Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Melion wrote: »
    What's madness is people believing sky and their "sources"

I'm not believing Sky Sports. If this story had only come from them, and them alone, then it would be an absolute non runner.

The fact it, theres a lot of noise about this Agger transfer and it is a culmination of things that have led me to feeling less than uneasy about Liverpool's stance with regard to keeping him.

I don't think its a case where Agger will force a move, far from it. In fact, its been said on here and by countless others about how blunt and honest a guy he comes across as. I believe him when he says he's happy to stay at Liverpool. It's Liverpool's agenda that I am now worried about.

I do find it very hard to believe that Rodgers would want to sell Agger though. You would think he is his absolute ideal center half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Mr Alan wrote: »
    People can justify any sale we could make, but unless we replace these players & well, we're going backwards fast.

Agreed. The 'one in, one out' policy that the club have reportedly put in place (reported on Saturday) would suggest that we're replacing him. Probably with Dempsey. Hopefully we have a winger or two lined up though, because we're running out of time if not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sky Sports understands Liverpool are considering selling Manchester City target Daniel Agger to raise funds for other signings. #LFC #MCFC
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7968559/Reds-to-consider-Agger-sale

vomit.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Northampton have signed another Liverpool Academy prospect for the season. Anyone heard of, or have opinion on Henoc Mukendi? Hoping he will do a job for the Cobblers anyway!

Don't expect too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't think its a case where Agger will force a move, far from it. In fact, its been said on here and by countless others about how blunt and honest a guy he comes across as. I believe him when he says he's happy to stay at Liverpool. It's Liverpool's agenda that I am now worried about.

lol. You'd think after Torres people would learn.

Also, just remembered that Kelly was played at CB in the closed door match the other day. Maybe that was Rodgers checking the level of cover he would have for the CB position if indeed one of Skrtel or Agger were sold.

</conspiracy shite>

Personally, I don't really see Kelly as first team CB for Liverpool. I think Rafa found his ideal place when he moved him to RB and tbh, I think that's where he's gonna spend the majority of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Melion wrote: »
    Northampton have signed another Liverpool Academy prospect for the season. Anyone heard of, or have opinion on Henoc Mukendi? Hoping he will do a job for the Cobblers anyway!

Don't expect too much

D'oh! Although expectation in League 2 are a touch lower than Liverpool!

Not really comparable situations I would have thought. For at least 6 months to a year before Torres was sold he seemed disillusioned both on and off the pitch.

It was the joining Chelsea part that infuriated most people.

Agger on the other hand seems very settled in Liverpool and was immense last year for us. Also, he has a history of speaking his mind and taking no bull****. I would hold his word higher than most professional players, which may not be saying much admittedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Swansea must be rubbing their hands together :(
    please god we don't sign Williams from Swansea
    not a bad defender but he will be overpriced

IF we do end up having to buy a new CB, can we please stay far away from anyone in the PL.

Mbwia looks like he may be off to Milan unless we scupper that deal, but in all likelihood its not feasible.

Lugano didn't have the best of seasons at PSG did he? Could be an option to sign on the cheap. He's dog slow thought so that would be my main worry. More of a replacement for a Carra rather than an Agger. People may not realise it but Skrtel is one of the quicker CB in the league, maybe he could make up for Lugano's shortcomings in that regard.

Christ, can't believe I've even started posting about replacements for all this shite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

While you're right, all the signs re: Agger aren't looking good

Sky sports and others have been pumping out lots of lines of Agger to City and Agger to Barca. All with no quotes whatsoever.

But the actual quotes from the player himself about how he would sit down and discuss a new contract seem to be ignored.

Hell the Mail ran a story in the last few days with a line claiming that "sources" said the player was interested in moving elsewhere, yet the same rag had an article a month ago (which contained direct quotes from a tv interview that Agger gave in June) about how Agger was looking to extend his stay at Liverpool and how the player had no interest in going elsewhere.

People can believe what they like from various media outlets, but I will always take direct quotes from a player or manager as carrying far more weight than that of some unverified article from Sky, the Mail etc that contain no quotes and comes from an unnamed "source".

Never ceases to amaze me that so many people just take what they read in a tabloid or see hear on Sky Sports as fact. Sure people can take it onboard and apply the no smoke without fire line of logic to it, but unverified articles are no more valid than the musings of anyone on here who makes the effort to look at something in detail and comes up with some logical possible outcomes.

Some rumours I will pay attention to more than others due to the track records of those passing on the info, but generic shyte from Sky and it's ilk is normally nowt more than filler designed to generate hits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Also, just remembered that Kelly was played at CB in the closed door match the other day. Maybe that was Rodgers checking the level of cover he would have for the CB position if indeed one of Skrtel or Agger were sold.

</conspiracy shite>

An even crazier notion is that we had no one else to play there as Carragher and Skrtel had played 90 mins in the EL and Coates was at the Olympics :O

An even crazier notion is that we had no one else to play there as Carragher and Skrtel had played 90 mins in the EL and Coates was at the Olympics :O

True, unless he wanted to play Sama or Wisdom.

Like I said though, I wouldn't be as quick as others on here who say the see Kelly as a starting CB for us in the future, regardless of his underage history there.

The thing is that there have been far more unverified articles and stories that never came true that people were more than happy to swallow and regurgitate as fact than there has been direct quotes from players.

So maybe the LOL would be better served for those who wet their pants at every tabloid headline that comes along. After all you would think that people would know better than to treat every quoteless article as being based in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

True, unless he wanted to play Sama or Wisdom.

Like I said though, I wouldn't be as quick as others on here who say the see Kelly as a starting CB for us in the future, regardless of his underage history there.

I agree, I would see him as backup for Johnson and eventually a replacement providing he keeps on improving. He could act as pretty good cover for CB if we were short on options

Kess73 wrote: »
    The thing is that there have been far more unverified articles and stories that never came true that people were more than happy to swallow and regurgitate as fact than there has been direct quotes from players.

So maybe the LOL would be better served for those who wet their pants at every tabloid headline that comes along. After all you would think that people would know better than to treat every quoteless article as being based in fact.

You'd also think people would know better than to take what an agent/player says at face value considering how often they lie. There has been to many rumours and stories about Agger leaving for me to believe it's all made up. If think it is all bull than fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

IF
    Lugano didn't have the best of seasons at PSG did he? Could be an option to sign on the cheap. He's dog slow thought so that would be my main worry. More of a replacement for a Carra rather than an Agger. People may not realise it but Skrtel is one of the quicker CB in the league, maybe he could make up for Lugano's shortcomings in that regard.

Lugano's biggest shortcoming is that hes 31.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I doubt many will have seen a great deal of him. He hasn't played very much at U18 for Liverpool. I watch a good deal of youth football and have hardly seen the lad. From the odd game he has played he's tall, strong with an awkward running style who's massive for his age. I was surprised when he he got a pro contract a few months back seeing as he had featured so little at U18 level for the club.

If you want to have a look he starts this game and scores two goals.

Opr

You'd also think people would know better than to take what an agent/player says at face value considering how often they lie. There has been to many rumours and stories about Agger leaving for me to believe it's all made up. If think it is all bull than fair enough.

And when a player has a track record of what he says being what he does, then one would think that people would be intelligent enough to be able to spot this.

Agger has said a number of things in public since he joined the club and has the happy habit of following through with what he has said. That earns him the benefit of the doubt with me, especially over articles about him that contain no quotes whatsover.

Granted there have been Liverpool players over the years that have shown that their word in public does not mean a whole lot. We only have to look at comments from the likes of Owen, Gerrard, and Torres to find examples of players who made public comments as Liverpool players only to do something very different in reality, but how good or bad a player's word is directly linked to their actions, and Agger to date has been sound in that regard.

