Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Leiva wrote: »
    So it's 4 out 1 in .

Jeez I hope we are going to have a very busy August . Mind you I wouldn't mind seeing one or two more leaving .

Think he said today they're hard at it with transfers, fair play to em though better waiting then getting shafted like all the signings last season! I reckon allen will go through after the olympics and they're just playing hardball for dempsey. He's apparently after refusing to go on pre-season as he wants to join us basically doing a van persie on it reducing his price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I find all these guys leaving quite therapeutic, to be honest

Allen plus two more forwards would do me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I find all these guys leaving quite therapeutic, to be honest

Allen plus two more forwards would do me

I would as well if I thought we were restructuring the wage bill rather than just looking to reduce it massively. We have now removed a number of our highest earners without investing any of that money. Wage bill has a direct correlation with PL finishing positions. I thought the whole point of removing these wages was to free them up for incoming players. Allen won't be on big money.

We've yet to sort out contracts for some of our senior players. FSG have allowed Ayre to do our deals instead of paying for someone with experience in that area to help us. Whatever way you look at it Rodgers did represent the cheap option in terms of other managers people wanted for the job. FSG have invested next to nothing net into the club since the takeover.

If the former owners were in charge people would be screaming blue murder. I am hoping over the next month things will change but how anyone is kicking back enjoying all this is beyond me.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Rafa never had anything to do with wages.

And it's very doubtful he was actually on 125k. Only source for that is Bascombe, who in the same article said Carra was on 60k, which we pretty much know to be false after his bumper new contract just before FSG bought pool over. Since the Bascombe article, everywhere says 125, but I still really doubt this - and him.

If Aqui's on something around 80k a week, that ties in with the 5 million handshake, which would pay the difference in his wages with fiorentina for 2 years. If he's on 125, the handshake would need to be more like 9 million.

Basically, everything, including common sense, points to Aqui being on around 75/80k per week - still huge, but a damn sight short of the preposterous 125k claim.

Torres got 110k a week after May 09:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/picturegalleries/5984133/Top-10-Premier-League-wage-earners-in-pictures.html

No way Aqua is on 125k.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

opr wrote: »
    I would as well if I thought we were restructuring the wage bill rather than just looking to reduce it massively. We have now removed a number of our highest earners without investing any of that money. Wage bill has a direct correlation with PL finishing positions. I thought the whole point of removing these wages was to free them up for incoming players. Allen won't be on big money.

We've yet to sort out contracts for some of our senior players. FSG have allowed Ayre to do our deals instead of paying for someone with experience in that area to help us. Whatever way you look at it Rodgers did represent the cheap option in terms of other managers people wanted for the job. FSG have invested next to nothing net into the club since the takeover.

If the former owners were in charge people would be screaming blue murder. I am hoping over the next month things will change but how anyone is kicking back enjoying all this is beyond me.

Opr

Firstly the owners should not be expected to invest any more money in the club. They already spend hundreds of million clearing our debt and the club now has to stand on its own two feet.

If in a years time we see that the wage bill has been slashed and revenues have increased and the owners have been skimming money off the top then I'll admit I was wrong. But I 100% believe that was has happened this summer needed to happen - that is a new manager coming in and some of our high earners sent out the door.
    We don't know what is going to happen for the rest of the window, but I would be disappointed if our net spend wasn't in excess of £20m this summer given our wage savings and I still think there will be a biggish signing on the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,507 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Its crazy season in the tabloids,
    So many crazy stories, Whats fact whats fiction,
    Who knows, We all fall for it,
    But most of it is bull#
    And easy to make up, based on a pic, a comment, a link
    crazy
    I'll make rumor up

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkW7etCt2FKcmhTUCfPguADOzKaYjvC0tDPbouQ-fVLPQ4Y7221g

''Jose Murinho and Torres in secret beach meeting about a switch to Bernabeu''

Daily mail will probably run this story tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

But most of it is bull#
    crazy
    I'll make rumor up

Get that on twitter now it will be trending worldwide in about 20 mins .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

But most of it is bull#
    crazy
    I'll make rumor up

I'm just wondering what bloody sites were you trawling to find that pic :pac:

Opr

Aqualani and Cole would be the 2 main culprits atm, well besides Carra. No reason we couldn't offer Agger and Skrtle good increased offers and offer attractive packages for prospective signings.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

If we can land Dempsey and Allen I'll be happy enough heading into the new season. I think we have decent enough cover in the youth players worst case scenario and I would imagine if Rodgers has a good season we will see stronger investment from FSG. After the joke of transfers last season I wouldn't blame them for not throwing money at players again. Let him prove to them that he can spot players and bed them in nicely.
    Still, a marquee signing would be nice :P

• Advertisement

Yakult wrote: »
    If we can land Dempsey and Allen I'll be happy enough heading into the new season. I think we have decent enough cover in the youth players worst case scenario and I would imagine if Rodgers has a good season we will see stronger investment from FSG. After the joke of transfers last season I wouldn't blame them for not throwing money at players again. Let him prove to them that he can spot players and bed them in nicely.
    Still, a marquee signing would have been nice :P

31 days left in the window. :D

Kess73 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what bloody sites were you trawling to find that pic :pac:

Yea, lol
    actually

'' friend let down quote ''
    Google image search. That pic is in there , 11 scrolls down :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

31 days left in the window. :D

ninja edit ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Firstly the owners should not be expected to invest any more money in the club. They already spend hundreds of million clearing our debt and the club now has to stand on its own two feet.

If in a years time we see that the wage bill has been slashed and revenues have increased and the owners have been skimming money off the top then I'll admit I was wrong. But I 100% believe that was has happened this summer needed to happen - that is a new manager coming in and some of our high earners sent out the door.
    We don't know what is going to happen for the rest of the window, but I would be disappointed if our net spend wasn't in excess of £20m this summer given our wage savings and I still think there will be a biggish signing on the way

I'm not sure they've put anything in yet tbh.
    Regardless, they are entitled to do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Dempsey, Allen and one more signing in the attacking area that can get us a bit excited and I'll be fairly happy with the summer business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Whatawaster, would Allen or Dempsey be classed as a biggish signing?

They put in money to buy the club.

I'm pretty sure they've said all along that the club has to support itself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Mr Alan wrote: »

Why do we need a big signing? Downing was a big signing, how did that work out?

They put in money to buy the club.

I'm pretty sure they've said all along that the club has to support itself

Buying the club which is an investment hardly constitutes putting money into the club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Regardless of what they invested, if you saw 100 million wasted in a year, I think you would be alot more cautious too.

For as much as I would love to see them throw another 100 million at players, I can't blame them for being alot more cautious this season.

They're looking at getting rid of the deadwood/high wages first and foremost. Im hoping they realise they need to invest something though, simpy to try and fix the **** up Kenny Comolli caused last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I didn't say we did. I just asked a question? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Melion wrote: »

No he wasn't. He was a sh1t signing for a big fee. A big difference

Big signing does not have to be a mega money signing imho.

amiable wrote: »

He was a big name for a big fee. Thats a big signing

He was a big name for a big fee. Thats a big signing

No he wasn't. He was an average player signed for silly money. Simple as that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Downing is not a big name lol
    he has never played well for England & we know they are poor
    why we paid 20m for him i will never know

To describe Downing before he came to Liverpool you would use words like

Honest, Reliable, Consistent , Hard Working, Creative,
    If not scoring then assisting,

No one could have predicted the poor season he had,
    I for one thing it will change under Rogers,
    It's clear Rogers wants him, Can't see him going any where
    And hopefully the Downing we all knew can return,

He never was flashy, But dependable to pitch in with assists and odd goal
    Not to much to ask of the man next season,

MD1990 wrote: »
    Downing is not a big name lol
    he has never played well for England & we know they are poor
    why we paid 20m for him i will never know

Perhaps his middle names are Alophonsus Cornelius which turns him in to a big name ? :D

Mr Alan wrote: »

Probably not, no, but that doesn't really matter. A big signing can mean different things to different people and can depend on price or reputation, which aren't nearly as important as current or future ability.

I don't care how much these signings cost, as long as they fill the gaps in our squad and do the job on the pitch

Borini is exactly the age and profile of player I would like us to sign and he was a decent price too

joe123 wrote: »
    Regardless of what they invested, if you saw 100 million wasted in a year, I think you would be alot more cautious too.

For as much as I would love to see them throw another 100 million at players, I can't blame them for being alot more cautious this season.

They're looking at getting rid of the deadwood/high wages first and foremost. Im hoping they realise they need to invest something though, simpy to try and fix the **** up Kenny Comolli caused last year.

I'd have been more cautions in the first place than hiring a complete spoofer in the form of Comolli, a not very good spoofer at that.

They have a serious amount of egg on their face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

So sterling,morgan and shelvey are heading to belarus, will it be the usual craic of starting 11 + 7 subs so just 18 travelling or will they bring a few spares? Would say it'll be a team like that played against toronto.

Cant wait for all the streaming again..christ!!

They got the club for a massively knock down price with a huge portion of the debt lumped back on H&G with the holding company. Yes they did clear some debt but the hundreds of millions were spent buying an asset, LFC. An asset which had a silly low price to have the incorporation of debt payment.

They may get lucky in that they've stumbled into a youth system which is just about to start producing players something which has had nothing to do with them. So far though they've done nothing to help convince me they've much clue about what they're doing.

As for investment. The club currently can't support its ambitions so in the short term I expected investment from them. With all of our rivals throwing money around them we need some money invested in the club. The most important part of the clubs growth will be success on the pitch.

Opr

Well Borini and Allen would be good signings for the future. £15 Million would be high though.

FSG's net spend ;) was only about £35 Million or so up to the Summer, I know we shaved a big chunk of wages but we also had to pay off a couple of contracts, Degen definitely, subsidise loans and it looks like Aqua now will have to be paid off, I can see the same happening with Cole.

If we can't generate one high sale, Agger and Skrtle are no goers which only really leaves Carroll who nobody will pay near £20 Million for, I can't see us spending more than £30 Million odd, which leaves out the excting signing, unless we want to blow it on 1 player.

They got the club for a massively knock down price with a huge portion of the debt lumped back on H&G with the holding company. Yes they did clear some debt but the hundreds of millions were spent buying an asset, LFC. An asset which had a silly low price to have the incorporation of debt payment.

They may get lucky in that they've stumbled into a youth system which is just about to start producing players something which has had nothing to do with them. So far though they've done nothing to help convince me they've much clue about what they're doing.

As for investment. The club currently can't support its ambitions so in the short term I expected investment from them. With all of our rivals throwing money around them we need some money invested in the club. The most important part of the clubs growth will be success on the pitch.

Opr

If it was a massively knocked down price there would have been buyers queuing up to nab us.

Gareth Bale starts tonight for Spurs despite the vicious assault on him by Charlie Adam at the weekend.

What a hero.

Gareth Bale starts tonight for Spurs despite the vicious assault on him by Charlie Adam at the weekend.

What a hero.
    playing up front it said on ESPN
    Bale thinks he is Ronaldo not half the player he is though

If it was a massively knocked down price there would have been buyers queuing up to nab us.

Not many people want to get involved with a football club as an investment. Especially given the microscope at Liverpool with the cynical nature of our fan base from what we endured under H&G. It doesn't take away from the fact the club was going for a good price. The problem is people who get involved with football clubs generally do it to blow large sums of money :) So when selling a club often you're looking for one of those rather than an investor.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Big signing does not have to be a mega money signing imho.

Take a look at Joe Cole for example

:p

The Times reporting that Bellamy close to a move to Cardiff.

Opr

The Times reporting that Bellamy has secured a move to Cardiff.

Opr
    are they reliable?
    Bellamy is our best Winger
    it would be stupid to let him go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The Times reporting that Bellamy close to a move to Cardiff.

Opr

That's worrying. We really, really need to start signing players.

are they reliable?
    Bellamy is our best Winger
    it would be stupid to let him go

I changed the wording a little as the article is behind a pay wall so haven't read it. Supposedly it says they're close to a deal with us. Yeah they would be more reliable than most.

Opr

I'm sorry but a player with 30/40 England caps is a big name player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What a hero.

So brave.

I'm sorry but a player with 30/40 England caps is a big name player.
    how many were starts about 5-10

how many were starts about 5-10

I don't know but I'd hazard a guess at 20+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

What a hero.

brave-poster.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

In about 18 months more and more people will realise that these owner's don't have a notion about football and how it works, on the pitch. (not that this is unique).

And in about 3 years people will be begging for what Dalglish achieved this year in the cups.

Financial fair play wont mean diddly squat and there will be fresh calls and increased popularity for a breakaway league.

At that point in football's evolutionary tale, as a fan of the sport, my extinction will become imminent.

Goodnight now, sleep well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

daithijjj wrote: »
    In about 18 months more and more people will realise that these owner's don't have a notion about football and how it works, on the pitch. (not that this is unique).

And in about 3 years people will be begging for what Dalglish achieved this year in the cups.

Financial fair play wont mean diddly squat and there will be fresh calls and increased popularity for a breakaway league.

At that point in football's evolutionary tale, as a fan of the sport, my extinction will become imminent.

Goodnight now, sleep well.
    Can I have the lotto numbers for tomorrow night please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

BBC Wednesday Gossip Column report Spurs readying an outright bid for Carroll

Don't ya just love silly season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement