Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Never thought he was good enough to be honest. Touch of the Daniel Sturridge about him, though with far less talent. He has not done enough on loan either for me

He was mainly used as a sub during his loan spells though, and has never had a lot of minutes on the pitch.

Seen him many times for the ressie and academy teams over the past three or four years, and he has always shown hints of something. I actually think that his positioning is quite good and he seems to read runs very well. Not saying he is a great young talent or anything like that, just that he is one that I am unsure of as to whether or not there is a good player in him.

I do think he is a good example of one of the things that is wrong with our academy set up though. We seem to produce a hell of a lot of young players who get bigged up a lot and they just keep getting bigged up by the club but rarely introduced to the bench and even more rarely does a gamble get taken on one of them other than the odd token game here and there. We seem to get a lot of academy players that by the time they are 20,21 or even 22 have never been really tested at senior level at all in order to see what they have or have not got about them.

People, and by people I mean the club, should look towards the continent more for how to set up an academy and more so in order to see what to do with the young players. The French league in particular is a great example of a league where many of the clubs have youth set ups that regularly produce players who are first team regulars with maybe 75 to 150 senior games to their name by the time they hit 21. The Belgian league does likewise and the Dutch league is very good for it as well.

The English FA and the British media often go on about the next crop of "amazing" British talent that is emerging, but when one looks east of England there are hundreds and hundreds of young players of similar ages who are far more advanced in terms of technique and experience and who don't have any fuss made over it as it is the norm there.

I best stop though as this was meant to be a reply about Eccleston and it is starting to turn into a youth set up yapfest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Kess73 wrote: »
    Was listed as being organised to help the conditioning of both Agger and Carroll.

Have some memory of an arrangement to play Rochdale as part of Eccleston's loan there as well though.

they won't get much cash out of it if it was behind closed doors :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Whats the story with Aqualani? Is there stuff going on behind the scenes or in training?
    Anytime I've seen him play I thought he looked very calm, great on the ball and at tricky one-touch passing/control.
    Carroll will probably perform much better this season now that the expectation is almost nil, and did look good in a few matches towards the end of last season.

Borini sounds alarm bells of anothe purchase who previously didn't cut it with a top prem club previously ie Riera.
    Hope it works out.
    Interesting to see how this season pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Whats the story with Aqualani? Is there stuff going on behind the scenes or in training?
    Anytime I've seen him play I thought he looked very calm, great on the ball and at tricky one-touch passing/control.
    Carroll will probably perform much better this season now that the expectation is almost nil, and did look good in a few matches towards the end of last season.

Borini sounds alarm bells of anothe purchase who previously didn't cut it with a top prem club previously ie Riera.
    Hope it works out.
    Interesting to see how this season pans out.

Aquilani completed a move to Fiorentina a few days ago.
    Chelsea wanted Borini to sign a new contract but he turned it down.

donfers wrote: »

I'm sure Liverpool paid them a fee

donfers wrote: »

They would still receive a fee that would be substantial to a League Two side. Any club that plays a closed door friendly gets a fee from the team organising it.

Pretty sure the last few friendlies behind closed doors were against teams that we had loaned players to the season before as well.

amiable wrote: »
    He completed a move to Fiorentina a few days ago
    Was disappointed to read that this morning. Was just wondering what the problems were as he seemed a good player to me, who was never given a proper chance.

Was disappointed to read that this morning. Was just wondering what the problems were as he seemed a good player to me, who was never given a proper chance.

And the thread had just calmed down

Aquilani completed a move to Fiorentina a few days ago.
    Chelsea wanted Borini to sign a new contract but he turned it down.

Yep. He turned them down rather than them letting him go. He was very highly rated whilst at Chelsea and many of their supporters would have been very happy to see him stay at Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

Essentially he forced his way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes it's terrible....wonder what Dalglish will do now.

Joni23 wrote: »
    Essentially he forced his way out.
    bouncing_tits_02.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

bouncing_tits_02.gif

I am mesmerized by them!!!

killwill wrote: »
    I am mesmerized by them!!!

Anything to avoid another long drawn out discussion on Aquilani

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm sorry to keep it going but has it been confirmed that Aquilani has been sold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Randomly found this on Youtube

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to keep it going but has it been confirmed that Aquilani has been sold?

FFS.....try google or even the LFC website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yup he's been photoed training in their gear and all. Hearing we've gotten anywhere from 4 to 7 million for him

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/lfc-confirm-aquilani-transfer

murpho999 wrote: »
    FFS.....try google or even the LFC website.
    Well that was informative, would an lfc related forum not be a good place to ask lfc related questions?
    Yup he's been photoed training in their gear and all. Hearing we've gotten anywhere from 4 to 7 million for him

Sound, at least he's finally gone now.

• Advertisement

Well that was informative, would an lfc related forum not be a good place to ask lfc related questions?

Yes, but it's old news at this stage and you have internet and you could search or look at other pages on the thread?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes, but it's old news at this stage and you have internet and you could search or look at other pages on the thread?

I didn't realise it was old news, wouldn't have asked otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I heard a nasty rumour we sold Torres, please tell me that isn't true?

I heard a nasty rumour we sold Torres, please tell me that isn't true?

I'm still getting over Fowler going to Leeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Found this today and thought it was fairly interesting. Apologies if its been posted before. (And no its not Kate Cohen!)

http://www.eplindex.com/14987/brendan-rodgers-tactical-approach-liverpool-adapt-tikitaka.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I'm still getting over Fowler going to Leeds

I think we're still paying him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

joe123 wrote: »
    Found this today and thought it was fairly interesting. Apologies if its been posted before. (And no its not Kate Cohen!)

http://www.eplindex.com/14987/brendan-rodgers-tactical-approach-liverpool-adapt-tikitaka.html

Great article thanks mate. I reckon he needs at least 3 players to either step up or be brought in. A fit Agger and Skrtel together are ideal for this type of football (were fukked everywhere else:().

Gazzetta dello Sport reports that AC Milan will be patient in negotiations with Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.
    It would be nice to see Liverpool take a punt on him and outbid Milan

Gazzetta dello Sport reports that AC Milan will be patient in negotiations with Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.
    It would be nice to see Liverpool take a punt on him and outbid Milan

I'd be shocked if he picked us over Milan.

I'd be shocked if he picked us over Milan.

Money

• Advertisement

Money

That won't be happening.

That won't be happening.

My point was it would be nice to see them attempt to sign a player like him instead of the usual links to Premiership Proven players

My point was it would be nice to see them attempt to sign a player like him instead of the usual links to Premiership Proven players

I don't think it would. I'd rather not throw ridiculous money at players for them to sign. Much happier see this club run to a decent financial standard.

I don't think it would. I'd rather not throw ridiculous money at players for them to sign. Much happier see this club run to a decent financial standard.

I'd prefer they didn't throw ridiculous money too and buying him wouldn't be ridiculous money IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

At the cost of success? Cos it doesn't look like both can co-exist.....unless Arsenal are doing it wrong.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Turtyturd wrote: »
    At the cost of success? Cos it doesn't look like both can co-exist.....unless Arsenal are doing it wrong.

If in 3 years time we can be doing what Arsenal have been doing for the last 5 I'll be delighted considering how things have been for the last 3 years here.

And the thread had just calmed down

Lol! Sorry about that, was on holidays and busy (yay!) so haven't been following the fanfare this year.
    Now tell me a bit about Lucas and Net spend, negritos! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What headlines are we going to see next year when things go to sh1t?

TIKI TAKA TOE.
    TIKI TAKA - NO.

I dunno.

B-Rod gets fired:

TIKI, TAKA, GO!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Finally something happening on the transfer front,
    About time,
    Seems we have an interest in this guy,
    Fast feet, Reliable,
    Would never run around or desert us like torres, Wears his heart on his sleeve,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Look who showed up at the tennis today :P

zUzvu.jpg

Zero to do with Liverpool, why not use the picture thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What headlines are we going to see next year when things go to sh1t?

TIKI TAKA TOE.
    TIKI TAKA - NO.

I dunno.

B-Rod gets fired:

TIKI, TAKA, GO!!!

Are Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Are Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool done?

Yep, done finishing outside the top 4,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

5starpool wrote: »
    If in 3 years time we can be doing what Arsenal have been doing for the last 5 I'll be delighted considering how things have been for the last 3 years here.

What will you be 'delighted' about really though?. The only truly happy people at Arsenal are the 'shareholders'. I personally dont want to be a 'shareholder' or someone who defines happiness based on whether i can play some other team who isnt champions of their country either on a Tuesday night.

As was said to Jack Wilshere on twitter, what will you show your grandkids Jack?, signed and framed league tables?.

I know you added the disclaimer of 'last 3 years' but what if LFC do no better than KK did in the next 3 years?.

My fear now is that these owners have had their fingers burnt and will now retract badly. On Wed or Thurs next week i expect people to be in here trying to explain away why Bellamy is joining Cardiff, justifying it, like we couldnt use him this year. The only thing i see at this club is cost cutting on the team while improving the brand. I might get surprised in the next few weeks but i doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

The cost cutting is needed though daithijjj. Liverpools wage to turnover ratio is alamingly high. A few summers of more exits than purchases and signings of a calibre that wont command high wages is in store. Ye are in a bit of a mess tbh. Playing catch up while cutting costs is a recipe for furthr decline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

daithijjj wrote: »
    What will you be 'delighted' about really though?. The only truly happy people at Arsenal are the 'shareholders'. I personally dont want to be a 'shareholder' or someone who defines happiness based on whether i can play some other team who isnt champions of their country either on a Tuesday night.

As was said to Jack Wilshere on twitter, what will you show your grandkids Jack?, signed and framed league tables?.

I know you added the disclaimer of 'last 3 years' but what if LFC do no better than KK did in the next 3 years?.

My fear now is that these owners have had their fingers burnt and will now retract badly. On Wed or Thurs next week i expect people to be in here trying to explain away why Bellamy is joining Cardiff, justifying it, like we couldnt use him this year. The only thing i see at this club is cost cutting on the team while improving the brand. I might get surprised in the next few weeks but i doubt it.

What are we expecting from the owners? Last years accounts showed a structural loss in the club of somewhere above £20 million if I remember correctly. We are hemorrhaging money, even after the reduction in interest payments of £15m p/a and the Standard Chartered deal. Sure, the Warrior deal will improve that position, but it is really only the one-off sales of Torres and Mascherano that stopped the accounts showing a very bleak picture.

With no CL money, our turnover isn't going to radically increase. Sure, it will go up with the new TV money, but relative to the other teams we aren't moving forward much. If revenue won't go up, costs need to come down. The wage-bill is the only game in town.

Werner's talk about increasing the wage bill were, I'm sure, said in the hope of CL qualification allowing us to pay those kinds of wages. That's what last year's spending was supposed to propel us to. Unfortunately, it has at best left us standing still.

Of course we are cost-cutting. Do you want the club making repeated losses and racking up debt? Bellamy will be got rid of imo because the club cannot afford to pay massive wages to someone who cannot be relied upon to be fit for every game.

Cost cutting is exactly what the club needs. We have got rid of Maxi, Aurelio, Kuyt and Aquilani who were all paid far above their performance levels. Cole, Carragher, Doni and Bellamy are the ones left.

The way I see it the wage bill is being pruned down to a level below what our budget allows, and it will be then built up again to a level we can afford with players who hopefully offer more value.

Our fortunes may suffer this season while this transition takes place, but it is a necessary step imo. Few, if any of these metal contracts were handed out under FSG, it's not their mess, but they have to clean it up.

• Advertisement

By the way, Scott from RAWK, who is definitely not a bull*******, says that Bellamy has asked to leave as he wants to go home to Cardiff

- Wants to leave
    - In his 30's
    - Doubts over fitness
    - High salary.

Little reason to keep him imo

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

What are we expecting from the owners? Last years accounts showed a structural loss in the club of somewhere above £20 million if I remember correctly. We are hemorrhaging money, even after the reduction in interest payments of £15m p/a and the Standard Chartered deal. Sure, the Warrior deal will improve that position, but it is really only the one-off sales of Torres and Mascherano that stopped the accounts showing a very bleak picture.

With no CL money, our turnover isn't going to radically increase. Sure, it will go up with the new TV money, but relative to the other teams we aren't moving forward much. If revenue won't go up, costs need to come down. The wage-bill is the only game in town.

Werner's talk about increasing the wage bill were, I'm sure, said in the hope of CL qualification allowing us to pay those kinds of wages. That's what last year's spending was supposed to propel us to. Unfortunately, it has at best left us standing still.

Of course we are cost-cutting. Do you want the club making repeated losses and racking up debt? Bellamy will be got rid of imo because the club cannot afford to pay massive wages to someone who cannot be relied upon to be fit for every game.

Cost cutting is exactly what the club needs. We have got rid of Maxi, Aurelio, Kuyt and Aquilani who were all paid far above their performance levels. Cole, Carragher, Doni and Bellamy are the ones left.

The way I see it the wage bill is being pruned down to a level below what our budget allows, and it will be then built up again to a level we can afford with players who hopefully offer more value.

Our fortunes may suffer this season while this transition takes place, but it is a necessary step imo. Few, if any of these metal contracts were handed out under FSG, it's not their mess, but they have to clean it up.

Don't even go there

The Doni stuff was funny last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The cost cutting is needed though daithijjj. Liverpools wage to turnover ratio is alamingly high. A few summers of more exits than purchases and signings of a calibre that wont command high wages is in store. Ye are in a bit of a mess tbh. Playing catch up while cutting costs is a recipe for furthr decline.

What do you say when your chairman says 'we want to increase wages' and then do the opposite?. The cost cutting isn't needed in terms of overall running of the club. The cost cutting is needed because there are players at the club who are not deemed value for their wages.

LFC wages as a % of turnover was in the same bracket as Everton, Fulham and Birmingham City in 09/10, all clubs in the 60-70% bracket.

That made us the 6th most efficient club in the league, with 14 teams having a higher %.......ie, the cost cutting is not needed.

daithijjj wrote: »
    What do you say when your chairman says 'we want to increase wages' and then do the opposite?. The cost cutting isn't needed in terms of overall running of the club. The cost cutting is needed because there are players at the club who are not deemed value for their wages.

LFC wages as a % of turnover was in the same bracket as Everton, Fulham and Birmingham City in 09/10, all clubs in the 60-70% bracket.

That made us the 6th most efficient club in the league, with 14 teams having a higher %.......ie, the cost cutting is not needed.

Tell me how you plug the loss that is inherent in the club's current structure then . . .
    Increasing revenue?
    or
    Cutting costs?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement