Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad 2 for mum ?

• 19-07-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭

Probably been done before (I've read the iPad 3 vs iPad 3 thread) - my idea is buying a 16 Gb iPad 2 for my mother's birthday. She doesn't need 3g as the house is WiFi enabled. €399.
    Would buying from PC World or direct from Apple be the best bet ?
    Am I overlooking something obvious ?

Any opinions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Am I overlooking something obvious ?

Any opinions welcome.

save yourself a few quid :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'll be having one of them - however maybe a little small and fiddly for an 80 year old. I'll look into that. I'm more comfortable in the land of PC's ....she is a blank slate (no pun intended) so simplicity is best.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Although the nexus 7 looks great,

The ipad is more suited to people not used to technology , its simpler to use and and doesn't have as many settings to confuse the user.

i'd buy direct of apple, many stores have a very limited stock of the ipad 2 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,689 ✭✭✭squonk

kingtiger wrote: »
    save yourself a few quid :cool:

Snipped Nexus plug

Floating Voter is right. For the particularly tech unsavvy, the iPad is a better option. Android is simply too fiddly. 7" is too small for the types of uses an iPad will be put to. Like the rumoured 8" ipad, the Nexus is grand for a bit of reading and gaming but that's all.

You could save yourself some more cash by buying a refurb iPad2 from Apple. Currently they're out of stock but check this page regularly: http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FC769

€319 is a decent price actually. Apple Refurbs are excellent in that the machines are checked and recased so are like new. I bought a refurb iPad2 for my parents earlier this year and it's given great service since. I happen to think that the refurb products are even better than buying a new product because they've been thoroughly serviced and checked. All you're missing is the fancy iPad store box. You get a white box with ipad in grey script. That's the only difference. Unless a product has been just launched and I want it or I'm buying a Mac that I want control over the spec, I buy refurb these days.

Advertisement