Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best driving instructors in kk

Options
  • 19-07-2012 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hey. In order to not ruin our relationship I'm looking for a driving instructor in the city for my partner who is starting to learn from absolute scratch(doesn't know which pedal is which). Who is the best value? Best teacher? (highest pass rate) and which ones have ties to insurance companies? Anyone know? Help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Richie Moran, hands down. Bennetsbridge driving school, but he goes into town for people

086-8236352

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

I have no experience of any other driving instructors in Kilkenny but I would definitely recommend Richie Moran too. I went from where your partner is to passing my test first time after about 2 months with him and about 1-2 lessons a week. I think he charges about €30 per lesson, that was this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

+1 on Richie! Wish i had start out with him straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

30 euro lessons sounds a little steep . Ormonde school of motoring do the 12 lesson block for 290. Although we really want to do this quickly and pass first time so it might be worth the extra.

jiggajt wrote: »
    30 euro lessons sounds a little steep . Ormonde school of motoring do the 12 lesson block for 290. Although we really want to do this quickly and pass first time so it might be worth the extra.

biggest mistake nearly every single learner driver including myself makes. You will fail the first test (like most people do) if you rush and try get it over with. It takes time, and a lot of practice/experience.

30 euro a lesson is the norm. My first 12 lessons were with Aviva, because I got them for cheap and also got an insurance deal if I did. Their instructors arent half as good as Richie. Went to Richie for a good 7 or 8+ lessons before my second test and he is really good.

Just take your time, and practice a lot between lessons (i.e just driving around)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

cocoshovel wrote: »
    biggest mistake nearly every single learner driver including myself makes. You will fail the first test (like most people do)

You won't fail first time (you might :p) but not everybody does, there's no reason why you should fail first time. The biggest mistake new drivers make is not starting from scratch with a good instructor and leaving it too long between starting to drive and taking the test.

Lots of people learn to drive and then go around on a learners permit for a year or two while they develop bad habits. Lots of people also take "lessons" from a family member or friend. Bad idea imo.

In my experience if your partner wants to pass quickly, then she is in a good position. Start from scratch with a good instructor, take regular lessons and also practice as much as possible in between. Take the test 3-6 months after starting lessons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

You have to wait 6 months before you can take the test but I agree with the picking up others bad habits and developing your own. I think OP should crack on with it and get lessons.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Brenda Bolger is by far the best, very patient and helpful. Passed first time thanks to her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Green Brigade

I found Stuart Knaggs very good, found out about him on boards, good while ago though. I also went to Richie Moran but found Stuart better.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

richie moran is by far your best option... no bull.. like some tester .. straight down the line and he wont let u take the test unless you are in a position to pass..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Thanks for your help guys. Provisional is coming in the post tomorrow. I think we'll try Ritchie so. Will let you know how we get on.

richie moran is by far your best option... no bull.. like some tester .. straight down the line and he wont let u take the test unless you are in a position to pass..

Just horses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Just horses :D
    He took you to feed them too? :p

Advertisement