Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Storey V Single Storey extension

Options
  • 19-07-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I live in an end of terrace house. It’s a standard size. Due to an expanding family I need some more room :)

I have room at the side of my house to build an extension. It is 21ft 4” in length and 16 ft 3” wide

I haven’t got any quotes or anything but was thinking a double extension would be more cost effective? The extra space would be useful as well.

Could anyone give a ballpark figure what would be a reasonable quote for the work ?

I was wondering would there be much difference in price between a single and double extension.

Thanks in advance
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,050 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to Prices/costs

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Barr wrote: »
    Hi All

I live in an end of terrace house. It’s a standard size. Due to an expanding family I need some more room :)

I have room at the side of my house to build an extension. It is 21ft 4” in length and 16 ft 3” wide

I haven’t got any quotes or anything but was thinking a double extension would be more cost effective? The extra space would be useful as well.

Could anyone give a ballpark figure what would be a reasonable quote for the work ?

I was wondering would there be much difference in price between a single and double extension.

Thanks in advance
    :)

Hi OP,
    I shouldn't think there would be any further cost per sq ft. for 2 story. Beyond any increases due to:
    - professional costs in planning
    - structural amendment to the existing building including roof, load characteristic
    - higher spec. to the construction
    - Wet rooms in the extra extension space
    - a few other things astay,

15 - 35 % cost above your price per sq ft.
    What part of the real capital are ya building in out of interest ?
    mike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Barr

Hi OP,
    I shouldn't think there would be any further cost per sq ft. for 2 story. Beyond any increases due to:
    - professional costs in planning
    - structural amendment to the existing building including roof, load characteristic
    - higher spec. to the construction
    - Wet rooms in the extra extension space
    - a few other things astay,

15 - 35 % cost above your price per sq ft.
    What part of the real capital are ya building in out of interest ?
    mike

Thanks for the advise Mike , It would be in Blackrock.

Would there be a need to engage an architect first or just go ahead getting quotes for the building works?

I'm also looking for recommendations for builders to do the work? So if anyone knows or has experience of someone who would do a good job please let me know.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Barr wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise Mike , It would be in Blackrock.

Would there be a need to engage an architect first or just go ahead getting quotes for the building works?

I'm also looking for recommendations for builders to do the work? So if anyone knows or has experience of someone who would do a good job please let me know.

Hi Barr,
    yes I would either engage an arch or engineer so some scope of what you wish to build is drawn up and you avoid any planning reg. breaches. & to also make sure your getting a correctly designed structure that meets with the existing building. You will also find it easier to get quotes 'off plan' from builders.
    Mike f

Advertisement