Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Leiva wrote: »
    How can you pay half of someone's wage that you don't employ ?

I call bullshït .
    We're paying him off to leave or greasing the wheels by accommodating Fiorentina being able to sign him.

If true, it's clearly a problem somebody at the club has with him, rather than a problem he has with the club. If he was the one forcing the move we wouldn't be paying him off.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was one of the 'heart and soul of Liverpool' players. One name comes to mind above others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Kess73 wrote: »
    Five including Borini or excluding him?

Excluding him.

My shopping list, in no particular order, would be:

1 x FW/RWF
    1 x LWF
    1 x CM/AM
    1 x CM/DM
    1 x LB

This is all dependant on us keeping what we have. I mean if Carroll goes we need would then need 6 players.

Our strongest team at the moment imo is:

Reina

johnson -- skrtel -- agger -- enrique

lucas -- adam

Gerrard

Suarez
    Borini
    Bellamy

That's an OK team, but Bellamy and Gerrard are risky due to their injury record. We need competition, not back up, competition for these positions. Shelvey and Sterling could fill in here but I feel we could fall into the trap of dropping inexperienced players in to a team that is already struggling. We could see people lose patience with young players as what happened with Insua.

Adam should not be starting and Enrique is another risk, he could improve, I have highlight him before as being a weak link and it is another position that needs proper competition. Riise once said that because there was no threat to his position he sat on his laurels, again, I would rather not us make a similar mistake.

If we do get Allen I think he will work well with and in place of Lucas and I guess he would be an OK purchase. Like I said before, unimaginative but I think Rodgers wants to get in some players he has worked with before so his job will be a bit easier. Its why he went for Sigardson and Borini.

Downing can play as back up on the RWF position but I think we need a player who could play there and cover Borini as well.

If we can improve those positions I'd be a lot more confident about next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

murpho999 wrote: »
    Remember lads the loss on Aqua is not really on FSG.

Hicks & Gillet bought him so this 'loss' should have only a positive impact on transfer budget.

Still no excuse for bad business . It's not as if the player has no ability.
    He is actually a decent footballer and that should be reflected in the price . No matter who is the owner at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

At fuggin' last.

A truly vile player.

Utterly ridiculous comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sappy404 wrote: »
    We're paying him off to leave or greasing the wheels by accommodating Fiorentina being able to sign him.

If true, it's clearly a problem somebody at the club has with him, rather than a problem he has with the club. If he was the one forcing the move we wouldn't be paying him off.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was one of the 'heart and soul of Liverpool' players. One name comes to mind above others.

So you deduct from a rumour that Steven Gerrard has driven Aquilani out of the club!

You're watching to many conspiracy programmes on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

opr wrote: »
    If those figures are correct of €3.4m per year. That means Aquilani earns £50k a week? Has he taken a massive pay cut to move or was that his Liverpool wage?

Edit - Ah I see those figures haven't been confirmed.

Opr

€60 -€65k has always been the figure used for his wages when the likes of Juve and Milan mentioned his Liverpool wages on their official sites, and it is the wage band that Roma put up on their official site when they sold him to us.

The stupid £100k and £125k figures are just being banded about by the likes of Bascombe and other such shyte stirrers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Remember lads the loss on Aqua is not really on FSG.

Hicks & Gillet bought him so this 'loss' should have only a positive impact on transfer budget.

H&G only paid 5m upfront with the rest staggered across the years. So FSG will have paid a portion of the transfer fee. Roma also get a % of the transfer fee :pac:

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »

Your showing your age Mike :P

€60 -€65k has always been the figure used for his wages when the likes of Juve and Milan mentioned his Liverpool wages on their official sites, and it is the wage band that Roma put up on their official site when they sold him to us.

The stupid £100k and £125k figures are just being banded about by the likes of Bascombe and other such shyte stirrers.

I know the Bascombe figures were way way off I just thought it would have been a good bit higher than £50k. Makes us not keeping him around all the stranger.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

H&G only paid 5m upfront with the rest staggered across the years. So FSG will have paid a portion of the transfer fee. Roma also get a % of the transfer fee :pac:

Opr

Damn....you're right...details coming back to me now.

They'll have to chalk this one down to experience.

After today I hope we don't here anymore of Aquilani on this thread.

My biggest fear is if we don't take WHU offer (£20mil) for Carroll then we could be in a similar situation with money depreciation in a couple of season if Carroll doesn't reach his potential.

I know the Bascombe figures were way way off I just thought it would have been a good bit higher than £50k. Makes us not keeping him around all the stranger.

Opr

Well I guess if the club does not want the player around and/or if the player does not want to be around, then any wage is too much to be paying out with no on pitch return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

How can you pay half of someone's wage that you don't employ ?

I call bullshït .
    Roma are a publicly listed company and are obliged to file with the Italian stock exchange the terms and conditions associated with player transactions.

If Aquilani rates as Vile where does Cole come on your scale, or for that matter what word would describe the likes of Diouf when we had him?
    Joe Cole never faked an injury to get out of playing for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Your showing your age Mike :P

Next Tuesday, when the binman comes, alright? :pac:

Now, more seriously word on the street says the deal for Allen is done, no actual details yet. Will Shelvey go in the other direction on loan? Hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

why does Aquilani escape criticism on here unlike Joe Cole
    he was terrible for us & obviously never really wanted to leave Italy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

And when did Aquilani do that? Are you the clubs physio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't see how Aquilani deserves any abuse for this cluster****.

If we continue to conduct ourselves like complete morons in the transfer market then we deserve every **** deal that is inflicted on us.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »

No, he wasn't terrible. I can never remember him having a poor game. Can you?

We don't know that Aquilani did either. We just have plenty of internet comments as supposed proof.

Melion wrote: »
    most of his games for us in 09/10 he was very poor the ones he was fit for
    we would have kept him if he wasn't poor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he doesn't.

he just wasn't "vile".

he was bought, not used, and then there was huge upheaval all over the place. he never had a great affection for the club, and he's been an expensive waste of time in the end.

but he's not vile. in a lot of ways he was a victim of circumstance. that's not abstaining him from responsibility in the slightest, but i would never have huge ill-will towards him personally. i hold far more ill-will to the situation rather than him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I remember flashes of brilliance and the preseason form he showed last year was the best in the squad I thought.

Overall, I am glad the sorry mess that was the singing of Aquilani is over. I do not really blame the player, the whole deal was a clusterfúck - the club have to take the brunt of the criticism.

Best of luck to him.

The clubs physio couldn't find anything wrong with him, which led Benitez to question is injury in public.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/03/alberto-aquilani-liverpool-mental-physical
    Benítez admits he is at a loss as to when the 25-year-old will be fit but indicated that a history of injury problems is affecting Aquilani."He was complaining of pain in his ankle and said he couldn't train," the Liverpool manager said. "We will have to talk with the doctors to see what's going on because at the moment we don't know."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Wasn't that his first season?

He was pretty impressive in the cameos he made that season. The frustrations were due to how long it took for him to get fit & Rafa's reluctance to use him once he was fit.
    The clubs physio couldn't find anything wrong with him, which led Benitez to question is injury in public.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/03/alberto-aquilani-liverpool-mental-physical

That's your proof he faked injury & refused to play? Do you not have the ability to read because that's not what that article says at all? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Morzadec wrote: »
    Even considering Reina's position is crazy talk.

There's far more pressing issues that need to be addressed.

Reina wasn't even that bad last season. A couple of clangers but he had plenty of decent games, it's not like he was costing us goals week in week out.

I still believe him to be a top class goalkeeper and one of our key first team players.

Serious question: even at the very peak of their powers, were the likes of Neil Sullivan or Alan Kelly ever good enough to play for Liverpool? I am aware that Pepe Reina wasn't throwing them in every week last season, but he sure wasn't making many top saves.

In the same way that it is a mistake to fixate on the couple of clangers that even the very best goalkeepers are culpable of over the course of a season, it is a mistake to think a keeper is playing really well just because he isn't making huge errors regularly. Reina WAS tip top because he prevented a large number of goals every year that an average keeper couldn't get to.

Last year he wasn't making those saves, and was letting things like the Cup final opener in on a regular enough basis.

He needs to step up.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I remember flashes of brilliance and the preseason form he showed last year was the best in the squad I thought.

Overall, I am glad the sorry mess that was the singing of Aquilani is over. I do not really blame the player, the whole deal was a clusterfúck - the club have to take the brunt of the criticism.

Best of luck to him.
    Voronin was great in Pre-season too
    we all know how sh1t he was

We don't know that Aquilani did either. We just have plenty of internet comments as supposed proof.
    We do know there were problems with supposed injuries. Again, I will report.

Benítez admits he is at a loss as to when the 25-year-old will be fit but indicated that a history of injury problems is affecting Aquilani."He was complaining of pain in his ankle and said he couldn't train," the Liverpool manager said. "We will have to talk with the doctors to see what's going on because at the moment we don't know."
    Benitez was no fool, he wouldn't have contradicted his player in public unless he was pretty certain that he was faking an injury.

Now I'm not usually someone that will call bull**** but BULLSHÍT. His first league start for the club resulted in him being substituted to a standing ovation. He got a few man of the match awards that season including the europa match against Atletico.
    Maybe it's because he was playing under a manager who actually knew how to use a player of his ability.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's because he was playing under a manager who actually knew how to use a player of his ability.
    So Benitez, Hodgson, Kenny and Rodgers are all wrong, and Aquilani is right?

Now I'm not usually someone that will call bull**** but BULLSHÍT. His first league start for the club resulted in him being substituted to a standing ovation. He got a few man of the match awards that season including the europa match against Atletico.
    yes he had some games
    but he was poor as well & had a poor assist & goal return for a AM where he usually played
    there would be no point in keeping him & Gerrard as both get injured alot

So Benitez, Hodgson, Kenny and Rodgers are all wrong, and Aquilani is right?

Rafa signed him, played him and got good performances from him.
    A player who likes passing the ball never stood a chance with Hodgson.
    Kenny preferred Charlie Adam, that says more than I need to.

He would have been perfect under BR, I have no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I don't think Rafa really rated him either. I remember matches towards the end if his tenure and no-one could understand why he wasn't playing.

I am just glad he's gone, best for everyone.

We do know there were problems with supposed injuries. Again, I will report.

Benitez was no fool, he wouldn't have contradicted his player in public unless he was pretty certain that he was faking an injury.

That Rafa comment comfirms nothing. Rafa says he will have to consult the doctors to try and find out what is going on, because at that point nobody is sure what is wrong.

That is hardly coming out and saying that the player is faking injuries and it takes a pretty imaginative bit of reading between the lines to try and present what Rafa said as actual proof that the player was faking.

Aquilani has proven to be a terrible bit of business by the club and a hell of a lot of wasted money that could have gone towards bringing in one or two players, but the club is responsible for the lion share of what happened and should have tried to either sell the player or play the player rather than waste two whole seasons with stupid loan moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Rafa didnt fancy Aquilani at all, it was a very strange situation.

yes he had some games
    but he was poor as well & had a poor assist & goal return for a AM where he usually played

Really? Just shows you have paid very little attention to the player and just gone by internet talk.

A very poor assist and goal return. Guess what player got the highest amount of assists for Liverpool in the 2009/10 season? Yep Aquilani despite not playing a lot of games.

Rafa didn't fancy him? How do people jump to that conclusion? None of us know how Rafa felt about him so stop pretending you do

Good source on RAWK says the Allen deal is done.

Opr

yes he had some games

He got more assists in one game against Burnley (3) than Downing managed the whole of last season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

So you deduct from a rumour that Steven Gerrard has driven Aquilani out of the club!

You're watching to many conspiracy programmes on TV.

I said if true above. Did you miss that? If we're paying him off, it's fair to say the club want rid, as opposed to him wanting to go back to Italy as was believed for a long time. It's possible they simply don't think he's worth the wages, but considering the rumour says we're paying for them in part anyway, I don't think that's the whole story.

Of course if the rumour is not true, and it turns out he took a pay cut to go to Fiorentina or handed in a transfer request, then obviously I won't believe any of the above to be the case.

And Steven Gerrard isn't the name I had in mind.

Really? Just shows you have paid very little attention to the player and just gone by internet talk.

A very poor assist and goal return. Guess what player got the highest amount of assists in the 2009/10 season? Yep Aquilani despite not playing a lot of games.
    how many did he get?
    i did miss quite alot of games during that season so he must have played well in those games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Opr

Please don't be £15m

fingers-crossed.jpg

how many did he get?
    i did miss quite alot of games during that season so he must have played well in those games?

How can you say he was poor if you missed quite a lot of games?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Rafa didn't fancy him? How do people jump to that conclusion? None of us know how Rafa felt about him so stop pretending you do

Nobody is. It's clear as hell, he was fit & was over-looked several times. That's how I have formed my opinion on it & it seems numerous others have done the same

How can you say he was poor if you missed quite a lot of games?
    the games i saw he wasn't great
    i remember he was very good against Portsmouth
    so i prosumed he wasn't great in alot of the other games too since he wasn't kept for the 10/11 but seems i was wrong

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Please don't be £15m

Put an acceptable price on the transfer, so I know what point not to engage if we have been buggered again .:P

Nobody is. It's clear as hell, he was fit & was over-looked several times. That's how I have formed my opinion on it & it seems numerous others have done the same

No it seems that numerous others are regurgitating rubbish they read online. His first start in the league came on December 26th, he got 18 league appearances that season, 26 appearances in all comps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Opr

Macca from rumours site says it could be done over the weekend

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Please don't be £15m

It's going to be close to £15m but his wages are reportedly only going to be around £40k.

Opr

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement