) wage then he must have a seriously bad relationship with at least one, maybe more of the players/staff. It's the only other explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

So it's 4 out 1 in .

Jeez I hope we are going to have a very busy August . Mind you I wouldn't mind seeing one or two more leaving .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement