Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5htp reviews and....

• 19-07-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭

Anyone ever tried 5htp? I am asking this as I am very depressed of late and am suffering a lot with anxiety and on top of that I have weight issues....

I think its illegal to buy in ireland, so if I had to buy this on the net, will I ever get it? or is there another alternative that works similar to 5htp?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Tried it as a sleep aid when I lived in the UK, did nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I have tried it before as a sleep aid but mixed it with Zinc & Magnesium, it gave me a good nights sleep but I tended to notice the effects wore off after a while. I Stopped taking it because it definitely didn't enhance my mood, it left me feeling kind of empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

s.a.man wrote: »
    Anyone ever tried 5htp? I am asking this as I am very depressed of late and am suffering a lot with anxiety and on top of that I have weight issues....

I think its illegal to buy in ireland, so if I had to buy this on the net, will I ever get it? or is there another alternative that works similar to 5htp?

Thank you :)

You can go cross border & get it in Holland & Barrett!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

OP i dont think that product is used for what you think it is..

its used to help increase serotonin levels that may been depleated and its popular for some people who might binge on a session with likes of pills and MDMA and want to recover.. thats really all iv4e ever heard of it been used for.. havent heard it been used of what you have mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

madma wrote: »
    OP i dont think that product is used for what you think it is..

its used to help increase serotonin levels that may been depleated and its popular for some people who might binge on a session with likes of pills and MDMA and want to recover.. thats really all iv4e ever heard of it been used for.. havent heard it been used of what you have mentioned

It's used alot in the treatment of depression, Fibromyalgia! There's not much evidence out there to back up it's efficacy but it seems to be quite a common use for it!

OP for what it's worth you should be talking to your Dr. about this!
    But IMO St. Johns Wort would be a better shout then 5htp! Plenty of studies done on it that suggest it's effective for mild to moderate depression read 11.1.6.2 here

• Advertisement
Advertisement