Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going out in Dublin

Options
  • 19-07-2012 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭

Myself and a few lads are going for the weekend to Dublin, where staying in the Bewleys Inn.

I'm only 20 myself, would I get refused by pubs and club, because I'm not over 21? And can anyone reccommend any places to go out?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

What sort of music are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Twee. wrote: »

Anything bar Rock/ heavy metal. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Twee. wrote: »

Yep, need to know what kind of places you'll be 'trying' to get into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm totally into rock and metal myself, but some other places that play dancey and RnB music that would kind of suit your age range would be -

The Vaults (behind Connolly Station, over 18s so no bother getting in).

21s (D'Olier Street, mainly filled with 18-23 year olds, chart music, RnB, etc, never any hassle getting in personally).

Fitzsimon's (Temple Bar, 18s AFAIK, chart and RnB mostly, never had hassle getting in when I was 18).

Sin (Temple Bar, behind the Purdy Kitchen/Meeting House Square. Over 18s, mostly young-ish people, RnB mostly. Never any hassle getting in, and they do drink promos on the weekends, where you pay fifty euro entrance and get unlimited drink all night. Good if any of you are heavy drinkers!).

Can't think of any others off the top of my head. There are absolutely loads more, but those are the only ones off the top of my head that you'd have no trouble getting in to which play stuff other than rock or metal. It's been a few years since I've been anywhere other than pubs or rock/metal clubs, so I'm sure there are others too! :p

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I'm totally into rock and metal myself, but some other places that play dancey and RnB music that would kind of suit your age range would be -

The Vaults (behind Connolly Station, over 18s so no bother getting in).

21s (D'Olier Street, mainly filled with 18-23 year olds, chart music, RnB, etc, never any hassle getting in personally).

Fitzsimon's (Temple Bar, 18s AFAIK, chart and RnB mostly, never had hassle getting in when I was 18).

Sin (Temple Bar, behind the Purdy Kitchen/Meeting House Square. Over 18s, mostly young-ish people, RnB mostly. Never any hassle getting in, and they do drink promos on the weekends, where you pay fifty euro entrance and get unlimited drink all night. Good if any of you are heavy drinkers!).

Can't think of any others off the top of my head. There are absolutely loads more, but those are the only ones off the top of my head that you'd have no trouble getting in to which play stuff other than rock or metal. It's been a few years since I've been anywhere other than pubs or rock/metal clubs, so I'm sure there are others too! :p

NOne of these are really Rock or Metal bars, tho.

I'm thinking Fibbers and Bruxelles and Sub Lounge. What about Whelans?

Should be no bother getting into any of these places.

• Advertisement

Brokentime wrote: »
    NOne of these are really Rock or Metal bars, tho.

I'm thinking Fibbers and Bruxelles and Sub Lounge. What about Whelans?

Should be no bother getting into any of these places.

The OP said anything BAR rock/metal. :p I personally go to poison, hell, bruxelles, fibbers, etc. :) But he said he doesn't like rock or metal so I'm trying to tell him places that are the complete opposite. :p

The OP said anything BAR rock/metal. :p:p

Balls, I read that too quickly. I kinda thought it read "Any bar with rock/metal" :p

Okay, all those places you said. Also, is Tramco still open? (kip, but a good laugh)
    I personally go to poison, hell... tongue.gif

What the? Where are these places? I left Dublin nearly 3 years ago - never heard of them before I left.

Balls, I read that too quickly. I kinda thought it read "Any bar with rock/metal" :p

Okay, all those places you said. Also, is Tramco still open? (kip, but a good laugh)

What the? Where are these places? I left Dublin nearly 3 years ago - never heard of them before I left.

I've never been in Tramco, so no idea!

Hell is a club run in O'Reilly's down by Tara St. Station on a Saturday and occasionally a Sunday. It's decent, plays heavier music than the likes of Bruxelles and no scumbags in it like Fibbers. Also REALLY cheap drink promos every week.

Poison is run by Hell. They take over 21s every Thursday, run cheap drink promos, etc.

The other place I love is the Gypsy. Same kind of music as Fibbers, with some classic and glam rock thrown in, decent drink prices, no scum, lovely staff and a great atmosphere.

Come back and visit! :p

Hell is a club run in O'Reilly's down by Tara St. Station on a Saturday and occasionally a Sunday. It's decent, plays heavier music than the likes of Bruxelles and no scumbags in it like Fibbers. Also REALLY cheap drink promos every week.

Poison is run by Hell. They take over 21s every Thursday, run cheap drink promos, etc.

The other place I love is the Gypsy. Same kind of music as Fibbers, with some classic and glam rock thrown in, decent drink prices, no scum, lovely staff and a great atmosphere.

Hell at Tara Street station - that does really sound like Sub Lounge. Is it very red inside?

Hell at Tara Street station - that does really sound like Sub Lounge. Is it very red inside?

Nah, it's all black mainly. It's only open about a year.

• Advertisement

Nah, it's all black mainly. It's only open about a year.

I'll give it a whirl next time I"m home. Ta for the recommend.

OK, what else can we come up with for the OP?

Porterhouse
    Reeds
    Messr Maguires
    The Church
    Sosumi (spl?)
    The George (I'm not gay but I've had a few funny nights with friends in here)
    The Globe and Ri-Ra

I'll give it a whirl next time I"m home. Ta for the recommend.

OK, what else can we come up with for the OP?

Porterhouse
    Reeds
    Messr Maguires
    The Church
    Sosumi (spl?)
    The George (I'm not gay but I've had a few funny nights with friends in here)
    The Globe and Ri-Ra

War
    Panti-Bar
    The Dragon
    Q Bar
    Break for the Border

That's all I can think of. I'm out of ideas!

Q Bar

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

I'm also out in Dublin for the night with a couple of mates. Where's a few good places to go if you're into indie/rock music. I'm thinking of ending up in Whelans but any suggestions for cool pubs before that?

I'm also out in Dublin for the night with a couple of mates. Where's a few good places to go if you're into indie/rock music. I'm thinking of ending up in Whelans but any suggestions for cool pubs before that?

Over to you, Lynda

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If you are going to Whelans, I would pop into The Long Hall first for a couple then maybe dig across to Hogans then on up to Camden Street for a couple in Solas or Anseo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Do you work there?.

Do you work there?.

:pac: I wish. Nah, I work in a candle shop. Wouldn't ever promote a place I work in on boards because of the whole no-shilling thing. :) I just like the place. It seems similar to Fibbers, but always seem to have more fun there. :)

To the guy who likes indie/rock - if you want to stay up by Whelan's, try the places like Solas and such that are mentioned above. If you're looking to go somewhere a bit more central first, maybe Bruxelles or something? Messrs is always good for a few pre-drinks, but no rock contingent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Great spot for a pint and some shenanigans of a Sat night!! Staff are gems too.................the girls, not the guys!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Bernard Shaw and Twisted Pepper are quite good too
    http://www.bodytonicmusic.com/events/

Against the Grain is good for its selection of beers.

Whelans is pretty good too.

Lux23 wrote: »
    If you are going to Whelans, I would pop into The Long Hall first for a couple then maybe dig across to Hogans then on up to Camden Street for a couple in Solas or Anseo.

The Long Hall - there was always a mad smell in there. Great pints and quintessentially grumpy service, too.

But that smell. Like bleach and .... pish

As weird as this sounds, is this place Hell?

http://publin.ie/2011/sub-lounge-oreillys/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

hell is where sub lounge used to be I think.
    so sue me is now the dragon which is a gay club
    bernard shaw is awesome and you'll have no trouble getting in. Go to coppers after that, it's what lads up from the country do. Kip though.

budgemook wrote: »
    so sue me is now the dragon which is a gay club

I thought the Dragon was just a few doors up from The George?

Sosume was further down that street, over the road from Hogans....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

:pac: I wish. Nah, I work in a candle shop. Wouldn't ever promote a place I work in on boards because of the whole no-shilling thing. :) I just like the place. It seems similar to Fibbers, but always seem to have more fun there. :)

Sorry if I came across like I was questioning you, I was just curious thats all.

frag420 wrote: »
    Great spot for a pint and some shenanigans of a Sat night!! Staff are gems too.................the girls, not the guys!!

Tbh I find all the staff great there, male and female. One chick working behind the bar was so nice that I gave her my fairy wand on Gay Pride night. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Thanks very much for the responses, much appreciated.

Any pubs around Clondalkin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Luap wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the responses, much appreciated.

Any pubs around Clondalkin?

Hush at the Red Cow. The Arc in Liffey Valley. The Village Inn in Clondalkin village. Then there's the Plaza in nearby Tallaght and Entourage which is also in Tallaght.

These places can be hit and miss though so I would suggest heading into the city centre for more variety and better chance of having a good night in somewhere that suits yourself and the lads.

Have a good one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

As weird as this sounds, is this place Hell?

http://publin.ie/2011/sub-lounge-oreillys/

It is indeed. The bar is called O'Reillys Sub Lounge as far as I know or else it was one and is now the other. Some people call it O'Reillys and some call it Sub Lounge! There seemed to be some confusion there. Club Hell is just a rock and metal themed night which is run by a promotions company and they "rent out" the pub, so to speak. There's great craic to be had although it does get VERY packed which can sometimes be both a good and bad thing.

Advertisement