Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using iPhone abroad

Options
  • 19-07-2012 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

going to Oz and Thailand for 6 weeks the end of the year, Gonna use my iphone abroad to skype call, check emails etc

Obviously i dont want to rack up my bill

Has anyone any experience using their phone abroad? Did they buy a sim over there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

granty1892 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

going to Oz and Thailand for 6 weeks the end of the year, Gonna use my iphone abroad to skype call, check emails etc

Has anyone any experience using their phone abroad? Did they buy a sim over there?
    If in oz I would suggest using http://www.amaysim.com.au/
    They have good data plans and for $39 you can get a month of credit. Good for Skype checking maps etc. otherwise would be limited to wifi or rack up roaming bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mc1983

Hi Lads,o

disasterrr !!! i spent 80euro on a new battery.. and 50 on a external battery for my iphone for ttaveling to oz... they worked grand !!! but telstra jus wudnt work on it. wqste of money!! ...leave ur iphone at home.. bring a cheap fone jus to make calls on... then buy a fone on telstra network when u get here !! i ended up doin that.. bought a samsung galaxy s2 4g ...$780 ...i top up by 60dollars a month and i get FREEE...$1400credit..2gbFREE data and unlimited txts and calls in oz..thats jUst for topping upp !!...i then use my 60dollars i topped up with to buy what ever package i want..usualy data..60dollars for 4gb. ...right now i have 2grand credit on my fone. so in effect i have free calls home to ireland when ever i want..its brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Mc1983 wrote: »
    disasterrr !!! i spent 80euro on a new battery.. and 50 on a external battery for my iphone for ttaveling to oz... they worked grand !!! but telstra jus wudnt work on it. wqste of money!! ...leave ur iphone at home.. bring a cheap fone jus to make calls on... then buy a fone on telstra network when u get here !! i ended up doin that.. bought a samsung galaxy s2 4g ...$780 ...i top up by 60dollars a month and i get FREEE...$1400credit..2gbFREE data and unlimited txts and calls in oz..thats jUst for topping upp !!...i then use my 60dollars i topped up with to buy what ever package i want..usualy data..60dollars for 4gb. ...right now i have 2grand credit on my fone. so in effect i have free calls home to ireland when ever i want..its brilliant!!

does that credit not run out at the end of the month?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mc1983

yesss ... it does buT ... jus top up again at the end of the month and it rolls over :)

Quote=sponge_bob;79832170]
    disasterrr !!! i spent 80euro on a new battery.. and 50 on a external battery for my iphone for ttaveling to oz... they worked grand !!! but telstra jus wudnt work on it. wqste of money!! ...leave ur iphone at home.. bring a cheap fone jus to make calls on... then buy a fone on telstra network when u get here !! i ended up doin that.. bought a samsung galaxy s2 4g ...$780 ...i top up by 60dollars a month and i get FREEE...$1400credit..2gbFREE data and unlimited txts and calls in oz..thats jUst for topping upp !!...i then use my 60dollars i topped up with to buy what ever package i want..usualy data..60dollars for 4gb. ...right now i have 2grand credit on my fone. so in effect i have free calls home to ireland when ever i want..ints brilliant!!

does that credit not run out at the end of the month?[/Quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Hi Lads,o

If phone is unlocked should be no reason why it wouldn't work, myself and gf brought smartphones and worked straightway when chucked Aussie sim in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

If your iphone is locked to a certain network, you can jailbreak it yourself to unlock it ( it's what I did when my brother brought back an iphone from Oz. ) You would need to be a bit technically minded and the jailbreaking and unlocked process will wipe your phone. So be sure to back up any data on it beforehand.

Advertisement