Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a NEW SIM free Iphone in Moore street

• 19-07-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Well would you?

Shops in Moore street Dublin selling 'new' boxed SIM free iPhone 4s for €500...is it safe to buy there?
    They are still boxed??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

For €500, you would think they are safe enough but who knows they may put a good bit of money into the appearance of legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

umm, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

No. Not in one of the shady looking shops. For that money you can get a new legal 4. Or a very good Android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

6 month warranty...

Shop recommended by manager of local three store.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Zipppy wrote: »
    6 month warranty...

You were ok right up to that point.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

6 month warranty...

Why only a six-month warranty? That's what gave me pause....

They are probably reconditioned.

Lux23 wrote: »
    They are probably reconditioned.

Then they should be sold as such and not new as described by the OP.

If they are reconditioned, then they are too expensive.

culabula wrote: »
    Then they should be sold as such and not new as described by the OP.

If they are reconditioned, then they are too expensive.

Well apple replace faulty phones with reconditioned ones themselves instead of new ones.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Well apple replace faulty phones with reconditioned ones themselves instead of new ones.

Yea, I was told that's probably what I will get.

Replacing a faulty phone with a reconditioned phone with a guarantee is not the same as selling an iPhone for 500€.

Apple sell refurbished phones, often at an attractive price, as new, with the same warranty and guarantee and it is this with which these so-called new sim-free phones should be compared.

Apple sell refurbished phones, often at an attractive price, as new

Well if Apple can do it, then I don't see why others can't.

Well if Apple can do it, then I don't see why others can't.

They can if they want.

But Apple offer a year's guarantee, exactly like a new model. They don't say it's refurbished and only offer 6 months.

If something goes wrong, we know where to find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Apple sell refurbished phones, often at an attractive price, as new, with the same warranty and guarantee and it is this with which these so-called new sim-free phones should be compared.

Where can one source these refurbished iPhones???

Can't seem to find any...
    http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals

Usually at store.apple.com/ie and searching for "refurbished".

However the deals come and go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I'd be cautious. Are these the same shops the sell "custom" game carts for DS?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Usually at store.apple.com/ie and searching for "refurbished".

However the deals come and go.

They don't do refurb phones in the irish website, CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cheapphones

Use the website called checkmend before you buy it and that will give you a report which should tell you if its legit or not..

www.checkmend.com

I'd always use this before buying a secondhand iphone.. Just in case someone has cancelled a contract early or obviously stolen..

• Advertisement

Use the website called checkmend before you buy it and that will give you a report which should tell you if its legit or not..

www.checkmend.com

I'd always use this before buying a secondhand iphone.. Just in case someone has cancelled a contract early or obviously stolen..

I'd love to know where they are supposed to be getting their information. Do the carriers contact them to tell the that someone has stopped paying their contract?

They give some info here...

CheckMEND has spent more than a decade building relationships with data providers including the public, police, retailers, recyclers and networks the world over and today is regarded as the authority on the information relating to the sale/purchase of second-hand goods.

So persume if a phone is blocked on any network it is updated on to their system or if its stolen..

They give some info here...

CheckMEND has spent more than a decade building relationships with data providers including the public, police, retailers, recyclers and networks the world over and today is regarded as the authority on the information relating to the sale/purchase of second-hand goods.

So persume if a phone is blocked on any network it is updated on to their system or if its stolen..

Forgive me if I don't rush to hand over my money to them.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Did you buy one in the end OP?

Its got me out of trouble a few times.. Just letting you know my experience from a retail side of things anyway..

Advertisement