Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat losing her teeth

• 19-07-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

My cat is only 3 years old and is really well looked after. When I took her to the vet a few months ago the vet said she needed to have a couple of extractions, which she did. Now I've brought her back to the vet again and the vet said her teeth had deteriorated in the last few months. She needs at least 3 teeth out and the likelihood is that eventually all her teeth will need to be extracted. I feed her the best food but it seems there is nothing I can do. Two of her front teeth are loose and they will be removed. Anyone else have experience with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Do you feed her dry food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Did the vet give you a reason why? Thats so strange in such a young cat, feeding only wetfood wouldnt have had that bad an effect so soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I would want some further investigation done, it's definitely not normal for a cat who is that young to be loosing teeth, wt food or not. Do the vet mention any cause? First port of call for me would be a full blod panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I feed her both dry food and wet food. The vet simply said it is hereditary in some cats. Vet said she will do a blood test if I want to rule out feline aids or feline leukaemia. Now, I have given her all her boosters every year but the vet said she could have picked it up before I got her (she is a rescue cat, i got her at 7 months). She seems so healthy otherwise that it's awful for this to happen. Benn feeding her Royal Canin Tartar Reduction dry food and Royal Canin wet food. I hate the thought of her losing all her teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

lubie76 wrote: »

Thanks for this link. it was very reassuring and informative.

Advertisement