Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz WHV question

Options
  • 20-07-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I read the FAQ section but couldn't find the answer to this.

I was granted a WHV for Oz in February 2012. I have to enter Oz by Feb 2013 but I'm not sure if I will be going now but would be aiming to go in Summer 2013 instead.

1. If I don't use this visa and don't enter Australia before Feb 2013, can I reapply for another WHV in 2013 with a view to heading in June 2013?

2. Will the Australian authorities look unfavourably at my application if I haven't used the visa first time around when I apply for another WHV next year? (I heard this can sometimes be the case???)

3. Or do I have to apply for the skilled workers visa instead of the WHV next year?

Thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

1. If I don't use this visa and don't enter Australia before Feb 2013, can I reapply for another WHV in 2013 with a view to heading in June 2013?

I wouldn't advise doing this without first contacting Immigration and telling them your not able to use your first visa. It doesn't just expire and you start afresh.

2. Will the Australian authorities look unfavourably at my application if I haven't used the visa first time around when I apply for another WHV next year? (I heard this can sometimes be the case???)

I can't imagine they can discriminate so long as you had a valid reason for changing your dates.

Or do I have to apply for the skilled workers visa instead of the WHV next year?

If you can get this, why would you apply for the WHV anyway? This visa allows you much more scope to find work and has much more security and less restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You can cancel your first one then reapply. But better off applying 1-2minths beforehand rather 1 year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

You can cancel it anytime before going to Australia, you won't lose it but you won't get refunded and so you can then apply for it again when it suits you. If you just let the time frame expire by not cancelling it and don't enter Australia before February then it counts as your whv and you won't be able to apply again.

Advertisement