Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

power drops when turn on shower

Options
  • 19-07-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Am planning on updating an old house. Was done up in the 80's and all rewired and heating system put in so in reasonable knick. Only prob is not enough sockets etc around, but am worried as wehn put on the shower for example the power on all other appliances and lights drops. How could this be fixed? Do i need to rewire the whole house? Also the fire is connected to a back boiler which is connected to a pump which has to be turned on by a switch to circulate the hot water. This eats electrticity and was wondering could this be fixed? Hoping not too much mula......
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

shell53 wrote: »
    Am planning on updating an old house. Was done up in the 80's and all rewired and heating system put in so in reasonable knick. Only prob is not enough sockets etc around, but am worried as wehn put on the shower for example the power on all other appliances and lights drops. How could this be fixed? Do i need to rewire the whole house? Also the fire is connected to a back boiler which is connected to a pump which has to be turned on by a switch to circulate the hot water. This eats electrticity and was wondering could this be fixed? Hoping not too much mula......
    Thanks in advance

The shower causing the lights to noticeably dip would be likely down to the esb supply into the house and/or the tails from the meter to your fuseboard/mcb board.

A heating circulating pump should not use very much electricity. What makes you believe your one is?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 to what Robbie says.

Is this house in a rural area?
    The mains cabling between the ESB meter and the distribution board may also be undersized.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shell53

Yeah rural area, house down a long lane with one power line supplying the house. The fuseboard is really old? Well bout 30 yrs old? If I updated this?
    Just conclusion we came to bout why our bill was so high over the winter and we put it down to using the pump off the fire more? Glad to hear its not high on electricity :)
    Do u think it wud cost much so to update?
    Thanks for advice! Am a novice here and dont wanna be ripped off for my lack of knowledge

Advertisement