Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such thing as a part time PhD?

Options
  • 19-07-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm just about to finish a part time masters in Renewable Energy. I didn't really get what I wanted from it but the research project was quite good. The circumstances aren't right for me to do a full time time PhD but a part time one might just be what I'm looking for.

So is there such a thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

WilcoYHF wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm just about to finish a part time masters in Renewable Energy. I didn't really get what I wanted from it but the research project was quite good. The circumstances aren't right for me to do a full time time PhD but a part time one might just be what I'm looking for.

So is there such a thing?

Yes, the unis that I know usually offer all or most of their PhD's also on a part-time basis. I'd say it just depends on your supervisor, project etc. Once you have sorted that out and discussed the possibility of doing the PhD part-time with your supervisor you should be able to registere as a part-time PhD student.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jay777

However getting funding for a part-time PhD may be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Jay777 wrote: »
    However getting funding for a part-time PhD may be difficult.

This

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Apart from obvious things like the length of time allowed for its completion, and the accompanying effect on fees, does anyone know if there is a practical difference between a part-time and full-time PhD?

For example does registering full-time for a PhD entail commitments to the University to give tutorials and other stuff like that?

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Apart from obvious things like the length of time allowed for its completion, and the accompanying effect on fees, does anyone know if there is a practical difference between a part-time and full-time PhD?

For example does registering full-time for a PhD entail commitments to the University to give tutorials and other stuff like that?

It depends on your field but usually those commitments are competitive and a good thing to get (from a financial perspective). In most cases, I would imagine that if you didn't want them, you wouldn't need to take them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

On the other hand, and thankfully this seems to be a minority, but is sometimes the case - in UCD Physics, all PhDs need to do some tutoring/demonstrating unpaid. Not much, but some. I believe Engineering is the same.

Raphael wrote: »
    On the other hand, and thankfully this seems to be a minority, but is sometimes the case - in UCD Physics, all PhDs need to do some tutoring/demonstrating unpaid. Not much, but some. I believe Engineering is the same.

Are those for students who have some portion of their fees/stipend paid by the university or is it a programme requirement?

Advertisement