Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has AH has got too serious?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Nope.

You still got your 'joke' threads and you still got your 'serious' threads and thats whats good about AH. You can read all sorts.

Only problem is you can get a few as*holes posting some jokey comment in thread that there is no place for humor (for random example, someone posts a new story about 3 people getting knocked over. You'd always get a few wan*kers making a sick joke.)

how do you mean, like they got sick as they were knocked over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

how do you mean, like they got sick as they were knocked over.

not sure if you are the type of people I am talking about

or

you dont understand.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I think if you read it again you will see what he said was fook the roses.

:confused:
    So I see, hadn't read that far when I posted. I think a good lively debate is more interesting reading anyway than keyboard comedians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Chucken wrote: »

LOL is all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Most posters have a love/hate relationship with AH.

It's not you. It's us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

I think it has, everybody just posts here because of the numbers that frequent this forum, I think any religious threads here should be moved, and any on abortion, etc. either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Bessiebee wrote: »
    I'm not annoyed by your sick leave :D - I'm annoyed I'm not in the PS & have no intention of bashing anyone for making a better career choice than myself.

No didn't mean you personally, but there are some very bitter people out there, just look at the dole thread. If my sick leave p!sses those people off I sleep better, as I really do dislike being out of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

LoYL wrote: »
    Is it the recession? Mid age crisis? AH used to be the place for doing things outside the box (opening carefully left there...) but is it becoming the nerd ville of cyber space, the bored of boards.ie?

Try Aethiests and Agnostics / Religious forum

then try Cuckoos Nest

after that u will realise AH is perfectly placed between the insane and the insane :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Don't see why you are confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Bessiebee

Odysseus wrote: »
    No didn't mean you personally, but there are some very bitter people out there, just look at the dole thread. If my sick leave p!sses those people off I sleep better, as I really do dislike being out of work.
    No, am sorry but I can't do the dole thread at this hour of the night - besides, have had my fill of bitterness for a while from the OO thread - I was only trying to be helpful :(

Totally unrelated but can one change one's username??

Send sort code and bank details me :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

May I ask a serious question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's got seriously infested with knobjockeys alright.

Of course you may

• Advertisement

Yes you may but only if you tell me what :pac: means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Not as funny or random as it used to be, it's all about politics and the dole these days. The Ctiy slickers vs culchies / employed vs. unemployed tripe is old hat, too.

And immi-gants, can't forget the immi-gants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

No, am sorry but I can't do the dole thread at this hour of the night - besides, have had my fill of bitterness for a while from the OO thread - I was only trying to be helpful :(

Yes buy you have to subscribe to change you name. I'm not a mod here btw, only in psychology. In other forums we are just posters.

But back on topic, I do think AH has changed with all these dole, PS etc thread.

It's really a two part question....

1) How do they get the big skewer into doner kebab meat?

2) If they don't sell all the meat in one night, do they keep it hot all night or reheat it over and over till it's gone?

john47832 wrote: »
    Send sort code and bank details me :cool:
    Can you wait? Am still waiting on Ulster Bank to find them :mad: It is ok to mention said bank here, yes, or will I be accused of being a bigot ?

• Advertisement

It's really a two part question....

1) How do they get the big skewer into doner kebab meat?

well ye see the doner kebab meat comes from the donkey baby, hence the name doner keybab, this meat comes is square slices as donkey babes are small - the skewer is washed and surrounded with glue, then the small square slices are added

2 ) If they don't sell all the meat in one night, do they keep it hot all night or reheat it over and over till it's gone?

keep it hot all night

john47832 wrote: »
    well ye see the doner kebab meat comes from the donkey baby, hence the name doner keybab, this meat comes is square slices as donkey babes are small - the skewer is washed and surrounded with glue, then the small square slices are added

Oh, like papier machier but with donkey meat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Odysseus wrote: »
    Yes buy you have to subscribe to change you name. I'm not a mod here btw, only in psychology. In other forums we are just posters.

But back on topic, I do think AH has changed with all these dole, PS etc thread.

Trolling works both ways it seems.

Not donkeys, baby lamb's breast's :eek:

yep - thats why its cut off in slices

slices on, slices off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Have you seen molly

Well you learn something new everyday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Have you seen molly

my irish Molly?

she makes me want to dance:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

It's very serious. A serious place with serious people talking about serious things and these serious people don't like talking to people who aren't equally or greatlier as serious as they are about a given serious topic which you should only be talking about if you're someone who's serious and an expert in the matter.

The lolz :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

It's very serious. A serious place with serious people talking about serious things and these serious people don't like talking to people who aren't equally or greatlier as serious as they are about a given serious topic which you should only be talking about if you're someone who's serious and an expert in the matter.

The lolz :pac:

Are you serious?

I got a warning before on 1 post and recently got a yellow card now was only using free speach which thought was ok.

I didnt use any names or that just found it strange.

I find this country has gone mad and most are afraid to say anything or they will be put down as a racist or bashing a certain type of scum bag or whatever.

We need change

I find this country has gone mad and most are afraid to say anything or they will be put down as a racist or bashing a certain type of scum bag or whatever.

We need change

you want to be able to say what you like?

I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

Are you serious?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I hereby propose that anyone making a post/thread about After Hours being less fun should be also be obliged to simultaneously make a post/thread that's funny.

Shure its just a bit of banter like!

I do

not gonna happen here pal - you wanna go somewhere like Afterdawn, there lives controlled anarchy, anything goes, everyone fighting against the man, crusade like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Super-Rush wrote: »
    .....cool story bro, blasting with piss and yore ma.
    This made it get serious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Posters oscillate between being quite serious and being quite frivolous. That's the nature of this forum and it's why there is profound discussion on serious matters and well educated and elucidate points made, and then there is the pants on head brigade that make Rain Man look like a gifted social commentator.
    We're all in both groups to some extent and I think it's a good thing. If you couldn't take the piss or have a laugh or some commentary then you wouldn't be here, I know I wouldn't.
    There is a fine line drawn in AH and as disgusted as I am at it at times I think it is altogether executed very well and hats off to the people that put up with having to moderate it. They have my pity and unfathomable dismay. I have no idea why they would want to do the job.
    If the place is a bit more serious then thank God. Why would anyone want to go back to "Yore Ma" every second post. I recommend those people go play with their own feces and spare us whatever substitute regurgitated stock phrase they spew for lack of the ability to synthesize their own humour.

• Advertisement

cool

yea - this place can be too much some times, once I got banned for attacking a poster, mod said "attack the post, not the poster" - fcuk that I said, I've never seen a post that posted itself yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jester252 wrote: »
    The humor has just matured

Like cheese getting smellier?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Exactly like that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Jester252 wrote: »
    The humor has just matured

I'm got smellier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

So long as bannings happen, people are bitching and others are laughing at it, it's still AH.
    If you think it's too serious just make more non-serious topics.

It's really not that hard to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Shryke wrote: »
    Posters oscillate between being quite serious and being quite frivolous. That's the nature of this forum and it's why there is profound discussion on serious matters and well educated and elucidate points made, and then there is the pants on head brigade that make Rain Man look like a gifted social commentator.
    We're all in both groups to some extent and I think it's a good thing. If you couldn't take the piss or have a laugh or some commentary then you wouldn't be here, I know I wouldn't.
    There is a fine line drawn in AH and as disgusted as I am at it at times I think it is altogether executed very well and hats off to the people that put up with having to moderate it. They have my pity and unfathomable dismay. I have no idea why they would want to do the job.
    If the place is a bit more serious then thank God. Why would anyone want to go back to "Yore Ma" every second post. I recommend those people go play with their own feces and spare us whatever substitute regurgitated stock phrase they spew for lack of the ability to synthesize their own humour.
    +1000 S
    I got a warning before on 1 post and recently got a yellow card now was only using free speach which thought was ok.
    You do realise that the US notion of free speech doesn't quite exist in the same way in Ireland? Hell it doesn't quite exist beyond an idea in the self same US. It certainly doesn't exist on a privately run website that can be sued by anyone with an axe to grind. More it doesn't exist on a website whose motto is "don't be a dick" and good thing too. Shít philosophically it's up there with "free will" as a grey area. TBH the second I see someone use the "free speech" defence(though more usually framed as an attack) I get the beginnings of "oh FFS" for so many reasons.
    Yes that's a novel thought...
    We need change
    OK. So what's the plan for change? That's usually where this kinda thing falls flat on it's arse.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

Knex. wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember back in June when this place was a barrel of laughs...

AH was never a barrel of laughs, the forum is well known to have one of the strictest moderating policies. The only reasons I come here is because it's Irish - I go elsewhere to be entertained. It's obviously something to do with the advertisers here - they're scared ****le$$ they may not get their flow of dough if boards.ie became somewhat....well, you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Palytoxin wrote: »
    I think it has, everybody just posts here because of the numbers that frequent this forum, I think any religious threads here should be moved, and any on abortion, etc. either.

Abortion threads should be deleted, surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Abortion threads should be deleted, surely.

No, no. Once a thread is made it's alive and shouldn't be killed. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I haven't posted in a long time for that reason, AH went to the dogs. This evening I'm deciding to give it another shot!

I cam crawling back :P

I think it goes through phases.

I pick and choose what threads I read though. From (most of) the thread titles I know which way a thread will go so I make the decision to read it or not.

There is less banter allowed in threads though which at times can be frustrating if its on a roll. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement