Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's not like he said Joe cole would be a starter next season or likened him to Messi in training.

steven_gerrard_court_benitez_support.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

G.K. wrote: »
    What is your concern with the things I emboldened?

I don't think we'll qualify for the CL depending on either.

I suppose I could look at it another way and agree that they have long term upside, but our timescale for getting back where we need to be is shorter than we'd all like to admit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Neither can I, the misguided optimism will disappear when we start losing football matches

OR

we'll start winning football matches and we can all have a good old laugh at sily old Lloyd while doing pelvic thrusts in celebration at our upturn in fortunes...:)

I'm just looking forward to quoting all your posts in one go. ;)

I'm hyst looking forward to quoting all your posts in one go. ;)

Failure to do so would be a disgraceful oversight on all your parts imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I don't think we'll qualify for the CL depending on either.

I suppose I could look at it another way and agree that they have long term upside, but our timescale for getting back where we need to be is shorter than we'd all like to admit...

But we are more likely to get to CL with Spearing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

MD1990 wrote: »
    Insua is playing well in Portugal which isnt a strong league

He's not just simply playing well, he's been a standout performer this past season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I actually think Aquilani as a central partner for Lucas would be perfect. He has played as the deep lying centre during most of his loan time in Italy often in a two man midfield. I think they would complement each other well.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yes. Pepe Reina was league average at best last year. Really, really poor. Debated before, but when people think of Reina as a strength they are thinking about a version of Reina that hasn't existed for about two and a half years...

He was poor last year, but sitting deep doesnt suit him, i think well see a better Pepe this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

aaronh007 wrote: »
    He's not just simply playing well, he's been a standout performer this past season.
    did u see there games?

Kess73 wrote: »
    We don't need another Lucas in reserve but if we bought a CM/DM that was good enough to go straight into the first team to play alongside Lucas that was also capable of doing what Lucas does should Lucas be out, then we had some kind of solidity in the centre...

That would be fine. My point is that whatever acquisition we make needs to be a starter, not a back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I'm hyst looking forward to quoting all your posts in one go. ;)

Takes a special kind of person to care about what someone on a web forum said 12, 24, or 36 months ago. :pac:

did u see there games?

I watched him be money time during their Europa League run.

That would be fine. My point is that whatever acquisition we make needs to be a starter, not a back up.

Was agreeing with what you said, not disagreeing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

So what sort of team is everyone expecting to line out Tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

did u see there games?

Plenty. Himself, Ricky van, Rui Patricio and Fernandez were far and away Sportings best players and easily 4 of the best in Liga Sagres.

While he didn't have much competition last season, Sporting have signed fellow countryman Marcos Rojo from Spartak, and while I don't really rate Rojo as anyone all that special, it will be interesting to see how he takes to having competition.

And just to go back to your comment on the league not being that strong, they've overtaken Ligue 1 as the 5th best in Europe.

I've seen Insua mentioned a few times when trawling the football transfer gossip :pac: Fiorentina and Valencia were two names mentioned in connection with him over the last few weeks. We still own 50% of him, not sure how that works if Sporting sell him on.

Opr

Jones

McLaughlin
    Enrique

Wisdom
    Skrtel

Spearing

Shelvey
    Aquilani

---Ibe
    Sterling----

Pacheco

to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Jones

McLaughlin
    Enrique

Wisdom
    Skrtel

Spearing

Shelvey
    Aquilani

---Ibe
    Sterling----

Pacheco

to start.

Is that confirmed?

Is that confirmed?

No no. It's what I reckon it might be.

• Advertisement

Is that confirmed?

Best guess I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So what sort of team is everyone expecting to line out Tomorrow?

I'd like to see the likes of Cole, Adam, Shelvey, Agger and Lucas start one half, and Skrtel, Carragher, Aquilani, Spearing and Enrique the other. Don't want to see all the experience in the same half, we need the kids to be supported to show their best.

Really hope we see the likes of Sterling, Ibe and Eccleston free to show their stuff...

opr wrote: »
    We still own 50% of him, not sure how that works if Sporting sell him on.

Do we? Wouldn't they have to buy us out to sell him, like with Borini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Neither can I, the misguided optimism will disappear when we start losing football matches

OR

we'll start winning football matches and we can all have a good old laugh at sily old Lloyd while doing pelvic thrusts in celebration at our upturn in fortunes...:)

Might have to get onto this guy if it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Read the post you quoted again. I'm not assuming we have the money to solve all those problems and that's the ****ing point. With limited resources, getting rid of someone like Spearing would be utter stupidity.

However, **** it, let's go.

IF THIS IS ALL WE ARE GETTING TO SPEND THIS SUMMER THAN FSG AREN'T WHAT WE HOPED THEY WOULD BE

If they thought one round of net investment would do the job then they are deluded. Not enough investment; no solution regarding the Anfield issue; poor HR with respect to all levels of management. I think they haven't a clue if I'm honest.

Hmmm, maybe I got thrown by you wanting to get rid of Downing and the rest of it.

Tell me this, how could you post that and in all seriousness moan about Kenny getting the sack? It doesn't add up. How could you moan, derail and attack posters who unfortunately lost their faith in the man, the same man who is responsible for a lot of the signings and faults you just went on about?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

IF THIS IS ALL WE ARE GETTING TO SPEND THIS SUMMER THAN FSG AREN'T WHAT WE HOPED THEY WOULD BE

If they thought one round of net investment would do the job then they are deluded. Not enough investment; no solution regarding the Anfield issue; poor HR with respect to all levels of management. I think they haven't a clue if I'm honest.

Just on the owners and investment, they never promised massive funds, indeed they were pretty explicit on that.I'd expect funds of about £30 Million plus any sales on top.

There has been moves on the stadium front, the new stadium needs huge corporate investment and this is hardly the time to be looking for it. From refurbishing suites and new marquee I've a feeling Anfield will win out but you can't blame them for Council inaction. They've clearly said what they prefer.

I think they've learnt their lesson from Comolli and Kenny, they'll have more involvement from now on.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Looking at that Suso interview. He seems like a great kid and is relishing the time with the 1st team and playing under BR.
    How many think he can make the step up to be part or the match day squad next season.
    It would be great to have Sterling and/or Suso in the matchday squads next season. I have not seen enough of suso but I'm sure OPR and the other guys will know more about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

naughtb4 wrote: »
    He was poor last year, but sitting deep doesnt suit him, i think well see a better Pepe this year

Do we have a goalkeeping coach as yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Does anybody reckon any of last years dud's could turn around their form. Will anyone feel like a challenge has been put up to them and actually perform.

It would be nice to be able to give the 'Like a new signing' line to one of them.

I suppose BR has mentioned Henderson but what about Adams, Downing and if Carroll stays.

K-9 wrote: »
    Read the post you quoted again. I'm not assuming we have the money to solve all those problems and that's the ****ing point. With limited resources, getting rid of someone like Spearing would be utter stupidity.

However, **** it, let's go.

Hmmm, maybe I got thrown by you wanting to get rid of Downing and the rest of it.

Tell me this, how could you post that and in all seriousness moan about Kenny getting the sack? It doesn't add up. How could you moan, derail and attack posters who unfortunately lost their faith in the man, the same man who is responsible for a lot of the signings and faults you just went on about?
    Because we replaced him with a nothing replacement. I've answered this already today. If you're going to sack a living legend who took you to two cup finals it should be because you have a demonstrably superior replacement lined up. Instead we got Brendan ****ing Rodgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Does anybody reckon any of last years dud's could turn around their form. Will anyone feel like a challenge has been put up to them and actually perform.

It would be nice to be able to give the 'Like a new signing' line to one of them.

I suppose BR has mentioned Henderson but what about Adams, Downing and if Carroll stays.

None of them were good enough for us before we signed them, I don't see much changing. Downing might improve, he can't get any worse though, but they'll only ever amount to squad players. Henderson I think has a good chance of making something of himself, either here or at another club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I don't think Kenny got the best out of Henderson or Downing. He eventually lit a fire under Andy but it seems as if Rodgers won't bother if you believe what you read. Adams performed as many expected last season - some great passes, but didn't work hard enough or do enough in most games. That said his partnership with Lucas was bearing fruit before the injury.

If anyone will be 'like a new signing' it's Aquilani, so long as the chap actually stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yes i think Downing will surprise a few of us next year, think he can also do a job in the centre if needs be

I think Henderson would be the best bet from the 2011 british signings, based on how Rodgers has set up his teams in the past and how they try to play. I don't think that he is good going forward and the defensive side of his game is suspect to say the least, but he might be capable of becoming a good recycler style player in a team that favours possession play.

I think that Downing may struggle on the left side of a Rodger's team, but that he might do ok on the right side as he can cut inside onto his stronger foot.Would be my favourite to do least well under Rodgers as I don't think that he is offensive enough to provide a genuine outlet to possession play and I don't think he retains the ball well enough to maintain possession play.

Adam I cannot see doing any better than he did last season during the spell that he had Lucas beside him, but I don't see him being any worse either if the team as a whole buys into the way Rodgers sets up teams. Good squad player next season I think, but not good enough for regular first team duties. I think he excelled at Blackpool because he was in a team that other team's did not sit back against and as such he got a lot of extra time and space compared to what he gets and will get at Liverpool

Carroll I just don't see fitting well into a mobile front three, and I think he will look ponderous in such a system. But if it could be hammered into him to stay as far forward as possible at all times and to be in the 18 yard box during attacks, then I could see him having a better chance of succeeding than Downing but capable of being bettered by even an average striker who possess better movement and who is more mobile.

Aquilani would be my best bet to shine under Rodgers though, if Alberto gets to stay that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Adams, Adams, who the f**k is Adams!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think Downing will improve.

I disagree with Chucky that he wasn't good enough when we signed him.

Two main reasons:

1) Someone who is consistently one of Villa's best players wouldn't be far off a place in a Liverpool team at the moment (or when we bought him)

2) We were sorely lacking in that department anyway so anything should have been an improvement.

Obviously it has not worked out like that but he has been "doing it" (for want of a better, less absolute word) for years in the EPL and arguably just had his best season at Villa when we signed him.

I don't think that that talent completely disappears after one season.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Do we? Wouldn't they have to buy us out to sell him, like with Borini?

I would have thought that to be the case but not sure. It's pretty common for Sporting to not own players outright as financially they are struggling. Lots of Sporting players are also part owned by some sort of football investment companies.

It came out during the Teixeira transfer that when Insua joined Sporting got 50% of the rights to the player but initially did not pay anything to us. That amount owned of 700k was paid as part of the deal when Joao Carlos transferred to us. Sporting also sold a further 15% of Insua to one of the investment management agencies for 525k recently, messy stuff.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

noodler wrote: »
    I think Downing will improve.

I disagree with Chucky that he wasn't good enough when we signed him.

Two main reasons:

1) Someone who is consistently one of Villa's best players wouldn't be far off a place in a Liverpool team at the moment (or when we bought him)

2) We were sorely lacking in that department anyway so anything should have been an improvement.

Obviously it has not worked out like that but he has been "doing it" (for want of a better, less absolute word) for years in the EPL and arguably just had his best season at Villa when we signed him.

I don't think that that talent completely disappears after one season.
    Downing was good at Villa not great
    he has always been a very conservative winger just happy to cross the ball
    doesn't have much trikery or skill

opr wrote: »
    I would have thought that to be the case but not sure. It's pretty common for Sporting to not own players outright as financially they are struggling. Lots of Sporting players are also part owned by some sort of football investment companies.

It came out during the Teixeira transfer that when Insua joined Sporting got 50% of the rights to the player but initially did not pay anything to us. That amount owned of 700k was paid as part of the deal when Joao Carlos transferred to us. Sporting also sold a further 15% of Insua to one of the investment management agencies for 525k recently, messy stuff.

Opr

Sorry I asked! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

does anyone think we may have paid a "small fee" to an unnamed club to make a bid for joe allen so that we are allowed to go and bid for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Because we replaced him with a nothing replacement. I've answered this already today. If you're going to sack a living legend who took you to two cup finals it should be because you have a demonstrably superior replacement lined up. Instead we got Brendan ****ing Rodgers.

You're getting tiresome at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Brendan ****ing Rodgers?

Why that? It's not his fault he was chosen and accepted the position. At least get behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Finical wrote: »
    Brendan ****ing Rodgers?

Why that? It's not his fault he was chosen and accepted the position. At least get behind him.

Theyll be behind him if were winning and if not theyll be on this thread quoting themselves telling us all how they were spot on. Its a win win situation really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

donfers wrote: »
    does anyone think we may have paid a "small fee" to an unnamed club to make a bid for joe allen so that we are allowed to go and bid for him

Yeah, and we've bribed all the refs next year at a price of two packets of Tayto and a can of Fanta.

Our year.

joe123 wrote: »
    You're getting tiresome at this stage.

Good.
    Theyll be behind him if were winning and if not theyll be on this thread quoting themselves telling us all how they were spot on. Its a win win situation really.

Me:

- behind Benitez when winning or losing;
    - against Hodgson from the start;
    - behind Dalglish when winning or losing;
    - against Rodgers from the start;

You:

- behind whoever to start with;
    - against whoever when the going gets tough;

I prefer my position for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Good.

Me:

You:

Possibly the most stupid post I've ever read on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Good.

Me:

You:

Yet hilariously accurate! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Good.

Me:

You:

Yet hilariously accurate! :D

It's not accurate, its bollix of the highest order.
    Being 'against' Rodgers doesn't make any sense at all.

Thinking he's a bad appointment is fair enough but being 'against' him is petty, nonsensical, trite, tedious, wankish tosspottery.

The 2 of ye are scrambling for a moral highground that doesn't exist.

Ye seem to think nobody else was fully behind Rafa or Kenny. While trying to try a line in the sand that if someone is supportive of Rodgers they were against the aforementioned duo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Tosspottery. There's a word you don't read every day.

I don't care about Brendan Rodgers. I feel as much towards him as I do the thousands upon thousands of professional football coaches around the world who do not deserve to manage one of the greatest clubs in the world.

What I am against is what Rodger's appointment represents: a gross lowering of expectations and standards.

As to this:
    Ye seem to think nobody else was fully behind Rafa or Kenny. While trying to try a line in the sand that if someone is supportive of Rodgers they were against the aforementioned duo.

Would you deny that:

- in terms of a majority, this thread wanted Benitez gone in 2009 / 10;
    - in terms of a majority, Hodgson's appointment was well received in this thread (which I proved with a quote fest on the day Rodgers was appointed) and that there was a general sense of optimism this time two years ago;
    - in terms of a majority, this thread turned on Kenny for the last few months of last season;
    - in terms of a majority, this thread believes Brendan Rodgers to represent an upgrade when compared to Kenny Dalglish;

?

All companies and organisations suffer hard times as people change, get old, etc and it is impossible to freeze time. But such hard times represent terminal decline when people aligned to such entities allow themselves to forget what was once the status quo or give up fighting to restore it because it seems too damn hard.

When the majority of our fanbase are exuding optimism in a summer where Brendan Rodgers has been appointed and we are unlikely to sign any players above the ~£10m mark (when there are needs everywhere), we're in the **** big time. Irrelevancy beckons imo.

• Advertisement

Britain and Brazil olympic teams play tonight in a friendly at 7.45. Good chance to see Allen in action if he starts.

Opr

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement