Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need best man's speech translated to German

Options
  • 19-07-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi am best man a wedding on saturday.Groom getting married to german girl and there will be alot of german people there with little english so it would be nice to have speeches written out in german to give them some idea what we are talking about?Please can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Not sure that's such a good idea.
    The usual witty kind of best man's speech doesn't translate well into German. The end result would sound very wooden and clumsy. In order to make it sound good in German, you'd have to re-write it somewhat ...which would be a tough job for the translator who wouldn't know the details of what you're talking about.
    Just make sure that your speech contains a few easily understandable, simple compliments and thanks at well spaced intervals and the people with poor English will focus on those and skip the rest :D

Plus this being Thursday evening, Saturday is kinda very short notice for a decent translation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The strategy I saw at the last German/ Irish wedding was that one of the german speaking bridesmaids did a running translation beside the best man.
    For comedy moments it doesnt work, but for the main thanking the priest and that class of stuff it works a treat.

Sure maybe just do it like that, have a concise thank you section of the speech (+maybe how they met or whetever) that one of the bridesmaids with her own microphone translates and if you want to start reeling off cheeky stories of the past where yourself and the groom got up to divilment then maybe just dont bother translating it.

Where's the wedding anyhow? Germany or Ireland?

If its in Germany then make sure you have a think/ chat about the running schedule as this is very different than the Irish wedding (/american dream tv wedding that we copy).
    German weddings have normally wee games and other oddities, but I suppose the bridesmaids have that well under control at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Is it a long speech? Anything above an A4 page I'd consider work tbh. If it's in around that I'd give it a go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Amazon's Mechanical Turk can be good for stuff like this, in a hurry and on the cheap anyway.

Advertisement