Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Leiva wrote: »
    explain the 3rd club part ????

once a n other club make an offer that is accepted by swansea then they are interested in selling and liverpool can join that chase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So who can do a job for a sustained period that will cost little money and will come here happy to sit on the bench? Spearing is fine, look back at the games last season and he rarely was the main reason we lost/drew games tbh.

I love this notion that we should have another Lucas in reserve. We don't even have anywhere near the right first 11 at present, and until we do talk of doubling up on quality in positions is mad Ted.

We need midfield help because Gerrard and Lucas are the only two players really up to scratch relative to our ambitions. But the guy we're signing needs to someone who can start week in, week out - not to cover 25 games that Lucas doesn't play. Sign that guy, get the front three finalised, think about Center half cover first and foremost - THEN look to upgrade on Spearing.

People are fixated on the wrong things imo.

That's good news if true. Like Rodgers, Allen isn't Liverpool standard. We should be looking elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If Swansea start dictating then they should be told to hang on to the player. ****ing Joe Allen for £15m+

AWESOME

Exactly. We are still a big name in European Football and someone like Allen should be told if he wants to join, kick up a fuss as we're not paying 15m for him.

Every other big team does this, and that's when they're signing big name players, look at Barca and the signing of Fabregas for example. We, on the other hand, are looking to sign a player who played one year in the PL for a newly promoted team. They can fuck off with their 15m.

I like Allen and I do think there is something special about him, but at that price I would rather leave him at Swansea tbh.

^
    Definately, a DM isn't needed. Spearing is fine as cover.

We should be looking at a play maker that can do attacking/defefensive duties as well as each other, ie an Alonso type.

I'd imagine that explains the Allen link. He's some way off being a Xabi though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Players watching the Red Sox game.

120719-042-lfc_boston_red_sox11.jpg

Most interesting thing - Lucas sitting with Aquilani, away from the rest. They should room together. Lucas could teach him a lot about how to get the fans back on his side, and they could end up playing together a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Amazed at the idea some of us being comfortable with the idea of Spearing playing maybe 15 games in a row if the worst happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

That's good news if true. Like Rodgers, Allen isn't Liverpool standard. We should be looking elsewhere.

I would have thought the powers that be at Liverpool would have learned their lesson regarding stand out players in a promoted team. You all know who I'm referring to there.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Players watching the Red Sox game.

120719-042-lfc_boston_red_sox11.jpg

Most interesting thing - Lucas sitting with Aquilani, away from the rest. They should room together. Lucas could teach him a lot about how to get the fans back on his side, and they could end up playing together a bit...

Shelvey(back right) is exactly how I look when I watch baseball :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

rarnes1 wrote: »
    ^
    Definately, a DM isn't needed. Spearing is fine as cover.

We should be looking at a play maker that can do attacking/defefensive duties as well as each other, ie an Alonso type.

I'd imagine that explains the Allen link. He's some way off being a Xabi though.

If we are getting in a more of an all rounder CM then I guess the DM is not needed.

But I'm stunned that after the mess that was our midfield last year that people are happy that Spearing would still be cover for Lucas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

SlickRic wrote: »
    he was A reason, not the main reason of course though...because he doesn't have the footballing ability to dictate anything from the centre of the park. as willing as he is.

he'll run and kick, but he'll rarely pass to a good enough standard to be a mainstay in there IMO.

hopefully Lucas has an injury free season though so this isn't an issue; so we don't have to play any of Gerrard/Adam, Spearing/Adam, Spearing/Gerrard, Henderson/Gerrard, Henderson/Spearing, Henderson/Adam etc...in any sort of 2-man midfield.

he should be our version of Darron Gibson when he played for Utd (in terms of pecking order); as shít an example as that might be, it's the only one i can think of now, even though Spearing is nothing like him, but obviously that's not the point :D

His job isn't and never has been to dictate play though, he's a DM. If we are relying on our second string DM to dicate play ahead of Gerrard, Adam, Shelvey, Henderson and Aquilani then we've far to worry about instead of Spearing.

Also considering we'll most likely be playing in a 3 man midfield having him with one other player isn't a huge worry.

mike65 wrote: »
    Amazed at the idea some of us being comfortable with the idea of Spearing playing maybe 15 games in a row if the worst happens.

I'm not fully comfortable with it, but I'm more comfortable with it than I am other things like:

- Charlie Adam seeing significant game time;
    - Borrini leading the line for extended periods;
    - Stewart Downing seeing significant game time;
    - Carragher / Coates seeing significant game time;
    - Not signing another attacker who walks into the first XI;
    - Not signing another central / attacking midfielder who walks into the first XI;
    - Not having players who can impact a game from the bench like Dirk Kuyt;

Spearing is far from our most pressing concern, that's the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I suppose if you are a new manager coming in to Liverpool and look at last season - the first issue was a lack of goals. This BR has tried to address with Boriini (Dempsey too if he arrives).

Second big issue was defensive midfield - this is resolving itself with the return to fitness of Lucas. However, his injury was pretty bad so may take a while to return to his old self. Therefore, cover for Lucas is still an issue.

Spearing is not PL standard, he isnt' a good passer and isn't that mobile to close players down. Maybe Aquilani will stay and play a role in that regard.

I think we still need another creative right winger. There is still a long way to go before the end of the transfer window but I think we are on track in terms of making changes especially if Dempsey signs soon.

His job isn't and never has been to dictate play though, he's a DM. If we are relying on our second string DM to dicate play ahead of Gerrard, Adam, Shelvey, Henderson and Aquilani then we've far to worry about instead of Spearing.

Also considering we'll most likely be playing in a 3 man midfield having him with one other player isn't a huge worry.

In any case, this whole conversation is kind of silly anyway. ANY outside hopes we have of CL qualification are predicated on Lucas returning to the fold, being at the same level as he was pre injury, and staying fit all the way through. If that doesn't happen we're doing nothing baby, no way jose.

• Advertisement

I'm not fully comfortable with it, but I'm more comfortable with it than I am other things like:

- Not signing another central / attacking midfielder who walks into the first XI;

I know you have said attacking, but I think If the bolded player turns out to be what Rarnes was talking about then the concerns over Spearing would be allayed somewhat.

I personally think we also need a left back but thats beside the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

XI;
    Not having players who can impact a game from the bench like Dirk Kuyt;
    your joking surely
    he scored 2 League goals last season hardley much of a loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

You're more comfortable with Spearing getting prolonged gametime than you are:
    - First choice centre-back for one of the best international teams in the world
    - Player who had excellent first season in Serie A and was part of Italy world cup squad

Right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

MD1990 wrote: »
    your joking surely
    he scored 2 League goals last season hardley much of a loss

He also scored the goal that got you past United in the Cup. Kuyt is/was a very useful squad player to have; you need those over the course of a season.

cson wrote: »
    He also scored the goal that got you past United in the Cup. Kuyt is/was a very useful squad player to have; you need those over the course of a season.
    he was 2 years ago
    last year he was terrible

• Advertisement

opr wrote: »
    Suso interview.

Opr

The scouse accent is priceless at times. Not quite as good as The Kaiser's yet though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

The saying ...

"You dont know what you have until its gone "

... is gonna ring true for certain people next season.

Kuyt was a great asset to have in the squad and his contribution will only be highlighted by his absence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

opr wrote: »
    Suso interview.

Opr

He talks about being sad of not making his debut last season - that was a problem because Kenny put so much weight on the two cup runs, he played a lot of experienced names in those games. That made it very hard for kids to get a start. We need to fix that this season. Next Gen, Carling Cup, FA Cup if the opponant warrants it. The likes of Suso, Ibe, Sterling, Wisdom, Morgan and Adorjan all need to break through, we need to keep them engaged and raise their profile for possible loans above League 2 level...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Leiva wrote: »
    The saying ...

"You dont know what you have until its gone "

... is gonna ring true for certain people next season.

Kuyt was a great asset to have in the squad and his contribution will only be highlighted by his absence.

kuyt should have been sold a couple of years ago when there were mooted 10 -12 million bids and replaced with a a younger version but alas sentimentality stood in the way of realism.

Dickerty wrote: »
    He talks about being sad of not making his debut last season - that was a problem because Kenny put so much weight on the two cup runs, he played a lot of experienced names in those games. That made it very hard for kids to get a start. We need to fix that this season. Next Gen, Carling Cup, FA Cup if the opponant warrants it. The likes of Suso, Ibe, Sterling, Wisdom, Morgan and Adorjan all need to break through, we need to keep them engaged and raise their profile for possible loans above League 2 level...
    we can't play them all
    Morgan struggled at Reserve team last year he is way off the 1st team
    Sterling,Suso, Ibe & wisdom deserve some gametime

I personally think we also need a left back but thats beside the point.

Could do with a better left back; better goalkeeper; whole better central midfield rotation sans Lucas; whole lot better wide players; better strikers sans Suarez...

The only position I feel really good about is right back.

Could do with a better left back; better goalkeeper; whole better central midfield rotation sans Lucas; whole lot better wide players; better strikers sans Suarez...

Dont forget manager :pac:

i think Enrique is an excellent LB
    he had a bad 2nd half to the season but Downing done him no favours in linking up with Enrique going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

How much money do you think we have to spend?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

he had a bad 2nd half to the season but Downing done him no favours in linking up with Enrique going forward

Nah. He proved to be merely decent over the course of the full season. But that's okay considering what was paid. The season he put in last year was nowhere near what Riise / Aurellio produced during the 2000's imo.

It's a shame we let Insua go. He turned out nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i gotta ask...why you really wanted Kenny kept so badly then?

considering he spent £100m and you're not comfortable with any position bar a position he didn't even buy for!

is it simply because you could see us getting a replacement the standard of Rodgers? i.e. one that you view as not good enough? or you really thought Kenny could do the job and you're just forgiving him for the purchases?

Nah. He proved to be merely decent over the course of the full season. But that's okay considering what was paid. The season he put in last year was nowhere near what Riise / Aurellio produced during the 2000's imo.

Yet another badly managed player/transfer to add to our outstanding repertoire over the last few years.

He was quite unfortunate to be thrown into the deep end and a combination of Hodgson and Purslow was the nail in the coffin. Muppets the pair of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Long time lurker here and I don't post very often but jesus christ your negative bullshit is becoming unbearable and it's dragging the entire thread down with you.

If you are really this distraught at the state of things you might need to reconsider your interest in Liverpool or Football in general.

"The voice of reason"; I really hope that's supposed to be ironic.

/Rant

K-9 wrote: »
    How much money do you think we have to spend?

Read the post you quoted again. I'm not assuming we have the money to solve all those problems and that's the ****ing point. With limited resources, getting rid of someone like Spearing would be utter stupidity.

However, **** it, let's go.

IF THIS IS ALL WE ARE GETTING TO SPEND THIS SUMMER THAN FSG AREN'T WHAT WE HOPED THEY WOULD BE

If they thought one round of net investment would do the job then they are deluded. Not enough investment; no solution regarding the Anfield issue; poor HR with respect to all levels of management. I think they haven't a clue if I'm honest.

Big Knox wrote: »
    Long time lurker here and I don't post very often but jesus christ your negative bullshit is becoming unbearable and it's dragging the entire thread down with you.

If you are really this distraught at the state of things you might need to reconsider your interest in Liverpool or Football in general.

/Rant

He has a point though. Outside of right back what position do we currently have two good, if not quality players capable of playing there? None would be my thinking.

SlickRic wrote: »
    i gotta ask...why you really wanted Kenny kept so badly then?

considering he spent £100m and you're not comfortable with any position bar a position he didn't even buy for!

is it simply because you could see us getting a replacement the standard of Rodgers? i.e. one that you view as not good enough? or you really thought Kenny could do the job and you're just forgiving him for the purchases?

Only replace a manager if you're bringing in an obvious upgrade ala Brian Kerr and Rafael Benitez. If Dalglish had gone for Benitez or Van Gaal I could have lived with it.

Aurelio :confused:
    he was injured all the time but he did have a great left foot
    not too many better LB's in the PL than Enrique
    Insua has done well at Sporting but he was poor for us

Big Knox wrote: »

/Rant

If you AREN'T distraught at the state of things YOU might need to reconsider things. I refuse to accept mediocrity because "THIS IS ANFIELD" is supposed to mean something that is a million times more than that.

Keep your heads in the ****ing sand.

Yes Aurelio, the dude who played 62 times between 2007 and 2009.

And selling Insua proved short sighted, we replaced him with ****ing Konchesky ffs. And he wasn't "poor". He was young and clearly just needed time to develop. As Henderson and Carroll now need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Better Goalkepper???? really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Big difference doing well in the third/fourth best team in Portugal and in well at the upper end in the PL. As for Lloyd claiming we need a better keeper, well thats just lunacy.

Yes Aurelio, the dude who played 62 times between 2007 and 2009.

And selling Insua proved short sighted, we replaced him with ****ing Konchesky ffs. And he wasn't "poor". He was young and clearly just needed time to develop. As Henderson and Carroll now need.
    a good few of Aurelio games were as a Left Winger
    Enrique is a better LB than Insua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Only replace a manager if you're bringing in an obvious upgrade ala Brian Kerr and Rafael Benitez. If Dalglish had gone for Benitez or Van Gaal I could have lived with it.

cheers for the clarification; i know you've probably answered it in various ways before.

i agree fwiw, i'm just choosing to be a little more optimistic.

I think next season a lot of people will be lose the rag with Enrique. He is good but some of his positional play is poor and his random shooting once he is 20 odd yards from the opposition goal drives me up the wall.

Perhaps Rodgers will have a word with him on keeping possession in the final third but the position does need upgrading.

Oh and Insua wasnt poor for us, he was dumped in at the deep end, and people with no patience jumped on him. He had a good few assists under his belt too.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Better Goalkepper???? really

Yes. Pepe Reina was league average at best last year. Really, really poor. Debated before, but when people think of Reina as a strength they are thinking about a version of Reina that hasn't existed for about two and a half years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Christ I can't wait for the season to start .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

What is your concern with the things I emboldened?

I think next season a lot of people will be lose the rag with Enrique. He is good but some of his positional play is poor and his random shooting once he is 20 odd yards from the opposition goal drives me up the wall.

Perhaps Rodgers will have a word with him on keeping possession in the final third but the position does need upgrading.

Oh and Insua wasnt poor for us, he was dumped in at the deep end, and people with no patience jumped on him. He had a good few assists under his belt too.
    but u could say the same about N'Gog as well though
    Insua is playing well in Portugal which isnt a strong league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I love this notion that we should have another Lucas in reserve. We don't even have anywhere near the right first 11 at present, and until we do talk of doubling up on quality in positions is mad Ted.

We need midfield help because Gerrard and Lucas are the only two players really up to scratch relative to our ambitions. But the guy we're signing needs to someone who can start week in, week out - not to cover 25 games that Lucas doesn't play. Sign that guy, get the front three finalised, think about Center half cover first and foremost - THEN look to upgrade on Spearing.

People are fixated on the wrong things imo.

We don't need another Lucas in reserve but if we bought a CM/DM that was good enough to go straight into the first team to play alongside Lucas that was also capable of doing what Lucas does should Lucas be out, then we had some kind of solidity in the centre.

Someone like Moussa Sissoko would be cheaper than Allen, but capable of the passing side of things and very good at the physical and defensive side of things.

Gary Medel would be cheaper than Allen by quite a bit and would pretty much be a Mascherano style player would a greater passing range. Loads of aggression and stamina as well.

Both of those players would be a step up on our current CM/DM options save for Lucas and either could prove to be a step up on Lucas as well.

Put a player like either of the above alongside Lucas and suddenly we have a centre that can go toe to toe with any team in the league in terms of a central midfield battle.

Gerrard and Aquilani could share the AM role between them over the course of a season should we not want to bring in a quality younger AM/CAM.

Henderson, Adam, Spearing and Shelvey could be the cover should one of the CM pairing need a rest because if one of Lucas or Medel/Sissoko is out the remaining player still packs plenty of steel for the middle of the park.

RayCon wrote: »
    Christ I can't wait for the season to start .....

Neither can I, the misguided optimism will disappear when we start losing football matches

OR

we'll start winning football matches and we can all have a good old laugh at sily old Lloyd while doing pelvic thrusts in celebration at our upturn in fortunes...:)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement