Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Why are people so sure we've no problem in offering Agger the kind of big money contract that will be needed for him to sign an extension? The new owners I don't think have given out any new contracts to the senior players in the squad. I'm very hopeful the big wages needed to get these players to sign are available but so far no evidence of it seems to exist.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

opr wrote: »
    Why are people so sure we've no problem in offering Agger the kind of big money contract that will be needed for him to sign an extension? The new owners I don't think have given out any new contracts to the senior players in the squad. I'm very hopeful the big wages needed to get these players to sign are available but so far no evidence of it seems to exist.

Opr

Not true. Gerrard signed a contract extension this year. Pretty sure that there were a few players who signed extensions last summer as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Seriously guys, the bookies don't have a clue what is happening.

Agger will be wearing a Liverpool shirt this season, it's beyond even questioning.

When they don't have a clue the don't offer prices. Prices are reflection of % chance of event happening, then through in their overround. I'd rather see Agger at 1/4 to stay than 5/4 to stay.

Obviously i hope there is nothing in it, but theyt don't randomly put up markets like this unless they have a source close to whats going on. 5/4 to STAY is different to throwing up some mug market like next manager and offering two people odds on. Like LL says above, i'll be happy when he signs a new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

opr wrote: »
    I don't agree with a fair amount of this but I thought you would like it.

Opr
    Loved the bit about BR being a 'snake eye' salesman. I could have sworn that was illegal or else BRs 180 page manifesto is a follow on to '50 shades of grey':D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

When they don't have a clue the don't offer prices. Prices are reflection of % chance of event happening, then through in their overround. I'd rather see Agger at 1/4 to stay than 5/4 to stay.

Obviously i hope there is nothing in it, but theyt don't randomly put up markets like this unless they have a source close to whats going on. 5/4 to STAY is different to throwing up some mug market like next manager and offering two people odds on. Like LL says above, i'll be happy when he signs a new contract.
    Bookies get it wrong all the time and often offer teaser prices (i.e. they might let you get £2 on a big price to sucker you in). I don't know what the situation is what Agger and his contract, but Rodgers has public ally praised him and will be very eager to keep him, he fits the Rodgers philosophy to a tee after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Tonight Matthew I'm going to be .....

proxy.jpg?t=FQQVAhgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG93L2xhcmdlL2FlNzZycy5qcGcUBBYAEgA&s=0AvsvsjAsn2lNLl3bUGV-Rl2B1_7cFUe-mv2yMSxZNo

It is not that long since the summer that Ribery was something like 3/1 to stay at Bayern, and something like 1/2 to join Liverpool.

A rush of money being laid one way or another can have a big effect on what odds get listed, and we could just as easily see a lot of money now go on Agger to stay which will bring down the odds that bookies will offer but those odds have no bearing on what the player wants to do.

Leiva wrote: »
    Tonight Matthew I'm going to be .....

proxy.jpg?t=FQQVAhgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG93L2xhcmdlL2FlNzZycy5qcGcUBBYAEgA&s=0AvsvsjAsn2lNLl3bUGV-Rl2B1_7cFUe-mv2yMSxZNo

I burst out laughing at that pic. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Originally Posted by Daniel Agger

It is unacceptable to play for one of Liverpool's arch rivals. For a Dane, it's about having respect for the club you play at. I am proud to be able to pull on my Liverpool jersey and will never go to another club in England.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/10/fernando-torres-liverpool-daniel-agger

Talk is cheap sometimes but I'd be surprised if Agger ended up at Manchester City.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    OPR, I agree with some of that article above, however the comparrison between Rodgers dealings with the press & Hodgsons is stupid. Rodgers has conducted himself impeccably (apart from the Andy Carroll cock up), Hodgson spoke cretinous nonsense from the beginning.

They are of course miles apart. I don't think he was comparing the two just saying they do tend to speak alot about themselves and what they've done in football to deserve this job. He goes on to say he thinks Rodgers is excellent at it.(Bull****ting). Lets be honest that's what dealing with the press is about.

The cynical side of me has often thought Rodgers seems to lay the sentiment a little thick at times. Interviews in which it doesn't feel like he's speaking from the heart but rather a prepared speech which has carefully laden quotes about our history and pride of the job. Listen I love all that stuff but I remember hearing one short interview in which he must have mentioned the great traditions of the club at the start of nearly every sentence.

It feels at times like he knows how to manipulate and play the game a little too well but don't get me wrong that is a great thing if behind the bull**** substance also lies. Even writing this post I know how uber cynical others may think it comes across but unfortunately events have left me severely battle weary at this stage.

Opr

• Advertisement

Bookies get it wrong all the time and often offer teaser prices (i.e. they might let you get £2 on a big price to sucker you in). I don't know what the situation is what Agger and his contract, but Rodgers has public ally praised him and will be very eager to keep him, he fits the Rodgers philosophy to a tee after all.

Agger has two years left on his current contract, and came out on Danish tv in late June and to that he is very happy to continue living in Liverpool, and that he would be happy to sit down and discuss a contract extension if the club wanted him to stay beyond the summer of 2014.

There has been no contradicting quotes attributed to the player, and noting bar tabloid rumours saying he could be off to City.

As things stand I am happier to take actual comments from the player himself than some waffle from a red top.

Blatter wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/10/fernando-torres-liverpool-daniel-agger

Talk is cheap sometimes but I'd be surprised if Agger ended up at Manchester City.

He gave a very similar interview in late June of this year, and almost seemed insulted at the suggestion of playing for another English club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Prices aren't a reflection of the % chance of an event happening..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Kess73 wrote: »
    He gave a very similar interview in late June of this year, and almost seemed insulted at the suggestion of playing for another English club.

A bit like Torres a few years ago..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Agger has two years left on his current contract, and came out on Danish tv in late June and to that he is very happy to continue living in Liverpool, and that he would be happy to sit down and discuss a contract extension if the club wanted him to stay beyond the summer of 2014.

There has been no contradicting quotes attributed to the player, and noting bar tabloid rumours saying he could be off to City.

As things stand I am happier to take actual comments from the player himself than some waffle from a red top.

tumblr_lwumyjXdBV1qbu7w1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

kippy wrote: »

And we saw what happened Torres when he and Agger met after he left :pac:

I am wary of footballers proclaiming their allegiance to the club but Agger is one of the few I would have some faith left in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's not doom mongering & I didn't go into the reason why each left. There is a case to be made for each leaving, but they need to be replaced well.

If you want to say Cole is already a Liverpool player, fine. The picture then looks even worse with Carroll, Maxi, Bellamy & Carroll leaving with Borini & Dempsey (although we may not even get him) coming in.

You could also say this window will likely see Carroll, Maxi, Kuyt, Aquilani and Bellamy leaving with Allen, Borini, Cole & Dempsey coming in. I think it's very reasonable to say that the squad will be in a weaker place than at the beginning of the window.

I'm not blaming Rodgers, I'm not blaming the owners. I'm not going into any of that. I'm just pointing out IF that is our business, it'll have been a catastrophic window. I don't think that's up for dispute.

OPR, I agree with some of that article above, however the comparrison between Rodgers dealings with the press & Hodgsons is stupid. Rodgers has conducted himself impeccably (apart from the Andy Carroll cock up), Hodgson spoke cretinous nonsense from the beginning.

If that's how it ends up I think we've improved our starting 11 and improved our second string striker in Dempsey being an upgrade over Carroll. Most importantly it's an improvement on the squad we started last season with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I know we've talked about this season being just about steadying the ship and trying to adapt to a new style etc..., but the more I think about it the more I think it's essential we achieve this season and at least push close for a CL place.

If we have another season finishing 6th, 7th or 8th it's going to be very very difficult to keep the likes of Reina, Skrtel, Agger and Suarez. If we start losing players like that then our mid-table mediocrity will be confirmed.

A few comments earlier suggesting the owners were perhaps skimping. I don't want to overpay for players but I really hope they are not holding back funds and we can bring in the players necessary to challenge.

Because for me if we have a similar season to last year we will be confirmed as a has-been, and top players will understandably look for bigger and better options.

This year is vital. Progress is really important so we can build and take a step forward. If we stay still this year we will go backwards next.

Not true. Gerrard signed a contract extension this year. Pretty sure that there were a few players who signed extensions last summer as well.

The owners seemed to have left things to Kenny/Comolli during that period. They have since talked about the complete disconnect between the vision outlined and the one implemented.

I'm more talking about since Comolli left and Ayre started handling the finances.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I will be sad to see Bellamy go if he goes,as I like him as a player but surely it's better if we have a player who can play more games?

Also people mourning the loss of Maxi and Kuyt really forget how average they were last season.

Think it would be best to wait till window closes before passing judgement, sometimes deals take time to get done.

You could also say this window will likely see Carroll, Maxi, Kuyt, Aquilani and Bellamy leaving with Allen, Borini, Cole & Dempsey coming in. I think it's very reasonable to say that the squad will be in a weaker place than at the beginning of the window.
    I don't agree with you.

Carroll has been discussed to death at this stage. I don't believe he is an integral part to this team.

Maxi was a decent player for us, but considering his age, he was never likely to be anything more than that. I am happy enough for him to step aside if it means we see more of Pacheco, Sterling and Suso.

Kuyt had been struggling for awhile with us, and last season had his most lackluster run for us. He will always be a Liverpool legend, but quite frankly his time had come.

Bellamy is tricky. He was our best wide player last season but we have to be realistic. He is 33, he has bad knees and has been injury prone in the past. Perhaps we should be keeping him for another year as a rotation player, but the man himself may not be interested in that role.

As for Aquilani, I think I have been pretty clear on him. He was a parasite and a waster of the highest order. I would have Jay Spearing before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Maxi was not average last season, he was underused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The last few days have left me feeling very uneasy with regards to the season ahead.

For the last few weeks I had somewhat come around to the appointment of BR after my initial disdain. Now, I'm not gonna say that I've regressed back to "fcuking Brendan Rodgers" or anything, in fact I've been impressed by what I read of him and what I've seen so far.

However, unless our squad shapes up mightily quick, I may struggle with my cautious optimism towards both Rodgers and FSG as we approach the season ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »
    The last few days have left me feeling very uneasy with regards to the season ahead.

For the last few weeks I had somewhat come around to the appointment of BR after my initial disdain. Now, I'm not gonna say that I've regressed back to "fcuking Brendan Rodgers" or anything, in fact I've been impressed by what I read of him and what I've seen so far.

However, unless our squad shapes up mightily quick, I may struggle with my cautious optimism towards both Rodgers and FSG as we approach the season ahead.

How Brandon handles these Agger and Carroll situations will determine if I warm to him or not....if he can convince Andy Carroll to get a haircut and tattoos and sell him to Man City as Daniel Agger I will see him as the third coming of Kenny Dalglish.

kippy wrote: »

Agger is about to start his seventh season at the club, his seventh season living in the city. It would not be too hard to see how the guy might feel somewhat settled at this point, and given that he has always been a much plainer speaker than the likes of Torres and less inclined to give media friendly answers to questions, I still think I will be takling what came out of the player's mouth over some red top or some randomer on Twitter.

There was talk in a few red tops about clubs looking at Lucas as well. Maybe people should take the tabloid talk on him as being something of substance as well.

As for the Torres thing, well I have said many times since he left that I reckon there is yet to be a can of worms opened on that, and that one or two autobiographies might have some interesting chapters added to them once a few players retire or move country and are in need of a publicity/ego boost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

tok9 wrote: »
    Maxi was not average last season, he was underused!

Yeah but I can understand him wanting to leave after the treatment he received last season though.

@Francie Re Bellamy his age and his knees: I think you are just rationalising here. He was one of the few players that was an attacking threat last season, loves playing for the club and has a great attitude. It makes no sense at all unless the player himself wants to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I'm generally optimistic for the Rodgers era but have to admit that LL and that other post about the direction the club is going make some very good points. I mean seriously, when did Liverpool FC reach a point where we'd be excited about signing players such as Clint Dempsey and Joe Allen? If we are supposed to be building towards winning the league in the next few years it makes sense to consider whether these players would make a Man City, Man U, Chelsea, or Arsenal team and until we sign some players of at least close to that calibre I would agree that a lot of the owners' and the new manager's words ring a bit hollow.

Losing Bellamy would not be good either.

Milkers wrote: »
    I'm generally optimistic for the Rodgers era but have to admit that LL and that other post about the direction the club is going make some very good points. I mean seriously, when did Liverpool FC reach a point where we'd be excited about signing players such as Clint Dempsey and Joe Allen? If we are supposed to be building towards winning the league in the next few years it makes sense to consider whether these players would make a Man City, Man U, Chelsea, or Arsenal team and until we sign some players of at least close to that calibre I would agree that a lot of the owners' and the new manager's words ring a bit hollow.

Losing Bellamy would not be good either.

We can aim to try and get players that would be good enough for the first teams of those clubs, but the simple fact is that for the past three seasons Liverpol FC has slumped into the position of being amongst the mid table chasing pack rather than being a genuine top 4 or CL team.

The players that they can get (and afford in the case of at least three of those clubs) on recent reputation will propably be of a more established nature than what we can get bar an exception or two here and there.

It makes far more sense to me for Liverpool to be going after some of the young and very talented players in other leagues who may be at title winning clubs at present but their clubs would be unable to match the kind of wages that Liverpool can offer and still of a lower status than Liverpool fc.

Much easier to attract a talented player before he becomes a household name, than wait for him to become the same level of talented player who is now wanted by all the big clubs because he is a household name.

CL7 wrote: »
    Yeah but I can understand him wanting to leave after the treatment he received last season though.

@Francie Re Bellamy his age and his knees: I think you are just rationalising here. He was one of the few players that was an attacking threat last season, loves playing for the club and has a great attitude. It makes no sense at all unless the player himself wants to leave.

If Bellamy wants to leave, or if there are medical reasons that state that he would not be capable of playing one game (or a part of one game) a week over the course of a season, then I would let him go.

If he is capable of being available once a week over the course of a season, then I would keep him. Does not mean he would automatically play once a week, but he would have to be physically able for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

We can aim to try and get players that would be good enough for the first teams of those clubs, but the simple fact is that for the past three seasons Liverpol FC has slumped into the position of being amongst the mid table chasing pack rather than being a genuine top 4 or CL team.

The players that they can get (and afford in the case of at least three of those clubs) on recent reputation will propably be of a more established nature than what we can get bar an exception or two here and there.

It makes far more sense to me for Liverpool to be going after some of the young and very talented players in other leagues who may be at title winning clubs at present but their clubs would be unable to match the kind of wages that Liverpool can offer and still of a lower status than Liverpool fc.

Much easier to attract a talented player before he becomes a household name, than wait for him to become the same level of talented player who is now wanted by all the big clubs because he is a household name.

What you are saying is true , but to me the reason why people are loosing it is over the fact FSG did say we would make one marquee signing a summer when the revenue of the club improved .
    Well the revenue has become alot bigger since they have taken over but yet we still seem to be buying lower tier players which is kind of annoying everybody because it shows there ownership as being similar to arsenals in the fact that its profit over success .
    So I think we will all see the bigger picture after this window on how FSG are going to let Rodgers operate in the Transfer market . I do like their Idea of buying young players but then buying too many young players could leave you with a vastly under experienced squad .

• Advertisement

Jeez Brendan no pressure . You have cleared out and weakened the team for strengthening - only four weeks left to complete, no pressure like ! :eek:

What you are saying is true , but to me the reason why people are loosing it is over the fact FSG did say we would make one marquee signing a summer when the revenue of the club improved .
    Well the revenue has become alot bigger since they have taken over but yet we still seem to be buying lower tier players which is kind of annoying everybody because it shows there ownership as being similar to arsenals in the fact that its profit over success .
    So I think we will all see the bigger picture after this window on how FSG are going to let Rodgers operate in the Transfer market . I do like their Idea of buying young players but then buying too many young players could leave you with a vastly under experienced squad .

Well seems to me that the time to call them liars or what not on that claim is if the actual summer transfer window closes in 30 days time without at least one quality signing.

Granted we would all love to be able to talk right now about three or four new signings being at the club, but if it takes until the 31st August to get the men needed to improve our squad then so be it.

Until then it just seems a waste of time to criticise the manager or owners on not having brought in a certain player or a certain number of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The German 'Sport Bild' newspaper says, Agger is off to Barcelona for 15 Million quid :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well seems to me that the time to call them liars or what not on that claim is if the actual summer transfer window closes in 30 days time without at least one quality signing.

Granted we would all love to be able to talk right now about three or four new signings being at the club, but if it takes until the 31st August to get the men needed to improve our squad then so be it.

Until then it just seems a waste of time to criticise the manager or owners on not having brought in a certain player or a certain number of players.

I agree with this, but there is little or no cause for optimism right this minute. Some people have sealed deals for the likes of Allen and Dempsey in their minds - they have to get done, and then get done at the right price before you can start to feel confident imo.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    The German 'Sport Bild' newspaper says, Agger is off to Barcelona for 15 Million quid :mad:

Thats a piece of thrash , its worse then the Star and all the tabloid newspapers in this country for its B.S transfer rumours . To me they are nearly as bad as goal.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

How reliable are these Bellamy rumours?

I'd be disappointed if he were to leave, I still think he has a lot to offer weak knees or not. He's still got a great bit of pace and has the aggression and tenacity off the ball needed. He has shown a new found maturity in the last couple of years and looks like a very good guy to have in the squad in general.

There were stages last season where he looked head and shoulders above any of our other attacking options on the pitch.

Maxi, Kuyt yes I'm happy enough to have off the wage bill but Bellamy no.

I'd go as far to say that as of now he is in our best XI. He would be much needed quality backup even if we were to bring in a player to play regularly ahead of him.

I know what you are saying but right now we are putting ourselves in a bad position to be fleeced by other clubs . I think its very hard for Rodgers to pick out players because he doesn't really know what he is working with yet in the fact that he hasn't played a competitive game .
    I would really like to see us get in at least one player before August 18th but we have to do our deals the best way possible and also establish back up plans too .
    I think the reason why most people are loosing it over the lack of transfers is the fact that we seem to be abit weaker then we where at the end of the season . Our first six games of the season are the hardest opening six any club have been given . I would have thought we would have tried to get all our business done by the start of the Europa League so we could get the squad playing and ready for our opening six games .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I seriously hope we pull the finger out soon. I was worried we hadn't signed anyone a few days into the window, now we're a day away from our first competitive match and we've only signed one player who's managed about 25 mins of a friendly with us.

I'm getting very worried about our opening fixtures in the league. The idea that Joe Cole could be starting says it all really. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Thats a piece of thrash , its worse then the Star and all the tabloid newspapers in this country for its B.S transfer rumours . To me they are nearly as bad as goal.com.

At least, the figure of 15 Million quid seems to be accurate. It's his market value, according to 'Transfermarkt.de', which is a reliable site.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    At least, the figure of 15 Million quid seems to be accurate. It's his market value, according to 'Transfermarkt.de', which is a reliable site.

With two years left on his contract, and going by the price of other top center halfs, we should be pressing for at least €20m if forced to sell.

However, I don't think Agger is the type to force a move (could well be wrong), so I'm confident he's staying put.

• Advertisement

Agree with it all but I can't remember a season in recent history that we have seen so many outs and feck all in's with only 30 days remaining in the summer window.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I agree with this, but there is little or no cause for optimism right this minute. Some people have sealed deals for the likes of Allen and Dempsey in their minds - they have to get done, and then get done at the right price before you can start to feel confident imo.

Dropping Schrodinger's cat in coversations has become quite the cliche, one that I am certainly guilty of, but right now the cat is the hope and expectations of the supporters. None of us know how this transfer window will turn out and the cat may well be alive or dead as we type. We just won't know until the close of the transfer window.

Agree about Allen and Dempsey though, have noticed quite a few people talking about them as if they were already Liverpool players, just as a few have been talking about current Liverpool players as if they had moved.

I think with regards to optimism or pessimism over transfers, one could argue a case either way and be just as convincing with either arguement.

Personally I had hoped that we would have had two or three players in by the start of August with maybe a player or two to follow in late August, but right now it is what it is, and I won't be passing any personal judgement on the summer window until it has actually ended. Just seems foolish to do so as the right player or players could well take until late August to get, and if that is the case then I prefer that to getting overpriced and undertalented players in early.

If the transfer window does end in disappointment, then that's a debate for when it happens not 30 days beforehand.

Dropping Schrodinger's Anfield cat in coversations.
    None of us know how this transfer window will turn out and the cat may well be alive or dead as we type.

Im alive ..Im alive !! :pac:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWIZa1e7ZyTc9Nc_b2vRulUKWd-vGgTLWqIQG_4cDquMZYRaj0FZigL2yw

Agree with it all but I can't remember a season in recent history that we have seen so many outs and feck all in's with only 30 days remaining in the summer window.

People keep mentioning the fact that there have been so many outs.

How many senior players that might have gotten games have actually left the club?

Maxi, and Kuyt.

How many of them were expected to be leaving this summer, even before Kenny was sacked?

Both of them.

Talk of Bellamy, Carroll etc leaving is about as worthless as the talk of Allen, Dempsey etc arriving. None of it has actually happened as of yet.

Im alive ..Im alive !! :pac:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWIZa1e7ZyTc9Nc_b2vRulUKWd-vGgTLWqIQG_4cDquMZYRaj0FZigL2yw

Until someone pokes that cat with a stick it could be dead or alive.:D

People keep mentioning the fact that there have been so many outs.

How many senior players that might have gotten games have actually left the club?

Maxi, and Kuyt.

How many of them were expected to be leaving this summer, even before Kenny was sacked?

Both of them.

Talk of Bellamy, Carroll etc leaving is about as worthless as the talk of Allen, Dempsey etc arriving. None of it has actually happened as of yet.

Fair point but the names above would (worse case) fall under the category of backup which we are now seriously short in that dept.

Until someone pokes that cat with a stick it could be dead or alive.:D

Feck ya Kess you always have a sane answer .. I give up !:p

Agger isn't leaving, but if he was to leave, we should be expecting over £30 million. That is what Thiago Silva cost PSG.

Agger isn't leaving, but if he was to leave, we should be expecting over £30 million. That is what Thiago Silva cost PSG.

Lets be fair now, Silva is the best defender in the world followed by Kompany and Hummels. They deserve premium price of €35-45m.

We would never get that for Agger. Injured too often, and as good as he is, he is just not in that class.

Realistically, if Agger forces the sale (and that is the only scenario in which he would be sold) we would do well to get over €20m I'm afraid. Even if I believe he worth somewhere around the €25m mark.

• Advertisement

Fair point but the names above would (worse case) fall under the category of backup which we are now seriously short in that dept.

Last season on here was full of posts saying Kuyt was passed it and should be moved on, and plenty were saying that Maxi should be shipped out as well.

Last season plenty were saying, not necessarily yourself, were saying that we should be giving our young players run outs instead of those two so what has changed?

Surely if Kuyt and Maxi are gone, then the people who were saying to give some of the reserves run outs should be happy?

Surely Sterling could be used for 10 to 20 games from the bench to see what he has got, and if we are going to go with three in the centre this season instead of two then surely one of the squad spots used by either Kuyt or Maxi can go to a midfielder to act as cover for the extra midfield slot?

Plus we have Borini as a new player in, so really so far we are only one player down from the first team squad in terms of players who would get ten games or more a season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement