Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Aqualaini is not going to be a Liverpool player this season. Joe Cole wheezing it up in a central position? No way hombre.

So Lucas, SG, Allen and Spearing to get us through the season?

GOOD JOB, GOOD EFFORT.
    Lucas, Gerrard and Allen will be the three first choice central midfielders.

Henderson, Adam and Spearing will be the rotation/backup central midfielders.

Gerrard should not play as a central / holding midfielder for us - even as he gets older.
    He won't have to.

Allen - Lucas

Gerrard
    Dempsey
    Suarez
    Borini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Lads its pantomime...the crowd haven't had a "bad guy" since Ronaldo, now they have Suarez.

Let just hope Suarez reacts in the same way Ronaldo did.

Leave for Real Madrid? :pac:

All joking aside I can see him being hounded out eventually. Barcelona or Real Madrid are pretty attractive when consider the climate, culture, food and leaving behind the thousands of mongs booing and jeering you every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

When Gerrard isn't fit, you play Shelvey.

When Henderson isn't fit, you give Shelvey the minutes before Adam

Even if you sign Allen, I think there is plenty of game time there for him. Rather go to bat with Shelvey than spend £10m+ on a player who isn't good enough to play for a top four side. Shelvey may be good enough in a few years. Let's find out imo...

And if we ran with that, and Henderson proved to be as ineffective/unready for the role as last season and Shelvey also came up short in the role, would we not have people calling for Rodger's head or those of the owners for not bringing in first team players for the role?

Reading your post, it seems that you are suggesting that Gerrard should be the first team CAM when fit, and that Henderson should be the first team CM partner to Lucas when fit.

Personally I think that both Henderson and Shelvey are back up level players at present and not good enough to be starting 25 to 30 games a season let alone more than that.

Allen would not be in my top five in terms of who I would like to buy (for similar money or less that what is being quoted for Allen) for the slot beside Lucas, but he is a big upgrade on Henderson, he is a big upgrade on Spearing, and he is a big upgrade on Adam.

As for him not being good enough for a top 4 club, well we are not a top 4 club we just have ambitions of being one again, and Allen may well be good enough to help us reach that level and we can always upgrade again if we get there, or we could discover that Allen is indeed good enough for a top 4 club at that point.

Seems very odd to dismiss Allen as not being good enough for us based on your opinion that he is not a top 4 level player but yet you seem happy to go with Henderson and Shelvey who have performed to a much lower level in terms of performances.

If Allen is not good enough, and his skillset/level of ability is the benchmark you are using to decide what is an unacceptable level, then outside of Lucas and Gerrard all the rest of our cm and cam options are not good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Make me mad? Bringing in Allen is one thing, but bringing him in and letting a talented young guy breaking into the rotation go at the same time seems, well...pointless? Shelvey should stay at Liverpool and start 25 - 30 games this year imo.

Of this I have no doubt shelvey can be an immense talent and should under no circumstance be let out on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Of this I have no doubt shelvey can be an immense talent and should under no circumstance be let out in loan
    If his oppertunities to play at LFC are limited then we'll be effectively stifling his progress imo

A season long loan with a prem club did wonders for Wilshire & Sturridge, I don't see why it would be different for Shelvey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Goal scoring midfielders are very valuable and reasonably rare. Shelvey at such a young age has shown already a huge talent in this regard (more than any other midfielder we have).

I think he benefitted from his loan spell last year and may do again to another prem team but he may not be gaurnteed games. I think I'd prefer him to stay and work under the manager until Christmas and see how he's getting on then. If not playing too much then maybe a loan for the second half of the season might make sense.

PaulieC wrote: »
    If his oppertunities to play at LFC are limited then we'll be effectively stifling his progress imo

A season long loan with a prem club did wonders for Wilshire & Sturridge, I don't see why it would be different for Shelvey

We don't have the depth of Arsenal or Chelsea though. Shelvey is good enough to play a support role for Liverpool now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Brad Jones just rubbished reports of him leaving the club.

Not that thats major news or anything haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I like Brad Jones. He's not the worst backup tbh, had a decent game in the Cup Semi last year imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Lucas, Gerrard and Allen will be the three first choice central midfielders.

Henderson, Adam and Spearing will be the rotation/backup central midfielders.

That's the same number of midfielders as we had last year. This year we have an extra position to fill.
    We're just going to have to recall Shelvey from his loan if somebody other than Gerrard gets injured.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I can just imagine the meltdown in here (and my head) if the following happens:

18/08 starting lineup contains Carragher playing alongside Skrtel as Agger is injured (reports yesterday). Gerrard is in CB with Adam as Lucas is not deemed premier league fit yet, and Henderson on the right as we have not signed anyone else for there, with Joe Cole coming on late on as an impact sub as we chase the game being 1-0 down having given no service to Borini up front, and Suarez will still be in rest mode from the Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

I like Brad Jones. He's not the worst backup tbh, had a decent game in the Cup Semi last year imo.

Like him myself, he's been through a lot lately massive respect for him.

Come across as a nice guy, but he is an awful goalkeeper by premiership standards, hell he has looked a poor keeper by Championship and League One standards.

His career as a back up keeper, which has lasted a decade or so, is littered with clangers and anytime he did get a run in a first team he looked completely out of his depth.

At best he is back up for the back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I'm not against the signing of Joe Allen, but if Nuri Sahin joins Galatasaray or Arsenal for the same or less than we give Swansea, I'd be sorely tempted to repeatedly bang my head off the nearest brick wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

CL7 wrote: »
    We don't have the depth of Arsenal or Chelsea though. Shelvey is good enough to play a support role for Liverpool now.
    Fair point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Are you serious fine teams for their fans booing arre you for real what's the point in having a home game

If gets out of hand, at every game, on the one player; that's just something he has to accept is it? He'll be gone before long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

If we loan shelvey out to get allen in it might just send me over the edge :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

When discussing the midfield options can we please stop mentioning Spearing - it will help prevent me having a stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

5starpool wrote: »
    I can just imagine the meltdown in here (and my head) if the following happens:

18/08 starting lineup contains Carragher playing alongside Skrtel as Agger is injured (reports yesterday). Gerrard is in CB with Adam as Lucas is not deemed premier league fit yet, and Henderson on the right as we have not signed anyone else for there, with Joe Cole coming on late on as an impact sub as we chase the game being 1-0 down having given no service to Borini up front, and Suarez will still be in rest mode from the Olympics.

I think thats pretty accurate

Interesting talk on the Anfield Wrap this yer that its essential a cull of the wages to allow building to happen again, but with a focus on better players

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    Come across as a nice guy, but he is an awful goalkeeper by premiership standards, hell he has looked a poor keeper by Championship and League One standards.

His career as a back up keeper, which has lasted a decade or so, is littered with clangers and anytime he did get a run in a first team he looked completely out of his depth.

At best he is back up for the back up.

Agree with this 100% seems like a decent bloke but not good enough.

He was solid against everton, surely that should be expected from a keepr who cost 2 million. One of the ones we need to cut losses on (depending on wages he is on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Grayditch wrote: »
    If gets out of hand, at every game, on the one player; that's just something he has to accept is it? He'll be gone before long.

You are actually beating this drum then?

You want clubs punished if their fans boo a player of the club you support?

You need to get a tighter grip on reality, seriously, or actually attend a football match once in a while.

Did you come out with this guff when Beckham and his wife were being abused, I doubt it.

It's a fúcking stupid thing to suggest. Did you even think about what you were posting, or did you just post the bull for the laugh?

Punish clubs if their fans boo a player?

Fúck off please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Des wrote: »

You need to get a tighter grip on reality, seriously, or actually attend a football match once in a while.

Did you come out with this guff when Beckham and his wife were being abused, I doubt it.

It's a fúcking stupid thing to suggest. Did you even think about what you were posting, or did you just post the bull for the laugh?

Fúck off please.

Filled with the joys of life as usual I see Des .

Fúck off please.

tell us how you really feel des :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

So who the **** will we have to play in the middle then? :confused:

Please don't fret Lloyd. We have Jay of course.... :D

epSNZ.jpg

Fúck off please.

Dont think telling someone to **** off is really acceptable

The booing is moronic but acceptable by the standards the game has set and the general low brow media reporting that occurs. The same probably wouldnt happen in rugby etc.

It will be interesting how the fans react to Brave John Terry/Rio/Frimpong (undisputable that he made a anti sematic comment) this year.

As for Beckham and his Wife getting abuse, in my view this is wholly unacceptable and should be punished, same with Wegner peado comments etc.

Why cant the majority of football supporters support their team and not just hate others. It happens all the time with my mates

Liverpool fans "haha United lost" Utd fans "haha Liverpool lost" and so on. Iv mates who would almost prefer Liverpool to lose than United to win, its ridiculous

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Dont think telling someone to **** off is really acceptable

To clarify, I was not telling the poster to fúck off, I was saying fúck off to the idea.

It's a really stupid idea.

To clarify, I was not telling the poster to fúck off, I was saying fúck off to the idea.

It's a really stupid idea.

Fair enough

While the idea is ridiculous and also impossible to enforce (i can only imagine supporters booing their own players;)) the level of abuse and hate towards players by fans is unacceptable and is only fuelled by the gutter press

Its the mob mentality at its worst

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Fair enough

While the idea is ridiculous and also impossible to enforce (i can only imagine supporters booing their own players;)) the level of abuse and hate towards players by fans is unacceptable and is only fuelled by the gutter press

Its the mob mentality at its worst

It's part of the game.

I've abused an opposition player so much that it affected his game (winger who ended up playing "in the hole" he drifted in so much away from me), later that season he bought me a pint when we were talking about the incident.

love it ...

AzPYYmtCIAAqjff.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

redzerdrog wrote: »
    If we loan shelvey out to get allen in it might just send me over the edge :mad:

Why would improving our midfield options while allowing a young lad gain valuable game time and experience send you over the edge?:confused:

Leiva wrote: »
    love it ...

AzPYYmtCIAAqjff.jpg

Cringey tbh

Cringey tbh

..yea but you follow the UTD

It's part of the game.

I've abused an opposition player so much that it affected his game (winger who ended up playing "in the hole" he drifted in so much away from me), later that season he bought me a pint when we were talking about the incident.

Thats player to player which is another matter altogether

40,000 people signing about how your wife sleeps around or you arent the father of your baby is not acceptable

Why would improving our midfield options while allowing a young lad gain valuable game time and experience send you over the edge?:confused:

Because if rumours are true we will also be forking out 12m+ for the privelage of finding out if he Allen is any better than henderson which is far from certain, all the while loaning out the one player who has any way impressed lately and should be getting plenty of game time this year

It's part of the game.

Irish Kickball League story forum is that way ==>

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

If Allen does sign will it not be

Reina

Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique

Henderson, Lucas, Allen

Gerrard, Borini, Suarez

Cringey tbh

But not without a pinch of truth.

If some mud kicker of a player had done the same as Suarez, then I doubt if there would be the same interest in booing him and putting him off his game.

A high profile player, especially one who is a genuine threat to other teams, will almost always come in for more stick from the stands, if the match goers get any sort of ammo on him, than the meh level player.

I will be shocked if Gerrard plays more that 10% of his gametime this year in the attacking trio, prob more chance he would be playing in CM but I would imagine he will play the majority of games in AM.

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »

Reina

Henderson, Lucas, Allen

Gerrard, Borini, Suarez

That would be one shyte midfield in terms of being inventive though. I would see Lucas and Allen (assuming that he gets bought for the sake of this discussion) as the deeper pair with the third midfiuelder being the more attack minded one of the trio. Henderson is certainly not an attack minded midfielder and certainly not an imaginative or inventive one in his play. I would see Henderson as cover for one of the deeper CMs, with Gerrard and Shelvey being the main options for the AM spot should we not bring in a player for that role.

Gerrard in the wide forward slot presents problems simply because he has stuggled to get to the 25 games in all comps mark over the past few seasons and his injury record would suggest that no more than that should be expected from him. So if he is true to form, then we would have to go anything from half to two thirds of the season without a first choice wide forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

amiable wrote: »

Reina

Henderson, Lucas, Allen

Gerrard, Borini, Suarez

It's really hard to tell.
    Based on the way things are currently going and assuming the current batch of transfer speculation to be true, our options are going to be either that or else playing 4-3-2.
    We'll just have to trust in Brendan not to field a team with 10 players. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

If we buy Allen it should be;

Johnson====Skrtel===Agger=====Enrique
    ================================
    ========Lucas========Allen========
    ==============Gerrard=============
    New player======Borini======New player

The two new players for the wide positions is quite unlikely which is why I think letting go of Bellamy who would be perfect for em, would be madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Suarez will be even more pissed off than usual Bellamy!

Mr Alan wrote: »

The two new players for the wide positions is quite unlikely which is why I think letting go of Bellamy who would be perfect for em, would be madness.
    Uhh, Suarez?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Mr Alan wrote: »

Why are they playing on train tracks? ;)

It's part of the game.

Giving a fellow player stick to put him off his game isn't quite the same as some useless fat fűck in the stand (who often can barely make it from his armchair to the ground) screaming abuse at players is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

CL7 wrote: »
    Giving a fellow player stick to put him off his game isn't quite the same as some useless fat fűck in the stand (who often can barely make it from his armchair to the ground) screaming abuse at players is it?

Isn't that what Des was talking about? Must have misunderstood him.

@ Kess, what do you do for a living that allows you to watch so much football? You're a demi-God to me! Have you a magazine or some literature which I could subscribe to?

Kess73 wrote: »
    That would be one shyte midfield in terms of being inventive though. I would see Lucas and Allen (assuming that he gets bought for the sake of this discussion) as the deeper pair with the third midfiuelder being the more attack minded one of the trio. Henderson is certainly not an attack minded midfielder and certainly not an imaginative or inventive one in his play. I would see Henderson as cover for one of the deeper CMs, with Gerrard and Shelvey being the main options for the AM spot should we not bring in a player for that role.

Gerrard in the wide forward slot presents problems simply because he has stuggled to get to the 25 games in all comps mark over the past few seasons and his injury record would suggest that no more than that should be expected from him. So if he is true to form, then we would have to go anything from half to two thirds of the season without a first choice wide forward.
    To be fair it's simply from what would be available if Joe Allen does sign.
    I'm happy enough to see Gerrard play that far forward and interlinking with Suarez.
    There should be at least another 3 signings IMO before September not including Allen.
    I know Henderson isn't your favourite player.

Kingdom wrote: »
    Isn't that what Des was talking about? Must have misunderstood him.

@ Kess, what do you do for a living that allows you to watch so much football. You're a demi-God to me! Have you a magazine or some literature which I could subscribe to?

Kess is a part time pimp :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement