Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY

Options
  • 19-07-2012 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Anyone sorted there work experience out yet? ;D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

We don't have to apply until we go back to school but I'm going to apply for Microsoft in August because of the high demand, unlikely I get it but I may as well try

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Microsoft opened their TY programme since early July, look at careersportal.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Going to my old school for Christmas and then for the two weeks in June, I have no idea. I'm thinking something like a local radio station but it's not like I'll be able to go on the radio so theres no point.

I'd like to do it in a restaurant but they probably don't take people on.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Going to my old school for Christmas and then for the two weeks in June, I have no idea. I'm thinking something like a local radio station but it's not like I'll be able to go on the radio so theres no point.

Hi, it is difficult to get much proper experience during these placements, most will have you pushing paper for them and running errands. Some places will give you some practical experience. Give the places you're interested in a call with questions about what your responsiblities would be if you did work experience there and base your decision on that response.

I know a few people that worked in restaurants but they mainly ended up cleaning and serving tables. One person that I know worked in a bakery and helped prepare desserts.

The main thing that I'd say to you is to have an open mind, they may be able to facilitate you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you have a clear speaking voice and start volunteering now in a community radio station, there is no reason why, come June, you couldn't go on air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

I emailed a local radio station in the hope of work experience for a week but they emailed me back
    saying they only accept college students who need work exp because of the high demand!
    Im thinking of trying a few restaurants too because I wouldnt mind being a chef or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭ohsurelook

What kind of work experience stuff can I do,though?

Everyone so ends up doing primary teaching or working in a shop. They'd hardly let you perform heart surgery or defend a case in court,like...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

ohsurelook wrote: »
    What kind of work experience stuff can I do,though?

Everyone so ends up doing primary teaching or working in a shop. They'd hardly let you perform heart surgery or defend a case in court,like...

I know you're using these as examples but in regards to the medical field I have a friend who shadowed a doctor at a hospital, sure she had to clean out bed pans but she got to see a few operations. I know others that did work experience in an art gallery, a vet's practice, the theatre, UL etc. You may not get exactly what you want, or get to do the exciting stuff but at this stage you should be looking at places that you can actually see yourself working in as a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

My mam is refusing to let me up to Dublin or anything and I really cannot see anything for me in the Kildare area :/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭andymann

My mam is refusing to let me up to Dublin or anything and I really cannot see anything for me in the Kildare area :/
    Go to Kildare County council its not bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 iremainunknown

hey i was just wondering about applying for work experience in Genzyme in waterford. do you think this would be a waste of time because the company is so big? i doubt they even accept work placements

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Troxck wrote: »
    We don't have to apply until we go back to school but I'm going to apply for Microsoft in August because of the high demand, unlikely I get it but I may as well try
    You should've got a reply from them now, how did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    We will be accepting applications from July to September 28th 2012.  First offers will be sent on October 12th and must be accepted no later than October 19th 2012.

#needextracharacterstopost

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

We will be accepting applications from July to September 28th 2012.  First offers will be sent on October 12th and must be accepted no later than October 19th 2012.

#needextracharacterstopost
    Ahaha what a coincidence, both mine and my brother's birthdays are on 2 of those days.

Anyway last year it was like..
    Applications taken from August 23rd to September 16th.
    First offers on 19th of September.. I kept checking all day on the 19th and didn't get one, went to sleep and woke up to find my email recieved at like 10pm on 19th :p
    Best of luck to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Ahaha what a coincidence, both mine and my brother's birthdays are on 2 of those days.

Anyway last year it was like..
    Applications taken from August 23rd to September 16th.
    First offers on 19th of September.. I kept checking all day on the 19th and didn't get one, went to sleep and woke up to find my email recieved at like 10pm on 19th :p
    Best of luck to you

Cheers, ha ha I'd say you got a bit paranoid when you saw the two birthdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I ended up not applying. The dates were outside our work experience and travelling from where I live(2.5 hour train journey, twice a day) would not be feasible. Luckily, I asked my computer teacher as she knows I'm interested and e-mailed a few places closer to us. Hopefully they respond. I would have like to apply but it wouldn't have been easy to organise it.

Advertisement