Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 NFL DRAFT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

SantryRed wrote: »
    Te'o is just looking better and better.

This displeases me, he wont fall to us in the mid-high twenties. We're in dire need of a MLB, Keith Brooking is our best option and he's 53

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Syferus wrote: »
    Smith runs the 40 in 4.70 seconds but even more importantly he's got good footwork and agility to boot. That's alot closer to the RG3s and the Steve Youngs of the world than the turret-style Peyton Mannings. The kid has all the tools to keep a defence honest beyond his arm.

If you really don't think the trend of Newton and RG3 (and yes, Tebow) in keeping plays alive with their feet - scrambling, rushing, whatever - has made a Geno Smith more valuable than he would have been four or five years ago and that teams then it's not me that's at fault. The trend isn't towards immobile quarterback play, RG3 is a 'pocket passer' in that he's perfectly comfortable under centre but that doesn't mean he won't take what a defence offers him. When defences are as poor as what Smith has faced there's not much need to use his feet so please, come back at me with stats that he doesn't rush much.

Nice try by the other lad claiming racism, though. Mature.

He's more like Luck then. Luck can run the ball when he has to, and runs a 4.69. TBH, i wasn't trying to bait you but there are plenty of other QB's with good mobility, but it doesn't make them RG3 or Cam Newton.

Can't see him being moved tbh. He's in the top two running backs in the league. I think he'll get paid by the jags, and paid well.

Is his contract up? He might push for a move. I regard him as the best back in the league, and tbh with the exception of a handful of teams, everyone would fall over themselves to get him. Could you imagine him at New England, or Green Bay? they'd be unstoppable.

Then again, I'm a Colts fan and would do anything to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

davyjose wrote: »
    He's more like Luck then. Luck can run the ball when he has to, and runs a 4.69. TBH, i wasn't trying to bait you but there are plenty of other QB's with good mobility, but it doesn't make them RG3 or Cam Newton.

Did Luck not run pretty much the same 40 time as Cam at the combine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Did Luck not run pretty much the same 40 time as Cam at the combine?

He had a longer broad jump than Newton and a longer vertical jump than griffin, AFAIR.

Paully D wrote: »

Not bad for a white guy, eh syferus?

**Just Kidding, JUST KIDDING** ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

spiralism wrote: »
    This displeases me, he wont fall to us in the mid-high twenties. We're in dire need of a MLB, Keith Brooking is our best option and he's 53

philip-rivers-chargers_display_image.jpg

Ryan Lownes, NFL Draft analyst, is doing a mock draft right now using current placings:

https://twitter.com/ryanlownes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Not a fan of that mock draft tbh.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Not a fan of that mock draft tbh.

I haven't really found one that I like so far, but it's interesting to see what positions other people rank players etc.

No way in a billion years Manti Te'o falls that far. He's a born leader on D. He's a Ray Lewis and the best defensive player in college. Indy will snap him up if he's there IMO.

As for someone getting Barkley at 12. Good luck with that. Terrible mock draft.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Geno Smith isn't going no.1 . I can't see why someone would take him over Barkley. Barkley outside the top 10 is just dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can someone tell me what actually makes him a draft analyst? Does he even have a job doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Geno Smith isn't going no.1 . I can't see why someone would take him over Barkley. Barkley outside the top 10 is just dumb.

For what it's worth I follow a lot of these scouting type journalists on twitter who all agree Barkley is not an elite prospect, and will eventually be over drafted. I'll post up a link or two later on

• Advertisement

Out of interest, who would everyone choose top 10 if the draft was right now, using the current placings, so your 1-10 order is (based on the above mock draft):

1) Chiefs
    2) Panthers
    3) Jaguars
    4) Browns
    5) Saints
    6) Rams
    7) Rams
    8) Titans
    9) Jets
    10) Bengals

UCD AFC wrote: »
    For what it's worth I follow a lot of these scouting type journalists on twitter who all agree Barkley is not an elite prospect, and will eventually be over drafted. I'll post up a link or two later on

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout

Matt Miller is pretty good IMO. Always enjoy reading his stuff, and he got put on Madden 13 as one of their virtual analysts too, said this the other day:
    Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
    Fellow draft writers: Can we please spread the word that Matt Barkley isn't an elite prospect? Someone has lied to the general public.
    Very good chance Geno Smith is default No. 1 player, despite struggles here and there. 2013 isn't an elite class.

It's more of a project class. A lot of big sized players like Glennon, Manuel Thomas*(if he comes out which would be a mistake).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

When I asked him about Te'o going in the 20s, he mentioned Burfict and that anything is possible. I don't see how at this present moment, Te'o isn't a top 20 pick :pac:

SantryRed wrote: »
    When I asked him about Te'o going in the 20s, he mentioned Burfict and that anything is possible. I don't see how at this present moment, Te'o isn't a top 20 pick :pac:

That screams like this guy knows **** all where do you begin with a comment like that. Does he not remember where Luke Keuchly went? 9th overall! Te'o is going in the top 10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭SixtyTwo

Stev_o wrote: »
    That screams like this guy knows **** all where do you begin with a comment like that. Does he not remember where Luke Keuchly went? 9th overall! Te'o is going in the top 10.

In my eyes Te'o wont slip out of the Top 15 but to be fair to the guy there is many pundits and analysts and even coaches that don't believe Te'o is the best inside LB in College football right now and some reckon he could slip. But there is more than 1 NFL team that will bite on him earlier because of what he has done this year alone.

Out of interest, who would everyone choose top 10 if the draft was right now, using the current placings, so your 1-10 order is (based on the above mock draft):

1) Chiefs
    2) Panthers
    3) Jaguars
    4) Browns
    5) Saints
    6) Rams
    7) Rams
    8) Titans
    9) Jets
    10) Bengals

1. Geno Smith/Matt Barkley (too close to call at present between them)
    2. Star Lotuleiei (idealy trade down wit team desperate for smith/barkley)
    3. Matt Barkley/Geno Smith (if gm stays then jarvis jones)
    4. Jarvis Jones
    5. Sam Montgomery
    6. Luke Joeckel
    7. Keenan Allen (injury permitting, probable trade down in scenario of 2 top 10 picks)
    8. Bjoern Werner
    9. Barkevious Mingo
    10. Manti Te'o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Wish Jamarcus was here because ive watched a lot of USC this year and clearly Barkley is a top QB in college football but I dont know why but he reminds me of Mark Sanchez.

I watched a couple of Stanfords games last year because of the hype of Luck and was very impressed. Barkley just doesn't do it for me.

Robert Woods too, much more impressed with Lee.

Anyone agree with me or am I completely crazy?

I've seen a few draft writers have both Smith and Wilson ahead of Barkley in their mocks Rochey, so it's not just you.

Where is JaMarcus actually? :confused:

The problems with Barkley this year have made him drop in most scouts minds and analysts minds is inconsistencies and poor decisions. The failings of USC are not completely his fault though. A Beat up Oline and inconsistencies all over the place especially on their offense.

But what has made Barkley slip down the ranking is every Int he threw this year was his fault. For some reason he is hesitating on throws this year and he has also been giving up where he is throwing the ball by leading the WR with his eyes. He has made it easy for DBs to pick him off or bat the ball down.

Its weird though he is a fantastic QB and he will make a good QB in the NFL. Whatever QB coach he works with in the off season will snap the crap out of him and get him back to what he was last season and even at times this season.

For me when the team struggled in their losses and gave up on their designed plays it seemed to have a bad ripple affect on Barkley also.

Look at it this way though by not going first and dropping he has a better chance of finding a better team to work with and fix him.

SixtyTwo wrote: »
    In my eyes Te'o wont slip out of the Top 15 but to be fair to the guy there is many pundits and analysts and even coaches that don't believe Te'o is the best inside LB in College football right now and some reckon he could slip. But there is more than 1 NFL team that will bite on him earlier because of what he has done this year alone.

Interesting. Who've they got ahead of him?

That guy has 15 Defensive guys ahead of Te'o in that mock draft. Not one ILB though. I personally think Te'o has all the attributes to be a dominant LB in the NFL. He's top of my wishlist.

SixtyTwo wrote: »
    The problems with Barkley this year have made him drop in most scouts minds and analysts minds is inconsistencies and poor decisions. The failings of USC are not completely his fault though. A Beat up Oline and inconsistencies all over the place especially on their offense.

But what has made Barkley slip down the ranking is every Int he threw this year was his fault. For some reason he is hesitating on throws this year and he has also been giving up where he is throwing the ball by leading the WR with his eyes. He has made it easy for DBs to pick him off or bat the ball down.

Its weird though he is a fantastic QB and he will make a good QB in the NFL. Whatever QB coach he works with in the off season will snap the crap out of him and get him back to what he was last season and even at times this season.

For me when the team struggled in their losses and gave up on their designed plays it seemed to have a bad ripple affect on Barkley also.

Look at it this way though by not going first and dropping he has a better chance of finding a better team to work with and fix him.

I think he's trying to hit a home run, instead of moving the chains at times too. Going for the big plays are fine, but they're high-risk/high-reward and in college ball mistakes get heavily scrutinised. He's absolutely an elite QB though. for that "expert" to suggest otherwise is naive and reactionary.

Can't wait for tonights game BTW. GO DUCKS!!!!

Interesting. Who've they got ahead of him?

That guy has 15 Defensive guys ahead of Te'o in that mock draft. Not one ILB though. I personally think Te'o has all the attributes to be a dominant LB in the NFL. He's top of my wishlist.

Was watching a college preview show and they were saying it. Didn't catch who they were saying Ogletree from Georgia was one name I heard but they were talking about Ends/LB/DL in general and they said Te'o based on team needs were lower. They did mention there were guys ahead of him at ILB.

Personally I think they are wrong but it seems the thinking is out there if they are even talking about. Sometimes with scouts though that is all it takes for a guy to drop.

The joys of the draft lads, every man and his dog have a different opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

The joys of the draft lads, every man and his dog have a different opinion :)

and are usually always wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Trippie wrote: »
    and are usually always wrong

I've never met a dog that was wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

How times can change

Looking at the links in Paully's OP from July, only Walterfootball had Geno Smith in the top 10

One mock had him 34

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

Some of you guys are going to be shocked next April when Barkley falls. He isn't physically good enough to go #1. Look at Luck, Griffin III, Tannehill, Newton, Gabbert, Locker. Strong armed, athletic QBs.

Barkley's tape is underwhelming a lot of the time. I like this quote from a draft blog: Suddenly the voice in the war room pipes up. “This guy isn’t physically good enough. He’s just over 6-2, he’s not big or athletic. He’s a timing passer. He had great receivers.”

If I'm drafting a QB #1, I want a franchise changer. I don't see that in Barkley.

Would prefer Barkley to Gabbert or Locker, but you make some good points.

Would prefer Barkley to Gabbert or Locker, but you make some good points.

I would take him over Gabbert myself but I have to say I like Locker. He was looking alright this season until injury struck. That Titans Offensive line is awful though.

Would Barkley have been better off coming out of college for the 2012 draft then? Staying in this year doesn't seem to have done him any favours at all.

Would Barkley have been better off coming out of college for the 2012 draft then? Staying in this year doesn't seem to have done him any favours at all.

At this stage yes i'd say he would have been better off. I'd imagine he would probably have still gone ahead of RGIII. He would have ended up at the Skins or Browns at 2nd overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I still think he will go no.1 in the draft. And people raving on about Geno Smith just amaze me. I don't see what they see or maybe its that I see him being awful when faced with pressure.

Barkley for me is not just going to be good in the NFL, if he gets with the right team I think there is every chance he will be elite at the next level.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I still think he will go no.1 in the draft. And people raving on about Geno Smith just amaze me. I don't see what they see or maybe its that I see him being awful when faced with pressure.

So all those Coaches and analysts and Scouts are wrong then? Yeah alright. As for being awful when faced with pressure show me one game where his performance was poor due to pressure and he was awful. I have a feeling you are going to lay the teams losses on him. Don't forget he plays for WVU and they are not a great team.
    Barkley for me is not just going to be good in the NFL, if he gets with the right team I think there is every chance he will be elite at the next level.

Going at number 1 he wont get the right team and that is a problem for him. If a team takes him high and cant give him the support staff he will suffer. The scouting reports about him right now the main concern is consistency without the support staff USC have. Also you talk about pressure one of the main points against Barkley this season was about the same thing.

Both Smith and Barkely are now under pressure to prove their worth to NFL coaches and scouts and right now they all favour Smith. Still plenty of time for Barkley to convince scouts that he has what it takes.

Edit: To add I don't think either of them will be Elite in the Pros and this years class is just in the Very Good range. Work needed with most of the QBs that will enter the draft if they are to be ready to start effectively on a Pro team.

• Advertisement

Matt Miller has his QB's ranked as below:

1) Geno Smith
    2) Tyler Wilson
    3) Tyler Bray

He says Barkley and Jones are overrated by the highlight-media and that Barkley is just a system QB.

Matt Miller has his QB's ranked as below:

1) Geno Smith
    2) Tyler Wilson
    3) Tyler Bray

He says Barkley and Jones are overrated by the highlight-media and that Barkley is just a system QB.

barkleys big issue seems to be arm strength apparently its pathetic

barkleys big issue seems to be arm strength apparently its pathetic

They said that about Luck too. Luck has a freaking cannon. I'm not convinced that's Barkley's issue. We'll see. As eagle has pointed out, he hasn't had a great O line. We'll see. On 2011 form he can be beat good NFL QB. On this years form... Not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

I don't know many sensible people who said Luck had a weak arm. The general perception was that while he didn't have a Jay Culter arm he could make all the throws a potentially elite QB needed to be able to make. Barkley's numbers passing father than 20 yards have been poor but the main problem is how poor his range and accuracy is on the move or when he rolls out. He just doesn't deal with pressure well enough to make up for not having a canon arm.

The likes of Andy Dalton have shown you don't need a big arm coming out of college to be a professional QB but let's not kid ourselves into thinking it won't be a big part of any stock drop Barkley experiences.

Syferus wrote: »
    I don't know many sensible people who said Luck had a weak arm. The general perception was that while he didn't have a Jay Culter arm he could make all the throws a potentially elite QB needed to be able to make. Barkley's numbers passing father than 20 yards have been poor but the main problem is how poor his range and accuracy is on the move or when he rolls out. He just doesn't deal with pressure well enough to make up for not having a canon arm.

The likes of Andy Dalton have shown you don't need a big arm coming out of college to be a professional QB but let's not kid ourselves into thinking it won't be a big part of any stock drop Barkley experiences.
    Maybe not sensible, but there were lots of them, most prominent was former Super Bowl MVP Phil Simms.

Where do people see Mant'i Teo being drafted.

Mel Kiper is currently predicting the Chiefs to take him No.1 overall & the mock draft on walterfootball.com this week that had him going 4th overall to the Browns.

Now don't get me wrong, he is obviously an excellent player but this seems very high for an inside LB. There is alot of pass rushing talent available in the Top 10 this year along with 2 potential All-pro DT's & OT's

Personally I would see him going around 10th(similar to Kuechley last year) but anything higher than that would surprise me.

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Where do people see Mant'i Teo being drafted.

Mel Kiper is currently predicting the Chiefs to take him No.1 overall & the mock draft on walterfootball.com this week that had him going 4th overall to the Browns.

Now don't get me wrong, he is obviously an excellent player but this seems very high for an inside LB. There is alot of pass rushing talent available in the Top 10 this year along with 2 potential All-pro DT's & OT's

Personally I would see him going around 10th(similar to Kuechley last year) but anything higher than that would surprise me.

ya id be surprised with no 1 but people are starting to compare him to ray lewis if that talk gets going someone will get carried away

a lot can happen still with the interviews and the inevitable workout warriors at the combine but i think hell go top 5-6

He'll go top 10 IMO. The kid is special; he consistently makes plays, he's fast and has great anticipation.
    If he drops into the 20s, I'd love to see Indy pick him up. He won't though. Even without the hype, he's a top 20 pick, any year.

no way hes gona be there that late davy i think hes one of the safest picks in this years draft he will be a good player just how good if he goes top 5 he needs to be a ray lewis,patrick willis type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I think he'll be top 5 because he has all the skills to be great but as a team leader and a high character guy he excels, owners and GMs would love to have him as a face of the franchise.
    I've seen him mocked to the Raiders a few times, that to me would seem like the worse fit possible for him. (Chargers fan so i'm biased)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Mathieu is entering the draft anyway! God only knows where he'll be taking if he is! I'm not sure about him as a CB (size primarily against the big WR's in the league) to be honest, but he makes a lot of big plays so he might be more suited to a Free Safety and punt returner role in the NFL!

• Advertisement
Advertisement