Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Kirby wrote: »
    From whats being reported, it's pretty much done at this stage. Just haggling over pennies. I think it's a case of "when and how much" and not "if" at this stage.

We said the same with Siggurdson. Countless people on here had him down as a cert and the amount of lineups posted with him in it was absurd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Maybe it's just me, but the anxiety I'm feeling over this summer at the club has far more to do with FSG than Rodgers. I've admitted before that I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'm genuinely worried there has been a sea change in Fenway's strategy for the club.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Knex. wrote: »
    We said the same with Siggurdson. Countless people on here had him down as a cert and the amount of lineups posted with him in it was absurd.

Until it's reported somewhere reliable I'll not believe it. Goal.com must have run the story about 3 times by now that he has actually signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

You're assuming the Allen deal is done. As it stands we do not have a squad that is capable of challenging for CL football.

Sign Allen/or similar, a CAM and a winger and I will be happy, quality depending, going into the coming season.

That's assuming we don't sell anymore. If Carroll or a center back goes they'll have to be replaced too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Oh, I know we could buy some great players and all be feeling wonderful, but until that happens we're still behind where we need to be with the season just about to start.

Not buying Sigurdsson only becomes shrewd if we get someone better for the same money - he sure as **** wasn't too expensive.

I've tried to not be actively negative, but there has been nothing to be actively positive about yet (Borini aside, but we're still woefully short-staffed).

At this stage last year, we had added Downing, Henderson and Adam at a cost of nearly £50m. I would prefer our transfer strategy this season.

At this stage last year, Spurs and Arsenal had very little business done. Spurs then added Adebayor, Parker and Friedel very late in the window.

Arsenal added Arteta, Mertesacker and Benayoun late in the window.

You would have thought that Liverpool were best prepared at the start of the season, only for Spurs and Arsenal to pull off a few key transfers late on.

There's alot of time for us to do business in this window yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Going back to what John Henry said out Kenny never being a long term option.

Why did he give him so much money?

If Rodgers is a long term option, why doesn't he have some more money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ape X wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but the anxiety I'm feeling over this summer at the club has far more to do with FSG than Rodgers. I've admitted before that I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'm genuinely worried there has been a sea change in Fenway's strategy for the club.

Yes and No.

It's obvious they now know the massive mistakes they have made in the first 18 months and to be honest I think it's a bigger project than they first estimated.

I wouldn't be surprised if they flip the club at the first profitable opportunity .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

5starpool wrote: »
    Until it's reported somewhere reliable I'll not believe it. Goal.com must have run the story about 3 times by now that he has actually signed.

It's not true for me until BBC report it.

Leiva wrote: »
    Yes and No.

It's obvious they now know the massive mistakes they have made in the first 18 months and to be honest I think it's a bigger project than they first estimated.

I wouldn't be surprised if they flip the club at the first profitable opportunity .

I've been mulling this thought over for the last couple of weeks, and tbh, I think you could well be right on that hunch.

We'll know more in 3 weeks when the window closes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Have we signed anyone yet, I am bored.

• Advertisement

I definitely agree with this, and I'm hoping the change in approach is down to the fact that they genuinely now see the long term approach as yielding the best results for both FSG and LFC now that they've failed with the quick fix approach.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they flip the club at the first profitable opportunity.
    This has been at the back of my mind ever since BR's appointment, but again, I hope I'm just being paranoid and we can take FSG at their word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've been mulling this thought over for the last couple of weeks, and tbh, I think you could well be right on that hunch.

We'll know more in 3 weeks when the window closes.

If the FFP is clearly not going to work then you could understand.

Something else I was thinking was that maybe they're just not going to spend much at all and work on youth development and be happy enough for us to sit in mid-table for a few seasons.

We'll have to see how often they've gotten their chequebook out in a months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

jenno86 wrote: »

Very good questions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

jenno86 wrote: »

Well this is the thing. He didnt give Kenny money. They made money available.

Kenny identified players, Comolli paid the prices. They made money available but too many people outside of Damien Comolli are being judged on what Comolli spent. Is there a worse negotiator out there than what he did in last 2 years?.

If Comolli had got Carroll/Hendo/Adam/Downing for 50m instead of 70+ we would almost have an even balance sheet for players out/in since they arrived. Comolli, and the people who appointed him have a lot to answer for imho.

For all anyone here knows, we could have had other targets that (1) did not want to come or (2) we were skimping on wages. I believe these lads Kenny got in are on far lower than what others are on and i believe Tom Werner was talking out of his hole on lfc.tv when he said we didnt want to reduce the wages, we want to increase them.

We have done nothing but the opposite since then. Thats fine if you have candour when you speak about your plans, but all i see is propaganda and 'lies' to a degree. And some of it is hiding behind FFPR. Why spend 35 on Carroll?, because it was the last day of xfer windows where FFPR was not in effect. It was a speculative punt due to the fact that money received for torres would have gone against us down the line in FFPR. The 35 spent was more of an investment in expectation of monies coming back in during FFPR.

Im not saying i think we should flash the cash at targets, nor am i saying offer silly wages. All im saying is watch these owners over a period of time. The walk hasnt resembled the talk for me. You cant overhaul too quickly, a lot of those players had their first season together last season and did fine by me, i never expected 4th, and when the squad got pushed in the later stages of two cups (plus Lucas out), players took their eye off the ball, many of them never won a medal before with us or anyone else. And thats why you shouldnt plough cash into young players like Hendo/Carroll and expect miracles because you are susceptible to panic...........and i believe they did panic. And i believe you will see them panic again in 18 months if there is no prospect of 4th. What will people say then when the 'philosophy' throughout the club is disassembled?......again. Maybe left with players who play for managers instead of the club?

People have to remember that these guys never heard of LFC 2 months before it was acquired on the cheap. Purslow was right when he said it was bottom of the barrel bid, it was......but we as a club were desperate.

The next few weeks will be interesting, alltough i wont be surprised if theres no "very exciting" signing and we go into the new season with same old same old deficiencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Yes and No.

You could well be right. Probably realise they don't have the finances to compete with Man Citeh and Chelski. I'm a bit disappointed we aren't splashing the cash and signing more high profile players.

Could be a missed opportunity for them - Liverpool are a sleeping giant, given the club's pedigree and global fan base. Somone with sufficient funding would really benefit and profit from turning the club around. I thought FSG had that vision and financial might, such a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

daithijjj wrote: »

Kenny identified players, Comolli paid the prices. They made money available but too many people outside of Damien Comolli are being judged on what Comolli spent. Is there a worse negotiator out there than what he did in last 2 years?.

If Comolli had got Carroll/Hendo/Adam/Downing for 50m instead of 70+ we would almost have an even balance sheet for players out/in since they arrived. Comolli, and the people who appointed him have a lot to answer for imho.

For all anyone here knows, we could have had other targets that (1) did not want to come or (2) we were skimping on wages. I believe these lads Kenny got in are on far lower than what others are on and i believe Tom Werner was talking out of his hole on lfc.tv when he said we didnt want to reduce the wages, we want to increase them.

We have done nothing but the opposite since then. Thats fine if you have candour when you speak about your plans, but all i see is propaganda and 'lies' to a degree. And some of it is hiding behind FFPR. Why spend 35 on Carroll?, because it was the last day of xfer windows where FFPR was not in effect. It was a speculative punt due to the fact that money received for torres would have gone against us down the line in FFPR. The 35 spent was more of an investment in expectation of monies coming back in during FFPR.

Im not saying i think we should flash the cash at targets, nor am i saying offer silly wages. All im saying is watch these owners over a period of time. The walk hasnt resembled the talk for me. You cant overhaul too quickly, a lot of those players had their first season together last season and did fine by me, i never expected 4th, and when the squad got pushed in the later stages of two cups (plus Lucas out), players took their eye off the ball, many of them never won a medal before with us or anyone else. And thats why you shouldnt plough cash into young players like Hendo/Carroll and expect miracles because you are susceptible to panic...........and i believe they did panic. And i believe you will see them panic again in 18 months if there is no prospect of 4th. What will people say then when the 'philosophy' throughout the club is disassembled?......again. Maybe left with players who play for managers instead of the club?

People have to remember that these guys never heard of LFC 2 months before it was acquired on the cheap. Purslow was right when he said it was bottom of the barrel bid, it was......but we as a club were desperate.

The next few weeks will be interesting, alltough i wont be surprised if theres no "very exciting" signing and we go into the new season with same old same old deficiencies.
    Amen .

I think we could get Sahin on loan.

djPSB wrote: »

We could do a lot of things. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

djPSB wrote: »

Brendan Rodgers has confirmed that he has made a couple of enquiries for foreign players on loan. (via the Guardian) -- Eziz Allamov (@Ezizallamov)

Could be him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I believe we can fly, I........

Opr

Brendan Rodgers has confirmed that he has made a couple of enquiries for foreign players on loan. (via the Guardian) -- Eziz Allamov (@Ezizallamov)

YES! He's bringing back the Aquaman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Could be him!

It could well be him because Mourinho and Rodgers are supposed to be very good friends . So it could be beneficial to both of them .

Could be him!

It could well be him because Mourinho and Rodgers are supposed to be very good friends . So it could be beneficial to both of them .

Friends with benefits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ardent wrote: »
    Could be a missed opportunity for them - Liverpool are a sleeping giant, given the club's pedigree and global fan base. Somone with sufficient funding would really benefit and profit from turning the club around. I thought FSG had that vision and financial might, such a pity.

This is the thing.
    Anyone interested in "turning the club around", bringing into competing with Chelsea, Man City, Man United, and in Europe Madrid Barcelona etc would need to spend significant money to bring the squad and more importantly the facilities up to a similar standard as any of the clubs mentioned.
    There is no way those owners would profit in the short term. It is much more profitable to buy the club on the cheap, spend as little money as possible, and cash out every now and again, and maybe sell the club at a profit at some point.

The owners of City and Chelsea will NEVER make their money back on those clubs - they don't really want or need to either.
    Liverpool's (as a club) biggest failure in the past decade was the inability to get it together to build a newer, bigger and more corporate "friendly" stadium.

FSG are interested only in profits and how best to make them, much the same as many owners.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    FSG are interested only in profits and how best to make them, much the same as many owners.

Well they aren't great at that either. They seem like a bunch of enthusiastic noobs so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

By all means say I'm a lunatic, but daithijjj is older and wiser than I. That's a very succinct overview imo. People who aren't concerned aren't paying attention imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

These lads are just novices in football, the odds on them coming over and hiring a top class CEO/great manager/getting a perfect structure in play straight off the bat were very slim. There was always going to be bumps along the way. I'm at first they were happy to give Comolli a lot of control due to his contacts with Billy Beane and the whole moneyball situation(he had a pretty decent track record too). Once they saw how bad he was first hand they rightly told him to GTFO though, I wouldn't call that panicking though. I'd call that assessing the situation and making a smart decision.

FSG haven't been sitting on there hands doing nothing, they've been in touch with various reporters and football people on the quiet(David Dein for example) and learning as much as they can. It was always going to be a slow and sometimes painful process when you have novice owners who don't have a bottomless pity of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well they aren't great at that either. They seem like a bunch of enthusiastic noobs so far.

You don't think they've been taking a wage for themselves from the club since they've taken over and aren't lining the club up for a quick sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

I blame FIFA for enriques dip, looking at his Twitter he plays it the whole time.

All hail the FIFA king.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You don't think they've been taking a wage for themselves from the club since they've taken over and aren't lining the club up for a quick sale?

302x347px-LL-70a95d5b_superman-drinking1.gif

Yea I can see them bailing when they get the chance to bank a few quid.
    I just mean that they proclaim to be sports business men but they seem a bit crap at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

They just don't get football.

We'll most likely be looking for new owners and a manager come May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Super-Rush wrote: »
    They just don't get football.

We'll most likely be looking for new owners and a manager come May.

superman-I-love-tea2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd be very surprised if they are willing to take a loss on us.

302x347px-LL-70a95d5b_superman-drinking1.gif

Dirk's really not settling into Turkey too well is he :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

opr wrote: »

The end of the full link:
    brendan-rodgers-luis-suarez
    :eek:

http://news.oneindia.in/2012/08/03/epl-team-statistics-and-facts-liverpool-fc-2011-12-1047184.html

EPL: Team Statistics and Facts: Liverpool FC
    wrote:
    Out of 38 games, Liverpool won 14, lost 14 and 10 ended without any result.

#dafuq?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Got to say fair play to Jamie Carragher on making his 700th appearance the other night. Good to see a player coming up through the ranks and playing for his hometown club for that length of time, especially in the modern era where the game is full of footballers who would sell their mother for more money.

Once the likes of Carragher have gone it will be a long, long time before we see others even come close to that sort of record.

No club would pay Carragher what we do. Simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Paully D wrote: »
    Got to say fair play to Jamie Carragher on making his 700th appearance the other night. Good to see a player coming up through the ranks and playing for his hometown club for that length of time, especially in the modern era where the game is full of footballers who would sell their mother for more money.

Once the likes of Carragher have gone it will be a long, long time before we see others even come close to that sort of record.

You're right in that it's his hometown club but he was an Everton fan as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

You're right in that it's his hometown club but he was an Everton fan as a kid.

I have a feeling that's why Paully used the term Hometown Club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Paully D wrote: »

Ah here would ya feck off. He played for Liverpool......where he is paid so much money he is a multi-millionaire. It's very easy to be loyal when you can afford a ferrari. If he spent his career on 3 grand a week at some league 1 club when the premiership clubs were clamoring for him, you can talk to me about loyalty.

Loyalty on 100k a week.....give me strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Jesus some of you in here are a depressing lot.

This talk of FSG selling up, where the fúck has that come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Dempsey will arrive on the last day of the window I reckon. Its a game of brinkmanship, where Fulham will be forced to make a decision to sell on the cheap rather than lose him for nothing next summer. Al-Fayed will not turn down the chance to cash in. Whether Dempsey turns out to be a success is another matter. for between 3-5million he is decent business though. And its how the club should be doing things, getting proper value.

Would not be surprised to see 2-3 loan signings from the continent aswell to be honest. Every deadline day we see some great loan deals happen and we should really take advantage of it. We are forever getting screwed with this season long loan deal "with an option to buy", we should take advantage of it ourselves and be knocking on Real Madrids door for Sahin.

I don't think we have done that since Nicholas Anelka?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Kirby wrote: »
    Ah here would ya feck off. He played for Liverpool......where he is paid so much money he is a multi-millionaire. It's very easy to be loyal when you can afford a ferrari. If he spent his career on 3 grand a week at some league 1 club when the premiership clubs were clamoring for him, you can talk to me about loyalty.

Loyalty on 100k a week.....give me strength.

What a crock of shít. You bitter,bitter person. For all his faults as he gets to the end of his career, Carragher has been a huge servant to Liverpool, both on and off the field.

Typical Irish begrudgery thats all your post is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone wrote: »
    Jesus some of you in here are a depressing lot.

This talk of FSG selling up, where the fúck has that come from?

Lack of anything else to talk about but mainly the absence of new shiny things to go "oooooooooooh" at.

Its all BS of the highest order but this thread has been a joke for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I've no idea who this chap is but interesting none the less.
    Dont know where the 7.8m for aqua man came from....then again I don't know where people in here were getting their figures from either?

http://full-timewhistle.com/2012/08/04/agger-bellamy-afellay-sahin-and-kaka-the-latest-rumours-from-liverpool-fc/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Anyone wrote: »
    What a crock of shít. You bitter,bitter person. For all his faults as he gets to the end of his career, Carragher has been a huge servant to Liverpool, both on and off the field.

Typical Irish begrudgery thats all your post is.

Injected with scouse village jealousy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just thinking about this summer thus far, what odds we get linked with loan moves for people like Tevez or Adebayor or Villa over the next few weeks, and then end up picking up Mickey Owen instead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement