Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

SlickRic wrote: »
    there was also word yesterday that Swansea are likely to use our valuation of Jordan Henderson last year as some sort of barometer for any transfer.

seems fair tbh.

damn last season's overspending.

Maybe we should try interest them in some kind of swap then.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

gafferino wrote: »
    Is skysports free on UPC this weekend too? or is it just if you have actual Sky!

No just sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

And anyway wasn't there some Swansea fan site post saying that he's trying to raise a family and he's happy out at the moment.

I mean, if we are going to uproot the lad (and his young family), as we did with Carroll and Henderson, wouldn't it be a concern that he might not settle very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Sappy404 wrote: »
    If in 18 months we're firmly mid-table, out of contention for the CL places and failing to beat lower-table sides at Anfield at every other home match, then Rodgers' job will be under threat, make no mistake. Especially if he has brought in 6-7 first-team players who for the most part don't seem to be up to it.

I was fairly torn on Dalglish to be honest. I'd have been happy to see him stay for various reasons, but thought that there was also more than enough reason to justify replacing him. I was underwhelmed when Rodgers was confirmed, but I am looking forward to seeing what we can do with him at the helm.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject to be honest

Looking forward to the season with renewed optimism despite how that may be deemed by some on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Gerrard, Lucas, Adam, Henderson, Shelvey, Aquilani, Spearing and Allen?

Hmm, way too many players for 3 positions. I imagine the thinking is to get shot of Aquilani and allow Shelvey to go on loan again.

Better to sell Spearing or Adam, we'd get about the same fee for Aqua but he'll bring more to the team.

Please don't send out Shelvey, I think he could really progress in the side. There will be injuries, suspensions, people rested. He could get 20 games easy, and learn a lot from Stevie, Lucas and Rodgers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

And anyway wasn't there some Swansea fan site post saying that he's trying to raise a family and he's happy out at the moment.

I mean, if we are going to uproot the lad (and his young family), as we did with Carroll and Henderson, wouldn't it be a concern that he might not settle very well.

He could still live in Wales, it's not a huge uprooting. I don't think Henderson has shown any real difficulty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Dickerty wrote: »
    He could still live in Wales, it's not a huge uprooting. I don't think Henderson has shown any real difficulty...

But once that exclusive is revealed about him the lad is just going to fall apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

as well as the fact he's a Utd fan.

there's no smoke without fire I suspect with regards this transfer, but at the same time, I can't help smelling a bit of bullshít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just to put matters in perspective Dave Whelan has told Chelsea to get stuffed, having offered 10 million for Moses.

Austerity? What austerity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He would need to move much closer to the club. Swansea to Liverpool is a long commute. As the bird flies it is about 130 - 135 miles from Liverpool, but if you want to drive it (and make good time) Then you need to take the M6 and go down toward Bristol, across to Cardiff and on to Swansea. That's the bones of a 240 - 250 mile trip each way.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Just to put matters in perspective Dave Whelan has told Chelsea to get stuffed, having offered 10 million for Moses.

21707631.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

15 million for Joe Allen....
    I hoped I clicked into the Humour Forum in error, but to my desolation I had not :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Slattsy wrote: »
    15 million for Joe Allen....
    I hoped I clicked into the Humour Forum in error, but to my desolation I had not :(

I hope that someone just came up with that number pretty randomly based on amounts we paid last year and now it has grown into a fact.

We would have to sell or loan out Adam and Spearing if we sign Allen. I was hoping Aquilani would be staying this year but this could signal his move away (if someone comes in for him).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Europa League draw in a few minutes.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2013/draws/index.html

Expect them to faff about, patting themselves on the back and showing highlights of last year's tournament for a while before they actually get to the thing. We'll get one of the following:

NK Osijek (CRO)/Kalmar FF (SWE), FC Arsenal Kyiv (UKR), FC Spartak Trnava (SVK)/Sligo Rovers FC (IRL), FK Renova (MKD)/FC Gomel (BLR), Dundee United FC (SCO), Maccabi Netanya FC (ISR)/KuPS Kuopio (FIN)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

NEDDURC wrote: »
    I hope that someone just came up with that number pretty randomly based on amounts we paid last year and now it has grown into a fact.

We would have to sell or loan out Adam and Spearing if we sign Allen. I was hoping Aquilani would be staying this year but this could signal his move away (if someone comes in for him).

That makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Gerrard, Lucas, Adam, Henderson, Shelvey, Aquilani, Spearing and Allen?

Hmm, way too many players for 3 positions. I imagine the thinking is to get shot of Aquilani and allow Shelvey to go on loan again.

Unless we start playing like the spanish team with little to no strikers.
    5 or 6 across the midfield! With needed cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Spartak Trnava or Dundee United for me please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Gago is hardly going to come to us to sit on the bench.

With Banega and Tino Costa already at the club that's probably what he's going to do at Valencia, unless they're selling one of them, which is always possible at Valencia.

Incidentally, I think I'd rather have Banega than Allen for the 15m quid suggested.
    Better to sell Spearing or Adam, we'd get about the same fee for Aqua but he'll bring more to the team.

Please don't send out Shelvey, I think he could really progress in the side. There will be injuries, suspensions, people rested. He could get 20 games easy, and learn a lot from Stevie, Lucas and Rodgers...

I'd certainly get rid of Adam.
    Spearing is probably happy to have a very limited role, at least for the moment. I think he should be kept in reserve for this year.

Gerrard, Lucas, (Allen), Aquilani, Shelvey and Spearing would be fine if Rodgers is going to consistently rest players in the cups.
    I think given the kind of injury we had we probably ought to give Lucas a fairly easy season are Gerrard shouldn't start 50% of our games even if fit. We want him when it matters against the top 6-10 teams and cup finals if we get to any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

That makes no sense.

I does to me. We've too many midfielders. If we could get some cash for them all the better as they won't get much game time.

Leon Britton played as the most denfensive player in the Swansea team last year but his role wasn't just defensive it was as a link man with very accurate passing. I don't see either of these players being able to play that role.

Lucas will obviously be playing this role for Liverpool this year. If he is injured we have a problem but I'd see Aquilani as the next best passer that could maybe play that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Spearing is a grand player to have. Cheap and willing with a realistic understanding of where he stands in the pecking order. Off loading him would be silly. He provides useful back up for Lucas and - when asked to play within his limitations - has never let anyone down.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Spearing is a grand player to have. Cheap and willing with a realistic understanding of where he stands in the pecking order. Off loading him would be silly. He provides useful back up for Lucas and - when asked to play within his limitations - has never let anyone down.
    He is paid feck all and he won't be expecting first team action. It's senseless to get rid of him.

yup, keep Spearing.

but we must buy someone more able to replace Lucas if he's injured.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Melion wrote: »
    Ugh, valencia signed Gago and Canales for €9m. Sickening that quality players move for so little and we are never sniffing around.

Canales suffered a fairly bad injury last season.

Gago is a DM, who wouldn't come to be a bench player.

While I'm a fan of the former and would have loved us to have sign him (we were linked with him last summer and even for a few summers before that if I'm not mistaken), there is a risk with him at this moment in time. I understand the crux of your post, and I do agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Stream on UEFA site is down.:
    @Richard_Buxton_

#LFC will face the winners of FK Renova or FC Gomel in their Europa League qualifier

That's either a trip to Macedonia or Belarus.

Gbear wrote: »
    With Banega and Tino Costa already at the club that's probably what he's going to do at Valencia, unless they're selling one of them, which is always possible at Valencia.
    I would say almost for certain that Gago will start most games for Valencia this season. He is being bought as the replacement for Albelda who is going on 35 and has seen better days.

yup, keep Spearing.

Why? Spearing can do a job for a short period if required. Finding a player who can replace him him for a good part of the season will be very difficult and a waste of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Stream on UEFA site is down.: #LFC will face the winners of FK Renova or FC Gomel in their Europa League qualifier

On paper that does appear a tough assignment. Will have to get the big-guns out early....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I would say almost for certain that Gago will start most games for Valencia this season. He is being bought as the replacement for Albelda who is going on 35 and has seen better days.

Maybe, but Albelda didn't get a huge number of games last season and probably only got so many because Banega's car rolled over his foot at a petrol station and he was out injured for most of the season.

Anyway, I don't really rate Gago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Since when was Fergie on the Liverpool board

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18920957

Got zero to do with him just another needless Fergie comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

*Sees Gago and Canales go to Valencia for 9M
    *Sees Liverpool offer 15M for Allen
    *Shoves pencil up nose

Stream on UEFA site is down.:

That's either a trip to Macedonia or Belarus.

