Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Sappy404 wrote: »
    We did buy him from his home-town club, bring him to a foreign country where he didn't speak the language and all when we hadn't won anything in 3 years. We had to do something to tempt him.

Although in those three years we played in our second CL final in three years, had just finished runners-up in the PL and were qualifying for the CL year in-year out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not a hope of that. The £100k to £125k figure has just been latched onto in a big way by British journos of late.

If Aquilani signed a contract of that size back in the summer of 2009 he would have been the second highest player at the club, and p[ossibly the highest if Bascombe's BS gets swallowed by folk.

People seem to forget that Torres got a new contract that summer of £110k a week that was announced as the second highest deal in the club's history up to hat summer with Gerrard on more.

Do people really think that Aquilani joined the club on a basic wage that put him in as potentially the highest paid player at the club?

It is nowt more than journo bs, just like when a few of the usual journo names tried to make out that Glen Johnson was on £140k a week when they needed something to use to bash Johnson with.

Agree with all of this until the last paragraph. I think Johnson is on circa 120k since last summer when his contract got renewed.

Apologies if you were referring to when Johnson first signed, as there would be no way he was on that amount when joining from Portsmouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The power a journalist can wield by virtue of being employed by a national newspaper is frightening tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Knex. wrote: »
    Plus, regardless of how he performed in 09/10, and I think he did quite well until he ran out of steam towards the end, it was invaluable experience for him.

He always looked like a good threat going forward and had a great cross on him. You mentioned earlier that he marked high on the assists that year, and if memory serves me correctly, it was 6 in the league. That's fantastic for a young left back.

It's been mentioned that we still own 50% of him, hopefully that means we may see him at the club in the future. Although, I agree with amiable, I think Jack Robinson looks like the real deal and I wouldn't want to hinder his progress.

His performances last season in the ressies were quite mixed, and although I think the lad will become a good player I just don't think he is quite ready for the jump to the first team other than for the odd game here and there.

I would be saying otherwise if he was standing head and shoulders above anyone else at reserve level, but he was not doing so on a regular basis. Kelly for example used to stand out in the ressies a few years back and looked a level above many of his teammates on a regular basis, I just don't see that level of advancement from Robinson just yet.

I think if Enrique got injured in the first week of September that we would be throwing Robinson in far too early if he was used as the 2nd choice left back. Who might have made for interesting cover/competition for Enrique this summer was Taye Taiwo, who has just gone to Russia on loan.

Fast, strong, aggressive, and was available on loan.

I would then have made Robinson the number three left back and also used him for league cup games and maybe a few Europa league games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Agree with all of this until the last paragraph. I think Johnson is on circa 120k since last summer when his contract got renewed.

Apologies if you were referring to when Johnson first signed, as there would be no way he was on that amount when joining from Portsmouth.

We had to compete with Chelsea to get him though. £120k is probably a bit too high to be believed but I wouldn't be surprised if he's on close to £90k or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Some interesting stuff from Rory Smith. Eduardo Macia who recommended Aqua to Rafa is with the club that just signed him.
    Rory Smith ‏@RorySmithTimes
    Right, so @Kristian_Walsh points out that Eduardo Macia, who signed Aquilani for #LFC, is now at Fiorentina.
    @philmcnulty @kristian_walsh There were two schools of thought at Liv. Macia swore on Aquilani. Others less sure. Rafa went with Macia.
    @philmcnulty @kristian_walsh But don't think either of us are trying to absolve anyone of blame: Rafa took Macia's advice and paid for it.
    @Kristian_Walsh @philmcnulty That only emerged later. Not sure if it was wisdom after the event.There was a domestic option,too. Forget who.
    ...Macia *recommended* Aquilani to Benitez. Others around Rafa said no. Rafa weighed it up and went with Macia...
    ...Not trying to absolve anyone of anything. Definitely the case that Macia pushed for Aquilani, though. That's all I was saying.

Macia was our head scout at the time.

Opr

The Johnson on £140k press bs was around before last summer. I also doubt that he is on £120k a week at present and that the £120k figure is a media fabrication as well.

If I had to guess I would say that he is earning 40k to 50k less than that a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

opr wrote: »
    Some interesting stuff from Rory Smith. Eduardo Macia who recommended Aqua to Rafa is with the club that just signed him.

Macia was our head scout at the time.

Opr

I was following that and it made for interesting reading. He also posted this:
    Stories like that and more available from all good bookshops, September 13.

Is he actually releasing a book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Im actually way off on what his earnings cost the club per each of his 28 games. Read it as 5m for his time with Liverpool. But 3 years stay, if its reported he cost that (15m), amounts to well over 500k per each appearance:eek: Find it hard to believe them figures are true. Sure Milan and Juve must have payed at least 60% of his wage while on loan..?

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The power a journalist can wield by virtue of being employed by a national newspaper is frightening tbh.

They don't even have to be with a national newspaper to get their "facts" digested by millions anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Rodgers just posted this on the official website:
    Dear Supporter,

I want to say a sincere thank-you for making the effort to come to Gomel last night to support us in our first competitive match of the season.

The players and I are fully aware of the trials and tribulations surrounding travel for games; in particular, the costs, the necessity for visas and the transportation issues involved with this trip, so we wanted to let you know that your efforts are greatly appreciated.

It was a privilege to acknowledge your support on the evening at the ground, as we did following the full-time whistle, but I wanted to reiterate our thanks with this brief message.

It was a special night for me personally and it was great to see you in the stadium and in great voice; you made me proud and you made the players proud. You are an integral part of this team.

Both last night in Belarus and on the club's tour to North America, I am continually humbled by the passion and commitment you show in supporting the team. We will never take you for granted.

I look forward to seeing and hearing you across the continent and at home as we progress through this competition.

Thank you again.

You'll Never Walk Alone

Brendan

Kess73 wrote: »
    His performances last season in the ressies were quite mixed, and although I think the lad will become a good player I just don't think he is quite ready for the jump to the first team other than for the odd game here and there.

I would be saying otherwise if he was standing head and shoulders above anyone else at reserve level, but he was not doing so on a regular basis. Kelly for example used to stand out in the ressies a few years back and looked a level above many of his teammates on a regular basis, I just don't see that level of advancement from Robinson just yet.

I think if Enrique got injured in the first week of September that we would be throwing Robinson in far too early if he was used as the 2nd choice left back. Who might have made for interesting cover/competition for Enrique this summer was Taye Taiwo, who has just gone to Russia on loan.

Fast, strong, aggressive, and was available on loan.

I would then have made Robinson the number three left back and also used him for league cup games and maybe a few Europa league games.

Yeah I agree. I imagine Johnson will be played LB before Robinson. It was more a case of me thinking down the line and whether or not singing another young LB would hinder Robinson in that regard.

I definitely wouldn't be comfortable with him playing anymore than five or six games this season tbh.

Was he not injured a fair bit last season, or am I confusing it with a different year?

As for Taiwo, I always liked him when I saw him play for Marseille and Nigeria actually. What happened to him at AC by the way? Seemed like his career almost died a death there last season until his loan to QPR.

Is he actually releasing a book?

Na just him joking I think.
    Dan Kennett ‏@DanKennett So @rorysmithtimes says AA signed on recommendation from Macia. Anyone know who Macia signed for #lfc before that to earn such trust?
    Srijandeep Das ‏@jeremy_LFC @DanKennett Fernando Torres.

Haha, fair enough :pac:

Opr

That letter from Rodgers btw is in response to a thread kicking off on RAWK that the team walking straight off the pitch at full time last night without acknowledging the fans. Lots of people who made the long trip very unhappy.

Edit - Obviously not directly but it does seem awful coincidental.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

That letter from Rodgers btw is in response to a thread kicking off on RAWK that the team walking straight off the pitch at full time last night without acknowledging the fans. Lots of people who made the long trip very unhappy.

Edit - Obviously not directly but it does seem awful coincidental.

Opr

Someone must have had a word with them after because Downing and Carragher were both praising the fans that travelled in their interviews too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

way too much rhetoric coming from the club and feck all action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if it's not in response to that, then it's puke-inducing pandering to us by Rodgers for no real reason other than to kiss arse.

Leiva wrote: »

Although I get where you're coming from, especially with regards to Rodgers, I think that in this scenario he was right to release that letter.
    Didn't see the game myself last night, but by all accounts it was dross, and if the players did walk straight of the pitch without acknowledging the fans its a poor move tbh.

Next time he releases a statement I hope it is to do with a new signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

What action do people want?Rushing into **** signings?

We played last night and won, the world hasn't caved in and we'll move on.

Although I do agree, they should have went over to the fans.

Yeah I agree. I imagine Johnson will be played LB before Robinson. It was more a case of me thinking down the line and whether or not singing another young LB would hinder Robinson in that regard.

I definitely wouldn't be comfortable with him playing anymore than five or six games this season tbh.

Was he not injured a fair bit last season, or am I confusing it with a different year?

As for Taiwo, I always liked him when I saw him play for Marseille and Nigeria actually. What happened to him at AC by the way? Seemed like his career almost died a death there last season until his loan to QPR.

Going by comments made by the player, he did not get on with Allegri at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

DrumSteve wrote: »
    What action do people want?Rushing into **** signings?

We played last night and won, the world hasn't caved in and we'll move on.

Although I do agree, they should have went over to the fans.

Do you really want me to multi quote the waffle from many officials at the club over the past 3 months ?

People have very short memories .

Enough shoite talking I say ..lets see it baby !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

some of the more prominent posters on RAWK (those who can criticise without being banned because they've been on the forum for years) are saying something along those lines

saying the club is all spin now - communications advisors, letters on the website etc

they seem to be certainly keen to respond to the consensus building on web forums which is that they haven't done enough

some of these RAWK posters say FSG are all mouth and no trousers and they have the perfect manager to market the brand as some have branded Rodgers as a saleman, a guy who is very quick to talk the talk but has not yet walked the walk

i don't think we should jump to conclusions on FSG until the end of the window and Rodgers until the end of the season but there certainly are plenty of doubts at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Do you really want me to multi quote the waffle from many officials at the club over the past 3 months ?

People have very short memories .

Enough shoite talking I say ..lets see it baby !

Tend not to read much of the waffle myself as it just seems to be rehashed quotes from the papers taken out of context.

We do need to make a few signings but I trust BR will get these done before the season starts. I do believe he is doing a good job so far of clearing out the deadwood; he must have some sort of a policy to sell to buy though especially after last seasons transfer shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

I think that's abit harsh on BR at this stage. He hasn't been afraid to make decisions so far in terms of who's out and he has made an effort to sign 3 players (Allen, Borini and Sig) who played for him before.

The easy thing to do would be to keep Carroll but he seemed to make it clear to Carroll that he doesn't see a big role for him at Liverpool. I don't think these decisions are coming from above. It probably suits FSG to get rid of some of the higher paid players but that's only sensible if they are not first team regulars.

I'm still hoping we'll pop up with some big name signing over the next few weeks to get us all excited again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

After the treatment Hodgson got for not getting the club it's hardly surprising Rodgers is going into over-drive to try and win the fans over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Melion wrote: »
    Sorry but how does that show Rafa didn't "fancy" Aquilani? Because he was injured? Nobody knows how sore his ankle was bar AA himself so I don't know what point you were trying to make

It shows Rafa was losing patience with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

It's a nice gesture from Rodgers, he's full of nice gestures & great words so far. If he can follow that up with great work on the pitch, it'll be great to have such a nice fella at the helm, however, until he starts doing that, he should just leave the niceties for now, we get it. You're not Hodgson & you "get" the club. That's only half the job, now show us you can do the other stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Wasn't part of the reason we signed Aquilani that Roma still owed us money from the Riise transfer and because of limited funds we were pushed to sign players from clubs who owed us money

Johnson from Portsmouth is another example following Crouch transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

It seems you're damned if you do and damned if you don't

Mr Alan wrote: »
    It's a nice gesture from Rodgers, he's full of nice gestures & great words so far. If he can follow that up with great work on the pitch, it'll be great to have such a nice fella at the helm, however, until he starts doing that, he should just leave the niceties for now, we get it. You're not Hodgson & you "get" the club. That's only half the job, now show us you can do the other stuff.

Well that would require people to show that they have the ability to sit back and wait.

We have four weeks to go before we can judge how his first transfer window went.

We have as long to wait to get an idea of what he thinks is our available strongest XI for the season ahead.

At this point all the guy can do is work behind the scenes with the players and answer whatever questions are put to him when at official press conferences or when he is required to do so by the club through the club site etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr Alan wrote: »

Bloody hell Alan....a little patience....a real case of damned if you do and damned if you don't!

(Edit: I just saw that Amiable has the same brilliant mind as me!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Anyone with half a notion knew Aquilani was going to be a disaster before he signed, just had to look at the man's record. Many players his age when we signed him had 200 more games under their belt, at 25/6 thats a disgrace, its 4 seasons of football. I maintain i always thought he wasnt right upstairs and said that before he signed.

His hometown club couldnt even figure the lad out and they gave him plenty of chances. Thats why no club was willing to take a punt to get him from us for so long. There was just too much risk. His ability isnt in question and thats why a 'character' analysis should have been done on him. If one was done then that person was an idiot to sanction the deal we made with Roma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

amiable wrote: »
    It seems you're damned if you do and damned if you don't

If you do it on the pitch and do get the club the fans will get behind you (Most of Houllier / Rafa's reigns)

If you do not do it on the pitch and do not get the club the fans will ride you out on a rail (Hodgson)

If you are not perceived as having done it on the pitch, even if you do get the club the fans will be happy to see the back of you (Rafa / Kenny's last seasons)

Brendan Rodgers needs to win lots of football matches. Nothing else will save him - rightly or wrongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Just checking in.

Just checking in.

Ya'll be checking out fairly shortly :pac:

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I'm not slating him folks. Jez. Just saying he's laying it on a little thick. I'm all for it & respect for the clubs traditions & fans should be vital, good to see he has it, but as Llyod said, it'll be for nothing if he can't do the business on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Ya'll be checking out fairly shortly :pac:

Opr

tumblr_m4uzl9RXcS1r5gqz4o2_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

"But don't think either of us are trying to absolve anyone of blame: Rafa took Macia's advice and paid for it."

Opr

I don't see how that reflects badly on Benitez or Macia. We don't know what Aquilani's career would've been like had Benitez stayed around. He's had a bog standard injury record since the one he had when he was signed (a few week long niggles here and there, like everyone else) and could quite possibly have gone to make 100 odd appearances in his 3 years here.

We didn't "pay" for Benitez listening to Macia - we've paid for the ****ing retarded transfer policy over the past 3 years that's seen him loaned out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

So was there a fee at all for Aquilani?

doc_17 wrote: »
    So was there a fee at all for Aquilani?

Rumours at the moment is that its either €4m outright or €4m surplus after we pay off his wages, or the difference in his wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

We sell Aquilani - moan

Rodgers thanks the fans for travelling to the game - moan

I am beginning to think it's not our manager that's our problem, nor our owners, it's our moaning fans.

The pessimism already is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

djPSB wrote: »
    We sell Aquilani - moan

Rodgers thanks the fans for travelling to the game - moan

I am beginning to think it's not our manager that's our problem, nor our owners, it's our moaning fans.

The pessimism already is unreal.

Probably because we're following up a terrible season by going into the new one with a so-far weakened squad.

People will be optimistic when there are some reasons for optimism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Probably because we're following up a terrible season by going into the new one with a so-far weakened squad.

He has moved Kuyt, Aquilani and Maxi out. And brought in Borini.

That's about €200,000 p/w off the wage budget.

He has said he hopes to bring in 2/3 players before the end of the window. He has been slow in the transfer window, but the same people were on here saying Kenny shouldn't have rushed into deals like when he signed Carroll. You can't have it both ways. He's been shrewd with his transfers, like we saw when he wouldn't overpay for Siggurdsson.

We won our first game of the season last night, albeit we were poor but it's the result that counts.

There's too many judging him already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Can't see how it's weaker tbh.

Kuyt, max and aquilani out. So past it and bit part players on lots of money gone. Borini and Allen in. That seems an improvement to me....trading upwards. You also have Cole and Stirling which weren't involved at all last season. Lucas is fit too which will make your midfield less crap as it means you don't have to play Spearing.

Dunno what all the pessimism is about with you lot. I would wager there will be one more big signing made after Allen too. The Carroll money can be spent a year in advance speculating that west ham stay up so they can definitely afford to get in another player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

He has said he hopes to bring in 2/3 players before the end of the window. He has been slow in the transfer window, but the same people were on here saying Kenny shouldn't have rushed into deals like when he signed Carroll. You can't have it both ways. He's been shrewd with his transfers, like we saw when he wouldn't overpay for Siggurdsson.

We won our first game of the season last night, albeit we were poor but it's the result that counts.

As a fan, this is the least of my worries. As long as the club doesnt go out of business, their financials have little to do with me.

What I do want is positive results. Soafter last night, BR is doing ok in my book with 1 win from 1 competitive game. Hopefully he follows up with a few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Kirby wrote: »
    Can't see how it's weaker tbh.

Kuyt, max and aquilani out. So past it and bit part players on lots of money gone. Borini and Allen in. That seems an improvement to me....trading upwards. You also have Cole and Stirling which weren't involved at all last season. Lucas is fit too which will make your midfield less crap as it means you don't have to play Spearing.

Dunno what all the pessimism is about with you lot. I would wager there will be one more big signing made after Allen too. The Carroll money can be spent a year in advance speculating that west ham stay up so they can definitely afford to get in another player.

Have we signed him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Oh, I know we could buy some great players and all be feeling wonderful, but until that happens we're still behind where we need to be with the season just about to start.

Not buying Sigurdsson only becomes shrewd if we get someone better for the same money - he sure as **** wasn't too expensive.

I've tried to not be actively negative, but there has been nothing to be actively positive about yet (Borini aside, but we're still woefully short-staffed).

You're assuming the Allen deal is done. As it stands we do not have a squad that is capable of challenging for CL football.

Sign Allen/or similar, a CAM and a winger and I will be happy, quality depending, going into the coming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

jenno86 wrote: »
    Have we signed him?

From whats being reported, it's pretty much done at this stage. Just haggling over pennies. I think it's a case of "when and how much" and not "if" at this stage.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement