Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 NFL DRAFT

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

eagle eye wrote: »
    I was just thinking about Chip Kelly and he could bring in Vince Young on very low money as insurance. He still has the athletic ability and I think he would thrive in Kelly's system, thats of course if Kelly's playbook can be successful in the NFL.

Thats actually something that should really be considered. If VY can get mentally prepared and dedicated he has something to offer and would really fit into an offence like that. He had some very very good moments in Tennessee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Hazys wrote: »

For example, Vince Wilfork is one of the best DTs in football but rarely shows up heavily on the Box Score because he is double teamed. So he takes away two players so others can make plays.

Wilfork is one of the best DT's in the game. My knowledge of the game had to go a long way, before I figured this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I was just thinking about Chip Kelly and he could bring in Vince Young on very low money as insurance. He still has the athletic ability and I think he would thrive in Kelly's system, thats of course if Kelly's playbook can be successful in the NFL.

Kelly does not necessarily need the same kind of personnel as he had at Oregon. His resume shoes he's worked with various kinds of Offenses before his time at Oregon.

Having said that, he could work very well with Young. He got to the championship game with Darron Thomas. I expect a lot of high-risk, high-reward type plays with Kelly, a hurry up offense, and a revolution to the fourth down. Kelly's attitude seems to be, you waste 25% of your downs by punting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Gametape for most positions is the most important but for pass-rushers I'd take combine numbers over gametape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

This is a great article on how to draft a pass rusher with some really good analysis.

Here

lads how do ye feel about eddie lacy he looks to be a very good player and he put up good numbers but he was running behind an insane o-line warmack in particular could be a top 5 guard in the nfl from day one he seems to be a bit of a fenom.

is that the main reason for his success people are talking about him going round 1 but he seems a but over rated.

or am i doing him wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

When teams set up interviews with players at shrine game or senior bowl what sort of questions would they have for players?

Are teams interested in all the guys they interview and is it a good way to gauge how a team might be looking at the draft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

lads how do ye feel about eddie lacy he looks to be a very good player and he put up good numbers but he was running behind an insane o-line warmack in particular could be a top 5 guard in the nfl from day one he seems to be a bit of a fenom.

is that the main reason for his success people are talking about him going round 1 but he seems a but over rated.

or am i doing him wrong

Doesn't matter he plays HB and the draft has proven that you can find quality at that position in the late rounds. Unless your on another world like AP drafting a HB that high may be a waste especially if you have other holes to fill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

That only applies for top 5-10 picks. Late first round/early second round RBs have quite good track records of success.

Just because some teams can find gems it doesn't mean every team can afford to overlook talent and need in the hope of doing similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Syferus wrote: »
    That only applies for top 5-10 picks. Late first round/early second round RBs have quite good track records of success.

Just because some teams can find gems it doesn't mean every team can afford to overlook talent and need in the hope of doing similar.

If anyone needs an example of this, NYJ last 3 years

Joe McKnight (done well on ST, the odd long run)
    Bilal Powell (doesn't seem to be anything special)
    Terrance Ganaway (6th rounder, now at St Louis)

HigginsJ wrote: »
    When teams set up interviews with players at shrine game or senior bowl what sort of questions would they have for players?

Are teams interested in all the guys they interview and is it a good way to gauge how a team might be looking at the draft?

Not 100% sure on questions. I'd presume it's personel and game questions. I know CJ was asked at his combine interviews if he ever took drugs for example. Also QB's/LB's would be asked to draw up certain plays and run through them, pro's and cons of using it, when to use it etc. I'd say every team drafts at least one player they interview at some point, I'd consider it a definite sign of interest. I'm sure teams interview players just to throw off other teams as well and then don't interview the guy they actually want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Anyone watching the Senior Bowl?

I like Cornelius Washington from Georgia Bulldogs at defensive end

Blew past his blocker two times in a row just now and got a sack

A quick google has most websites rating him very low, around the 7th round

6'4" 245
    Broad Jump: 9'9"
    Vertical Jump: 38"
    40 Yard Dash: 4.29s
    Bench Reps (225): 26x

Plently of criticism out there for him

But sure what team doesn't want more pass rush

I'll be watching out for him anyway

May as well add a pic
    6_271792.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Ziggy Ansah having a monster game. Excellent against the run.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Apparently the QB's aren't looking good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Apparently the QB's aren't looking good ?

From what I've seen it hasn't been pretty!

I presume it's tough though working with new receivers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Ansah with a big play! His arms look the same size as most people's legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭robluvshandegg

Tyrann Mathieu is someone I'd be very interested in. The off the field stuff is relatively minor (he smoked weed a few times), on the field he has a ton of natural ability and he could be polished into a very very good all-round corner given a few years. Good few teams out there who would be willing to take him.

Tyrann Mathieu is someone I'd be very interested in. The off the field stuff is relatively minor (he smoked weed a few times), on the field he has a ton of natural ability and he could be polished into a very very good all-round corner given a few years. Good few teams out there who would be willing to take him.
    The issue with him is not what he did its that he did it again and again and didn't care about getting suspended etc. he's also a bit short but a big play guy I think a team will take a flyer on him in the 6-7th but I'd be supprised to see him before that

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Heffo001

He continually failed drugs tests and ended up getting suspended from LSU. Then rather than going down the small schools route he decided he would go back to LSU as a student and possibly get back in their good books and enter himself into a rehabilitation programme. Not long after he got caught in a drugs bust with a number of other former LSU players and although he was only charged with Simple Possession, one of the guys was charged with possession with intent to distribute.

At the very least teams have to be worried that he keeps making terrible decisions and puts him self in stupid situations. Then add to that the fact that his coverage ability as a corner was in doubt even when he had his great season in 2011 and he is a bit undersized for the position. I think if he does well in the pre-draft process the late rounds may be the best possible scenario for him.

I love the Honeybadger but he has badly let himself down over the last 18 months. He prob wont be drafted IMO.

Aside from that his size is poor for the way he plays the game. I would imagine that being moved to safety is prob being his best chance to succeed. He has great ball hawking ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I love the Honeybadger but he has badly let himself down over the last 18 months. He prob wont be drafted IMO.

Aside from that his size is poor for the way he plays the game. I would imagine that being moved to safety is prob being his best chance to succeed. He has great ball hawking ability.
    He will definately be picked up but way down the pecking order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Personally think Jonathan Cyprien looked very good, apparently impressed a lot during the week too. Louis Delmas has been working out with him as they went to the same high school. He's rated as #4 in safety's and projected to go around rounds 4-5 according to NFL Draft Scout.com. He'd be a great pickup for someone that far down the board. I would be very happy if my Ravens picked him up.

Also, if you believe word coming from others on campus at LSU, smoking weed "once or twice" wasn't the issue. Smoking weed every single day was the issue, and rumours that he failed over half a dozen drug tests before Miles decided to get rid.

Also, I'd say it's not the weed that NFL teams are most wary of, it's the fact that he was arrested for it a week after coming out of rehab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Every day? How talented could that young man be if he gave it up?

Every day? How talented could that young man be if he gave it up?

Doesn't affect athletic performance in the slightest unless he was smoking it right before the game.

Doesn't affect athletic performance in the slightest unless he was smoking it right before the game.

He plays for LSU, not Michigan.

Da-dum-tish :D

I'm sure this will change with the combine and pro day but I have had a shot at creating a mock draft

1. Kansas City Chiefs: Luke Joeckel - OT - TexasA&M. The Chiefs badly need a QB but right now it would be way too much of a reach. There is still time for Geno Smith to impress and push himself into this spot

2. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jarvis Jones - OLB - Georgia. The Jags need help getting to the QB. Jones has been a college sensation. Has a few health questions to answer but the obvious Von Miller comparisons make Jones a great pick here.

3. Oakland Raiders: Star Lotulelei - NT - Utah. Tommy Kelly and Richard Seymour are nearing the end of the line. Raiders need help at all defensive positions so best available and Lotulelei can be a star.

4. Philadelphia Eagles: Dee Milliner - CB - Alabama. Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie may not be back next year so Millimer fills a big hole and is one of the best available players

5. Detroit Lions: Bjorn Werner - DE - Florida State. The Lions need a corner or safety but none re worth picking here. Werner can replace an aging Van Den Bosch or Cliff Avril if he is not re-signed

6. Cleveland Browns: Damontre Moore - DE - Texas A&M. The Browns have one of the better young D's in the NFL and Moore could be the final piece

7. Arizona Cardinals: Eric Fisher - OT - Central Michigan. Kevin Kolb is worth one more shot. No QB would have been successful behind the mess of an o-line that the cards had. Fisher had a great senior bowl and could possibly climb to the Eagles at 4 if Joeckel goes 1.

8. Buffalo Bills: Geno Smith - QB - West Virginia. The Bills finally get a franchise QB. Their is alot of talent on offence with Stevie Johnson and CJ Spiller as dynamic weapons. Smith can get the best out of them.

9. New York Jets: Keenan Allen - WR - California. The Jets are tied to Sanchez for one more season. Adding Allen will give him at least a chance to be successful. At worst their rookie QB next year will have someone to work with

10. Tennessee Titans: Chance Warmack - OG - Alabama. Guards are not worth a top 10 pick. Warmack is a special case. CJ2K and Jake Locker will love playing behind this guy

11. San Diego Chargers: Lane Johnson - OT - Oklahoma. Phillip Rivers needs to be protected. Johnson had a great senior bowl week and is well worth the pick here.

12. Miami Dolphins: Ezekial Ansah - DE - BYU. Dolphins need WR and DE help. Ansah is a very raw JPP type player. Another who could transform a sensational senior bowl performance into an enhance draft stock.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jonathan Banks - CB- Mississippi St. The Bucs apparently love Banks so here they go.

14. Carolina Panthers: Jonathan Hankins - NT - Ohio State. The Panters were pretty poor against the run this year. Hankinsis a huge upgrade over what they have already.

15. New Orleans Saints: Dion Jordan - DE/OLB - Oregon. Jordan is an athletic phenom who will help the Saints D. He can play end in 4-3 or OLB in 3-4 and is athletic enough to drop into coverage

16. St. Louis Rams: Cordarelle Paterson - WR - Tennessee. The Rams would love to take an oline man here but no one is worth the pick. Paterson teamed with Amendola and Givens will give Sam Bradford a chance to be successful

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Barkevious Mingo - DE/OLB - LSU. The Steelers need to get younger on D. Mingo looks a natural fit as a rush OLB and could be a replacement for James Harrison

18. Dallas Cowboys: Kenny Vaccaro - SS - Texas. Monte Kiffen means a 4-3 2 deep safety look. The Cowboys personnel is not really suitable. Irregardless they need an upgrade at safety and Vaccaro is that guy

19. New York Giants: Kevin Minter - LB - LSU. Chase Blackburn is a very average player. Minter is similar to Luke Kuechley a s this will give the Giants D a chance to get some stops and to cover TE's.

20. Chicago Bears: Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame. Jay Cutler needs someone other than Brandon Marshall to throw the ball too. Eifert is an underrated blocker and is a great pass catcher

21. Cincinati Bengals: Manti Te'o -LB - Notre Dame. Te'o can replace Rey Maleluga in the middle of the Bengals D. Te'o was poor in the BCS title game and the hoax involving a fake girlfriend who fake died could yet push his stock lower. For now he remains in the 1st

22. St. Louis Rams: Jonathan Cooper - OG - North Carolina. A badly needed upgrade to the Rams oline. Protecting Sam Bradford has to become a priority

23. Minnesota Vikings: Justin Hunter - WR - Tennessee. Irregardless of Percy Harvin being resigned the Vikes need more help at WR.

24. Indianapolis Colts: Sheldon Richarson - DT - Missouri. The Colts transitioned to a 4-3 D this year so need help. Richardson can play both DE & DT and is a very effective pass-rusher

25. Seattle Seahawks: Sam Montgomery - DE - LSU. Chris Clemons injury hurt them against the Falcons. Bruce Irvin may never be anything more than a situational pass-rusher. Montgomery has the potential to be a lot more

26. GreenBay Packers: Zach Ertz - TE - Stanford. Jermichael Finley is terribly inconsistent and is due $8million dollars. He is unlikely to be back so will need to be replaced

27. Houston Texans: Alec Ogletree - LB - Georgia. Bradie James is aging and Brian Cushing is coming off an ACL injury. Ogletree can cover both or start if either struggles

28. Denver Broncos: Jesse Williams - NT - Alabama. Derek Wolfe was picked last year but spent alot of time at DE. Williams is a no nonsense NT who will help free up pass rushers

29. New England Patriots: Quinton Patton - WR - Louisiana Tech. As a complement to Brandon Lloyd or a replacement for Wes Welker, Patton is now a 1st rounder after a sterling week at the senior bowl

30. Atlanta Falcons: Eddie Lacy - RB - Alabama. Lacy was excellent all year but his performances to end the year against Georgia and Notre Dame really stood out

31. San Francisco 49ers: Eric Reed - S - LSU. Reid offers great value at this point and can be a nice complement to the 49ers secondary

32. Baltimore Ravens: Khaseem Greene - LB - Rutgers. If you have been living on the moon you may not be aware that Ray Lewis is retiring. Greene is a very different type of LB to Lewis but can help convering Gronk and Aaron Hernandez.

If the eagles don't get star or Luke j I would prefer them trading there pick for maybe a 2nd this year and a 1st next

This will change huge during the combine I'm expecting quite a few workout warriors this year and a few cam Newton/ rg3s that will climb way up the board

All in all though seems like one of the more unpredictable drafts in a long time Maby since the jake long/matt Ryan draft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

I think people are mis-remembering RG3 a lot. He was already the near-consensus #2 pick before the combine, all his height and already-known ability did was make it more of an open question as to if he was better than Luck.

Newton too was the best QB prospect on the board so it's not like he came out of no where to steal top billing, I'd be safe in saying the smart money was on him being a very high pick given ability and the desperate need for QBs at a lot of teams.

Syferus wrote: »
    I think people are mis-remembering RG3 a lot. He was already the near-consensus #2 pick before the combine, all his height and already-known ability did was make it more of an open question as to if he was better than Luck.

Newton too was the best QB prospect on the board so it's not like he came out of no where to steal top billing, I'd be safe in saying the smart money was on him being a very high pick given ability and the desperate need for QBs at a lot of teams.
    Yes but until about mid January people had rg3 going 2nd round

And very few people were confident with cam as a no1 until I think after the combine even up until the draft there where people saying he's be a bust

• Advertisement

What round to you all expect Tyler Bray to be drafted? I'd like for the Titans to grab him if it is the third round or after.

What round to you all expect Tyler Bray to be drafted? I'd like for the Titans to grab him if it is the third round or after.

3rd seems about right.

Smith, Barkley, Glennon, Wilson, Nassib and EJ Manuel should all be picked up before him so unless something ridiculous happens in the 1st round he'll be there.

Are you not sure about Jake Locker?

3rd seems about right.

Smith, Barkley, Glennon, Wilson, Nassib and EJ Manuel should all be picked up before him so unless something ridiculous happens in the 1st round he'll be there.

Are you not sure about Jake Locker?

I'm not convinced Jake Locker is accurate enough to ever be a viable franchise QB. He's been unlucky with injuries so I want to give him another year to see what he's got.It's a pity really because he's a very likeable guy who is very talented in certain areas of his game. I'd just like for the titans to be prepared. I'd rather Lockers back up be a young guy with potential than a vet who is past his best.

I'm not convinced Jake Locker is accurate enough to ever be a viable franchise QB. He's been unlucky with injuries so I want to give him another year to see what he's got.It's a pity really because he's a very likeable guy who is very talented in certain areas of his game. I'd just like for the titans to be prepared. I'd rather Lockers back up be a young guy with potential than a vet who is past his best.

I'm hoping with an injury free pre-season he will really be able to play up to his talent.

Hasslebeck seems to want to stay on for another year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Bjorn Werner will do well to crack the top 15 if you ask me, so overrated imho.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Bjorn Werner will do well to crack the top 15 if you ask me, so overrated imho.

Why do you say he's over-rated? He's pretty damn good if you ask me, and very little separating him and Damontre Moore as the top 4-3 DEs in the draft. I'd almost prefer Werner to Moore, but I always prefer the strength guys more than the speed guys so it's personal preference. Plus, I much prefer Werner's versatility to Moores.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Why do you say he's over-rated? He's pretty damn good if you ask me, and very little separating him and Damontre Moore as the top 4-3 DEs in the draft. I'd almost prefer Werner to Moore, but I always prefer the strength guys more than the speed guys so it's personal preference. Plus, I much prefer Werner's versatility to Moores.

Yeah, I'm hoping the Lions select him with their #5 pick.
    The DE's last season were garbage & now that Vanden Bosch has been cut & Avril likely to leave in free agency, the DE position needs new talent.

What do people make of the rumours of the Chiefs now acquiring Nick Foles fom the Eagles for mid-round pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭robluvshandegg

Is Geno Smith really the best quarterback in this draft? I think the difference's between him and Matt Barkley are actually fairly minimal. Both have decent potential and both have drawbacks that could be cruelly exposed if not nurtured and protected in the right system.

One idea I like for the Chiefs is drafting Luke Joeckel (A safer pick), then grabbing Barkley in the second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

What do people make of the rumours of the Chiefs now acquiring Nick Foles fom the Eagles for mid-round pick?

Reid likes him and Chiefs need a new QB so wouldnt be a big shock. If the Eagles can recoup a 3rd for him it's a decent deal seeing as Foles could struggle in the Chip Kelly offence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Delighted that both will throw, it pisses me off how often the top prospect QBs don't throw at it in recent years. If they're confident in their own mechanics it really should be easy enough for them.

Both QB's are in desperation mode now. Big mistake by Smith avoiding the senior bowl.

Both QB's are in desperation mode now. Big mistake by Smith avoiding the senior bowl.

How was it a big mistake? All the QBs at the Senior Bowl looked dreadful, aside from EJ Manuel who was only okay, and he's not a threat to Smith anyway. Smith is being talked about as the potential #1 pick - he'd have nothing to gain and everything to lose at the Senior Bowl.

If anything, the gap between Barkley/Smith and the rest of the QBs was made obvious at the Senior Bowl which was a good result for them.

I'd disagree with you there to be honest. None of the 6 QB's at the senior bowl improved their stock. (EJ Manuel solidified his. 2nd round status)

Smith has had a very low profile since his bowl game. If he has spent his time wisely and worked hard he a a great chance to impress and distinguish himself from the rest of the QB's.

The one caveat is I wonder how much a slow 40 time will affect him. A 4.9 40 or there abouts would dissapoint alot of people I reckon.

• Advertisement

How was it a big mistake? All the QBs at the Senior Bowl looked dreadful, aside from EJ Manuel who was only okay, and he's not a threat to Smith anyway. Smith is being talked about as the potential #1 pick - he'd have nothing to gain and everything to lose at the Senior Bowl.

If anything, the gap between Barkley/Smith and the rest of the QBs was made obvious at the Senior Bowl which was a good result for them.
    I'd disagree with you there to be honest. None of the 6 QB's at the senior bowl improved their stock. (EJ Manuel solidified his. 2nd round status)

Smith has had a very low profile since his bowl game. If he has spent his time wisely and worked hard he a a great chance to impress and distinguish himself from the rest of the QB's.

The one caveat is I wonder how much a slow 40 time will affect him. A 4.9 40 or there abouts would dissapoint alot of people I reckon.

Smith didn't improve his stock either. It was a great chance for Smith to not just make himself the #1 QB but to improve his stock as a top #5 player. He decided not to do that for whatever reason and I think that will put teams off. Look at Eric fisher, he didn't imrpove his stock as a LT. He was the #2 LT before the Senior bowl, he's still the #2 Lt but he did bump himself up at least 5 spots, if not 10. Smith could have done the same. If Smith had a great Senior Bowl you'd probably get the top 5 teams giving him a much better look than he's getting now.

If Smith had a great Senior Bowl you'd probably get the top 5 teams giving him a much better look than he's getting now.

If a top 5 team needs a QB, you can guarantee they're giving Smith as much attention as they can. A Senior Bowl appearance isn't going to change that. I'd go as far as to say the Senior Bowl is pointless for anyone who is already considered a top pick. Teams will have plenty of game tape, individual workouts, combine drills and one-on-one interviews to go on. Skipping the Senior Bowl wouldn't be a factor, and I doubt it ever has been for a QB looking to go #1 overall.

4.8 is pretty much the average for a QB who's not a dual threat.
    Why would it disappoint people?7

Think it'd be silly to use the #1 overall on any QB this year. Always so much focus on QB's where the real talent is in the O-Line and Defense this year.

On another note which round will Manti Te'o and Tyrann Mathieu go? In everyones opinion? I reckon last pick of the first/early second for Te'o and 4th round for Honey badger.

If a top 5 team needs a QB, you can guarantee they're giving Smith as much attention as they can. A Senior Bowl appearance isn't going to change that. I'd go as far as to say the Senior Bowl is pointless for anyone who is already considered a top pick. Teams will have plenty of game tape, individual workouts, combine drills and one-on-one interviews to go on. Skipping the Senior Bowl wouldn't be a factor, and I doubt it ever has been for a QB looking to go #1 overall.

Most QB's who have gone #1 have been pencilled into that spot before senior bowl. I'd say most teams would view the senior bowl as more important than the combine drills(bar interview). The problem for Smith is that he isn't necessarily considered a top pick. Top QB maybe, but not top consensus top 5 for example.

dojojoe wrote: »

4.8 is pretty much the average for a QB who's not a dual threat.
    Why would it disappoint people?7

Think it'd be silly to use the #1 overall on any QB this year. Always so much focus on QB's where the real talent is in the O-Line and Defense this year.

On another note which round will Manti Te'o and Tyrann Mathieu go? In everyones opinion? I reckon last pick of the first/early second for Te'o and 4th round for Honey badger.

Its hard to know with Te'o. I think that he will go in latter half of 1st round but he has alot of questions to answer at the combine (physically and the obvious lenny k ones)

I think the Honeybadger will go undrafted. He might sneak into the 6th or 7th if someone wants to take a chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement