Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 12/13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

So our fan base is basically a load of glory hunters? That's depressing to know. Our creditors who put Broughton and Purslow in charge, a clearly knowledgeable bunch then. The business was not more than capable of having that ratio if they wanted to move forward and expand.

Glory hunters?, where exactly do you get that from what you quoted me saying?.

Broughton and Purslow are perfectly capable individuals, the problem is you and people like you, who seem to follow like sheep any propaganda that's spoon fed to you.

During the time when Hodgson and Purslow were running things LFC remained in the black for the entirety but the propaganda is so entrenched in people now that even hearsay is rolled out to argue points. Purslow got plenty of hate because he was the one bringing bad news, such is life, thats what happens when things go tits up and the cowboys were not around to shout at.

Your last sentence is nonsense. It is well capable of paying the wages but seems to not want to, which is fine, just dont expect success, simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sigh,

Every morning i log on here and check facebook/twitter for the latest on how sh!tty Liverpool are doing in the Transfer market. Lately it seems that we're putting more time into removing players rather than strengthening our squad, and now we fight with smaller clubs over untested players. It makes me long for the old days when really amazing players were linked with us, now we cant even get them on loan.

I guess thats the reality i'm waking up to lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Agger is the only defender we have that i definatly wouldnt sell.....

If this goes through i would blame FSG.....no way Rodgers could be that ****ing stupid....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I asked for feck all except a season free of drama and controversy - but no even our sponsors can't get it right ..:o
    @StanChart: We reject the position + portrayal of facts from the NY State Department of Financial Services – pls see our statement: http://t.co/cRvb4vyO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rumors circulating soon to be outed that Chevrolet is actually just an elaborate front for a paedo ring.

#OurYear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Morning all. Wake up to see this!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7969852/Laudrup-No-cheap-Allen-deal

Absolute disgrace. No way is Allen worth over 20 million! I wouldn't be surprised if we paid that though....

Colemania wrote: »

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7969852/Laudrup-No-cheap-Allen-deal

Absolute disgrace. No way is Allen worth over 20 million! I wouldn't be surprised if we paid that though....

This is my favourite part

When asked about the possibility of an exchange, he (Laudrup) said: "If we could have (Luis) Suarez ...

:pac: Holy Moley!

Also doesnt Allen have a 15 mil release clause or something like that?....
    Decent player but for the money i would think there are better players available. All i can really say is if we cant get a player of Allens mould for less than or around 10 mil wtf are we paying scouts for....

I think he has a 15 Mil release clause in his contract.

But i think even over 11 million is too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

This is the way you shift a player & get maximum value in the process. We should be taking notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

If Swansea have a disappointing year under Laudrup and are relegated or close to it. Allen's value will be well under £10m next year. Hopefully, lfc apply a similar logic to this as they did to the Sig deal and walk away.

Everyone here believes they could get much better value for their money elsewhere in europe.
    I really hope they can make some progress this week.

Rodgers is quoting as saying that he hopes to have some deals done this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Let's play a new game. Those who are optimistic about the direction the club is currently headed (Chucky, whatawaster, Melion, Mike65, etc) provide us with bullet point reasons to share your positive outlook. I promise to keep an open mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

It took nearly 10 years for Liverpool to recover from Souness' 3 years in management. If we're to apply Laudrup's logic to Dalglish/Comolli's 3 months in the transfer market, Liverpool are doomed for a future of mid table mediocrity. Dalglish's second term, will make Souness look like Busby or Shankly

Maybe now, the emphasis has to come from the youth set up, because for the foreseeable future, the transfer market looks out of reach

flanzer wrote: »
    It took nearly 10 years for Liverpool to recover from Souness' 3 years in management. If we're to apply Laudrup's logic to Dalglish/Comolli's 3 months in the transfer market, Liverpool are doomed for a future of mid table mediocrity. Dalglish's second term, will make Souness look like Busby or Shankly

Maybe now, the emphasis has to come from the youth set up, because for the foreseeable future, the transfer market looks out of reach

We got Borrini for £10m

This is really ****ing simple folks. As always:

NO BRITISH PLAYERS

**** Joe Allen. Don't want him. Swansea can fist themselves. Go elsewhere with our money. Young British players are never as good as counterparts in other countries. This is a waste of time and money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭RayCon

Buy British = Buy Average

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Let's play a new game. Those who are optimistic about the direction the club is currently headed (Chucky, whatawaster, Melion, Mike65, etc) provide us with bullet point reasons to share your positive outlook. I promise to keep an open mind.

It looks to me like a major overhaul, reducing wages and accepting mid-table while building a new look LFC "moneyball" side to be the new Barca, with the owners hoping it will work out and that we'll be lauded as geniouses for spotting gaps in the market/stats etc. Henry can write a book about it and maybe they'll make a movie on it. How i changed the game....or something similar.

While i have defended Rodgers (giving him time and resources i think he'll be quiet good for us) i place all the blame for our transfer dealings on the owners door here....fully. I will continue to hold my opinion on our transfers until the window closes.....however, any optimism i had was evaporating about two weeks ago with how slow we were in tying up deals......and now with Agger remoured to be sold the old either its spend to buy or they are doing the "moneyball" rule of selling players above their true market value. Both are worrying IMO.

TBH i'm starting to worry about our owners....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be fair to Allen, I like him a hell of a lot more than any English options available (in any position). At the money they're asking for though, we would definitely do much better abroad. Hell, a straight up offer of 15 million pounds would likely get us Sahin, a player only a year older, but on a completely different level. From there, with a midfield trio of Lucas, Sahin and Gerrard, with Suarez ahead of them, we look like a much more promising and enticing option for other potential players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

We got Borrini for £10m

This is really ****ing simple folks. As always:

NO BRITISH PLAYERS

**** Joe Allen. Don't want him. Swansea can fist themselves. Go elsewhere with our money. Young British players are never as good as counterparts in other countries. This is a waste of time and money.

To be fair, I think this applies to older, established English players moreso than younger ones.

In 5 years we will be kicking ourselves for not signing Smalling and Jones. They will be at United for a decade.

To be fair, I think this applies to older, established English players moreso than younger ones.

In 5 years we will be kicking ourselves for not signing Smalling and Jones. They will be at United for a decade.

Our British players should come through the academy or be signed in the manner we got Shelvey - i.e. getting a really promising 18 year old on board for a relatively small fee.

In the twisted insane logic of the Premiership, Allen is already "established". One season of premiership football where you do well and you've made it (see Brendan Rodgers). I just am sick of playing that game. Let's take the £12 - £15m we were going to spend on Allen and start making offers to continental teams.

Jeez Kess, would you just give John Henry a bell and talk to him about your list ffs. Time is running out here. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    To be fair to Allen, I like him a hell of a lot more than any English options available (in any position). At the money they're asking for though, we would definitely do much better abroad. Hell, a straight up offer of 15 million pounds would likely get us Sahin, a player only a year older, but on a completely different level. From there, with a midfield trio of Lucas, Sahin and Gerrard, with Suarez ahead of them, we look like a much more promising and enticing option for other potential players.

In fairness paying 17 million for henderson last year really set the benchmark for what ye'll pay for young english midfielders.......

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    In fairness paying 17 million for henderson last year really set the benchmark for what ye'll pay for young english midfielders.......

Those mistakes should never be made again. Which is why people are saying dont sign young British players.....overpriced and overated in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'm still so confused as to why we bought him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Ok, I'll try! Here goes:
    • New manager, fresh approach, and with a philosophy on the game that seems to be both in tune with the great history of the club and also with the way the modern game is being played
    • Lucas is back! This will help Rodgers implement his philosophy and will make all of the other players look much better
    • A fully fit and available Stevie G, not played in a 2 man central midfield so that we can maximise his effectiveness and minimise his faults
    • Suarez on fire this year with a point to prove and a sense of injustice in his heart (and hopefully finished with his damaging brish with the authorities)
    • Reina can't possibly be as bad as he was last year. Time to start making some saves Pepe! Also, he is tailor made for Rodgers new system where the goalkeeper has an important role in keeping possession
    • First year flops (Downing, Hendo, Carroll????) start to deliver on their potential
    • Good batch of youngsters ready to make their mark (Sterling, Shelvey, Suso, etc.)
    • Borini plus hopefully one or two other players make a big impact in their first season
    Have to admit though, the above is at best grounds for cautious optimism and at worst, just plain hopeful!

So fine, let's not buy them. They aren't that good anyway.

Ramsey and Allen played in a midfield that got out worked and out fought by a South Korean U23 team the other night. Young British players simply aren't that good in relative terms, though you would never know it from watching the Premiership on Sky, reading sports media in Britain and Ireland, etc.

