Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Congrats to the Dail members on earning their extended holidays

• 19-07-2012 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭

[sarcasm]
    As we can all see, that the country is in such great nick at the moment, thanks to the marvelous work of the members of Dail Eireann. TBF there is not much more work they could do to further improve this country's situation, i fully support their successful vote to extend their summer holidays.
    [/sarcasm]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

put country in auto pilot

sure will be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I wonder, will I get a postcard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Are they getting holiday pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Good to see they turn up for the important votes.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Even politicians deserve a holiday?

Don't they?

They do don't they?

Anyone agree with me?

Anyone?

Hello?

Is there anybody there?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

As we can all see, that the country is in such great nick at the moment, thanks to the marvelous work of the members of Dail Eireann. TBF there is not much more work they could do to further improve this country's situation, i fully support their successful vote to extend their summer holidays.
    thank fucking boards you are being sarcasitc..otherwise id have a lot to say on that..

an example of their ineptness and greed would be the scaling back of roscommon hospital where a girl had to go 2 hours to reach her nearest hospital due to a car crash,they are scaling back vital services and giving themselves payrises and extended holiday perks and what nots..its not on

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Where To wrote: »

Don't they?

They do don't they?

Anyone agree with me?

Anyone?

Hello?

Is there anybody there?

The Dail won't sit for two months - that's a problem given the current situation. We can't enact legislation..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

FIRST THING we should do is legislate for them not to sit on their expensive arses for two months..Imagine if a private company was run like that..They should be no different there providing a service for us..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

FFS a group of schoolchildren wouldn't have been exited to be getting their summer holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

hondasam wrote: »
    Are they getting holiday pay?

They are having a vote on "Should Dail Members get a holiday pay rise?" when they get back...i think they earned it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Will they be cutting social welfare to pay for their holidays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

We all need to recharge our batteries, it is not their fault, it is the fault of previous governments and there is nothing they can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Will they be cutting social welfare to pay for their holidays?

No, just some tax rises and money taken out of the Health System

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

Can't wait 'til their back. Missing 'em already.
    (Sorry, couldn't find a smiley to convey 'bitter sarcasm')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

put country in auto pilot

sure will be grand
    I thought the country was already on auto pilot anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The appearance of the "Dail Eireann" banner in the closing seconds seems deliberately placed, as if to say "Yes, this is how they really go on"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

The only politician I like is Ming.

Ming ming ming ming ming ming ming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Casillas wrote: »
    The Dail won't sit for two months - that's a problem given the current situation. We can't enact legislation..

The current situation will not be solved by any Bill currently in progress.

They will (hopefully) spend much of those two months reading and researching the Bills due over the next Dail term.

@ 0:16 the CC gets the wild laughter that the finest joke ever uttered in the Dail deserves-

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Coincidentally many tds were formerly teachers so I guess they would expect these holidays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

it is the fault of previous governments and there is nothing they can do about it.

And that concludes our run down of the top : excuses used by crap government parties

If only every profession could rely on such an excuse for EVERYTHING... "ah sure, twas the last fella did it so we cant fix it".

Does that mean that following this line of logic government can only get worse over a set timeline seeing as they cant "undo" past mistakes and only make new ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I thought the country was already on auto pilot anyway

More free fall than auto pilot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

I'm looking for night classes in muppetry, chronyism, how to collect brown envelopes, how to sell out a country, how to blame the last guy, bullsh1tology, pass the buck, la la land, all hail angela & the IMF, general incompetence and how to fiddle your tax and expense accounts.

I want to join the folks in the dail it's a great job...if you can call it a job :(

Shower of wasters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

To be honest, I think the country sometimes runs better without their constant interference and political motivated antics!

Now if some of them would take a permanent holiday ...happy days!

hightower1 wrote: »
    And that concludes our run down of the top : excuses ued by crap government parties

If only every profession could rely on such an excuse for EVERYTHING... "ah sure, twas the last fella did it so we cant fix it".

Does that mean that following this line of logic government can only get worse over a set timeline seeing as they cant "undo" past mistakes and only make new ones?

Yes, nothing will change, they enter politics young (maybe not as young as they used to) full of the fight, but it dose not take long for them to see the benefits of shutting the fook up and towing the line,

how can it change, the top people in power are poisoned while poisoning the people getting ready to replace them, for years there have been people elected to run our little island and for a lot of those years not doing a great job was accepted, so why change,

do they learn anything from past mistakes? I think not, even if they could grasp, ok lads we have fooked up but we have a chance to try our best to fix it..........or do we just let it run the course of time ( after all we will be sorted and our families will be sorted and most of our friends)

and by the time many families will have broken up, suicides committed, businesses ruined they will be safe, writhing autobiographies telling us what should of been done.

no point going down with the sinking ship when there is a beautiful yacht just of shore,

it will not be fixed, there is nothing in the future but very hard times for the people of Ireland, those who are still doing ok at the moment unfortunately will also become effected by the lack of action taken (and I do believe they do not know what that action should be, which is the most worrying thing),

there has been thread after thread about our economic situation now for years and nothing has changed for the better and it looks like it is only going to get worse,

maybe it is time for the discussions to end and for action to be taken?

while I do not think it is in the belly of the Irish people yet to say enough is enough and march on Dublin city in the 100s of thousands, (I think they have not been kicked in the gut enough yet) it might happen,

for all the shouting about social welfare being cut, this could be the one thing to start the ball rolling (it would need to be cut by more than 30%) but knowing the lads in power they will have this sussed and do it over 4-5 years, and as the fight grows it will die just as quick.

while this might look like hyper bull, what have they done for us lately.

If we don't give them plenty of time off, how are they to comprehensively milk their expense accounts? I mean, c'mon, wonga won't spend itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Where were United Left Alliance, I didn't hear Níl :confused:

No different to the rest of them but they were screaming over this sort of thing before they got in

I'm not singling them out for not say Níl, just I thought they would have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Sure it's all great gas for the bouays in the Dail anyway - unless a TV camera is being pointed directly at them, and a PR spindoctor has just given them a hard kick in the shins to remind them to "put on the serious face", it's all a laugh. If you were pulling in 100K odd, with the State to back you up, a solicitor to sue anyone who dares "slander or impune" you in any way and a guaranteed pension close down the line as well as perks, primping and holliers, sure it'd be great gas for you as well. Totally out of touch, totally pampered and a total waste of space and air. I give you, Dail Eireann, it's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Two months summer holidays from their work.

As in - as in no work - at all, at all?

So lets do some sums:

A quick google throws up that enda kennys salary is 200,000 PA

So we now take 2 months from 12 months and we have 10 months.

200,000 divided by 10 months is 20,000.
    That is 20,000 per working month.

Of course it won't be looked at like that because his salary will be spread over the 12 months so that they get paid during their 2 months off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Where To wrote: »

Don't they?

They do don't they?

Anyone agree with me?

Anyone?

Hello?

Is there anybody there?

TDs don't deserve a two month holiday.

But then again they don't actually get one. DE is not sitting for two months. During that time TDs will be back in their constituencies trying to get medical cards for their voters and listening to them whinging in the hope that it gets them re-elected.

Because once they get elected, the countdown is on to get re-elected. Actually running the country and improving it comes secondary to most of them. W*nkers. :mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Most of us could'nt do the job and even if we could we would'nt .I'd rather be out fishing any day or anything else rather than be a T.D . Follow a day-to-day schedule of a typical Dail Member and see if you could do it . No 9-5 with them and their households are like the Busarus . Even here on Boards is preferable .

paddyandy wrote: »
    Most of us could'nt do the job and even if we could we would'nt .I'd rather be out fishing any day or anything else rather than be a T.D . Follow a day-to-day schedule of a typical Dail Member and see if you could do it . No 9-5 with them and their households are like the Busarus . Even here on Boards is preferable .

and the most sickening thing about it is they don't even get paid.

paddyandy wrote: »

I've often thought entering politics in Ireland reflected a personality defect, so I have to agree with you to some extent. The same observation should lead you to the conclusion that the personality least suitable to running the country is the very same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

the look of (what I interpret as being) resignation on the face of Joe Higgins says a lot really..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

nice_very wrote: »
    the look of (what I interpret as being) resignation on the face of Joe Higgins says a lot really..
    At the same time the likes of himself , ming and the united left stayed silent when you would expect them to have voiced their opinion and represent the opinion of their constituents even if it would inevitably be in vain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement