Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 NFL DRAFT

• 19-07-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

nfl+draft+2013.JPG

Dates: 25-27 April 2013
    TV: ESPN and NFL Network

Yes, it's way too early but I'm bored so thought I might as well create this thread and see how it develops over the coming year.

Wikipedia has some good information about draft picks which have been traded and forfeited picks - Wikipedia Link

Here's a few 2013 mock drafts (they're a bit too long to copy and paste so I'll just put the links). It will be interesting to see how they change over time as we find out the order of which team will be picking in what spot:

Sports Illustrated Mock Draft

Walter Football Mock Draft

Matt Miller Power Ranking The Top 50 Players

Drafttek Mock Draft

Fox Sports Mock Draft

Any thoughts, predictions, hopes etc fire away :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Hmm Barkley 3rd QB on the board? Colts drafting an offensive lineman with the 2nd pick? Someone needs to quit their day job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Only 30 picks in the 2nd round following the Saints bountygate punishment and the Browns supplemental pick.

Also, the Patriots have no extra picks :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Loving Paully's transition into full-blown draft nerd :D

Apart from that handsome chap in my signature, my favourite prospects this year are Star Lotulelei (by far the most talented overall in the draft imo), Manti Te'o and of course Marcus Lattimore. The two junior defensive ends from LSU are pretty damn awesome as well, just like a couple of pitbulls either side of the defensive line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

25. Baltimore Ravens -- Ray-Ray Armstrong, S, Miami

I say yay to this

Edit, huge need at left tackle too, that has to be looked at too.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I say yay to this

Ol' Ray-Ray was kicked off the team yesterday :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

I say yay to this

Wouldn't have him in the 1st round at the moment. Where he transfers to will be vital (if he transfers at all).

Oh dear, I wasn't aware he was dismissed from the program

I take it back so

Give my Ravens an offensive tackle! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Will he transfer to a different college soon? Or could he become a supplemental draft guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Barkley a lock to go 1st with the talent around him.

Be interesting to see where the HoneyBadger gets drafted. If he plays like the season just gone he could crack the top 5 imo. Size is an issue (as well as off-field distractions) but overall he is too talented to fall too far.

Personally will hold fire on my judgement of Lattimore. If he bounces back from injury he'll be top 10.

Barrett Jones is moving to centre for Alabama this year. If he plays well he will have played OG, LT and C in 4 years. On pure talent and "safe" pick Jones is a lock to be an NFL All-Pro line-man. Only question is where someone is drafting him for. Had he stayed at LT for another year and played as well he could have been top 5. Not sure how high someone would draft an OG or C but irregardless whoever picks him will be happy.

UCD AFC wrote: »
    Will he transfer to a different college soon? Or could he become a supplemental draft guy?

Well there's only one supplemental draft a year, so he's too late to enter it this year. He'll go into next years regular draft. To be fair, Miami have handled this with a lot of class. They've allowed him to stay on at the university with his full scholarship, but they'll also grant him a full release if that's what he wants. He'll definitely transfer, no question about it really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I think its a bit early to be judging next years draft before the season. That said Marcus Lattimore is going to be a solid NFL guy provided South Carolina doesn't run him into the ground this year ! That first mock draft has Barkley going 8th which I just can't see. If he's still available after no.1 then someone will trade up for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I say yay to this

LT isn't too huge a need. Reid should be up to tackle by next year. If he can only play on the right, we can just shift Oher, again.

Well there's only one supplemental draft a year, so he's too late to enter it this year. He'll go into next years regular draft. To be fair, Miami have handled this with a lot of class. They've allowed him to stay on at the university with his full scholarship, but they'll also grant him a full release if that's what he wants. He'll definitely transfer, no question about it really.

What did he do to get kicked out btw ?

What did he do to get kicked out btw ?

He was suspended for the first few games of the season for accepting benefits from a booster. Miami got a lot of heat over all the cash he gave to the team. Players were asked to be careful but Armstrong then went to dinner with a guy who owns a PR company who represent pro athletes (frowned upon by the NCAA). Miami are still under investigation over the whole booster affair so they obviously a) didn't trust Armstrong, or more likely, b) wanted to show the NCAA they were taking action themselves.

Baltimore's potential needs going into the 2013 draft. LT if Reid doesn't work out. C if Gradkowski doesn't work out. Always thinking about MLB too. If Streeter isn't good enough a third WR would be good, but not if Cameron keeps doing the same thing he usually does.

matthew8 wrote: »
    LT isn't too huge a need. Reid should be up to tackle by next year. If he can only play on the right, we can just shift Oher, again.

Jah Reid is slooooooooooow
    He'll be a good RT but he's no LT, not from what I've seen

As for Oher, I wouldn't be suprised if the team let him walk. Zero confidence in big Mike at LT

It's a serious need, to be addressed next draft

I highly doubt the team will let 2 first round picks in a row walk. And there's no guarantee his replacement would be better either. He can block and move, I have no doubt about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

matthew8 wrote: »
    I highly doubt the team will let 2 first round picks in a row walk. And there's no guarantee his replacement would be better either. He can block and move, I have no doubt about that.

Just had a quick look at the stats and Oher gave up 10 sacks, 7 hits and 43 hurries last season. He also gave up 11 penalties. He definitely needs to improve. He has showed some potential at times and he certainly can move, but he needs to get more consistent and quickly IMO.

At camp Oher played LT, Reid RT, but if McKinnie can get in shape then he'll more than likely play LT with Oher RT. Neither of them fill me with much confidence though, Oher has his problems as mentioned above and McKinnie, who it's a constant battle to keep in condition, can't run block, gave up 7 sacks, 9 hits and 39 hurries plus 7 penalties last season.

It is a problem position at the minute. It's a huge season coming up for all concerned which will tell us a lot.

That said we did have the 8th best O-Line statistically last year so we could be much worse off.

So a few weeks into the 2012/2013 college season, who is impressing and disappointing you, with an early eye on the draft?

Have a feeling that Geno Smith will challenge Barkley as the first overall pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Landry Jones stock is going down imo, guys like EJ Manuel and Geno Smith are really really impressive 1st round candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Te'o is just looking better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

Stev_o wrote: »
    Landry Jones stock is going down imo, guys like EJ Manuel and Geno Smith are really really impressive 1st round candidates.

Manuel is an athlete playing QB. Doesn't really know how to play the QB position e.g. reading defenses, going through his progressions, anticipating routes. Late round project for me.

Bar Geno Smith, most of the top draftable QBs are looking poor. Could be a very weak class. Geno Smith #1 pick for me.

RGIII wrote: »
    Manuel is an athlete playing QB. Doesn't really know how to play the QB position e.g. reading defenses, going through his progressions, anticipating routes. Late round project for me.

Bar Geno Smith, most of the top draftable QBs are looking poor. Could be a very weak class. Geno Smith #1 pick for me.

I disagree if you watched him vs Clemson he was very poised, operates from under the centre a lot more then Geno does. I think if the 'Noles continue their BCS run he could sneak into the first round. A team will like his Cam Newton esque qualities.

Stev_o wrote: »
    I disagree if you watched him vs Clemson he was very poised, operates from under the centre a lot more then Geno does. I think if the 'Noles continue their BCS run he could sneak into the first round. A team will like his Cam Newton esque qualities.

Smith played in a pro style offence his sophomore season and produced so the spread offence doesn't affect his stock much for me. Manuel had a great game but still didn't display any pro potential. I'll be shocked if he's a first round pick.

RGIII wrote: »
    Smith played in a pro style offence his sophomore season and produced so the spread offence doesn't affect his stock much for me. Manuel had a great game but still didn't display any pro potential. I'll be shocked if he's a first round pick.

Tannehill got picked in the 1st for a lot less then what you'd get for Manuel. Though I do admit that he is very check down short yardage prone. I just think that come the combine you ll be hearing people gawp over his size and athleticism. He'll be a media 1st rounder.

Tannehill was in a much more shallow QB class though.

EJ Manuel will have to compete with Barkley, Smith, Murray, Wilson and Bray amongst others (assuming they declare, though I doubt Murray and Bray will) who are all obviously better prospects than him. The likes of Logan Thomas and Landry Jones should salvage some of their stock this year you'd think, although again, I'd be shocked if Thomas declared.

Who'll be in the market for a 1st round QB anyway? There's not many. Raiders, Jets and Chiefs would be the only ones who could point to a QB as their number 1 need. There's a few other teams who have rookie/2nd year QBs who are unlikely to give up on them so soon (Cleveland, Jacksonville, Miami etc.)

Tannehill showed he could read defences and look off the safeties though. Even though he had limited starts, he had the nuances of the QB position down. Can't see a team taking a huge risk on Manuel to develop when so many rookie QBs are starting these days.

The Jaguars are the bookies favourite to land the #1 pick per Bovada. Chiefs and Browns 2nd and 3rd. Source below:

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/10/18/3521784/nfl-draft-2013-odds-first-pick-jaguars

Also, Walter Football has now updated their mock draft to be accurate as of 2 days ago. Quite a good read as they have a detailed description on each pick and go for 3 rounds. I've included the links to round 1 below:

Part 1 - http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php
    Part 2 - http://walterfootball.com/draft2013_1.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Paully D wrote: »
    The Jaguars are the bookies favourite to land the #1 pick per Bovada. Chiefs and Browns 2nd and 3rd. Source below:

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2012/10/18/3521784/nfl-draft-2013-odds-first-pick-jaguars

Also, Walter Football has now updated their mock draft to be accurate as of 2 days ago. Quite a good read as they have a detailed description on each pick and go for 3 rounds. I've included the links to round 1 below:

Part 1 - http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php
    Part 2 - http://walterfootball.com/draft2013_1.php
    Its actually quite awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

If Jags are the number 1 pick, they'd have to trade down surely?

Gabbert might be bad, but their offensive line and current receivers will just get the new QB killed. Makes more sense to upgrade those areas (Kansas will be looking for QB, Jets possibly although I think Sanchez got a new contract during summer, maybe Cardinals even) and then take it as it comes.

If Jags are the number 1 pick, they'd have to trade down surely?

Gabbert might be bad, but their offensive line and current receivers will just get the new QB killed.

If the Jags are picking No.1 they will have to take Geno Smith (or possibly Barkley) You can say what you want about the receivers n O-Line but there is talent there. Robinson, Blackmon, Lewis, Monroe, MJD are all highly talented and that is a decent defense.

For a franchise struggling to attract crowds they will have little option but to go QB if picking 1.

That's just stupid. Gabbert is going to be good. He's come along a fair bit this season. Jacksonville should invest some money in a o-line for him. Also the thought that any nfl gm would take Geno Smith over Barkley just baffles me.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    If the Jags are picking No.1 they will have to take Geno Smith (or possibly Barkley) You can say what you want about the receivers n O-Line but there is talent there. Robinson, Blackmon, Lewis, Monroe, MJD are all highly talented and that is a decent defense.

For a franchise struggling to attract crowds they will have little option but to go QB if picking 1.

There isn't as much talent as there seems. Mercedes Lewis had one good year and has been average at best since. Laurent Robinson was a third stringer for Dallas last year who caught a good number of TD passes for the sole reason that he was being left in single coverage because he was lining up with Miles Austin and Dez Bryant.

This is all irrelevant anyway. Kansas will be well below the Jags by the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There isn't as much talent as there seems. Mercedes Lewis had one good year and has been average at best since. Laurent Robinson was a third stringer for Dallas last year who caught a good number of TD passes for the sole reason that he was being left in single coverage because he was lining up with Miles Austin and Dez Bryant.

This is all irrelevant anyway. Kansas will be well below the Jags by the end of the season.
    Lewis is spending too much time blocking to be affective in the passing game. I totally agree that the OL needs a lot of attention. I think they should pretend they are interested and then take a whopping deal to trade down and make the moves they need to give Gabbert the opportunity to be a really good QB.

Personally I think they are fine at receiver but we'll never know until they have a line that can protect the QB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

That's just stupid. Gabbert is going to be good. He's come along a fair bit this season. Jacksonville should invest some money in a o-line for him. Also the thought that any nfl gm would take Geno Smith over Barkley just baffles me.

Cam and RG3 say hi.

The writing was on the wall for Gabbert even last year, you need to do spectacular things to recover from being a running joke and he most certainly has not done that. The Jags aren't going to be waiting around on him if there's a cast-iron franchise option available to them, this isn't a Bradford (and Bradford happens to be a far better QB, of course) situation where a weighty contract helps guide the team to standing by their man. It looks like being the Jimmy Clausen to Cam Newton situation repeated right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Syferus wrote: »
    Cam and RG3 say hi.

The writing was on the wall for Gabbert even last year, you need to do spectacular things to recover from being a running joke and he most certainly has not done that. The Jags aren't going to be waiting around on him if there's a cast-iron franchise option available to them, this isn't a Bradford (and Bradford happens to be a far better QB, of course) situation where a weighty contract helps guide the team to standing by their man. It looks like being the Jimmy Clausen to Cam Newton situation repeated right now.

Why are you comparing Geno Smith to Newton and RG3? He's nothing like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

davyjose wrote: »

LOL

Ya can guess why!

Gabbert is terrible. He currently has more that 300 less passing yards than any other QB and his only win this year has came on an 80yd td pass on a blown coverage against the Colts.

If the Jags are picking 1st it's time to move on. The Jags went out and acquired weapons in the offseason and he is still unproductive.

If you look at the QB's taken with him (Newton, Ponder, Locker, Dalton) you can see something in all of those guys that would give you belief that they are your future QB.

Personally I struggle to see that in Gabbert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

HigginsJ wrote: »

Gabbert is terrible. He currently has more that 300 less passing yards than any other QB and his only win this year has came on an 80yd td pass on a blown coverage against the Colts.

If the Jags are picking 1st it's time to move on. The Jags went out and acquired weapons in the offseason and he is still unproductive.

If you look at the QB's taken with him (Newton, Ponder, Locker, Dalton) you can see something in all of those guys that would give you belief that they are your future QB.

Personally I struggle to see that in Gabbert.
    Nooooo....jags should keep gabbert!!!

On another note I heard rumours that MJD may be moved on before the start o next season! Then the offence will totally be on gabbert!! I'm not sure that would be great for them!

• Advertisement

taidghbaby wrote: »
    QUOTE]

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭SixtyTwo

Cam and RG3 say hi.

Smith is a pure pocket passer. Do you watch College Football at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

QUOTE]

Why?
    I'm a colts fan!

And yes I don know the irony that he beat us with a 80yard pass in the last seconds! More the colts fault though than gabberts brilliance!

On another note I heard rumours that MJD may be moved on before the start o next season! Then the offence will totally be on gabbert!! I'm not sure that would be great for them!

Can't see him being moved tbh. He's in the top two running backs in the league. I think he'll get paid by the jags, and paid well.

davyjose wrote: »

Smith runs the 40 in 4.70 seconds but even more importantly he's got good footwork and agility to boot. That's alot closer to the RG3s and the Steve Youngs of the world than the turret-style Peyton Mannings. The kid has all the tools to keep a defence honest beyond his arm.

If you really don't think the trend of Newton and RG3 (and yes, Tebow) in keeping plays alive with their feet - scrambling, rushing, whatever - has made a Geno Smith more valuable than he would have been four or five years ago and that teams then it's not me that's at fault. The trend isn't towards immobile quarterback play, RG3 is a 'pocket passer' in that he's perfectly comfortable under centre but that doesn't mean he won't take what a defence offers him. When defences are as poor as what Smith has faced there's not much need to use his feet so please, come back at me with stats that he doesn't rush much.

Nice try by the other lad claiming racism, though. Mature.

Smith runs the 40 in 4.70 seconds and he's likely to run under that at the combine. That's alot closer to the Rg3's and the Steve Youngs of the world than the Peyton Manning's. The kid has all the tools to keep a defence honest beyond his arm.

If you really don't think the successes of Newton and RG3 in keeping plays alive with their feet - scrambling, rushing, whatever has made a Geno Smith more valuable than he would have been four or five years ago then it's not me that's at fault. When defences are as poor as what Smith has faced there's not much need to use his feet so please, come back at me with stats that he doesn't rush much.

Nice try by the other lad at claiming racism, though. Mature.

All of this is irrelevant. Plenty of QBs can run with their feet. Take Aaron Rodgers would you compare him to Newton and RGIII? Rodgers ran a 4.71 in the Combine. Simple fact Smith is a Pocket QB and his stats in college show that. His pocket presence also shows that. Racist or not you are doing what a lot of analysts fall down on is comparing him to other black QBs who are also fast athletes.

Simple fact Geno Smith will not tuck and run unless it is absolutely necessary and even when you watch him now in college he wont run far or will slide pretty quickly to avoid the hit. He will only run in the same sense as Rodgers when there is a ton of space for him to do so. The fact he hates running in college will dictate his decision to be mobile in the Pros where defensive players are as fast and stronger than him.

Your understanding of different styles of QBs is baffling when you are clearly generalising by athleticism and in fact by colour.

When defences are as poor as what Smith has faced there's not much need to use his feet so please, come back at me with stats that he doesn't rush much.

And this shows you know nothing about Geno Smith WVU or College football.

SixtyTwo wrote: »
    All of this is irrelevant. Plenty of QBs can run with their feet. Take Aaron Rodgers would you compare him to Newton and RGIII? Rodgers ran a 4.71 in the Combine. Simple fact Smith is a Pocket QB and his stats in college show that. His pocket presence also shows that. Racist or not you are doing what a lot of analysts fall down on is comparing him to other black QBs who are also fast athletes.

Simple fact Geno Smith will not tuck and run unless it is absolutely necessary and even when you watch him now in college he wont run far or will slide pretty quickly to avoid the hit. He will only run in the same sense as Rodgers when there is a ton of space for him to do so. The fact he hates running in college will dictate his decision to be mobile in the Pros where defensive players are as fast and stronger than him.

Your understanding of different styles of QBs is baffling when you are clearly generalising by athleticism and in fact by colour.

Another silly, frothing attempt to bring it down to race. Why not throw in another 'you don't know anything about..' too?

The only reason I mentioned RG3 and Cam particularly is because they have changed how teams evaluate quarterbacks. It's matterless what colour their skin is. Teams are more willing to allow a QB be a dual threat and what's baffling to me is that someone would try to say when you're comparing Barkley and Smith that athletic ability would become one of the key questions in separating them.

You even touched on a prime example of what someone with probably less than Smith's ability can do: Aaron Rodgers. Under-rated rushing ability and vision is what makes him a better QB than Brady or Brees right now, defenses have to be prepared for him to rush when a play breaks down, particularly on the goal-line. No one is saying Smith is going to rush for 139 yards.

But go on, dig the hole deeper.

Another silly, frothing attempt to bring it down to race. Why not throw in another 'you don't know anything about..' too?

The only reason I mentioned RG3 and Cam particularly is because they have changed how teams evaluate quarterbacks. It's matterless what colour their skin is. Teams are more willing to allow a QB be a dual threat and what's baffling to me is that someone would try to say when you're comparing Barkley and Smith that athletic ability would become one of the key questions in separating them.

You even touched on a prime example of what someone with probably less than Smith's ability can do: Aaron Rodgers. Under-rated rushing ability and vision is what makes him a better QB than Brady or Brees right now, defenses have to be prepared for him to rush when a play breaks down, particularly on the goal-line. No one is saying Smith is going to rush for 139 yards.

Your lack of understanding and ignorance to the position of QB and the certain styles of QB is nuts. It is quite clear you so a clear lack of understanding on the type of QB Smith is and how he is coached and how he plays. It is also clear you don't watch WVU or College football.

For the record Barkely has run a 4.65 40 time. His times vary between 4.65 and 4.90. All college QBs are getting more athletic and faster. Look at the top 10 Pocket QBs on any of the scouting websites for even High school kids and a lot of the Pocket QBs are as fast as some of the so called scramblers. Kids are getting faster simple fact.

The downfall to all of this is that Defensive players are becoming just as fast. Just because a kid is fast and you pretend it gives him the edge it doesn't give you the right to be ignorant on position. Simple facts dont lie and Geno Smith is a Pocket QB and liek Rodgers will only run when he knows he has space to run. Just because RGIII and Newton have changed the way QBs are scouted doesn't mean NFL coaches wont see Smith for what he actually is. A Pocket QB.

:rolleyes: Yeah alright. You are clearly wrong in this instance and you can make all the excuses in the book that you want. But I do know QBs and I do know College Football and you are 100% wrong in your analysis on Smith. Most on here will agree with me who know college football and most of the good College football Analysists will also agree if you bothered to read their break downs on Smith

• Advertisement
Advertisement