Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Putting money toward job creation.

• 19-07-2012 5:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭

I am just curious to understand what people mean when they say things like "money should be put into job creation".
    For example if there was a million euro that was going to be put toward job creation who would it go to in order to help toward this? For instance would it go to small companies to employ people, would it go to business start up or where exactly would it go so that it could be then proclaimed "the money went toward job creation".

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

ByronB wrote: »
    I am just curious to understand what people mean when they say things like "money should be put into job creation".
    For example if there was a million euro that was going to be put toward job creation who would it go to in order to help toward this?
    Build a business park and let it for free foreign investors. Two birds by one stone - jobs during building and jobs after.
    Problem only is that owners of other business park wont be happy and never will let government do it ( except for depressed areas where is no much competition )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The most effective things they could do with any such budget would be to put it into the likes of Enterprise Ireland or the IDA or a straightforward cut in employers PRSI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

A bunch of people in nice suits sit around a boardroom table.

The divide up the million between themselves, each pocketing their share.

They then procede to have a bit of lunch and a laugh discussing what new Merc, Audi or Bmw they are going to buy next.

The last 5 minutes of the meeting are spent coming up with a scheme of creating jobs for the unemployed where they work for free.

Now that's job creation! Genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Goverment will not create jobs we tried in the late 70's early 80's it only made thing worse. What it should do is create the amosphere where it pays people to work.
    An earlier poster gave the idea of reduce PRSI I do not know if I wopuld be in favour as it allows you to set up a new buisness go into competition with existing buisness and reduces your costs. Recently a self employed man applied for a job he could not get the job as he was not on benifit he will more than likly have to emigrate.

We need to encourage people to work in area's like tourism however the issue is that it is low paid and the food industry the same. It is very hard to bet high paid jobs into the country that Irish workers are able to work at.

At 3rd level I would cut in half the no of places for building type places most university's/Intitute of Technology do a lot of them the same with generic buisness courses and are we training too many teachers. Direct people towards IT, science and non building engineering couses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

An earlier poster gave the idea of reduce PRSI I do not know if I wopuld be in favour as it allows you to set up a new buisness go into competition with existing buisness and reduces your costs. Recently a self employed man applied for a job he could not get the job as he was not on benifit he will more than likly have to emigrate.
    Reduced Employers PRSI rates would apply to all businesses, reducing the cost of employment to employers, hopefully allowing them to hire more staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Sleepy wrote: »
    Reduced Employers PRSI rates would apply to all businesses, reducing the cost of employment to employers, hopefully allowing them to hire more staff.
    But this is not what happens the government give it for new jobs for people off the live register so if I set up a resturant hire staff that qualify I have maybe a 10% pay advantage so I then put some other sod out of buisness and his staff are unemployed.

There is no way that the government are going to give it accross the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 waltermc

The cost of running a business needs to fall. Thats not an easy task as landlords and gas and electricity companies dont want to cut prices.

The only way to kick start the economy and get people to spend is for the IMF and the troika to wipe out debt completely and let countries start over again.

I dont know if reducing PRSI is a good thing as my wife was asked to work 1 hour less so she could fall into the new PRSI bracket enabling her employer to pay less.

Advertisement