• Advertisement

Learn what? That because Torres left after reports suggested he wanted to leave that Agger wants out too, despite the lack of reports saying he wants to leave?

It's my feeling that a decent offer made for him above his market value will see him sold, but the two situations are not comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

opr wrote: »
    Financial sense, injury record yada, yada, yada. I'm not oblivious and I'm infact keenly aware of the constraints under which we operate but guess what I'm a football fan first and a huge fan of Agger. Leaving all the other nonsense aside it will really hurt if he leaves.

Opr
    His departure will just confirm where this club is headed - this summer is really underlining our slide towards irrelevancy.

And when a player has a track record of what he says being what he does, then one would think that people would be intelligent enough to be able to spot this.

Agger has said a number of things in public since he joined the club and has the happy habit of following through with what he has said. That earns him the benefit of the doubt with me, especially over articles about him that contain no quotes whatsover.

Granted there have been Liverpool players over the years that have shown that their word in public does not mean a whole lot. We only have to look at comments from the likes of Owen, Gerrard, and Torres to find examples of players who made public comments as Liverpool players only to do something very different in reality, but how good or bad a player's word is directly linked to their actions, and Agger to date has been sound in that regard.

Like what?

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Learn what? That because Torres left after reports suggested he wanted to leave that Agger wants out too, despite the lack of reports saying he wants to leave?

It's my feeling that a decent offer made for him above his market value will see him sold, but the two situations are not comparable.

Would learn to believe that a player is "honest" and a man of his word based on watching him on tv and short sound bites.

Would learn to believe that a player is "honest" and a man of his word based on watching him on tv and short sound bites.

Let me clarify: there are no reports saying Agger wants to leave. The reports are suggesting that club want to sell him if the price is right. This is completely different from the Torres situation, when the reports suggested that the player wanted the move.

I'm not saying he won't have his head turned by the wages, or that he definitely wants to stay - again, I think he could well be sold. What I am saying is that there is no reason whatsoever to think that this situation has arisen because Agger is trying to force a move. None.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Really though, that Sky Sports quote is nothing.

If they have received an offer for Agger of course they would consider it and what else would they do with the money?
    Slow news day for them I think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

liverpool to sign six by august 31

those six will be allen, dempsey, afellay (loan), tello (loan), amorebieta, de vries

agger and bellamy will depart and possibly a few loans

not bad, not great we'll probably pip newcastle to sixth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I don't think that Rodgers is stupid enough to allow his only football playing centre back to be sold. Its not Roy Hodgson we're talking about here. If he does then he can go fcuk himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Arsenal win nothing. Our dreams should be much bigger. Too much talk of emulating Spurs and Arsenal on here - they lose year in, year out - it's just a different form of losing.

Well. They lose less than us at the moment so it wouldn't be a bad thing if we could emulate them and challenge for the Champion's league at least. Don't get me wrong, I would love another title challenge having only experienced one in my lifetime, however we must walk before we can run no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

donfers wrote: »

those six will be allen, dempsey, afellay (loan), tello (loan), amorebieta, de vries

I sooner have the six numbers for the lotto.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I don't think that Rodgers is stupid enough to allow his only football playing centre back to be sold. Its not Roy Hodgson we're talking about here. If he does then he can go fcuk himself.

I might be wrong here, but I read recently that Moneyball dictates that if you receive above market value for a player, you sell. If this is how FSG are going about things, £18m (the reported latest bid AFAIK) for an injury-plagued centre half could see him sold, depending on their valuation.

Frankly I think we'd be mad to sell any valued player to anybody who's likely to finish ahead of or around us next season. It would fly in the face of any stated ambition the club is said to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Where's this from? We just posting random rumours with no sources here now?

• Advertisement

This is the second time in possibly two weeks where you've come in and stated stuff like this as fact and then fcuked off without providing any source or conversation.

CL7 wrote: »
    Where's this from? We just posting random rumours with no sources here now?

Thats the name of the thread.
    :cool: Deal with it....

I hope for the sake of this thread that we sign someone soon.......and for the sake of my sanity

NukaCola wrote: »

Ahh c'mon, this place is mental enough without people at least putting up the source of their rumours.

Anfield Cat is preggers after shock sex change. Our year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

NukaCola wrote: »

Yeah but usually a source is given, no? Otherwise the thread is just a ****fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Cristian Tello isnt in Barca's 1st team squad for next season
    he could be an option to get on loan

Ahh c'mon, this place is mental enough without people at least putting up the source of their rumours.

True.....but to be honest, does anything need a source any more?....they are all liars or have no clue whats going on anyway....but i take your point, it would be mental if we all started coming up with rumours....although IMO no less credable :D
    CL7 wrote: »
    Otherwise the thread is just a ****fest.

Its been like this for a while unfortunatly :(

So you're going with this right?

And heres your last attempt at clairvoyancey .
    all been transfer listed apparently

pacheco is going on a free to celtic

Must of missed that one.
    a deal to loan suso to granada for the season, he is homesick

Similarly, I've heard feck all on this one also.
    and aquilani is also available on a free, panathanikos and fenerhbace trying to agree deals to sign him, wages a problem

Fairly sure he's off with Fiorentina in sunny Italy.

I may well be coming across as harsh here, but in fairness, if you're gonna come in here and state things in such a matter of fact way, at least provide a source or a reason as to why you believe it.

Where is that from?

Some odd choices in that list of six.

Do you mean de Vries as Mark de Vries or is it a misspelling of de Vrij as in Stefan de Vrij? Big difference as one is a 36/37 year old journeyman and the other is a 20 year old centre back.

If you mean the latter, de Vrij, then it would seem very odd to be in for both him and Amorebieta

• Advertisement

If we sign Mark de Vries it will be our most pointless signing since Pellegrino.

Like what?

Well it is not the first time that there have been rumours of him living, and the last two times he came out and stated he wanted to stay at Liverpool and he stayed.

He was also spot on with regards signing a contract extension and his comments on it were backed up with him signing when he said he would.

If one wanted to be a little facetious, it could be said that he was also spot on about the style of football favoured by the manager who never was.:)

But basically what I am saying is that the guy does not say very much to the media, but when he does it tends to be proven not to be lip service.

I took your Rick Roll more seriously than I took the rumours of us signing Quaresma.

Where is that from?

Some odd choices in that list of six.

Do you mean de Vries as Mark de Vries or is it a misspelling of de Vrij as in Stefan de Vrij? Big difference as one is a 36/37 year old journeyman and the other is a 20 year old centre back.

If you mean the latter, de Vrij, then it would seem very odd to be in for both him and Amorebieta

it's dorus de vries, wolves keeper

list is my best guess based on cumulative speculation from variety of cources

Ahh totally forgot about the back up keeper at Wolves.

A bit of context wouldn't go amiss next time.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    A bit of context wouldn't go amiss next time.

can't be bothered mate, i don't take this thread as seriously as you do - deal with it

it's a speculation thread, not a legal document

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

can't be bothered mate, i don't take this thread as seriously as you do - deal with it

it's a speculation thread, not a legal document

The point of this forum is to have a discussion. That's impossible if you just spew out thoughts without any background.

"This is what I think ..."
    "I read this today ..."
    "Rumour has it that ..."

It's not difficult

The point of this forum is to have a discussion. That's impossible if you just spew out thoughts without any background.

"This is what I think ..."
    "I read this today ..."
    "Rumour has it that ..."

It's not difficult

what's your source for that?

• Advertisement

Tbh mate, that's a fairly ignorant stance/post, and I do not believe you to be an ignorant person.

It's a mere matter of respect for fellow posters to state where your getting your info from rather than just coming in and posting the likes of:

"Rodgers given transfer kitty of 2m and a packet of Mighty Munch. Will sell Gerrard for 10m and a packet of Noodles in order to raise funds and improve eating habits"

without providing a source or any hint of conversation/opinion behind the post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement