Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Fantasy Premier League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

I'd be very surprised if he made any impact this season. He's on crazy wages and seems to contribute very little. I think it's more likely that he'll leave than he will become an integral part of the team.

Torres is nowhere near the same level of risk as Cole. Torres is effectively the only striker at club who have some of the best attacking midfielders in the PL, and as such he is pretty much guaranteed a start. You can't compare the two at all.

It's fine taking one risk if you're confident of it but from what I can see you're taking a few more as well. I wouldn't have Ferdinand in there. He hasn't scored a goal or gotten an assist in 5 seasons, and he's a bit suspect with the injuries (although not as bad as he used to be).

Will Dawson even get a game? Same for Santon. He came in and out of the team last season and he was very frustrating. When he played he was great and then he got dropped again for another few games. I'm not so sure about him.

You need to make sure that you have guaranteed starters at the very least. You have 3 that I'd be worried about (Cole, Dawson, Santon) and then there are others who may well be rotated at times (Ferdinand, Valencia).

Yeah I'm worried about Valencia being rotated, but Ferguson seems a fan. I'm not sure whether to pick him or Kagawa or Hazard. Santon is a quality player and I hope he'll be more settled this year, but I'm not sure Newcastle will repeat their good form of last year. Dawson is a risk too as Spurs have so many center backs so it all depends on who AVB most fancies beside Vertonghen, but he was very good before he got injured.

Cole will be interesting. He is on big wages but that's equally a barrier to a transfer. Under Rodgers, I think (hope :)) he could combine well with Suarez and have a really good year.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

Any ideas who will play in midfield for Reading.
    I have money to pick any player but who will be the better player.
    I'm torn between Guthrie and McInuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Is McCartney a guaranteed starter West Ham?

Presume Shorey/Harte will take game time off each other at LB for Reading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

ambid wrote: »
    I'm not quite clear on the point you're making. He seems very a Rodgers type of player, has incredible talent, and was very good for Lille last year playing in a No. 10 role. Everybody has to take a punt on some players in this game and he's only £6.0 so is a small enough risk.

I think Torres at £10.0 is a much bigger risk than Cole.

That is a myth spawned by the British media tbh. Cole played a fairly bit part role, especially in the latter half of the season, for Lille. Hence them not making any effort to sign him.

I would also question his "incredible talent". He was shocking for Liverpool in his 1st season and I cannot see it being any other way. If he is still at the club, let alone being regarded as an important player, at the start of season I will be very disappointed.

As a Liverpool fan, I wouldn't put him anywhere near the team tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Joe Cole 4 goals and 2 assists in 30 odd league games, stay well clear especially at the start of the season. See how it develops before putting him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Thanks for the feedback everybody. Maybe Brunt is a better option as my £6.0 midfielder. He'll probably pick up more assists and bonus points than Cole.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. Maybe Brunt is a better option as my £6.0 midfielder. He'll probably pick up more assists and bonus points than Cole.

Consider Noble for 5m or Nolan for 6m at West Ham.

Noble takes most penos and corners for the Hammers as far as I can tell and Nolan was fairly handy for goals when at Newcastle.

Dyer at 5.5m for Swansea could be a good shout from the start, they have an easy enough run first ten games.

Also, two players who should improve this year are Taarabt(6m) and Stephen Ireland(5.5).

Ireland last year was player of the year at Villa while playing a deep, more defensive role. This year I can see him given more of a license to go forward and could be fantastic under Lambert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Maybe have a look at either Noble from West Ham or Bannan from Villa who will be on the set pieces this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Argh Lukaku..so tempting...and for 6.5 :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Argh Lukaku..so tempting...and for 6.5 :/

He isn't even guaranteed to start for West Brom by any means, they already have Odemwingie, Long and Rosenberg.

Now that I think about it, it's a bizarre loan signing from Chelsea's point of view. Should have sent him to a club that will give him the best chance of playing regularly.

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    He isn't even guaranteed to start for West Brom by any means, they already have Odemwingie, Long and Rosenberg.

Now that I think about it, it's a bizarre loan signing from Chelsea's point of view. Should have sent him to a club that will give him the best chance of playing regularly.

Cox too :P

8944441.jpg

Think I need to improve my defence. 3-4-3 formation btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Knex. wrote: »
    Consider Noble for 5m or Nolan for 6m at West Ham.

Noble takes most penos and corners for the Hammers as far as I can tell and Nolan was fairly handy for goals when at Newcastle.

West Ham signed Diarra today which might mess up game time for noble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭whocares86

looking for a £4.5 million midfielder who will be playing for their team and doesnt play for Reading , any suggestions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

hey lads, skiving off work here, whats the code for this years leagues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Cox too :P

8944441.jpg

Think I need to improve my defence. 3-4-3 formation btw.

If anything I'd be saying cut money from your defense, 6.5m is too much to spend on any defender imo, I think there are also better options than Olsson for less than the 5m you've spent on him. Look at Carlos Cuellar, Ciaran Clark, Fabio, Nedum Onouha all for 4.5m and all will probably play every week. you could shave 2 or 3 million off that defense and upgrade Larsson to a Kagawa, Hazard, Mata etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

would anyone care to suggest any alternations to my team please?

screenshot20120811at170.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Liam O wrote: »
    If anything I'd be saying cut money from your defense, 6.5m is too much to spend on any defender imo, I think there are also better options than Olsson for less than the 5m you've spent on him. Look at Carlos Cuellar, Ciaran Clark, Fabio, Nedum Onouha all for 4.5m and all will probably play every week. you could shave 2 or 3 million off that defense and upgrade Larsson to a Kagawa, Hazard, Mata etc.

Yeah but Cole plays twice in GW 1, Wigan away and Reading at home :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

3 chelsea players whats up, upper hand is mine!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Is Ian Harte still the set piece taker for Reading??

• Advertisement

Grid. wrote: »
    Is Ian Harte still the set piece taker for Reading??

If Shorey doesn't oust him out of the starting lineup then yes, definitely.

Could be a bargain at 4.5m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

344uphz.jpg

comments please? its my first draft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Hutton won't play, Lambert has already said he's free to find another club. Vlaar could be a good alternative to the expensive Kompany.

Moses also, who will probably be a chelsea player soon, will only be a bit part player for them.

but not a bad team otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

who_ru wrote: »
    Hutton won't play, Lambert has already said he's free to find another club. Vlaar could be a good alternative to the expensive Kompany.

Moses also, who will probably be a chelsea player soon, will only be a bit part player for them.

but not a bad team otherwise.

forgot about hutton, and yeh if moses goes i'll swap him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Krul (Newcastle)

Johnson (Liverpool)
    Ferdinand (QPR)
    Hughes (Fulham)

Hazard (Chelsea)
    Cabaye (Newcastle)
    Silva (Man City)
    Sigurdsson (Spurs)

Ba (Newcastle)
    Borini (Liverpool)
    Jelavic (Everton)

Subs: Ruddy (Norwich), Collins (West Ham), Olsson (West Brom), Taylor (West Ham)

I'd take Fabio or Onouha in QPR's defense over Ferdinand. Think Hughes may have been dropped last season but could be wrong. Midfield is very good. Ba hasn't been great in FF terms since Cisse's arrival. That could change though and at 7m he's good value, there may be better out there though. Can't decide between Bent and Jelavic myself, have changed 2 or 3 times, Jelavic should be good and with United's current defensive problems makes me reconsider Bent every time I look at my team...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'd take Fabio or Onouha in QPR's defense over Ferdinand. Think Hughes may have been dropped last season but could be wrong. Midfield is very good. Ba hasn't been great in FF terms since Cisse's arrival. That could change though and at 7m he's good value, there may be better out there though. Can't decide between Bent and Jelavic myself, have changed 2 or 3 times, Jelavic should be good and with United's current defensive problems makes me reconsider Bent every time I look at my team...

Yeah wasn't sure on Hughes, I'll have another look.

Taking a chance on Ba alright, Borini too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

39265963.jpg
    subs are Friedel,Clyne,Allen,Lucas

Chelsea & Reading have 2 games suprised more are not picking there players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

MD1990 wrote: »
    39265963.jpg
    subs are Friedel,Clyne,Allen,Lucas

Chelsea & Reading have 2 games suprised more are not picking there players

But they have no game in gameweek 3. So means without replacing one of them you won't be able to field a full team.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    But they have no game in gameweek 3. So means without replacing one of them you won't be able to field a full team.
    i'll have 1 free transfer after gw 1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

i'll have 1 free transfer after gw 1

Dude, you are making one of the greatest mistakes any FPL manager can make...you are loading up on players from the team you support despite the fact that they have absolutely dire fixtures.

I wouldn't have any Liverpool player anywhere near my team until at least gw6.

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Dude, you are making one of the greatest mistakes any FPL manager can make...you are loading up on players from the team you support despite the fact that they have absolutely dire fixtures.

I wouldn't have any Liverpool player anywhere near my team until at least gw6.
    yeah might change some of them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

yeah might change some of them

Or all...

I have 4 players at this moment in time from Reading and Chelsea, was going to go in with 3 but decided after the game today that Silva is a bit risky to start next week. Will probably do so but I feel Hazard and Mata are better options for the first week anyway. Not going to make a transfer the first week unless I have a disaster with loads of players injured which is unlikely so that way before week 3 I can take stock and either get in Aguero or Silva with a good quality midfielder/striker with 2 of Hazard, Mata and Torres getting the bullet. It's a bit risky but one that's worth taking because it should hopefully pay off next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Signed up today, delirah with my squad:

GK: Carson, Rudd

Def: BAE, Kompany, Skrtel, Harte, R Taylor

Mid: Hazard, Kagawa, Lallana, Allen, Cazorla

FWD: Torres, Maiga, Lambert

Opinions?

Melion wrote: »

Opinions?

As said above, Liverpools first few fixtures are toxic and I can't see them keeping many clean sheets. Downgrade Skrtel to a 4.5m defender and improve on Lallana. Having Hazard, Kagawa and Cazorla is a big risk too I reckon. I do have Hazard and Kagawa but having 3 new signings and 4 players who have never played in the league before in midfield is too much of a risk imo. Rudd is Norwich's second choice keeper too btw.

Skrtel is there for goals, have a feeling he will get a few this season. Lallana is my tip for surprise of the season.

Opinions?

I don't think Carson is going to get you many points as I believe he is playing in the Turkish league :) (Presume you mean Foster?)

Rudd isn't number 1 for Norwich.

Harte is not a guaranteed starter with Shorey at the club.

Skrtel, I understand you think he will score goals or whatever, but get him in for good fixtures. His fixture list is dire. Same with Allen.

Kompany is over priced at 7.5.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I don't think Carson is going to get you many points as I believe he is playing in the Turkish league :) (Presume you mean Foster?)

Rudd isn't number 1 for Norwich.

Harte is not a guaranteed starter with Shorey at the club.

Skrtel, I understand you think he will score goals or whatever, but get him in for good fixtures. His fixture list is dire. Same with Allen.

Kompany is over priced at 7.5.

I always have a 4.0 as backup keeper. I know it's not John Ruddy.
    I'm not sure why I always mix Carson up with Foster :)
    If Harte doesn't start first 2 games he'll be replaced.

Probably be better with two 4.5 goalkeepers that rotate well. Same price as Foster & Rudd who as mentioned is unlikely to play.

Here is a picture of how teams rotate till Christmas. Since you have to play your January wild card then anyway that's as much as really matters. It also does not include games that are at home to Utd or City.

I went with West Ham and Stoke personally.

Hope IMG isn't too big.

db1b8ed6c019d5f1debb9148ec2f35b3.png?1344810185

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I can't make heads or tails of that image.

What do the different numbers mean? Haven't a clue what the different shadings signify either.

• Advertisement

What do the different numbers mean? Haven't a clue what the different shadings signify either.

Sorry. The number relates to home many home games each pair of teams have, excluding home games vs Utd or City. The red ones are the best pairings, dark blue next best, light blue next & the white ones the worst.

So you can see that my GK pairing of West Ham and Stoke have 22 home games till Xmas which makes them a solid pairing. Means each week you will basically have a keeper playing at home and not against either of the Manchester clubs.

Hope that makes a little more sense. Handy pic as last thing you want is two cheap keepers who both play home same weeks etc.

here's a better version with the scale.

0770f33c913ab78e6a7786181b34a7e9.png?1344686020

not sure how useful it is, the home and away rotation I always felt was a bit useless. A good FF player will do well no matter if they are home or away. You will generally be able to make a good amount of your lesser players be at home with 3 subs.

not sure how useful it is, the home and away rotation I always felt was a bit useless. A good FF player will do well no matter if they are home or away. You will generally be able to make a good amount of your lesser players be at home with 3 subs.

Most players will do better at home though. So it can be very useful if used correctly. IMO of course.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Most players will do better at home though. So it can be very useful if used correctly. IMO of course.

Oh no I agree, the more at home the better but the point is that basing your choices on it isn't the way to do well outside maybe the goalkeepers because most don't have a top 4 one. I have 6 players who are all in the top 3 or 4 teams in the league who even their replacements if needed will be in my team every week and you just have to rotate the other 8 outfielders into who has the best fixtures and 9 times out of 10 at least 3 of them will be at home so it's grand.

Oh no I agree, the more at home the better but the point is that basing your choices on it isn't the way to do well outside maybe the goalkeepers because most don't have a top 4 one. I have 6 players who are all in the top 3 or 4 teams in the league who even their replacements if needed will be in my team every week and you just have to rotate the other 8 outfielders into who has the best fixtures and 9 times out of 10 at least 3 of them will be at home so it's grand.

Yea I agree but I showed the picture after some one was asking about goalkeepers and that's all I referenced it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

First draft -

Szcezsny
    Begovic

Shawcross
    Cole
    Baines (dead balls)
    Simpson
    Martin

Larsson (dead balls)
    Mata
    Michu (good record last year in Spain)
    Noble (dead balls)
    Yaya

Torres (two nice fixtures to start, see how he goes)
    Aguero (my shout for top scorer)
    Pogrebnyak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Reina, Mignolet,

A Cole, Harte, Hangeland, Clark, O'Brien,

Allen, Kagawa, Walters, Toure, Noble,

Rooney, Tevez, Torres

All comments welcome.

For the sake of 0.5 (Jussi, Fed, etc), you are going to go with one dead keeper for the season?

Or why not get Green at 4.0 for QPR who will probably play?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

First Draft:

teamev.jpg

Not sure about a couple of them, will have another look later.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    First draft -

Szcezsny
    Begovic

Shawcross
    Cole
    Baines (dead balls)
    Simpson
    Martin

Larsson (dead balls)
    Mata
    Michu (good record last year in Spain)
    Noble (dead balls)
    Yaya

Torres (two nice fixtures to start, see how he goes)
    Aguero (my shout for top scorer)
    Pogrebnyak

Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Arsenal, United in the first 8 GWs for Stoke. Dodgy to have a keeper and a defender from Stoke for that run of games. Especially when Szcezsny is up against, Liverpool, City, Chelsea in 3 of the first 6.

Everton usually start poorly. It's a risk to have an expensive defender, when his team usually concede plenty of goals early on, solely on his set piece ability. It is generally best to go for him in the second half of the season.

Having no Spurs coverage for (starting GW2) West Brom(H), Norwich(H), Reading(A), QPR(H) is a risk.

Similarly, no United coverage for (starting GW2) Fulham(H), Southampton(A), Wigan(H) is a risk.

Though, you could probably fix both for a -4 hit, if you are set on that for GW1.

Advertisement