Looking like the latter. Gomel lead Renova 2-0 after first leg.

Why? Spearing can do a job for a short period if required. Finding a player who can replace him him for a good part of the season will be very difficult and a waste of resources.

because he can't do the job for any sort of sustained period where it doesn't cost us points.

despite him giving his all, he offers little-to-no composure in the middle of the park. he's relegation battling-Championship standard. nothing more IMO.

i love his attitude, and he can plug a gap the odd game, but not for any length of time.

And what happens if it becomes a longer period, like last season?

Last seaon highlighted a hell of a lot of flaws in our midfield options. Take Lucas out and we end up with a very soft centre made up of players who need a DM or a CM with steel in the team in order to play.

Kess73 wrote: »
    And what happens if it becomes a longer period, like last season?
    We had a string of appalling injuries last season. Lucas, Gerrard, Adam and we had Aquilani on loan. These guys (for the moment at least) are all back. I sincerely doubt that the likes of Gago is going to come to Anfield and tolerate playing second fiddle to Lucas after winning La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

yup, keep Spearing.

I'd rather we buy someone who can provide a fulcrum for the half of the season that Gerrard will be injured. Spearing struggles when it's:

X
    Spearing
    X
    X

When it's:

Spearing

X
    X

He's fine. Lucas / Spearing is a much, much better situation than Gerrard / Adam imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We had a string of appalling injuries last season. Lucas, Gerrard, Adam and we had Aquilani on loan. These guys (for the moment at least) are all back. I sincerely doubt that the likes of Gago is going to come to Anfield and tolerate playing second fiddle to Lucas after winning La Liga.

We are looking to take the load off Lucas this season - he shouldn't be playing in cup games. We need someone who can 1) play the 10-20 cup games we will hopefully play this season, 2) cover Lucas in the league in case of injury 3) play alongside Lucas when needed.

IMO Spearing covers none of those bases. I'm not a fan of him just hanging around to be honest. I don't care how little he is paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I would jizz the oul jocks if we could shift Charlie Adam in a Joe Allen deal .

I could live with Adam + <£8mil for Allen .

"sure those crosses are worth £8 million alone :p

Well he should tolerate it but he won't, despite Lucas is a far superior player to him.

Also, winning La Liga? He won it 5 years ago or so.

I'm sorry but if we are not improving on Spearing and getting adequate backup or competition for Lucas, then it is pure stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If Spearing was a foreigner he would be long gone from Liverpool
    we definetly need a new DM as well

• Advertisement

because he can't do the job for any sort of sustained period where it doesn't cost us points.

despite him giving his all, he offers little-to-no composure in the middle of the park. he's relegation battling-Championship standard. nothing more IMO.

i love his attitude, and he can plug a gap the odd game, but not for any length of time.

So who can do a job for a sustained period that will cost little money and will come here happy to sit on the bench? Spearing is fine, look back at the games last season and he rarely was the main reason we lost/drew games tbh.

The one injury that cost us in midfield was Lucas. All the rest were replaceable last season.

For the standard CM or AM last season we had Gerrard, Adam, Henderson, and Shelvey available. Yes there were injuries to some of them, but at no point were there more than two of that four injured at the same time, so there was always a choice of two for the CM slot beside Lucas.

But while Lucas was out, none of the four named above were in anyway capable of filling the gap that Lucas left, and Spearing was nothing more than stop gap cover for Lucas.

As for Gago coming to Liverpool? I never for a moment thought he would despite him being nothing more than Real Madrid squad filler for the past two seasons b3efore his move to Valencia. No idea why you brought him up in a reply to me as I don't rate Gago at all and doubt if I have ever suggested him for Liverpool in my time on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

MD1990 wrote: »
    If Spearing was a foreigner he would be long gone from Liverpool
    we definetly need a new DM as well

We need a new DM for sure this season imo but Spearing can fill a gap when we need him to. He'll give his all and won't complain about being a bit part player. We can also use him for cup games. Makes no sense getting rid of him before we can afford a better replacement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ush wrote: »
    The cat is in the box.

but should he have gotten the sack?

but to be honest I feel for you guys as I remember the MON discussion being an endless one in the Villa thread and tbh no you shouldn't just let it go, if it gets brought up voice your opinion. However I'd hope it doesn't get brought up ad nauseum as it will detract from what I see as an improving Liverpool.

The appointment of Rodgers did seem an odd one to me at the time as honestly I had him in the same category as Lambert who Villa got in and after Villa's past few years despite Liverpool's own hardship I expected more. That said BR can certainly talk the talk afaic and does not come across as a short term solution which is very much so a positive imo.

Oddly i've actually got a feeling Aquaman will be playing in the Premierleague this season and although that could kick start a whole different revolving door conversation with minimal tweaking the Liverpool lineup does look like a decent one imo.

Reina
    Skrtel
    Agger
    Johnson
    Enrique
    Gerrard
    Lucas
    Aquilani
    Dempsey
    Suarez
    Borini

A lot of things I read in here confuse me though. Like when Rodgers says J.Cole may have a role to play at Liverpool this season and people go mad. It's not like it's easy to move on Cole considering his wage demands and current (at least percieved) ability. If BR knows this and thinks they wont be able to do so then why not publically talk up the player especially if that role might simply be one of rotation playing in the Europe, Carling Cup etc. It's not like he said Joe cole would be a starter next season or likened him to Messi in training. Rodgers seems to usually word things well to be fair to him and even the Caroll thing suggests this to me.

Very little was actually said from him about Selling Caroll iirc but I get the feeling Caroll is one of the few sell able assets he has at his disposal who would get him good money to play with and not take away too much from the team (wasn't always a starter before and now Borini is here). Caroll could def have a role to play for Liverpool and would be capable of filling the spot I earmarked above for Borini imo but who else could Rodgers get in with an extra 15-20m in hand. Okay that leaves me open for a response about Joe Allen but one would think despite Borini/Dempsey potentially arriving another forward would be needed if Caroll was to be sold and that the money being talked of for Dempsey/Allen/Whoever being talked of atm wouldn't be tied into any Caroll transaction.

Add Allen into the above formation allowing for Gerrard/Aqua (whichever is unfit that week) to be rotated and a 15-20m striker and Liverpool would be flying... things arent that easy though

So who can do a job for a sustained period that will cost little money and will come here happy to sit on the bench

i don't know, but i'd like better than Spearing. i'm not a scout, so i don't know what's about for cheap.

i take LL's point that he can cope if he has 2 other midfielders in front of him, but otherwise i just don't think he can cut it. but just because Adam and Gerrard also can't be trusted, doesn't mean Spearing can either.
    Spearing is fine, look back at the games last season and he rarely was the main reason we lost/drew games tbh.

he was A reason, not the main reason of course though...because he doesn't have the footballing ability to dictate anything from the centre of the park. as willing as he is.

he'll run and kick, but he'll rarely pass to a good enough standard to be a mainstay in there IMO.

hopefully Lucas has an injury free season though so this isn't an issue; so we don't have to play any of Gerrard/Adam, Spearing/Adam, Spearing/Gerrard, Henderson/Gerrard, Henderson/Spearing, Henderson/Adam etc...in any sort of 2-man midfield.

he should be our version of Darron Gibson when he played for Utd (in terms of pecking order); as shít an example as that might be, it's the only one i can think of now, even though Spearing is nothing like him, but obviously that's not the point :D

What I would be happy with is:

An Other CM/Lucas
    An Other CM/An Other DM

Henderson, Adam, Spearing can then fill in after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Just seen this on Allen thought some of you mightn't have seen it .

Steve Bateman‏@steviebateman

#LFC can only sign Allen if #Swans and a 3rd club agree a fee for him, or he's listed.

#LFC: BR's contract has clause preventing purchase of #Swans that aren't listed. Allen must hand in transfer request. He hasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Just seen this on Allen thought some of you mightn't have seen it .

#LFC can only sign Allen if #Swans and a 3rd club agree a fee for him, or he's listed.

#LFC: BR's contract has clause preventing purchase of #Swans that aren't listed. Allen must hand in transfer request. He hasn't.

explain the 3rd club part ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Leiva wrote: »
    Another club must have bid for him before you can bid for him . That's how i read it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Leiva wrote: »

Club a and club b agree a fee, Liverpool would then be able to offer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement