Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding name to tenancy in Dublin

Options
  • 19-07-2012 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi, myself and family are in total turmoil at the moment. I'm separated from my husband the past two years and am in the family home. He's refusing to pay the mortgage and I am running out of money to do so. Our oldest daughter is planning to go to college in Dublin later this year. Is there any way she could have her name added to the tenancy of her grandmothers house (my own mothers)? We lived there when she was a young child and we visit regularly when we can. I am so worried that I will not be in a posn to cover basic oil/maintenance/petrol bills etc to keep us going where we live rurally, and I may need to leave the family home or we may end up putting it on the market. Does anyone know if I sold the family home could I move in with my mother with view of becoming a tenant down the road?
    Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I never thought I would find myself in this posn with young children having worked for years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is this a council property? There will be specific rules, but I imagine it would be something that would generally be encouraged, as it would make better use of the property. As council rents are based on income, the rent would be reviewed.

If it is private property, adding you to the lease would be at the discretion of the landlord. Some, but not all, leases specify that all residents must be identified to the landlord. I imagine most landlords wouldn't object, unless they thought there was an increased risk of wear and damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Thanks Victor, it's a Dublin city council property and my mum has lived there for years and myself and daughter did live there for a number of years after she was born.

Has anyone experience of adding a name to tenancy? My daughter is over 18 and moving out of the family home to go to college in few months. I would like to make sure though that it wouldn't cause any issue for my mum if we were to look into this.. Any further comments much appreciated.

Does anyone know how I would go about adding my daughters name to the tenancy? I am looking into various options long term for my family and I am now unable to meet mortgage payments on my own home. Am thinkng that long term moving back into my mum's may be the best option.. (never thought I'd say that )
    If there's anyone with info about getting a name added to a tenancy would really appreciate it . thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You need to contact Dublin City Council immediately- its not as black and white as you seem to be imagining- you can't just 'add someone to a lease'. Contact them and open a line of communication with them- and make sure they are aware of how critical the issue is.

The family home- and the selling of it- is a separate issue- that you will also need to urgently address.

Hi, thanks. I dont' expect it to be straightforward and think that maybe my daughter would have to live there for a number of years before being added. Have a huge amount to sort out and trying to piece things together but I think contacting the council directly might be a good starting point. Thanks so much for the feedback and if there's anyone that has gone through something similar would really appreciate any further feedback. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement