Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

djPSB wrote: »
    What's the expectations for the season?

5th would be a good finish IMO.

I think it is more likely that we will finish 6th or 7th.

I think the most important thing is, that regardless of where we finish, Rodgers is given at least two seasons before he is judged.

P.S I also thought Kenny should have been given another season. Stability is key at this stage.

A couple of cup runs and even some silverware would be nice, and maybe bedding in some of new players to a new style .

Oh wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think the most important thing is, that regardless of where we finish, Rodgers is given at least two seasons before he is judged.

P.S I also thought Kenny should have been given another season. Stability is key at this stage.

Geez that would mean we had same set of results as last season,No one will stand for that,
    No improvement, A slight improvement means we will be in top 4 easily,
    We we're only 13pts off it last season,
    And considering the 30pts we should of had last season due to not been able to score with 50 chances per game!!!!!!
    If we can sort the goal scoring we will be up there,
    3rd!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Leiva wrote: »
    A couple of cup runs and even some silverware would be nice, and maybe bedding in some of new players to a new style .

Oh wait....

I feel this attitude has swept the club, An expectation of been crap in the league,Hope Brendan lets players know whats most important,And will react with force to players not giving it all,
    Kenny never blamed players, But we did see a lot of poor displays in our awful run of results last season,
    No fight, It was ok, another loss, Next game,
    We lose again, Ok,
    I want to see a reaction on side lines!!!!
    Players been dragged off pitch,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Improvement for most people would be a better brand of football. It's been pretty poor for a few seasons. Better home form. A proper race for 4th. 15 points back is not good enough. Has to be the aim to atleast compete for the champions league spots for any team with Liverpool's ambitions.

Personally, I think Rodgers will do it. I quite like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Geez that would mean we had same set of results as last season,No one will stand for that,
    And considering the 30pts we should of had last season due to not been able to score with 50 chances per game!!!!!!
    3rd!!

You think we're the 3rd best team in the league?

Stop will ya.

The bookies are offering 2/1 on a top 4 finish which says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This season im hoping for 6th with some small silverware (carling cup)?

Next season is our season tho!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

3rd!!

Thats a fantasy and false logic finish

United are better than us.
    City are better than us.
    Chelsea are better than us.
    Arsenal are better than us.
    Spurs are better than us.

To finish above any of them, would be an achievement.

The biggest indication to me will be how many games players like Spearing and Adam play. If they play 20+ games again this season, we will struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think 5th would be very good and a good run in the Europa, throw out the younger players and reserves for the league and fa cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He hasn't done anything to deserve respect.

Eh....he's just become manager of Liverpool FC. That deserves respect.

City are better than us.

The biggest indication to me will be how many games players like me Spearing and Adam play. If they play 20+ games again this season, we will struggle.

Wait......what? You play for LFC.......:confused::P

NukaCola wrote: »
    City are better than us.

The biggest indication to me will be how many games players like me Spearing and Adam play. If they play 20+ games again this season, we will struggle.

Wait......what? You play for LFC.......:confused::P

Hi my name is Jordan. (fixes hair)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Hi my name is Jordan. (fixes hair)

there's finally a bird in the thread. ex-cell-ent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Last year was our chance I think, with Chelsea and Arsenal having a shocking first few months and Tottenham sh*tting the bed. But even a 4th place finish offered no Champions League football.

This coming season looks even bleaker. Chelsea have made some frankly amazing additions and look set up for the next few years, player wise. Arsenal have strengthened their attacking options with Govou and Podolski, are about to sign Cazorla and look like they could get Sahin too. United and City have added too but have been relatively quiet so far, but we're talking about the best squad in the Premier League and a team that simply can't be written off, and either of them could add Robin van Persie. And if AVB can do at Spurs what he couldn't do at Chelsea, namely get them playing like Porto, then they'll be serious contenders for the top 4.

Meanwhile we're apparently selling before we can buy, shifting out the high earners in spite of their abilities and if certain sources can be believed:
    a) yet to offer our best defender a new deal having left him out of a European tie amid interest from clubs who've finished higher than us and
    b) put our record signing on the market knowing the only club he'd like to join that would be interested in him are the club at which he was previously unplayable and who finished 13 points ahead of us last year.

The league is incredibly competitive, and on the evidence thus far, we are not. I expect us to finish 6th/7th, and that's very very depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Why are some people here so certain that Agger will leave/wants to leave/ or that we will sell him. If we sell him it should only be on the condition that he is replaced by someone as good. The problem is that any players as good as him would not pick Liverpool over any of the other top teams in europe.
    If FSG see this as a money grabbing opportunity and not reinvest that in to the team then they are slowly but surely becoming H&G Mk II. :(
    Which brings me on to FSG.
    I'd say we have spent 120m on transfers since the arrival of FSG, Under both Dalglish & Rodgers.
    With Loan fee's included at a minimum we have received around 97m in transfer fees since the arrival of FSG.
    A net transfer spend of around 23m, factor in the wages saved on players then the club has profited around 14.5m
    Someone please correct me if this is wrong.
    There was a post earlier saying that for Liverpool to get back up winning trophies we need some rich arabs or similar to buy the club. I think that is sad but true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Why are some people here so certain that Agger will leave/wants to leave/ or that we will sell him. If we sell him it should only be on the condition that he is replaced by someone as good. The problem is that any players as good as him would not pick Liverpool over any of the other top teams in europe.
    If FSG see this as a money grabbing opportunity and not reinvest that in to the team then they are slowly but surely becoming H&G Mk II. :(
    Which brings me on to FSG.
    I'd say we have spent 120m on transfers since the arrival of FSG, Under both Dalglish & Rodgers.
    With Loan fee's included at a minimum we have received around 97m in transfer fees since the arrival of FSG.
    A net transfer spend of around 23m, factor in the wages saved on players then the club has profited around 14.5m
    Someone please correct me if this is wrong.
    There was a post earlier saying that for Liverpool to get back up winning trophies we need some rich arabs or similar to buy the club. I think that is sad but true

H&G weren't c*nts because they wouldn't give us enough money for transfers, they were c*nts because they nearly forced us into administration and out of existence with their incompetence.

I have no problem having the club run at a sustainable level. We should only be behind Utd, Chelsea and City if we do that. Arsenal, Spurs and whoever else can't match our financial clout (although Arsenal's stadium probably brings them close and their developed youth academy gives them free squad players and the odd gem so it'll be quite a while before we can consistently out-perform them).

If a rich arab bought us in the morning, I'd probably be excited for a while but it's like playing a game with the money cheat on. I'd get bored and probably stop following football after a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Pity to see Bellamy leaving. He was quality for us last season. Difficult to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

jenno86 wrote: »

Newcastle or nothing, then. £35m please, Mr. Ashley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Manchester evening paper saying City have upped their bid for Agger to £18m.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was never on the cards imho. Could not imagine the guy being able to settle in London given that trying to settle in Liverpool has seemed to be too great a distance from Newcastle for him.

Can see Newcastle dragging it out until the last day of the transfer window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

opr wrote: »

Opr

He's a goner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Opr

We would be insane to let him go at that price. IF he does "demand" out, they will definitely pay £25 million to get him.

We need to play hardball more during transfer negotiations. If we decide we are not going to buy the likes of Sigurdsson because the fee is too high, or his wages too high, it must work the other way too and demand a fee we feel is value to ourselves, not the buyer. I can't see Agger demanding out, but if he does we should accept no less than £25mil (arguably more) and if they will not pay it, he stays, end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I can't see Agger demanding out, but if he does we should accept no less than £25mil (arguably more) and if they will not pay it, he stays, end of story.

If Agger does ask for a transfer, if he wants to go, but City don't meet the valuation, would you be happy for him to play a prominent role next season irregardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

Opr

£18 million is too low, considering what they paid to get lescott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

is Bellamy definetly leaving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Des wrote: »
    If Agger does ask for a transfer, if he wants to go, but City don't meet the valuation, would you be happy for him to play a prominent role next season irregardless?

Well it seems to work for Spurs. They've held onto Modric longer than I had expected and look to do so again unless someone meets their "inflated" valuation.

Eziz Allamov ‏@Ezizallamov Pepe Reina, Daniel Agger, and Luis Suárez named in Liverpool's squad for Europa League game against Gomel.

But
    Jamie ‏@LFC_Jamie @Ezizallamov If we play Agger, would he be cup-tied for champions league with Man City?
    Eziz Allamov Eziz Allamov ‏@Ezizallamov @LFC_Jamie - No, he wouldn't.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

MD1990 wrote: »
    is Bellamy definetly leaving?

Almost certainly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I feel this attitude has swept the club, An expectation of been crap in the league,Hope Brendan lets players know whats most important,And will react with force to players not giving it all,
    Kenny never blamed players, But we did see a lot of poor displays in our awful run of results last season,
    No fight, It was ok, another loss, Next game,
    We lose again, Ok,
    I want to see a reaction on side lines!!!!
    Players been dragged off pitch,

That's not really true. Dalglish went banannas on a few different occasions last season & in no uncertain terms told the players through the media that either they improved or they were gone.

We're gonna get bent over a barrell by the end of the window.

• Advertisement

i can't understand gettin rid of Bellamy
    we badley need 2 Wingers along with a striker & a CM
    maybe a LB as well

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

maybe a LB as well

Is it us pushing him out or is he moving for family reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Des wrote: »

Regardless or irrespectively, never irregardless

Agger will knuckle down if he stays.

skydish79 wrote: »
    he was our best Attacking player along with Suarez last season
    i just read on Sky that it is for family reasons
    looks like Joe Cole will be gettin plenty of gametime this season :(

Family reasons my absolute bollox

Sky Sports understands Liverpool are considering selling Manchester City target Daniel Agger to raise funds for other signings. #LFC #MCFC
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7968559/Reds-to-consider-Agger-sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

skydish79 wrote: »

I doubt it would be family reasons. However considering his age I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to move for first team football.

Sky Sports understands Liverpool are considering selling Manchester City target Daniel Agger to raise funds for other signings. #LFC #MCFC

Swansea must be rubbing their hands together :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Mr Alan wrote: »
    That's not really true. Dalglish went banannas on a few different occasions last season & in no uncertain terms told the players through the media that either they improved or they were gone.

He quite rightfully slated them after the Bolton game where we were absolutely appalling. Gerrard and Adam together in CM and the likes of Davies just pissed through us. Was a truly depressing game to watch.

• Advertisement

Financial sense, injury record yada, yada, yada. I'm not oblivious and I'm infact keenly aware of the constraints under which we operate but guess what I'm a football fan first and a huge fan of Agger. Leaving all the other nonsense aside it will really hurt if he leaves.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7968559/Reds-to-consider-Agger-sale

Kess Sports understands that Sky Sports often put utter shyte on their site to generate hits.

maybe a LB as well

We signed him on a free. He's likely on fairly high wages. Cardiff have recently been taken over and can likely afford to take him on. Given his drop-off in performances last season and the well-publicised issues he has with his knees, it might be the case that we'd be better off selling him.

There's also the bust-up he had with Dempsey at Craven Cottage last season too. Hopefully that's not a factor though.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Kess Sports understands that Sky Sports often put utter shyte on their site to generate hits.

While you're right, all the signs re: Agger aren't looking good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I cannot comprehend the sale of Agger to raise funds. At least half of his fee would need to be put straight back into another center half, who in all honestly will probably be on inferior quality.

Its madness and a serious blot on FSG and Rodger's in my book if it does go ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What's madness is people believing sky and their "sources"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Northampton have signed another Liverpool Academy prospect for the season. Anyone heard of, or have opinion on Henoc Mukendi? Hoping he will do a job for the Cobblers anyway!

Sappy404 wrote: »
    We signed him on a free. He's likely on fairly high wages. Cardiff have recently been taken over and can likely afford to take him on. Given his drop-off in performances last season and the well-publicised issues he has with his knees, it might be the case that we'd be better off selling him

People can justify any sale we could make, but unless we replace these players & well, we're going backwards fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

If Agger is sold, it's only because we need the funds to complete the signings of Cavani and Hummels

Right?

If Agger is sold, it's only because we need the funds to complete the signings of Cavani and Hummels

Right?

Loan deal for messi also dont forget :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

if it's a choice between selling agger or carroll to raise funds to bring four or five in then it is carroll every time

the problem is he turned down the west ham move and newcastle will casually make a lowball offer to loan him on the last day of the window, ashley has us by the balls there so it seems agger may well be the victim of the carroll fiasco as we can get cash for him now

i wonder who we have lined up to replace agger, amorebieta is a better option than williams for me but neither or in agger's class, then again we need someone to make sure carra doesn't play too many games

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement