Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

maybe Agger has a serious underlying injury they've hidden enough for him to pass a medical

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

El Spearo wrote: »
    maybe Agger has a serious underlying injury they've hidden enough for him to pass a medical

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Mr Alan wrote: »
    No. And that failure was nothing to do with player contracts/wages so I've no idea what you're talking about to be fair.

But you said you wanted them to be ambitious. Ambition costs money. Our owners aren't Oil barrons looking for a hobby. Everything they have done so far has been pretty smart and it has a purpose. Anfield/new stadium won't be cheap, we need to get the money from somewhere and financing it long term will be a lot easier if we are smart with our finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Cash plus Johnson plus Guidetti plus Adebayor on loan would get my interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

noodler wrote: »
    Still waiting for some sign from Agger himself, will be interesting to see if goes the same way as Alonso, Torres, Raul and Masch in actually demanding a move.

We've gotten the sign already. Him saying he wants to stay recently enough & his agent saying they'd be interested in sitting down for a new contract in the last few days but that we've made no move to.

He may well want out now however considering we're seemingly whoring him around. In which case City can sit tight & we're in a catch 22. Again.
    El Spearo wrote: »

Ah here! What levels of delusion are we stooping to in order to convince ourselves this isn't a retarded move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Big Knox wrote: »
    If Rodgers is being put in a position where he's being told he has to sell to buy then he could be up against a wall and thinks his best option is to cash in on Agger to get the attacking options he needs.

Now I know this in itself would seem crazy as pointed out Agger is the perfect CB for rodgers style but the way it is, our current squad are nowherre near top4 material right now and he could be making a gamble on cashing in on Agger hoping Coates can step up with Carragher doing the job for the season while strengthening elsewhere.

And just to be clear I'm just putting this out there as a possibility and I do would not agree with it, Agger is on par with Suarez as our most important player right now!

If Rodgers has to sell to buy, why would he even take the job in the first place?

Doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

22 million would be a fair sum for a 27 years old who's great but injury strewn however it really does depend on the bigger picture - how the money going to be spent? Is this additional money or instead of summer net cash? Adam Johnson plus the 22 million wouldn't be the worst - a winger is needed. But in isolation this deal still looks tricky to say the least of it. Need some noise about a striker, a DM/CM (Joe Allen one presumes) and now a CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

djPSB wrote: »
    If Rodgers has to sell to buy, why would he even take the job in the first place?

Doesn't make sense.

Why not ? He is/was a nobody. Bad season with Swansea and his moment in the spotlight would have been over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

We've gotten the sign already. Him saying he wants to stay recently enough & his agent saying they'd be interested in sitting down for a new contract in the last few days but that we've made no move to.

He may well want out now however considering we're seemingly whoring him around. In which case City can sit tight & we're in a catch 22. Again.

Ah here! What levels of delusion are we stooping to in order to convince ourselves this isn't a retarded move!

Mr Alan...I have taken to assuming that you are probably beating off the most deluded of people regarding this transfer...my injury statement was indeed a joke, but i understand that many are nuts and may believe such as fact.

Yours faithfully
    El Spearo

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

mike65 wrote: »
    22 million would be a fair sum for a 27 years old who's great but injury strewn however it really does depend on the bigger picture - how the money going to be spent? Is this additional money or instead of summer net cash? Adam Johnson plus the 22 million wouldn't be the worst - a winger is needed. But in isolation this deal still looks tricky to say the least of it. Need some noise about a striker, a DM/CM (Joe Allen one presumes) and now a CB.

Surely we should be getting more than £22 million for agger considering thats what city paid for lescott

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Marca linking Liverpool with Sahin.
    The Mirror linking Liverpool with Tello.
    The Guardian linking Liverpool with Adam Johnson.

Haha come off it will you :rolleyes:
    But you said you wanted them to be ambitious. Ambition costs money. Our owners aren't Oil barrons looking for a hobby. Everything they have done so far has been pretty smart and it has a purpose. Anfield/new stadium won't be cheap, we need to get the money from somewhere and financing it long term will be a lot easier if we are smart with our finances.

I'm not asking for billions to be pumped in. But we've cut our wage bill by more than £15m annually this summer already. If we're aiming for averageness, there's no need for a new stadium etc.

Doesn't make sense.

Cause it's Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

daithijjj wrote: »
    What do you say when your chairman says 'we want to increase wages' and then do the opposite?. The cost cutting isn't needed in terms of overall running of the club. The cost cutting is needed because there are players at the club who are not deemed value for their wages.

LFC wages as a % of turnover was in the same bracket as Everton, Fulham and Birmingham City in 09/10, all clubs in the 60-70% bracket.

That made us the 6th most efficient club in the league, with 14 teams having a higher %.......ie, the cost cutting is not needed.

I think the chairman wants to pay big dosh to players that can be relied on and also who make a big contribution to the first 11..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I like Agger but to be honest, a £20m plus offer for him or cash plus Johnson deal would have to be very tempting.

He's 27 and injury prone and never played more than league games for us in a season.

People here writing the club, it's management and owners off here before any deals are concluded are completely over the top in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

So we get a massive jersey sponsorship from standard Chartered (hope they paid the full amount in advance because it looks like they are f****d), release 3 jerseys in the same season and get a big sponsorship from a car company. And yet it looks like we will have to sell our best defender to buy a few players!

Something stinks!

Its fairly obvious to some of us.

The Standard Chartered thing is gas altogether. I wonder if Ian Ayre is on the phone having a "robust conversation" with them about their conduct as an organisation..........dont often do this but.....LOL.

I thought it might take a window or two for folk to come around to what is happening now, could be just 4 weeks before a lot more move to the dark side with myself and a few others.

I said it in May that i believe the owners dont have a clue about football on the pitch and i believe the same today. I think they can maximise brand potential very well, maintaining that potential through on pitch ventures i have no trust at all.

As for patience with BR?, dont make me laugh. And this goes for some fans too, these owners dont have the 'stones' for patience on the pitch and neither do a lot of fans. A simple sacking of manager after manager is good enough for many to be appeased.

I have nothing against Brendan Rodgers, i like him. But fans need to wake the fk up to the big picture. Remember those 'arguments' about how much we could do with Alonso money?.......see Daniel Agger for reference very soon. I predict dilution of quality and a concentration of mid table mediocrity.

And just a short footnote, if/when Agger leaves, the true Skrtel will be back with a vengeance.

Haha come off it will you :rolleyes

never going to happen, but if we are trying to extract maximum value from city there are a couple of players we can try and nab

murpho999 wrote: »
    I like Agger but to be honest, a £20m plus offer for him or cash plus Johnson deal would have to be very tempting.

He's 27 and injury prone and never played more than league games for us in a season.

People here writing the club, it's management and owners off here before any deals are concluded are completely over the top in my opinion.

It reminds me too much of when Alonso left.

Still haven't replaced him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

mirror saying we'll take tello on loan

god help us - people will see a barcelona player and young spanish international signing and be excited but the guy is lightweight, not a great finisher and drifts out of games, if he is our exciting signing we are screwed, i'd say he'll play the first few games, be completely off the pace and bullied out of it and we'll hardly see him until the end of the loan, no way is he ready for premier league football - would be poor signing in my view despite the sexy pedigree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,513 ✭✭✭✭noodler

We are not going to get 20m PLUS Johnson who some in England rate at well over 10m.

They don't have the same need they did when they bid for Lescott so I don't think that particular comparison is valid.

• Advertisement

Haha come off it will you :rolleyes:

I'm not asking for billions to be pumped in. But we've cut our wage bill by more than £15m annually this summer already. If we're aiming for averageness, there's no need for a new stadium etc.

Doesn't make sense.

Cause it's Liverpool.

Why take a job with massive expectations with no money to improve?

Rodgers comes across as an intelligent person so I don't think he would join on them terms.

skydish79 wrote: »
    Surely we should be getting more than £22 million for agger considering thats what city paid for lescott

In 3 seasons at Everton Lescott played 112 PL games, in 6 and half season Agger has played 119.

£15m isn't enough. Our wage level is far to high for the position we finished in the league for the last 3 years. It's £5m more than Arsenal, £40m more than Spurs and over twice as much as Newcastle.

donfers wrote: »
    mirror saying we'll take tello on loan

god help us - people will see a barcelona player and young spanish international signing and be excited but the guy is lightweight, not a great finisher and drifts out of games, if he is our exciting signing we are screwed, i'd say he'll play the first few games, be completely off the pace and bullied out of it and we'll hardly see him until the end of the loan, no way is he ready for premier league football - would be poor signing in my view despite the sexy pedigree

Is he as good as Joe Cole?

mada999 wrote: »
    I think the chairman wants to pay big dosh to players that can be relied on and also who make a big contribution to the first 11..

Until the walk resembles the talk, it is just talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I volunteer to do a shift on suicide watch on the thread tonight

amiable wrote: »

Loans and swaps. Summary of recent rumours:

Sell good player, release good impact player, loan in or swap players who can't get a game elsewhere. Doesn't bode too well imo.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    amiable wrote: »

Loans and swaps. Summary of recent rumours:

Sell good player, release good impact player, loan in or swap players who can't get a game elsewhere. Doesn't bode too well imo.

Sahin would be one of our best players, whatever about the other two

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

In 3 seasons at Everton Lescott played 112 PL games, in 6 and half season Agger has played 119.

£15m isn't enough. Our wage level is far to high for the position we finished in the league for the last 3 years. It's £5m more than Arsenal, £40m more than Spurs and over twice as much as Newcastle.

In his last 2 years he has played 43 games , I know he is injury prone, but Lescott made it clear he wanted to leave Everton , Agger has said he wants to stay, and second Agger is a far better player

We sell him for £22, the trouble is finding a quality player who will want to come here

This makes no sense on any level other than fantasy. Our turnover was nearly 4 times what Newcastles was and 170% of what Spurs turned over in year before last.

Newcastle didnt play anything but league football for nearly the last 5 months of the season, im not having a dig at them but wait for the counter balance on that squad when it plays 3 time a week instead of once like we had to. And dont be telling me cups dont affect league form, the European champions finished 2 places above us, have wages to turnover 25% higher than us and have just spent spent spent since, far beyond whats coming in.

He would be, but loan deals are not where we should be aiming tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

If all this Agger business happens I'd be interested in how much Rodgers' hand was forced, if at all.

People shouldn't judge this window until this window is up though, imo.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »

He would be, but loan deals are not where we should be aiming tbh.

I've always thought loan-to-buy deals were excellent opportunities that we haven't exploited enough in the past.

If we could get loan deals for Sahin or Affelay they would be major coups. I don't expect either.

skydish79 wrote: »
    In his last 2 years he has played 43 games , I know he is injury prone, but Lescott made it clear he wanted to leave Everton , Agger has said he wants to stay, and second Agger is a far better player

We sell him for £22, the trouble is finding a quality player who will want to come here

Played 55% of PL games in the last two seasons, a very poor record which gets worse when you add in his other seasons. Also Agger has two years left on his contract which will add to his lower cost.

G.K. wrote: »
    People shouldn't judge this window until this window is up though, imo.

While I understand the sentiment, theres about 3 weeks left in the window. It's totally acceptable to pass comment on our business thus far & potential comings/goings we've been linked with.

At the minute it's looking like we'll be ending the season less;

Kuyt, Maxi, Bellamy, Aquilani, Carroll and Agger.

We're strongly linked with Allen & a deal is meant to be close.
    The Dempsey deal has seemingly gone very cold & Fulham have apparently said they're not interested.

We've also brought Joe Cole back into the fold & signed Borini.

Unless we do business of seismic proportions over a very short space of time, it's safe to say this window will have been horrendous. As bad as anyone could have feared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Adam Johnson my arse.

Also, City players are probably mostly on very good wages so taking players from them may not be a great idea. There is also the problem of motivating a player you just took from the league winners to a mid table team. Yea.

If we could get loan deals for Sahin or Affelay they would be major coups. I don't expect either.

So why mention them? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I think £22m is huge money for a player like Agger and you'd be mad not to take it. You'd get a capable replacement and a quality first teamer in another position for that.

While I understand the sentiment, theres about 3 weeks left in the window. It's totally acceptable to pass comment on our business thus far & potential comings/goings we've been linked with.

At the minute it's looking like we'll be ending the season less;

Kuyt, Maxi, Bellamy, Aquilani, Carroll and Agger.

We're strongly linked with Allen & a deal is meant to be close.
    The Dempsey deal has seemingly gone very cold & Fulham have apparently said they're not interested.

We've also brought Joe Cole back into the fold & signed Borini.

Unless we do business of seismic proportions over a very short space of time, it's safe to say this window will have been horrendous. As bad as anyone could have feared.

In fairness though the loss of Kuyt, Maxi & Aquilani is not really damaging is it?

daithijjj wrote: »
    This makes no sense on any level other than fantasy. Our turnover was nearly 4 times what Newcastles was and 170% of what Spurs turned over in year before last.

Newcastle didnt play anything but league football for nearly the last 5 months of the season, im not having a dig at them but wait for the counter balance on that squad when it plays 3 time a week instead of once like we had to. And dont be telling me cups dont affect league form, the European champions finished 2 places above us, have wages to turnover 25% higher than us and have just spent spent spent since, far beyond whats coming in.

Spurs revenue in 2011 was only £20m less ours was. Our Wages to turnover was again high than all 3 clubs. Ours being 70%, spurs 56%, Arsenal 55% and Newcastle being 61%.

So why mention them? :confused:

Because we have been linked to both

In fairness though the loss of Kuyt, Maxi & Aquilani is not really damaging is it?

Kuyt has been one of our best players over the last 5 years.

Maxi has been one of our most creative players the last couple of seasons.

Aquilani not so much.

• Advertisement

Sahin has been linked to teams far beyond where we are and any links to us have been tenuous at best & Affelay isn't going anywhere. Just because newspapers are stupid doesn't mean we need to follow suit.

Sahin has been linked to teams far beyond where we are and any links to us have been tenuous at best & Affelay isn't going anywhere. Just because newspapers are stupid doesn't mean we need to follow suit.

I'll check with you in future before I mention any player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

You mean the same papers and journos whose words are being taken by some as proof that Agger is being sold?

Aquilani not so much.

Kuyt is finished at the level we require.

Maxi scored a couple of good goals and could get into the box well but overall contribution to team was poor.

Highly over-rated on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The can have Agger for 15 million,
    If they promise to take Joe Cole too!!!!!!!!!

I'd be happy with that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,508 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Kuyt is finished at the level we require.

Maxi scored a couple of good goals and could get into the box well but overall contribution to team was poor.

Highly over-rated on this thread.

Kuyt will shine in the champions league this season,
    Only 31, Bit of a scapegoat, He's same Kuyt he always was,
    he was never going to shine in a crap team last season,
    Took the blame, Yet was only one giving it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Doesn't make sense.

We did speak to a few other managers. It's possible Rodgers accepted the circumstances before taking it and others didn't. I remember it being all but confirmed that Ayre had spoken to van Gaal at his home.

Perhaps not making the CL really hit FSG's plans for the club financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

cson wrote: »
    I think £22m is huge money for a player like Agger and you'd be mad not to take it. You'd get a capable replacement and a quality first teamer in another position for that.

It's not a bad deal considering his injury record and age. In fact it's a decent chunk of money.

But the fact is we WON'T be able to replace him sufficiently. There is no one out there we can attract that is the same level as Agger.

So we're looking at definitely weakening our defence if we sell him. No 2 ways about it.

The money starts to look a bit useless when you know you can't replace the player with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Aquilani not so much.

Kuyt was pretty much phased out for most of
    last season by Kenny. He is the only one of the three that I am sorry to see leave though.

Maxi got even less game time than Kuyt.

Aquilani was loaned out for the full season.

One new player in an attacking position who used as a first team regular would give the club more on pitch minutes than what the three you named managed between them last season.

• Advertisement

Spurs revenue in 2011 was only £20m less ours was. Our Wages to turnover was again high than all 3 clubs. Ours being 70%, spurs 56%, Arsenal 55% and Newcastle being 61%.

For that year only?. The only year they got in CL?. What will it be in 2012?....it will be similar ratio to what it was in 09/10. It was 118 when ours was 185. Incidentally, would you go to an LFC game if it cost you almost 100 euro just for the ticket?, thats what Spurs were charging for games.

Everyone knows our wages were high relative to position when KK took over. What people just are not getting is that those wages were perfectly fine to pay in terms of running the business, people are arguing a value for money argument that is not the point.

My point is, that the wages are fine, for the right players.......we are not going for those players, we are going for Borini's and Allen's who are on low wages and will take us nowhere fast. Its not to say they are bad players but they will not get you 4th........they might get you a nice result in the league like Newcastle got last year through lack of any other comps to play in. Thats where it ends.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement