Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security System quote(s)

Options
  • 19-07-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi All

I'm currently in the market for a security system (currently have nothing, and the house is fully pre-wired).

So I called Eircom Phone Watch to get a quote as a starting point, I intend on getting a few other quotes but want to make sure I am comparing like with like.

(This is a fully wired system, just short of getting out a ladder it's not possible to access the 2nd floor without going through the hall.)

Currently I am quoted for:

Windows : 17 - these are all inertia based
    Entrance Doors : 2
    French Doors : 2
    Keypads : 3
    Hall Sensors (upstairs, downstairs) : 2
    Boxes : 2 (one on the house and garage, my understanding is that these just blink)

This came in at €1800.
    Then it's 25.25 per month for monitoring (I believe a 12month contract)

Before I start calling around try to get like for like quotes, I would like a few opinions on some things:

1. Is this good or bad value.
    2. Is the Eircom phone watch system recommended or merely a brand with good marketing & presence
    3. What is the phone watch service actually like, as with most living in the country side you can feel a tad exposed and just want to know if their service lives up to their marketing?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A few question to make sure your comparing like with like if your getting a quote from Eircom.

Will my alarm be monitored by land line or GSM.?
    If GSM?
    Can your GSM dialled be jammed.?
    The answer is yes... There is no GSM device that can't be jammed.
    Also ask can your alarm be connected to other phone providers like UPC etc.
    The answer here is also yes. Eircom for some reason will say no.
    Are all ground floor and accessible windows and doors protected by both sensors and contacts? Sensors alone will not tell you if a window is open when your setting the alarm.
    Contacts alone will not activate if a window is broken.
    Ask is an external bell included, if not how much extra is this?
    Ask what's covered under your service contacts, are all calls covered?
    If you are paying annual maintenance you should not have to pay any other charges in relation to calls to maintain the system.
    Ask if you can ,in the future, change the system to self monitoring, if you don't wish to continue paying for monitoring.
    After that I would recommend getting at least 2 other surveys from 2 other licensed company's. Most will do all of the above.
    If you want the most secure form of monitoring ask about Radio Digis.

On your quote , I would say its a little on the high side. Shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

pixelFX wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm currently in the market for a security system (currently have nothing, and the house is fully pre-wired).

So I called Eircom Phone Watch to get a quote as a starting point, I intend on getting a few other quotes but want to make sure I am comparing like with like.

(This is a fully wired system, just short of getting out a ladder it's not possible to access the 2nd floor without going through the hall.)

Currently I am quoted for:

Windows : 17 - these are all inertia based
    Entrance Doors : 2
    French Doors : 2
    Keypads : 3
    Hall Sensors (upstairs, downstairs) : 2
    Boxes : 2 (one on the house and garage, my understanding is that these just blink)

This came in at €1800.
    Then it's 25.25 per month for monitoring (I believe a 12month contract)

Before I start calling around try to get like for like quotes, I would like a few opinions on some things:

1. Is this good or bad value.
    2. Is the Eircom phone watch system recommended or merely a brand with good marketing & presence
    3. What is the phone watch service actually like, as with most living in the country side you can feel a tad exposed and just want to know if their service lives up to their marketing?

Thanks

That is a good price for the system once it is a Securewave not Securewatch system they are installing. They use point ID sensors which are more expensive than the standard global sensors. The good thing about using them is if there is a loop of windows together then each sensor is given there own point, e.g there own name even if they are grouped together. If you have the system monitored the first year then you can get it to contact you rather than them in the second year. Just make sure it is the Securewave system if you do go ahead with the quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Make sure the bell boxes ring aswell as blink . Try negotiate a free keyfob for it aswell ;) . +1 about asking for radio .
    Make sure they set up the zone audio on the secure wave panel . Yes phonewatch is just a brand and there are plenty of other better companies out there . They use HKC & GE security systems. Make sure you get in writing a list of everything that will be installed .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Make sure the bell boxes ring aswell as blink .

Just ask for a live bell, €260 for the privilege off P.W but it is worth it if you do decide to move away from the monitoring at a later date.. With a radio installed then you will not be able to self monitor the system at a later date..

Advertisement