Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Problems with Gaming PC

• 19-07-2012 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Sorry, that should have been paragraph.

NOTE : Skip to the last paragraph where the stars are if you don't want the full story.

Recently I got a new PC and, after overcoming many issues with it, I finally got it working. ( thanks to the helpful people of this forum :D )

However, I've always had a slight problem with my monitor since day one.
    Basically, it's too bright. Now I know you're going to think, " well turn down the brightness then idiot " but it never works. I've also been fiddling with the gamma and that didn't help either. I've tried fixing it using settings on the monitor itself, I've tried fixing it through CCC ( Catalyst Control Center ), and I've tried updating my drivers and all that jazz.

Now, the strange thing is only things that are supposed to be dark / black or otherwise not white :) are affected by this. Two easy examples would be the videogame Amnesia, and my desktop wallpaper.
    In regards to Amnesia, for those of you who have played it, you know when you have no light source in that game and it's pitch black? Well I don't get that. I just get this weird dim grayish / whitish colour / glow.
    Pretty much the exact same thing for my desktop. It's supposed to be dark, pitch black, supposed to be.

I'm currently using the Movie mode on my monitor with a DynamicContrast of 2, as every other option is too bright / weird looking, but again, saying this is the best option ain't saying much at all.

My monitor's a BenQ G2255 and my graphics card is a Club 3d Radeon HD 7850 royalQueen.

** Now, on to the point at hand. While researching this problem myself, I was recommended to switch the colour mode from RGB to YCbCr444 as it would make the dark colours look better. I also found that in CCC this could be found in the category " My Digital Flat - Panels ~" and then under the category " Pixel Format " as seen here .
    However, the category " Pixel format " is nowhere to be found in my AMD CCC and I could find nobody on the internet with a similar problem, so help? :D
    Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Hi,

NOTE : Skip to the last line if you don't want the full story.

Recently I got a new PC and, after overcoming many issues with it, I finally got it working. ( thanks to the helpful people of this forum :D )

However, I've always had a slight problem with my monitor since day one.
    Basically, it's too bright. Now I know you're going to think, " well turn down the brightness then idiot " but it never works. I've also been fiddling with the gamma and that didn't help either. I've tried fixing it using settings on the monitor itself, I've tried fixing it through CCC ( Catalyst Control Center ), and I've tried updating my drivers and all that jazz.

Now, the strange thing is only things that are supposed to be dark / black or otherwise not white :) are affected by this. Two easy examples would be the videogame Amnesia, and my desktop wallpaper.
    In regards to Amnesia, for those of you who have played it, you know when you have no light source in that game and it's pitch black? Well I don't get that. I just get this weird dim grayish / whitish colour / glow.
    Pretty much the exact same thing for my desktop. It's supposed to be dark, pitch black, supposed to be.

I'm currently using the Movie mode on my monitor with a DynamicContrast of 2, as every other option is too bright / weird looking, but again, saying this is the best option ain't saying much at all.

My monitor's a BenQ G2255 and my graphics card is a Club 3d Radeon HD 7850 royalQueen.

** Now, on to the point at hand. While researching this problem myself, I was recommended to switch the colour mode from RGB to YCbCr444 as it would make the dark colours look better. I also found that in CCC this could be found in the category " My Digital Flat - Panels ~" and then under the category " Pixel Format " as seen here .

However, the category " Pixel format " is nowhere to be found in my AMD CCC and I could find nobody on the internet with a similar problem, so help? :D

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

"Thanks for taking the time to read this." - what the hell....I'm confused??

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭i am an onion

"Thanks for taking the time to read this." - what the hell....I'm confused??

Sorry that should have been paragraph, not line.
    Where the two little stars are :)

Do ye think it may have anything to do with my DVI?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Do ye think it may have anything to do with my DVI?

Very much doubt it, is the problem the same with any other machine?

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Very much doubt it, is the problem the same with any other machine?

Nick

As in other monitors? Not sure, although I do remember my T.V being quite a bit darker during games.
    I could potentially fix it if I could find the Pixel Format in CCC, but like I mentioned it's nowhere to be found. Does anybody have experience with the AMD Catalyst Control Center?

• Advertisement

As in other monitors? Not sure, although I do remember my T.V being quite a bit darker during games.
    I could potentially fix it if I could find the Pixel Format in CCC, but like I mentioned it's nowhere to be found. Does anybody have experience with the AMD Catalyst Control Center?

Have you updated to the latest drivers from AMD? Could be a driver issue

Nick

Have you updated to the latest drivers from AMD? Could be a driver issue

Nick

Indeed I have and unfortunately that didn't work.

Hey guy, today while on the computer, all these small colored squares appeared all over the screen and then the monitor restarted. What just happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Sounds like artifacts and the graphics driver rebooted to try solve this. Could be a sign that the graphics card is dying. It could also be an issue if the old drivers weren't properly uninstalled. Either way something (heat, drivers, etc) caused the GPU to shat itself

Download GPUz and post idle and load temps (stress the GPU with games or 3Dmark)

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

IF it's an issue with the graphics card itself it could also explain the other issues you've been having.

Also what PSU are you using and if you could list the full PC spec it might help.

Sounds like artifacts and the graphics driver rebooted to try solve this. Could be a sign that the graphics card is dying. It could also be an issue if the old drivers weren't properly uninstalled. Either way something (heat, drivers, etc) caused the GPU to shat itself

Download GPUz and post idle and load temps (stress the GPU with games or 3Dmark)

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

IF it's an issue with the graphics card itself it could also explain the other issues you've been having.

Also what PSU are you using and if you could list the full PC spec it might help.

I doubt my Graphics card is dying, seeing as it's so new.

My PSU is this

Seeing as my monitor restarted itself, maybe it's an issue with the monitor itself? ( I'd actually hope it's that, as this monitor has been nothing but trouble since I got it )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I doubt my Graphics card is dying, seeing as it's so new.

My PSU is this

Seeing as my monitor restarted itself, maybe it's an issue with the monitor itself? ( I'd actually hope it's that, as this monitor has been nothing but trouble since I got it )

Monitor is getting it's feed from the graphics card, and it sounds like a driver reboot rather than a screen reboot. Coloured squares (artifacts) all over the screen is definitely pointing to a graphics card issue.

Are you able to try a different graphics card?

The good part of it is, because the card is so new it's still got a warranty, if it does turn out the be the problem.

If the graphics card is having cooling problems it could easily cause these issues.

Monitor is getting it's feed from the graphics card, and it sounds like a driver reboot rather than a screen reboot. Coloured squares (artifacts) all over the screen is definitely pointing to a graphics card issue.

Are you able to try a different graphics card?

The good part of it is, because the card is so new it's still got a warranty, if it does turn out the be the problem.

If the graphics card is having cooling problems it could easily cause these issues.

Hmm, well i'll install the GUz and I'll tell you what it says.

Well, when running Fallout New Vegas I got ( these are all the values, as I don't know which are the important ones :D ) :

GPU Core Clock : 860.0 MHz

GPU Memory Clock : 1200.0 MHz

GPU Temperature : 48.0

Fan Speed : 20%

Fan Speed ( RPM ) : 1125 RPM

GPU Load : 82%

Memory Usage ( Dedicated ) : 775 MB

Memory Usage ( Dynamic ) : 65 MB

VDDC : 1.138 V

These are the highest results.

Edit : Something unrelated, but my Monitor always gets brighter when looking at a white background and darker when looking at a black or dim colored background. ( now I know that sounds obvious, but I mean it dims, kinda like power saving except I have all power saving turned off. ) Know how to stop this?

Well, when running Fallout New Vegas I got ( these are all the values, as I don't know which are the important ones :D ) :

GPU Core Clock : 860.0 MHz

GPU Memory Clock : 1200.0 MHz

GPU Temperature : 48.0

Fan Speed : 20%

Fan Speed ( RPM ) : 1125 RPM

GPU Load : 82%

Memory Usage ( Dedicated ) : 775 MB

Memory Usage ( Dynamic ) : 65 MB

VDDC : 1.138 V

These are the highest results.

Edit : Something unrelated, but my Monitor always gets brighter when looking at a white background and darker when looking at a black or dim colored background. ( now I know that sounds obvious, but I mean it dims, kinda like power saving except I have all power saving turned off. ) Know how to stop this?

Regarding the rebooting/graphics corruption issue your problem may be power supply (PSU) related. These temperatures certainly look ok your reporting from your video card under load. Whats the power supply in the machine out of interest? Even a full spec rundown on whats in the machine even better?

Nick

Regarding the rebooting/graphics corruption issue your problem may be power supply (PSU) related. These temperatures certainly look ok your reporting from your video card under load. Whats the power supply in the machine out of interest? Even a full spec rundown on whats in the machine even better?

Nick

My specs :

LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA
    BitFenix Merc Alpha
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX
    BenQ G2255 ( monitor )
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7850 royalQueen, 1GB GDDR5

This is my PSU

Anyone have an ideas? I'm connected using a DVI cable, so do you guys think i may have a bad cable? ( are syntoms of a bad cable really washed-out colours? )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Can you borrow a mates monitor to test? connect the PC to a television to test? Borrow or buy a new cable? Does the monitor have HDMI? Connect a laptop to the monitor? Until these are answered theres no point posting really

areyawell wrote: »
    Can you borrow a mates monitor to test? connect the PC to a television to test? Borrow or buy a new cable? Does the monitor have HDMI? Connect a laptop to the monitor? Until these are answered theres no point posting really

I can test another monitor and tv, but nothing else really.

I'll get right on it.

cool, yea ya dont need to do all of them, just try the pc on another monitor/tv and test the montior on another computer if possible

cool, yea ya dont need to do all of them, just try the pc on another monitor/tv and test the montior on another computer if possible

Ok, I did that and was surprised by the results.

I used our crappy 7ish year old 19" monitor and all the brightness/colour issues were fixed. The screen quality was terrible, as you'd expect for an old monitor, but I didn't have the brightness problems. Oh, and the monitor only has VGA connections, so I used a VGA cable on a DVI adapter instead of using the DVI cable I use for my normal monitor.

Well, I guess that rules out graphics card or PSU problems, yeah?

Thanks for the help btw.

• Advertisement

Ur computer or monitor take hdmi?

Its the monitor itself, after googling the model a lot of people say that it is way too bright, nothing wrong with the computer. Try and get a refund.

Its the monitor itself, after googling the model a lot of people say that it is way too bright, nothing wrong with the computer. Try and get a refund.

The BenQ G2255?

I'll see about getting a new monitor, thank you a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

you really had some luck with this build eh ;)

dyer wrote: »
    you really had some luck with this build eh ;)

tell me about it :D

I'd have one problem fixed, when another would raise it's bastard head and mess things up again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tobasco

Hi.

This is my first post here, and sorry to bring up an old thread but after searching google for ages this forum was one of the only places I could find some one with a similar problem. I'm having similar problems to i am an onion (great name by the way).
    It's the same monitor(BenQ G2255 21'5" LCD), but I worry that this isn't actually a fault with the monitor, and more how it is made, so I don't know if I'll be able to get a refund.

Hey, sorry to be a bother, but could you or anybody give a link to somebody with similar problems? Not that I don't trust you or anything, it's just I've been looking for ages but couldn't find anyone on google with similar problems, and I'd very much like to compare my issues with others.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I look forward to being a part of this cool forum! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

The BenQ G2255?
    I'll see about getting a new monitor, thank you a million!

Just read this thread today and my guess was the BenQ itself being the problem.
    I'd recommend any of the Dell Ultrasharp's models. I don't do much gaming myself but I got the U2410:
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/monitors/15585337/dell_24_u2410_lcd_6ms_dp_vga_dvi_hdmi/details.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tobasco

Loveless wrote: »
    Just read this thread today and my guess was the BenQ itself being the problem.
    I'd recommend any of the Dell Ultrasharp's models. I don't do much gaming myself but I got the U2410:
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/monitors/15585337/dell_24_u2410_lcd_6ms_dp_vga_dvi_hdmi/details.aspx

Woh that's really expensive.

I was wondering if maybe BenQ will let me get a refund, but I'm sorta unsure whether I'm being picky or whether this is actually a problem with the monitor, hence why I asked for a link to others with similar problems.

Advertisement