Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer damaged by Toner Cartridge

Options
  • 19-07-2012 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭

I've a HP4600 colour laser printer. I recently replaced the magenta toner with a new original HP toner and after a few weeks it started spilling toner, so now everything it prints is covered in magenta dust.

I've contacted HP and they tell me the printer is out of warranty and all they will do is replace the toner. The transfer belt is covered in toner and it looks like the toner has got into some of the other cartridges, which cost over €200 to replace each with HP originals.

Are HP liable to repair the damage caused by the leak as well as replace the toner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If something was defective and damaged something else they are liable but the lower limit (works like an excess) in this situation means you would get next to nothing for the printer. Actually rereading your post you wouldn't get the first IR£350. You'll have to work out whether its worth it.

There maybe a consumer right I'm not aware of thats just my take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My simple take on it would be - yes, they are.

I'm assuming that as the toner cartridges are expensive, then the printer itself is a relatively expensive model?

The warranty on the printer is irrelevant as there is no issue intrinsic to the printer itself. It was damaged by a faulty OEM component of theirs.

I would ask to speak to a manager, and push politely and firmly. Remind them that you are prepared to move further to get resolution on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Your printer has 4 cartridges and an imaging drum . - If the printer is over 12 months , the printer is out of warranty .

But you should hold HP responsible , if this is the first cartridge change and you bought genuine HP.

Don't handle the imaging drum yourself , as you could damage the roller .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I do get the impression this is someone at HP who has misunderstood the fact that had the toner had leaked on to your ming vase due to a defect you'd be able to claim for the vase so the fact that the printer is a HP and out of warranty shouldn't matter.

The reverse being true of course - if the printer was in warranty and you had put a non-HP toner in it it wouldn't have been HPs problem as it wasn't HPs fault it broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Had a similar issue (magenta too), but it was a dell printer and a non dell cartridge.

Cured very simply by buying a can of compressed air from any stationery shop and blowing the bejayus out of the insides.

A few printer copies later everything was perfect.

btw - have you found the cause of the leakage. Is it a fault in the cartridge or did something in the printer casue the cartridge to develop a leak?

• Advertisement
Advertisement