Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petition Question

• 19-07-2012 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi All,

Can anybody tell me how many signatures are needed on a petition to call for an election in this country or to repeal a law or motion that has been passed by the Dail.

In fact, can anybody tell me if such a thing is possible?

Just wondering

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There's no such mechanism that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

There's no allowance for it in the Constitution, certainly. The most effective known mechanism is to write your petition on a placard and get OAPs to present them at the Dáil en masse.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

Thanks for that folks.

Is there any country that has such a mechanism I wonder?
    And if so, how well does it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Thanks for that folks.

Is there any country that has such a mechanism I wonder?
    And if so, how well does it work?

America has recall elections but only at State level.
    You can recall your governor but not your senator or president.
    Link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recall_election
    Switzerland also it seems, but again only at local level.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Under the pre-1937 constitution, AFAIR, there was a similar mechanism to what the OP mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

The Greens had something along those lines in their programme for government before getting elected (though much weaker, think it just got it debated in the Dáil). Of course they shelved it as soon as they sat down with Fianna Fáil. Britain has similar too, but again only gets it on the agenda in parliament.

Recall elections for your TD would be a great idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Feathers wrote: »

Recall elections for your TD would be a great idea.

They don't work in a multiseat constituency but do in single seaters or for a single post like a US State Governor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They don't work in a multiseat constituency but do in single seaters or for a single post like a US State Governor.

Yeah, or else you could possibly do it if you set the number of signatures ridiculously high for it, e.g. equivalent to everyone who voted in the last election, rather than the quota for that seat.

Thought it'd be great in terms of being able to have the option rather than the practicalities I guess :) Interesting from Wikipedia that Canada have it in some regions but it's never been used.

Advertisement