Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Establishing Credit

Options
  • 19-07-2012 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

Just a bit of advice for people who have moved to America.

I moved here last year on an L1-B visa. I had no credit history here when I arrived. In order to get credit, I opened an account with Triangle Credit Union and applied for a loan.

The only way my loan could be approved was by using a guarantor. Luckily, a friend of mine here agreed to be a guarantor for me. The loan was approved, and I simply let the money sit in the account and pay itself off. I got a 4 grand loan, and it ended up costing me 400 dollars in total.

After one year, my credit rating was 652. I applied for a credit card with Bank of America, and one with Discover. I just got approved for both, BoA has a limit of 1 grand and Discover has a limit of 5500.

652 is only an OK credit score, and I plan on buying a house in about 3 or 4 years so I need to get that score up. The plan is the use the cards for every day activities and pay them off constantly so I can build up more credit.

Just a bit of advice I thought might be helpful for you, as I was frustrated having no line of credit when I moved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Thanks!

This also may be helpful, but I haven't signed up for it yet..

http://www.capitalone.com/creditcards/newcomer-credit-card/

A card designed to help those new to the U.S. build credit with automatic reporting to three major credit bureaus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Captial One approved a card for me as well, but the limit was only 350 so I sent it back to them. It may be perfect for getting some bit of credit going, though. Thanks for mentioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I got a prepay card from the bank....basically lodge 500 and pay back what you use off that for 6months, then it switches to a regular credit card and you get the 500 back....so costs you nothing.

Advertisement