Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 NFL DRAFT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Mathieu is entering the draft anyway! God only knows where he'll be taking if he is! I'm not sure about him as a CB (size primarily against the big WR's in the league) to be honest, but he makes a lot of big plays so he might be more suited to a Free Safety and punt returner role in the NFL!

I know we wont draft him but would love if we did. Could see Fewell scheming him to get plenty of big play chances.

I presume he will go undrafted with everything that has gone on

If he cops on he could be a great player but he's the most troublesome prospect I remember in years possibly not worth tge hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

He seems too small to me, wouldn't like to see him matched up with Calvin Johnson or any of the other big WRs. Great ball hawking skills but i think he'd give up the big play too. Off season issues means he'll likely go undrafted but i do think he'll make a roster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

OAOB wrote: »
    He seems too small to me, wouldn't like to see him matched up with Calvin Johnson or any of the other big WRs. Great ball hawking skills but i think he'd give up the big play too. Off season issues means he'll likely go undrafted but i do think he'll make a roster

a small ball hawker sounds like Asante Samuel to me and he aint had too bad of an NFL career ;)

personally id also look to play him free safety in the NFL, hes got skills but a serious personality question mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

The Chiefs are stupid enough to take him #1 with their black hole at QB, anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think he'll be top 5 because he has all the skills to be great but as a team leader and a high character guy he excels, owners and GMs would love to have him as a face of the franchise.
    I've seen him mocked to the Raiders a few times, that to me would seem like the worse fit possible for him. (Chargers fan so i'm biased)

I'd vomit if we took Teo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I'd vomit if we took Teo.

Why? Think its too high or just not the biggest need

Why? Think its too high or just not the biggest need

Both. MLB's are over-rated. A MLB is rarely a consistently game changer in terms of sacks, ints etc. If you're going top 5 I want a guy who can consistently make big plays, I think due to the nature of the position MLB never really do that.

Both. MLB's are over-rated. A MLB is rarely a consistently game changer in terms of sacks, ints etc. If you're going top 5 I want a guy who can consistently make big plays, I think due to the nature of the position MLB never really do that.

Thats a ludacris comment. How can the MLB position be over rated :rolleyes: A good MLB is a huge asset to any defense. Often they can make a weak D Line look decent by covering their asses big time in the run game and with TE's becoming more and more important in the passing game these days a MLB who can cover in the passing game is huge.

Im not saying Teo should go top 5 but to say the MLB position is overrated is crazy.

D3PO wrote: »
    Thats a ludacris comment. How can the MLB position be over rated :rolleyes: A good MLB is a huge asset to any defense. Often they can make a weak D Line look decent by covering their asses big time in the run game and with TE's becoming more and more important in the passing game these days a MLB who can cover in the passing game is huge.

Im not saying Teo should go top 5 but to say the MLB position is overrated is crazy.

Well I was talking in terms of the draft. A MLB should never be drafted in the top 10 imo. A good kicker is a huge asset to a team, doesn't mean you should draft one top 5 either. At the end of the day there is no MLB in the league I'd want covering Gronk, give me a safety all day. The same with other TE's. In terms of positional importance a MLB is down near the bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

For me MLB is the QB of the defense. He's involved in more plays than anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Pass rushers are more valued in the draft than MLB's! Teo is a special talent but he could slip out of the top 10 IMO!

The NFL is nearly all about throwing the ball these days so QB's, LT's and pass rushers will be more valued than Inside linebackers, running backs and run blockers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Teams will fall in love with his 'intangelibles' and it only takes one team tI put his stock sky-high. I can't see him lower than top 5 unless he does something other than be the heartbeat of the ND defense.

Well I was talking in terms of the draft. A MLB should never be drafted in the top 10 imo. A good kicker is a huge asset to a team, doesn't mean you should draft one top 5 either. At the end of the day there is no MLB in the league I'd want covering Gronk, give me a safety all day. The same with other TE's. In terms of positional importance a MLB is down near the bottom.
    Ed reed is one of the greatest cover safety's ever but ask the ravens who's been more important to them him or ray Lewis

Look at the best defenses in the NFL. They all have elite tallents at MLB. Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Patrick Willis, thats not a coincidence.

look at the difference a mediocre defense like the Falcons this year. Weatherspoon comes back from injury and all of a sudden they are far more solid.

look at how much Houston are stuggling without Cushing.

Look at last years Eagles "dream team" no MLB and they were destroyed as a result of it despite having all this "elite" tallent on both sides of the ball.

To say a MLB is down near the bottom in positional importance is off the mark. A team should always draft on need or on the best thats left on the board. To ignore somebody due to their position and draft elsewhere is a bad move by any front office that does it IMO.

In theory the Browns shouldnt have drafted Richardson so high last year given hes a RB, but they saW him as a talent and took him. You cant argue with that logic

Look at last years Eagles "dream team" no MLB and they were destroyed as a result of it despite having all this "elite" tallent on both sides of the ball.

Yea that's why they were poor :rolleyes:

I agree that MLB will be down list of priorities for most teams. QB's, Pass-rushers and OT's are way more important in the current game.

On the defensive side lesser talents like Montgomery, Mingo, Damantre Moore will merit consideration to be taken before him because of the positions they play.

Talent wise he is probably top 5 with Jarvis Jones, Star Lotulelei, Luke Joeckel and Dee Milliner

Look at the best defenses in the NFL. They all have elite tallents at MLB. Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Patrick Willis, thats not a coincidence.

look at the difference a mediocre defense like the Falcons this year. Weatherspoon comes back from injury and all of a sudden they are far more solid.

look at how much Houston are stuggling without Cushing.

To say a MLB is down near the bottom in positional importance is off the mark. A team should always draft on need or on the best thats left on the board. To ignore somebody due to their position and draft elsewhere is a bad move by any front office that does it IMO.

In theory the Browns shouldnt have drafted Richardson so high last year given hes a RB, but they saW him as a talent and took him. You cant argue with that logic

Texan have the best D in the league, who's been their ILB for the year? Prime example as they lost their best ILB and people thought they would struggle but they have still been great. Watt is far more important to that team. I'd also argue Aldon Smith is far more important to the 49ers success. When the Giants won their superbowls they did it because of their defense mainly, and it wasn't due to their MLB. My basic point was that if given the choice between elite pass rusher or elite MLB I'm taking the pass rusher all the time.

When the Giants won their superbowls they did it because of their defense mainly, and it wasn't due to their MLB.

Good aul Chase Blackburn. Possibly the least athletic player in football.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Good aul Chase Blackburn. Possibly the least athletic player in football.

na Jamarcus Russell wins that category :P on a serioius note though he arguably make the most critical play of the superbowl ;)

dont get me wrong lads im not saying QB Oline or Pass Rush talent shouldnt be hovered up if elite. Im not turning down an Andrew Luck or Von Miller for a Manti Teo Im just saying that to dismiss MLB talent for a middle of the road QB,DE or OT would be a poor decision by any front office so that should mean he is a top 10 draft pick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

That's crazy. A player is worth what he's worth. Nobody blinked when a Left tackle and Defensive end went ahead of Matt Ryan in the 2008 draft. If a guy is an absolute monster at a position, and you have a need, then you'd be crazy to pass him up. Baltimore would not have been the defensive powerhouse that they have been over the last 15 years without Lewis, and if the '96 draft had a do-over, he'd be first or second pick, no question.

The fact is, there aren't many MLB's like Te'o that come around very often. And there aren't many "sure things" in football. Pass him up because he's merely a MLB all you want, that's fine... someone else will get him, and make you regret it for the next decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

i think hes one of the safest picks in this years draft

Last time I heard people constantly say a player was a safe pick, the Seahawks took Aaron Currey at pick 4 in 2009

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-04-19-aaron-curry-cover_N.htm
    Curry has been labeled the "safest pick in the draft."

"It's great to hear," Curry says. "It means you can't go wrong.

Bust!

Manti Te’o is a different player of course, just calling a pick safe grabbed my attention, that's all.

Mike would you believe I was only talkin about that to a fella yesterday I know there's no safe pick but ur playin the percentages

I'm no draft guru, just reading several sources and watching youtube (yes I know highlight tapes don't show everything) and here is my hackers attempt at the Baltimore Ravens draft

I'm going to conservatively guess pick 28, I have to pick a number

Round 1

Ozzie Newsome our GM just looooooves 'Bama players.
    It's nothing strange, many GM's show a preference for their old college

Ravens select:
    Barret Jones
    Center, University of Alabama
    6' 5", 311 lbs

Ravens like versatile players and Jones has played left tackle, guard and center.
    He is needed at center in the NFL, Matt Birk is a great pro but sorry, he is done and needs to retire.
    Ravens selected 4th round center Gino Gradowski last year but he seems undersized and a bit average, need to see more before naming him starter.

If you want to quote me and say he's going top 15 and no playoff team will have a shot and I'm projecting nonsense, that's fine.

In that case we still go to Alabama and take CJ Mosley, linebacker

2nd round

Ravens were once known for run defense and went 39 games without allowing a 100 yard rusher.
    They have been embarressed this season and it's just unacceptable

Ma'ake Kemoeatu was undrafted in 2002, spent 4 years in Baltimore before going to Carolina and Washington and then he was cut.
    Balloned up to 400lbs as a FA, he worked back to playing weight and made the Ravens team.
    However he's terrible, no new contract for you son

Terence "Mount" Cody has been a dissapointment this year.
    Who can ever forget his topless photos before the draft :eek:

He went in the 2nd round, was looked upon as a steal, ok first season, decent second seaon, lost a lot of weight this summer and has been abused all season long.

Never more obvious then Chris Meyers and the Texans zone blocking scheme when the Ravens got a whipping that game.
    Not all Cody's fault of course but he got singled out by the national media.

We need a nose tackle, give me...

Louis Nix
    Defensive tackle, Notre Dame
    6’4” 322lbs

Good size, talented player and will fill a postion of need

3rd round

Can never have too many pass rushers.

Cory Redding followed Pagano to the Colts and the wily vet is badly missed.
    Pernell McPhee was playing hurt most of the year, Art Jones is starting to take off with 2 sacks last week but we need another defensive end, it's a premium position

Brandon Jenkins
    Defensive End, Florida State
    6’3” 260lbs

But for injury issues he's be higher up the draft board, this could be steal

From wiki he 62 tackles, 13.5 sacks, and 21.5 tackles as a sophomore and was team MVP
    Lead the team in sacks for past two seasons but missed this year due to a foot injury.
    Homework and due diligence will have to be done but I look forward to seeing this guy at the combine

4th round

Levine Toilolo
    Tight End, Stanford
    6' 8" 265lbs

Ravens look to draft a Tight End before the Patriots snap all of them up :pac:

We have fan favourite Dennis Pitta, a 4th round pick who has the best hands on the team! But is a poor blocker.
    There is 3rd round pick Ed Dickson who was actually the starter ahead of Pitta for a long while but he has some shocking drops and is an abysmal blocker. :mad:
    There is a 3rd stringer Billy Bajema who was signed from the Rams but he's very average at everything.
    Last season our 3rd stringer was Kris Wilson who I always liked, scored a TD in the playoffs, beast of special teams but was let go and is still a FA. He'd spent a few years at the Chargers before that

Toilolo is physical speciman, a valuable target in the red zone and a good blocker who will improve.
    Something new

5th round

Ravens have needs at quite a few positions but give me a middle linebacker

Brandon Ajanbadego will be 37, Ray Lewis will be 38,
    Danelle Ellerbe shows flashes, can be great one game and brutal the next.
    Jameel McClain stepped up as leader now but he's certainly not elite.
    Albert McClennan looks a good young player but some say he'd be better as an outside linebacker.

You'll notice with the exception of Lewis, everyone of those went undrafted.
    No team takes more undrafted linebackers then the Ravens

We need someone new

Andrew Jackson,
    Middle Linebacker, Western Kentucky
    6' 1", 262lbs

Weight seems high, I know Ray Lewis slimmed down this off season and said it was to help with coverage.
    I wouldn't claim to know ideal weight, just something that grabbed my attention.
    He is known as a good run defender anyway and Ravens need help here!

NFL draft scout have him as the 4th best MLB in the draft so I like the value in the 5th round.

I also read he's from the same home town as Ray Lewis, ok it means nothing but I like it :). Bartlow, Florida

6th round

Now we take a few flyers. We don't need running backs or wide receivers but we could do with a new cornerback

We released Danny Gorrer who I always liked :(
    Went to Seattle and was swiftly cut again and now plays for the Bucs

Ladarius Webb is coming off a second ACL, he's arguably our best defensive player.
    Jimmy Smith is still making ridiculous errors, yes it's a difficult position but he's very inconsistent.
    Cary Williams rejected a 3 year 15 million deal :rolleyes:. On your way son, the reason you got 4 picks is the QB's pick on you all day.
    Cory Graham wasn't getting an opportuninty in Chicago, came to Baltimore and is now a starter, give that man a deal
    There is young Chykie Brown and Asa Jackson, good special teamers but we'll get someone new for camp

Sanders Commings
    Cornerback, Georgia
    6'1" 216lbs, 4.54 40 time

Can play cornerback and free safety too, I like the versatility as there are needs at both spots.
    Maybe his long term future is free safety and that's fine, he can fight for a roster spot for this too.

SEC co-defensive player of the week back in October with 2 picks and 5 tackles.

However a suspension and arrest for domestic violence has me concerned!

Round 7

I wanted to address cornerback and safety and feel I've done this in round 6

I was thinking of taking a flyer on a QB, Tyrod Taylor is the backup and we have Dennis Dixon on the practice squad, he's started a few games for the Steelers.

However I think his practice squad eligibility is up so he can't be put there next year.
    Nor would he accept being put there.
    Yeah, I'll leave it, I'm not drafting a QB

Give me another safety as Sean Considine who Harbaugh knew from his time at the Eagles is the worst player on the team imo. Worthless!

Rashard Hall,
    Free Safety, Clemson
    6' 1", 210lbs, 4.52 40 time

With his size he may be able to contribute on special teams and he can have a try at beating out last years 6th round pick Christian Thompson.
    Lead his team in interceptions with 4 picks and that's 3rd in the conference.
    A ball hawk, lets see
    Won't lie, I've no idea if he'd be around this late but free safetys don't get drafted that high anyway.

Criticism is welcome, I don't mind, here to learn :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

For the Colts, would love to get Luke Joeckel in the first! Doubt he falls outside top 10 though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fantastic read that Mike, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

I'd take Alec Ogeltree over Teo. As a former safety his athletic ability is of the charts, do it all linebacker and he has a nasty mean streak. I don't see the elite potential with Teo that I see with Ogeltree.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RGIII

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Criticism is welcome, I don't mind, here to learn :)

Only problem I'd have is you're a bit generous on where you draft some of players. Good draft.

Good read Mike.

Raf32 wrote: »
    For the Colts, would love to get Luke Joeckel in the first! Doubt he falls outside top 10 though!
    A huge need an from what I've seen (very limited) and more so what I've heard (Matt Miller rates him higher than Kallil) he could be one of the top tackles to come out in the draft over the last few years!

Unfortunately it's unlikely he falls to the colts!

• Advertisement

A huge need an from what I've seen (very limited) and more so what I've heard (Matt Miller rates him higher than Kallil) he could be one of the top tackles to come out in the draft over the last few years!

Unfortunately it's unlikely he falls to the colts!
    Apparently he's very similar to jake long of so he's going top 5 I'm hoping the eagle get him

Yes Eagles could do with him badly, would love colts to get him, luck needs much better protection from his line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Yes Eagles could do with him badly, would love colts to get him, luck needs much better protection from his line!

Colts wil have about $30 million more cap space next year AFAIK. Look to see that O line reinforced one way or another. Luck sees way too much pressure and its one of the reasons he's been throwing picks and incompletions. I had thought coming into this season, the D was where we needed to draft/trade. But it's that Oline, IMO.

Ryan Lownes doing an updated draft now:

1) Womack
    2) Jake Matthews
    3) Dion Jordan
    4) Luke Joeckel
    5) Mingo
    6) Star Loteiulu
    7) Dee Milliner
    8) T'eo
    9) Taylor Lewan
    10) Johnathon Banks

davyjose wrote: »

Colts wil have about $30 million more cap space next year AFAIK. Look to see that O line reinforced one way or another. Luck sees way too much pressure and its one of the reasons he's been throwing picks and incompletions. I had thought coming into this season, the D was where we needed to draft/trade. But it's that Oline, IMO.
    Yeah I'm pretty much agreeing completely here with ya! A pass rushing OLB is also very important (I don't think Freeney comes back next year to be honest) but the more we get through the season I'm thinking O-line! Castanzo has been quite good so far this year at LT but I think our big problem is the interior of the line! Barrett Jones could be an interesting one given his versatility!!

Barrett Jones could be an interesting one given his versatility!!

Hands off :pac:

He's a Raven

mikemac1 wrote: »

Hands off :pac:

He's a Raven
    Ah no there's no value in the late first round in next years draft....Ozzie will trade back to the second ;)

Next years draft class looks pretty weak in comparasion to this years already

Next years draft class looks pretty weak in comparasion to this years already

It seems to be excellent in the trenches. There's not many (if any, actually) really explosive players that will get people off their seats though.

Great draft for those that need to strengthen their lines but an absolutely awful draft for those picking at the top who need someone to build their franchise around.

Paully D wrote: »
    It seems to be excellent in the trenches. There's not many (if any, actually) really explosive players that will get people off their seats though.

Great draft for those that need to strengthen their lines but an absolutely awful draft for those picking at the top who need someone to build their franchise around.

Yup fully agree with that. should help the Colts so :D

• Advertisement

Scout Inc have listed their top 250:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rankings?year=2013

They only show 32 there (if you're an insider subscriber you get to see them all) but anyway, interesting to see who they have in the top 32.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Interesting to see no Jake Matthews there

looking at the eagles possible draft picks I think they will trade back down the draft if they don't they will likely go for either

luke joeckel
    star lotuelei

iv read up on joeckel a bit and apparently hes one of the safest bets in the draft and is potentially a jake long/ joe Thomas standard player

my issue is with star im not really sure what kind of standard he is if hes going top 5 is he kong suh good?
    or is it just that this draft is relatively weak?

the reason im curious is I feel we have a decent situation at dt so for people to be mentioning him with us at pick no 4 he would have to be unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Heffo001

looking at the eagles possible draft picks I think they will trade back down the draft if they don't they will likely go for either

luke joeckel
    star lotuelei

iv read up on joeckel a bit and apparently hes one of the safest bets in the draft and is potentially a jake long/ joe Thomas standard player

my issue is with star im not really sure what kind of standard he is if hes going top 5 is he kong suh good?
    or is it just that this draft is relatively weak?

the reason im curious is I feel we have a decent situation at dt so for people to be mentioning him with us at pick no 4 he would have to be unreal

In my opinion this is a pretty good class in terms of depth, but it probably just lacks elite players in skill positions like the last few drafts. Manti Te'o and Chance Warmack could considered elite players in their respective positions, but Warmack could slip out of the top 20 like De Castro last year and it's not unthinkable Te'o could slip out of the top 10 because of their positions.

People seem very high on Lotueleli and unlike Poe last year he actually has good production to go with his impressive athleticism. I imagine people will be drawing comparisons between Lotueleli and Haloti Ngata as the draft approaches.

Joeckel has continued to rise up draft boards this year as well with his impressive handling of some of the best DE's that the SEC has to offer.

Imo the Eagles probably couldn't go too far wrong selecting either in the top 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

We'll trade out of the first round I hope. We need a couple of picks and trading down isn't a bad idea in this draft. We'll need a few DLine and OLine picks.

We'll trade out of the first round I hope. We need a couple of picks and trading down isn't a bad idea in this draft. We'll need a few DLine and OLine picks.

Never going to happen. Jerry Reese will stay where he is n draft whatever is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Luke Joeckel imo is the best player in the draft. In saying that I aint see much of Star

Will tonight's performance affect Geno Smith's draft stock much?

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Will tonight's performance affect Geno Smith's draft stock much?

dont think so unless he really blows tonight and another qb rocks a bowl/the combine i think he going number one

Advertisement