Shelvey has come good. We have Henderson now. Let's go elsewhere for our next few investments in that part of the squad.

PRAF wrote: »
    Ok, I'll try! Here goes:
    • New manager, fresh approach, and with a philosophy on the game that seems to be both in tune with the great history of the club and also with the way the modern game is being played
    • Lucas is back! This will help Rodgers implement his philosophy and will make all of the other players look much better
    • A fully fit and available Stevie G, not played in a 2 man central midfield so that we can maximise his effectiveness and minimise his faults
    • Suarez on fire this year with a point to prove and a sense of injustice in his heart (and hopefully finished with his damaging brish with the authorities)
    • Reina can't possibly be as bad as he was last year. Time to start making some saves Pepe! Also, he is tailor made for Rodgers new system where the goalkeeper has an important role in keeping possession
    • First year flops (Downing, Hendo, Carroll????) start to deliver on their potential
    • Good batch of youngsters ready to make their mark (Sterling, Shelvey, Suso, etc.)
    • Borini plus hopefully one or two other players make a big impact in their first season
    Have to admit though, the above is at best grounds for cautious optimism and at worst, just plain hopeful!

A lot of these are best case scenarios, but I would love if they all came through. If Lucas could recover his form, Suarez could be the best version of himself and Reina / Gerrard / Downing all upped their performances and production to something like their respective peaks that would actually give us a top four shot in of itself - they were that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So fine, let's not buy them. They aren't that good anyway.

Ramsey and Allen played in a midfield that got out worked and out fought by a South Korean U23 team the other night. Young British players simply aren't that good in relative terms, though you would never know it from watching the Premiership on Sky, reading sports media in Britain and Ireland, etc.

Shelvey has come good. We have Henderson now. Let's go elsewhere for our next few investments in that part of the squad.

I totally agree.
    Was just making the point that the benchmark prices for young english players has already been set.

So let me get this straight ...

We wont buy Sigurdsson for £8 million cause of reported high wages of €65k a week = €65x4x12x4= £12 million

Yet we are going to go out and buy Joe Allen for £18million @ £40,000 pw over 4 years
    =£26 million

:confused:<sarcasm>Yep..That makes perfect sense</sarcasm>:confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It's ok lads, not to worry. I had a dream last night where I met Agger and asked him to stay, and that if he was going to leave to go to Barca as he promised not to go to another English team. He told me he wouldn't make any promises as LFC had not approached him abotu a new contract that he wants, but just when it looked like he was going to City he signed a new LFC contract. Crisis averted. I will concentrate my super powers on lotto numbers if something like that happens.

A lot of these are best case scenarios, but I would love if they all came through. If Lucas could recover his form, Suarez could be the best version of himself and Reina / Gerrard / Downing all upped their performances and production to something like their respective peaks that would actually give us a top four shot in of itself - they were that good.

Yeah, hands up, these are all best case scenarios!! I'm an optimist, what can I say.

Have to admit though, I'm a bit worried that we still don't have enough pace and penetration in the team. Guys like Owen and Torres in their peak frightened the life out of defenders and kept opposing teams honest. I'd much rather we spent 15-20m to solve this problem rather than spend that same money on a British midfielder. Unless Raheem is ready for the first 11 then we should go out and buy a forward with genuine pace and ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Our British players should come through the academy or be signed in the manner we got Shelvey - i.e. getting a really promising 18 year old on board for a relatively small fee.

In the twisted insane logic of the Premiership, Allen is already "established". One season of premiership football where you do well and you've made it (see Brendan Rodgers). I just am sick of playing that game. Let's take the £12 - £15m we were going to spend on Allen and start making offers to continental teams.

Jeez Kess, would you just give John Henry a bell and talk to him about your list ffs. Time is running out here. :)

If only it could be that simple. :D

But even in relation to the independent scout networks, LFC is lagging quite a bit behind other clubs. Under Kenny there was a little bit of a boys club in terms of what scouts or scouting companies got used if at all. Some of what got used were the same ones that were being used under Kenny at Newcastle afaik.

The current version of Newcastle has some ties with ones that focus mostly on the French league and the Dutch league. Some of the midland teams are strongly tied in with guys who specialise in the Belgian and Scandinavian leagues. A few clubs seem to be trying to build up scouting contacts/networks in South America and in Asia.

What puzzled me last summer was the fact that Comolli does have some very good scouting contacts in relation to the French league, and I am fairly confident that a number of players were reported on, and that Kenny/Clarke/Comolli did view those players a number of times before last summer and did so again right up to the end of last summer. But we ended up going with mostly British players who were viewed by the more insular club scouting team.

Some of what I am saying is personal speculation based on observations and some is based on more solid ground, but I really think that the club badly needs to embrace the more modern scouting networks to a much greater degree. I am a bit optimistic of this happening under Rodgers (if he has any kind of deciding say) as he used quite a lot of the independent scouting networks, especially those that focussed on foreign leagues, since he went into management.

• Advertisement

When are we going to be linked with top talent from China and Japan. We've ignored the asian market for too long, need to up our jersey sales in those regions like Man Utd seem to do so well!

Leiva wrote: »

We wont buy Sigurdsson for £8 million cause of reported high wages of €65k a week = €65x4x12x4= £12 million

Yet we are going to go out and buy Joe Allen for £18million @ £40,000 pw over 4 years
    =£26 million

:confused:<sarcasm>Yep..That makes perfect sense</sarcasm>:confused:

....I dont like doing this but Arsenal have just confirmed Cazorla has signed .

fee approx 16million .

now see the disparity ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

When are we going to be linked with top talent from China and Japan. We've ignored the asian market for too long, need to up our jersey sales in those regions like Man Utd seem to do so well!

We need to be able to identify and pursue excellent young European talent first imho before we jump into the Asian market waving a cheaquebook.

I do think that we need a stronger presence in that market, but only go after players that can make a genuine impact in our squad. Japan and South Korea would be the obvious countries to look at in terms of them producing players that would be EPL capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Kess73 wrote: »

What puzzled me last summer was the fact that Comolli does have some very good scouting contacts in relation to the French league, and I am fairly confident that a number of players were reported on, and that Kenny/Clarke/Comolli did view those players a number of times before last summer and did so again right up to the end of last summer. But we ended up going with mostly British players who were viewed by the more insular club scouting team.

Some of what I am saying is personal speculation based on observations and some is based on more solid ground, but I really think that the club badly needs to embrace the more modern scouting networks to a much greater degree. I am a bit optimistic of this happening under Rodgers (if he has any kind of deciding say) as he used quite a lot of the independent scouting networks, especially those that focussed on foreign leagues, since he went into management.

Yeah, was confused at the time by us pulling out of the Marveaux transfer - though it looks like, maybe, that was the right move. Oddly enough, it was that move that made me bet on Newcastle finishing the season with more than 55 points... needless to say, didn't do too badly :).

Anyway, there's really no question that we overpaid something shocking last year for Carroll, Henderson and Downing and - in that context - I'd be reluctant (if I were an owner) to be wheeling out money until I was absolutely confident that we had got our scouting network in order again. It might even be the case that we don't see buys until after a few games*. Hard to say.

*Not that I agree with that at all, and think it has its own negative externalities in terms of points sacrificed, but that just might be how they decide to do things. On the upside, at least our new owners don't think there's a "draft".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

....I dont like doing this but Arsenal have just confirmed Cazorla has signed .

fee approx 16million .

now see the disparity ?!

I thought it was going to be more than that but checked BBC Sport and it says a fee less than £15m

It's just so frustrating. Arsenal are getting a world class player for less than what we paid for Jordan Henderson, less than we're being linked to Allen, less than Downing.

Ok he's probably on higher wages but still they've got him for a steal and we can't seem to get anyone without overpaying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The reasons I have some optimism are because the club looks like it might be heading in a direction which I have been advocating for some time. This optimism is tempered by the usual sense of dread that comes with being a Liverpool supporter. Something bad is always around the corner, but …

- I’ve believed our squad has been in need of rebuilding since Rafa’s last season so I’m glad we are being pro-active in getting the older players and the highly paid players off the wage bill
    - We have the bones of a very good young squad
    - I believe we have even more quality coming through the academy
    - Rodgers has a philosophy on the game that I agree with and look forward to see implemented at Liverpool. It is one I think will also suit the young squad I’ve mentioned in my previous points.
    - Despite the losses to the squad, we seem to be signing players who fit with the style of play the manager wants to implement (Borini and Allen). Contrast that with our signings last summer (Downing and Carroll in particular) who didn’t suit the quick passing game we then tried to use.
    - We have some very good players (Lucas, Suarez . . . )
    - We have players I believe are on the verge of becoming very good players (Henderson, Shelvey, Coates . . . )
    - We hired the manager I wanted and we have barely kicked a ball yet so I don’t see why I would be pessimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Rumors circulating soon to be outed that Chevrolet is actually just an elaborate front for a paedo ring.

#OurYear

I knew it. Only reason they would call a car a "Captiva".

#AllThePlayersHaveToDriveChevysNow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

=£26 million

Sigurdsson would actually be £8m + (£65k X 52 X 4) = £21.52m

Joe Allen would be £18m + (£40k x 52 x 4) = £26.32m

It's great being an accountant with OCD ;)

Ben

Ok, I don't want to be a killjoy here but I am geniunely surprised when I see some of the reactions here to what is essentially tabloid speculation. Given the very low standard of football journalism (particularly British press), why do we take it as gospel truth when there is a story linking LFC to a player with a suggested fee and wages per week. More than 9 out of 10 stories proves to be totally groundless, yet we get extreme reactions from fans based on these stories (e.g. can't believe Rodgers is offerring £X for [insert player name], what an idiot.....)

I'd suggest that most transfer speculation is either totally made up by a journalist looking to fill pages in their rag paper OR totally made up by a Dave Whealan style chairman trying to start an auction for some of their players. Very little, if any, of it will be coming out of Anfield.

It may be the boring thing to say but don't believe LFC have signed someone until its on the offical website. Also, don't believe the fees / wages quoted until they are published by a reputable source or else directly taken from the annual accounts.

(waits now to hear that we have signed Allen, Ramierez, Sahin, etc exacly as predicted by the Sun, Mirror, etc.!!)

• Advertisement

BenThere wrote: »
    Sigurdsson would actually be £8m + (£65k X 52 X 4) = £21.52m

Joe Allen would be £18m + (£40k x 52 x 4) = £26.32m

It's great being an accountant with OCD ;)

Ben

What can I say I like to round down :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

daithijjj wrote: »
    Glory hunters?, where exactly do you get that from what you quoted me saying?.

Broughton and Purslow are perfectly capable individuals, the problem is you and people like you, who seem to follow like sheep any propaganda that's spoon fed to you.

During the time when Hodgson and Purslow were running things LFC remained in the black for the entirety but the propaganda is so entrenched in people now that even hearsay is rolled out to argue points. Purslow got plenty of hate because he was the one bringing bad news, such is life, thats what happens when things go tits up and the cowboys were not around to shout at.

Your last sentence is nonsense. It is well capable of paying the wages but seems to not want to, which is fine, just dont expect success, simple.

If the fans start stop going to matches because we are mid-table I'd consider them glory hunters. Perfectly capable? Yea, sacking Rafa for Roy was just highlighted how capable those boys were alright. Obviously not thinking that was some great decision makes me a sheep though.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

I know that nothing regarding Agger has been confirmed but there is an unhealthy level of speculation about it which suggests it's not entirely baseless.

The most surprising aspect of it for me is, if we have to sell one of our star players to fund other transfers, why Agger?!! If it has to be done (and it's a huge, crushing disappointment if it does, didn't think we'd have to go back to selling the likes of Masch, Xabi, Torres without adequately replacing them) then I would have expected Skrtel or Carroll would go before Agger.

We hear lots about Rodgers' style of play & philosophy, therefore surely when he arrived at the club he was marking down Agger as absolutely crucial to implementing this style and making it work as soon as possible? That makes me worry that if this does happen, it is being forced on Rodgers, I struggle to believe he would willingly sell a defender of Aggers calibre.

I just think Skrtel would be far easier to replace than Agger. Very few players like him around, and the most obvious direct replacement cost £10m and is currently settling in at our friends Spurs.

I really really hope that, for once, the speculation doesn't become a reality on this one. It would be a monumental symbol of our deterioration.

Seamu$ wrote: »
    I know that nothing regarding Agger has been confirmed but there is an unhealthy level of speculation about it which suggests it's not entirely baseless.

The most surprising aspect of it for me is, if we have to sell one of our star players to fund other transfers, why Agger?!! If it has to be done (and it's a huge, crushing disappointment if it does, didn't think we'd have to go back to selling the likes of Masch, Xabi, Torres without adequately replacing them) then I would have expected Skrtel or Carroll would go before Agger.

We hear lots about Rodgers' style of play & philosophy, therefore surely when he arrived at the club he was marking down Agger as absolutely crucial to implementing this style and making it work as soon as possible? That makes me worry that if this does happen, it is being forced on Rodgers, I struggle to believe he would willingly sell a defender of Aggers calibre.

I just think Skrtel would be far easier to replace than Agger. Very few players like him around, and the most obvious direct replacement cost £10m and is currently settling in at our friends Spurs.

I really really hope that, for once, the speculation doesn't become a reality on this one. It would be a monumental symbol of our deterioration.

Well said . You have addressed two or three crucial points .

It really will be a bizarre transfer and will go against everything that has been said to date from the club .

Don't get me wrong here, I'd much prefer to keep Agger (and have him injury free for the whole year). Also, the examples you give about Masch, Alonso, etc are depressing. Not replacing them properly is probably the main reason we're not top-4 anymore.

However.......

I think you need to give the manager a chance first. This might be idle speculation. Or, it might be true but Rodgers is taking a calculated gamble that he can replace Agger and make great use of the funds to reinvest in other areas of the team.

Who'd have though selling Kevin Keegan was good business until King Kenny came along. In more recent years, Fergie has replaced many seemingly irreplaceable stars

Keep the faith!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Might be just me but I think Brandon got the job for situations like this, when FSG see dollar signs certain managers would stand their ground and fight to keep the player but to me he seems like the type of manager who will just go along with what FSG want rather than jepordize his position.

If Agger goes now I wouldn't be surprised to see the club sell one of Reina, Lucas, or Suarez in the January window. Also wouldn't be surprised if FSG are trying to recoup the money they have put into the club before trying to sell it on.

Ughh....a serious post, what the f*ck have you done to me FSG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think you need to give the manager a chance first. This might be idle speculation. Or, it might be true but Rodgers is taking a calculated gamble that he can replace Agger and make great use of the funds to reinvest in other areas of the team.

Who'd have though selling Kevin Keegan was good business until King Kenny came along. In more recent years, Fergie has replaced many seemingly irreplaceable stars

Keep the faith!

Replacing Keegan with Dalglish-Bob Paisley
    Replacing a galaxy of stars over the years-Alex Ferguson

We think Brendan Rodgers is up to the task of emulating them?
    That's more than "keeping the faith"

I think my outlook is realistic, rather than positive. The difference is I think the pessimistic people are being unrealistic in their outlook. People here expect a new stadium all while we make zero effort to reduce our wage bill and continue to spend £30m every summer on new players. Fantasy stuff tbh. Here's a few things that have me no crying into my cornflakes every morning over that state of the club. Also I won't give a final assessment until September 1st, a huge amount can change my opinion in 3 weeks.

• Reducing our ridiculous wage and handing out contracts that players actually deserve
    • Doing a very good job in the commercial side of the team
    • Having a young manager with a long-term goals in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think my outlook is realistic, rather than positive. The difference is I think everyone is being unrealistic in their outlook. People here expect a new stadium all while we make zero effort to reduce our wage bill and continue to spend £30m every summer on new players. Fantasy stuff tbh. Here's a few things that have me no crying into my cornflakes every morning over that state of the club. Also I won't give a final assessment until September 1st, a huge amount can change my opinion in 3 weeks.

• Reducing our ridiculous wage and handing out contracts that players actually deserve

Weren't you the fella who thought all Danny Agger deserved was a pay as you play contract?

Realistic? :eek:

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Weren't you the fella who thought all Danny Agger deserved was a pay as you play contract?

Realistic? :eek:

This sums it up. He's played 51% of our league games over the last 6 years is deserving of a nice shiney new contract no questions asked.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Replacing Keegan with Dalglish-Bob Paisley
    Replacing a galaxy of stars over the years-Alex Ferguson

We think Brendan Rodgers is up to the task of emulating them?
    That's more than "keeping the faith"

Who knows, only time will tell if Rodgers can prove himself. I hope he will and I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. All I can judge him on so far is his time at Swansea (very impressive), his references from the likes of Mourinho (very impressive), and how he has been communicating his philosophy and approach in the media to date (again, all very impressive).

I would like to see some positive signs in the transfer market between now and the end of the window. That would be another sign of progress. However, as others have said I think Rodgers is a long term project and we shouldn't necessarily be looking for immediate short term results

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement