Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

THe problem is Kelly isn't that good of a right back either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

So he hasn't impressed you since he started playing for the first team? He hasn't played in the centre from what I can remember

Melion wrote: »
    So he hasn't impressed you since he started playing for the first team? He hasn't played in the centre from what I can remember

He's done well for his age and lack of experience but he's still a good bit off being a first choice right back I'd be happy with playing for the full season. I think he's another play who could benefit from a season loan. Although that doesn't leave us much cover at right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't care about his history in the same way that I don't care how good Pepe Reina was in 2008. His current level of performance is extremely concerning and he does not deserve to start games for us at present.

So past history means nothing to you then? hmmmmm.

tumblr_lqn8rviLI21qbmf8z.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Funnily enough, i seem to remember Reina giving Enrique a bollocking in every other game for a large part of last season. Reina was poor enough himself but Enrique hung him on a fair few occasions.

The sight of Enrique annoys me, when you see him with the ball you know something really stupid is going to happen.

gafferino wrote: »

I wish I could like this thousands upon thousands of times. Don't expect a response from LL though

He's done well for his age and lack of experience but he's still a good bit off being a first choice right back I'd be happy with playing for the full season. I think he's another play who could benefit from a season loan. Although that doesn't leave us much cover at right back.

So you want to loan Kelly and sell Agger?

for the first time I'm warming to Stewie......:o

Downing: Rodgers advice paid off

Stewart Downing has explained how taking Brendan Rodgers' advice paid instant dividends as he fired the winner in Liverpool's 1-0 victory over FC Gomel on Thursday night.

The winger cut inside from the right and drilled a left-foot shot home on 68 minutes to settle a tough contest in Belarus and secure a result that means the Reds have taken a big step towards the Europa League proper.

And afterwards Downing revealed how heeding the guidance of his new manager has already paid off.

The winger told Liverpoolfc.com in Gomel: "The ball fell to me and I thought about how the manager has been saying to come inside and get a shot off, so that's what I was looking to do. Luckily for me it went in. I was happy with the strike.

"It was a tough game, which is what we were expecting. They made it hard for us, but our patience paid off. We kept the ball, kept moving it and we got our reward with the goal.

"We were lucky at times, but our back four defended very well.

"They gave us a good test and fitness-wise it was good for us. A lot of the lads played their first 90 minutes, so it was a good test for us and probably something we needed with the season only two weeks away."

Downing operated on both the left and right flanks at the Central Stadion and insists he's happy to fill whichever position Rodgers sees fit.

"I'm not fussed, as long as I'm in the team," he stated. "That's the main thing. The competition for places is hot here and wherever the manager sees me playing, I'm happy to play there.

"I got the goal from the right, but if he wants me to play on the left I'm happy to do that as well."

Downing also reserved a word of praise for the Liverpool fans who braved the arduous journey to Gomel to show their support for the team.

He said: "It was brilliant to see them here. I was on about it with the lads - I can't believe how much support we get in the countries we go to.

"Credit to them for travelling all that way and we could hear them over their fans. I'm glad we got the victory for them."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he really is good enough though.

Johnson at LB and Kelly at RB just to give Enrique a kick up the hole would be fine with me.

don't forget Robinson is looking very good these days too. he can cover.

there's no reason for José to rest on any laurels.

• Advertisement

Carra: It was Brendan's night

Jamie Carragher admitted it was a proud night for him to make his 700th Liverpool appearance in the 1-0 victory over FC Gomel – but insisted it was more significant the team recorded a win in Brendan Rodgers' first competitive game in charge.

The defender led the Reds out in Belarus on his landmark night as Stewart Downing's late goal ensured it ended in success.

However, while delighted to have reached the milestone, Carragher was eager to stress Rodgers picking up a win in his first competitive game in charge was more important than his own personal accolade.

"Every game for Liverpool is a massive game - it doesn't matter where it is - and I'm delighted and proud to have played that many games for the club," he told Liverpoolfc.com at the Central Stadion.

"It was a nice night for me on that score, but it was more important because it was the manager's first game. That's more important than me playing 700 games.

"It's a big thing for a manager in his first game, especially playing in Europe. It's a big thing for Liverpool, great tradition, and it's great we got the victory for the manager more than anything.

"As I said, his first game was more important than my 700."

Liverpool were made to work hard for their win by a Gomel side 15 games into their season in the Belarusian top flight.

Carragher admitted the fact both teams were at different levels of fitness was a factor, but felt the workout did the Reds good as they gear up for the start of the Barclays Premier League season.

He said: "We're pleased with the victory. It was a tough game, as European away games always are. They're in the middle of a season and I think you could see that in the fitness levels - they were much better at times than us.

"With fitness levels, it doesn't matter who you're playing against, whatever level it is, if they're half-way through their season it's going to be tough.

'It wasn't about me'
    "Some of our lads were playing their first game. It was the first time I've played 90 minutes and it was the same for a few of us. It was a very tough game and you'd probably say they had the better of the game, to be fair.

"But that's what playing in Europe is about, getting the win and a vital away goal puts us in a strong position. We're delighted to come away with the victory."

Meanwhile, Carragher was keen to pay tribute to the Liverpool fans in attendance at the Central Stadion, some of whom had undertaken a mammoth journey from Merseyside to cheer on the Reds.

He said: "My dad normally comes (to games), but even he said it'd be a nightmare trying to get here and never made it.

"All credit to the lads and supporters who made it here. Going back will be tough as well, but there will be a few stories to tell, I'm sure!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭atilladehun

5starpool wrote: »
    I wish we would sign someone who isn't Allen or Dempsey. It's not that I don't think either of them couldn't bring something to the team, but they have already been discussed to death. We need something new to discuss in here, or else it's just going to be the same circular tail chasing that's been going on for weeks now until we get into the season proper.

I love it! Come on liverpool, sign someone crazy so we'll have something decent to talk about here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jaysus, he's not half bad though! Easily Premiership average, and defends very well. I'd have no qualms plugging him in there on a regular basis. Certainly Kelly >> Enrique since January anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Carra: It was Brendan's night

Jamie Carragher admitted it was a proud night for him to make his 700th Liverpool appearance in the 1-0 victory over FC Gomel – but insisted it was more significant the team recorded a win in Brendan Rodgers' first competitive game in charge.

The defender led the Reds out in Belarus on his landmark night as Stewart Downing's late goal ensured it ended in success.

However, while delighted to have reached the milestone, Carragher was eager to stress Rodgers picking up a win in his first competitive game in charge was more important than his own personal accolade.

"Every game for Liverpool is a massive game - it doesn't matter where it is - and I'm delighted and proud to have played that many games for the club," he told Liverpoolfc.com at the Central Stadion.

"It was a nice night for me on that score, but it was more important because it was the manager's first game. That's more important than me playing 700 games.

"It's a big thing for a manager in his first game, especially playing in Europe. It's a big thing for Liverpool, great tradition, and it's great we got the victory for the manager more than anything.

"As I said, his first game was more important than my 700."

Liverpool were made to work hard for their win by a Gomel side 15 games into their season in the Belarusian top flight.

Carragher admitted the fact both teams were at different levels of fitness was a factor, but felt the workout did the Reds good as they gear up for the start of the Barclays Premier League season.

He said: "We're pleased with the victory. It was a tough game, as European away games always are. They're in the middle of a season and I think you could see that in the fitness levels - they were much better at times than us.

"With fitness levels, it doesn't matter who you're playing against, whatever level it is, if they're half-way through their season it's going to be tough.

'It wasn't about me'
    "Some of our lads were playing their first game. It was the first time I've played 90 minutes and it was the same for a few of us. It was a very tough game and you'd probably say they had the better of the game, to be fair.

"But that's what playing in Europe is about, getting the win and a vital away goal puts us in a strong position. We're delighted to come away with the victory."

Meanwhile, Carragher was keen to pay tribute to the Liverpool fans in attendance at the Central Stadion, some of whom had undertaken a mammoth journey from Merseyside to cheer on the Reds.

He said: "My dad normally comes (to games), but even he said it'd be a nightmare trying to get here and never made it.

"All credit to the lads and supporters who made it here. Going back will be tough as well, but there will be a few stories to tell, I'm sure!"

His ban must be up, or maybe it only applies/applied to English grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I think Kelly has a mistake in him defensively but offers much more going forward than Ricky. The thing is having Johnno and Kelly on the pitch at the same time could be risky considering their track records with injury.

Jaysus, he's not half bad though! Easily Premiership average, and defends very well. I'd have no qualms plugging him in there on a regular basis. Certainly Kelly >> Enrique since January anyway...

Cannot argue with that. Kelly is very underrated by sections of the support imho.

• Advertisement

Kess73 wrote: »
    His ban must be up, or maybe it only applies/applied to English grounds.

really? what did he do?

I wish I could like this thousands upon thousands of times. Don't expect a response from LL though

HATE HATE HATE!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'd stick with Enrique for the time being.

He's our only senior natural left-back. Yes he was poor at times towards the end of last season, and yes he has looked completely off the pace in pre-season, but I don't see many viable alternatives. Johnson is more effective going forward at Right-back and I wouldn't want to stagnate that just yet. Robinson is another option, but it's too soon for me if we're talking starting XI. Hopefully he'll be phased in in the Carling Cup and Europa League and we can get a closer look at him at senior level.

People are forgetting Enrique's first few months at the club - we know the ability is there. I remember gushing praise about him to my Spanish mates, saying that Spain were crazy to be overlooking him. He was consistently one of the 3 best players on the pitch for his first few months and even rival fans were saying he was the best left-back in the league.

Hopefully with a bit of fitness he will return to that player. He'll never offer the attacking threat of a Cole or Evra, but we know he can be very solid in defence and excellent at retaining possession and not panicking under pressure, which will be important under Rodgers.

really? what did he do?

Ticket touting was what seems to have added to the ban. The FA had to bail him out as he was arrested selling tickets in Germany

But the original ban was for drunken behaviour inside a stadium whilst being out on bail.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Ticket touting was what seems to have added to the ban.

But the original ban was for drunken behaviour inside a stadium whilst being out on bail.

bloody nora

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I genuinely think Jack Robinson is the real deal and not far off being good enough for the first team.
    I've been very impressed with him and I think he can go on to replace Ashley Cole as England left back.

So you want to loan Kelly and sell Agger?

Wouldn't say I want to loan Kelly, but I think he would be far better off going on loan but we just don't have the cover to allow him to do that. Never said I wanted to sell Agger, I just wouldn't give him a new contract if it was over €100k.
    SlickRic wrote: »
    he really is good enough though.

Johnson at LB and Kelly at RB just to give Enrique a kick up the hole would be fine with me.

don't forget Robinson is looking very good these days too. he can cover.

there's no reason for José to rest on any laurels.

What if that kick up the hole doesn't work and Kelly does poorly?

I think Enrique on his current form is premiership average though. I think Kelly gets caught out to often. He's been lucky his mistakes haven't lead to goal which help gloss over it.

bloody nora

Has popped up at a press conference or two down the years as well, and directly commented to the media. Which did not go down well at the club afaik.

What if that kick up the hole doesn't work and Kelly does poorly?

what if we keep Enrique where he is and he continues to play shít?

i'm just offering my support to a possible alternative that might give Enrique the competition for his place that he needs to get back to his best again.

i also think you're undervaluing Kelly, but that's your call.

I think Enrique on his current form is premiership average though. I think Kelly gets caught out to often. He's been lucky his mistakes haven't lead to goal which help gloss over it.

So you believe that Enrique has been superior to Kelly since January? :D I wonder what the world looks like through your eyes.

We have five fullbacks, and need two on the pitch at any one time. Enrique doesn't deserve to be one of them right now.

amiable wrote: »
    I genuinely think Jack Robinson is the real deal and not far off being good enough for the first team.
    I've been very impressed with him and I think he can go on to replace Ashley Cole as England left back.

I reckon he is at least a year or two off being ready tbh. Plenty of talent and potential, but nowhere near ready for a sustained run in the first team. I would think that if he was thrown in at the deep end, his career could suffer like that of another talented young left back that we threw in at the deep end without support.

I think that being thrown in so young is more forgiving when it is an attacking player rather than a young defender tbh as teething problems are generally less costly in an attacking position.

SlickRic wrote: »
    what if we keep Enrique where he is and he continues to play shít?

i'm just offering my support to a possible alternative that might give Enrique the competition for his place that he needs to get back to his best again.

i also think you're undervaluing Kelly, but that's your call.

I think Enrique deserves to show what he can do under Rodgers. I wouldn't consider 1 EL game as sufficient evidence to drop him either. Happy enough to give him a chance at the start of this season. Kelly is a great second choice right back, not good enough to play 30+ games a season for us. I think that's a fair value for him.

So you believe that Enrique has been superior to Kelly since January? :D I wonder what the world looks like through your eyes.

We have five fullbacks, and need two on the pitch at any one time. Enrique doesn't deserve to be one of them right now.

Kelly has played very little since January though so it's hard to compare. I honestly don't think Enrique has been that bad, he's made so terrible mistakes which have cost us a lot and I think that stands out in peoples minds so they paint him as having been terrible. I just think people expecting Kelly to play and be flawless are living in the clouds. Chances are Kelly will come out, make some mistakes and cost us goals an then people like yourself will be on his back to be dropped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Does anyone see Coates getting a run in the team this year? If Skrtel or Agger jump ship could we rely on him to fill the void and crack in a few more bicycle kicks?

Is there potential within the next 2-5 years that himself and Kelly could form a centre-defensive partnership?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I love it! Come on liverpool, sign someone crazy so we'll have something decent to talk about here.

Essentially, although unexpected rather than crazy is what I'm after. I don't want us to re-sign El Hadj Diouf for example, and would possibly boycott the club entirely were that to happen, but to sign or be seriously linked with (not via goal.com) the player whose signing would excite us as we were told weeks ago. I fear this may have been a misinterpretation of words though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Does anyone see Coates getting a run in the team this year? If Skrtel or Agger jump ship could we rely on him to fill the void and crack in a few more bicycle kicks?

Is there potential within the next 2-5 years that himself and Kelly could form a centre-defensive partnership?

I'd like if we played him a bit more, see what he can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Richard Buxton ‏@Richard_Buxton_
    Alberto Aquilani's stay at #LFC is over. Midfielder has today joined Fiorentina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

http://t.co/5HcEk9jf
    Fiorentina president confirms Aquilani deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

5starpool wrote: »
    I wish we would sign someone who isn't Allen or Dempsey. It's not that I don't think either of them couldn't bring something to the team, but they have already been discussed to death. We need something new to discuss in here, or else it's just going to be the same circular tail chasing that's been going on for weeks now until we get into the season proper.

I'm feeling like this as well.

Would love something to come out of left field, something with a bit of imagination.

We need to buy 5 players in my opinion and I hope its sooner rather than later...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Sappy404 wrote: »

Ooohhhh where will we spend the £4m?

In all seriousness though thank god we appear to have seen the back of this sorry affair.

While the guy appears to have talent, mind you not half as much as some people claim he has from limited viewings, but this story raising its head every summer has done us no favours.

Despite his agent's protestations the guy didn't want to be in England so don't let the door hit you on the way out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Now let's wait a couple of hours before we find out it's a loan deal with an option to buy at the end of the season for €2m paid in 500 installments over 20 years.

I'm feeling like this as well.

Would love something to come out of left field, something with a bit of imagination.

We need to buy 5 players in my opinion and I hope its sooner rather than later...

Five including Borini or excluding him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

At fuggin' last.

A truly vile player.

A truly vile player.

ummm, no.

i can only assume you don't know what vile means...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

At fuggin' last.

A truly vile player.

Ahh that's ott

• Advertisement

At fuggin' last.

A truly vile player.

If Aquilani rates as Vile where does Cole come on your scale, or for that matter what word would describe the likes of Diouf when we had him?

Vudgie wrote: »
    Ooohhhh where will we spend the £4m?
    Fiorentina are paying €4 million, not £4 million.

Also, we have to pay half his wages for the next 2 years (€3.4 million).

So net, we have €600,000 to spend from getting rid of Aquilani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

At fuggin' last.

A truly vile player.

Unfair.

Excellent. Enough to pay Joe Cole for 5 to 6 weeks. ;)

Ok where is this info coming from ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Now let's wait a couple of hours before we find out it's a loan deal with an option to buy at the end of the season for €2m paid in 500 installments over 20 years.

With an additional 20% wages paid by Liverpool if it's a full moon on his birthday, and 60 Aqua-points deducted from his bonus fee if he plays on any Groundhog Day on which Punxsutawney Phil appears.

• Advertisement

How can you pay half of someone's wage that you don't employ ?

I call bullshït .

Nothing at all on the Fiorentina club site, and nothing with those details in the mainstream Italian media as of yet.

EDIT: The closest I can find is one outlet that is reporting that Liverpool will have to pay out half of his remaining contract (which comes to the 3.4 m you mentioned) as the player did not hand in a transfer request and that the transfer fee is 7.4 million which leaves 4 million left over after paying out on the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

If those figures are correct of €3.4m per year. That means Aquilani earns £50k a week? Has he taken a massive pay cut to move or was that his Liverpool wage?

Edit - Ah I see those figures haven't been confirmed.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Remember lads the loss on Aqua is not really on FSG.

Hicks & Gillet bought him so this 'loss' should have only a positive impact on transfer budget.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement